Start by marking “Walk Me Home” as Want to Read:
Walk Me Home

Walk Me Home

Since their mother’s sudden death, sixteen-year-old Carly and her eleven-year-old sister, Jen, have been walking and hitchhiking across the Southwest trying to find Teddy, the closest thing they have to a family. Carly desperately hopes Teddy will take them in and save them from going into foster care—and forgive them for the lies told by their mother.

But when the starving
Published April 23rd 2013 by Amazon Publishing (first published March 14th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Walk Me Home, please sign up.
DaveR The story begins kind of in the middle with the two girls leaving in the night to find a new home. One of the flashbacks takes us to that point in…moreThe story begins kind of in the middle with the two girls leaving in the night to find a new home. One of the flashbacks takes us to that point in time and we discover their mother had died in a car wreck just prior to their leaving. They left in a hurry to avoid child protective services.(less)

Start your review of Walk Me Home
Erin
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sisters, Carly and Jen have been through a lot together. Their mother is inconsistent and moves her girls based on the man that she's living with at the moment. The story begins with the two girls fleeing the latest home after the death of their mother and heading towards the man, Carly hopes will take them back. But as the girls hitchhike across Arizona, Carly begins to feel that Jen may not share the same enthusiastic dreams as she does.

This is my third Catherine Ryan Hyde read and I find
Dale Harcombe
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four and a half stars.
This book shows both the good and bad sides of people. All Carly and Jen have is each other? Or is it? It just may be some of the people they meet on their walk will change their minds.
Right from the beginning I was absorbed into this story. I walked every step with Carly and her younger sister Jen. The characters are well drawn. Carly and Jen are both lovable but so different in their outlook. Carly is enterprising and determined to stick to what she believes is best, even
Deanna
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars!!

I loved this book.

A real coming of age story with two very special sisters who warmed my heart. It's extremely well written and handles difficult subject matter tactfully.

Catherine Ryan Hyde will remain a favorite of mine. Highly recommend this book.
Sara
Although a typical Catherine Ryan Hyde novel, this one is a little less captivating than some of her others. Perhaps a bit less believable. Still, a quick read and not a bad story. Just not one I think I will be thinking about afterward or perhaps even remember this time next month.
Lindsay
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This moving story had me intrigued and asking questions straight away; who are Carly and Jen, why are they walking such a long way, just the two of them, so young? What has happened? Who is Teddy and why is Carly so determined that he is the one to help them?

Sisters Carly, 16, and Jen, 12, have set off from New Mexico and are trying to get to Teddy in California. They soon become hungry and tired, and it becomes increasingly difficult for them to continue and to stay safe and not risk it being
Linda Bouley
Theresa Alan
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What makes this book remarkable (and a novel I highly recommend) is that nothing is over-the-top—the language is simple, but evocative, and the bad guys aren’t totally bad and the good folks are also flawed (except maybe the character of Alvin, whom I adore). I immediately remembered what if felt like to be sixteen years old—being both excited by boys yet wary. Right away you want to find out why 16-year-old Carly and her 12-year-old sister, Jen, are on the run. What exactly happened? Hyde doesn ...more
Sharon
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Catherine's books are always a pleasure to read and this one is no exception. She puts so much soul into her characters, so much reality. This book was a fast but intelligent read including one of my favorite subjects, Native Americans. Carly and Jen, sisters, have a difficult home life and decide to run away from New Mexico heading for California and a man they believe will be their salvation, a man Carly has loved as a father.

This story of their journey, both physical and emotional, is full
Maggie
Oct 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Athough this is well written and the characters are well drawn, the plot has a hole in it -- a big hole which is never filled. Carly and Jen quickly leave their home in New Mexico. It is clear that they have just discovered that their mother has died and Carly fears that Social Services will put them in a home -- probably separate homes -- so they are running away in the hopes that their step-father, Teddy, will take them in. Clearly they have no connection to their father, but there must has ...more
Janice
This book tells the story of two sisters, Carly age 16, and Jen age 11. The two have lived a chaotic life with a mostly neglectful mother, and her series of boyfriends. Most adults they have encountered up until now have not been reliable or trustworthy. On the run to escape losing each other in the foster care system, they try to walk from New Mexico to California. Along the way they meet many interesting characters, and meet challenges that would have ended the whole venture for most of us.
Bobby
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A mesmerizing tale of an almost impossible trek undertaken by two young sisters running away from tragedy to what they perceive to be safety. That safe haven suddenly has danger written everywhere and choices and discoveries will be required. The characters met along the way are genuine and thoroughly down to earth. Terrific read. Didn't know the author had written "Pay It Forward" until I finished the book......then I understood why there was so much "heart" here.
Stacie
The summary of the book was interesting and it started out keeping my interest but I have to say this was not one of the most enjoyable books to read. I didn't like or have any sympathy for the older sister and that usually impacts my enjoyment of the book. I can't really put my finger on what I didn't like about the book overall but it was really just an okay read.

I received this book from NetGalley.com
Jessica Ambler
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sweet-stories
3.5 stars. Walk Me Home was not a fast paced thrill ride, but it kept me turning the pages. The author created characters that felt very real and in doing so made me care about the outcome of their dire situation. Jen and Carly are sisters who deal with their losses differently. One lives her life open to possibilities and love while the other holds on to the one thing that was dependable in the past. They each choose a different path on their journey. Which sister chose wisely?
I had hesitation
Patti
Jul 28, 2017 rated it liked it
I just could not get much momentum on this book. I thought the storyline was just ok and somewhat shallow and unbelievable. There were some elements of the book which were irrelevant and I found it frustrating because I like to connect all the dots when reading. The dots just didn't all connect on this one. I still love KRH and will still read through all of her books.
Gail'S Song
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and believable story with depth and feeling

I loved the sadness the truth, kindness of the characters and the ugly truth in the world we live in.
A Highly recommended read for any age!
Peggy
Sep 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: worth-reading
Best line in the book .... “That’s the thing about blood, it lasts forever”
Vicky
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love everything by this author. Starting a new one now.
Meredith Reads
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hyde's books are always entertaining and time passes quickly. These are my go-to books for traveling.
Eileen
Aug 18, 2017 added it
Hyde's characters, while flawed like most of us, are tremendously lovable. Her ability to connect the reader to their very different lives never fails to engage me from page one. I have yet to find one of her books that hasn't delighted me. The stories don't have pie-in-the-sky endings. They are real and heartwarming.
Sharon Gooch-Zebal
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great fiction story line if family tragedy, decisions, good and bad, and how 2 sisters lives are shattered but fine peace.
John
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
Author Catherine Ryan Hyde has a way of putting pen to paper, of crafting her words into sentences that makes us visualize her characters and settings as we read her words. Her most celebrated novel, Pay It Forward, was first published in 2000 and resulted in not just the highly acclaimed film of the same name, but a worldwide movement that continues to grow to this day.

Her newest book, Walk Me Home, has a different feeling altogether. It's not better or worse; it's another facet of the
Nikki-ann
Once again author Catherine Ryan Hyde has lived up to my expectations and some. Despite the often uncomfortable situations in the books, I always seem to feel comfortable reading her books, and I often find myself reading most of the book in a day. Walk Me Home was no different. I was hooked right from the start and just had to see it through to the end to find out what happened to the girls.

We follow the pair as they make their long journey across country from New Mexico to California to find
Julia
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Walk Me Home by Catherine Ryan Hyde is a contemporary novel about searching to belong and I really enjoyed it.
Sixteen year old Carly and eleven year old Jen spend much of the novel walking. They are on a journey looking for home. Carly has a restless spirit that cannot settle. She is focussed in her search. Jen has a calmer nature. She knows a truth that Carly has yet to grasp - home is not a place, home is a relationship and being with people who love you. Will Carly ever grasp this truth?
Carly
Katey Lovell
In the past I have read and enjoyed Pay It Forward, one of Catherine Ryan Hyde's previous novels. Her work is held in high regard and I was thrilled to be given the opportunity to review Walk Me Home.

Sisters Carly and Jen feel they have no option but to run when their mother dies. Worried they will be taken into care and separated, the girls set off on a long and arduous journey to find Teddy, the one person Carly really trusts. However, Jen is less sure about what is the best thing to do and
Judy Collins
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Catherine Ryan Hyde’s WALK ME HOME, is a mesmerizing tale of two sisters, on a journey to escape the system of foster care, and along the way—learn the meaning of home, kindness, love, and redemption.

Carly (16 yrs old) and Jen (11 yrs old), have never had a stable home life. They pack up and move with their mom from one town to another, different jobs, and one man to another. When they are about to leave once again, their mom takes off with her boyfriend, and receive the news their mom has
Paula
Apr 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Walk Me Home is why I love Bookbrowse First Impressions. Otherwise, I would never have read this wonderful book or met its author whose earlier works I can’t wait to read. I pretty much devoured Walk Me Home in one setting – aboard a 4-hour plane ride that felt like four minutes, and finished the rest in the car on the way home from the airport. Luckily I was not driving.

Walk Me Home begins with sisters Carly and Jen, ages 16 and 11, in the first of many crises. They are escaping by bicycle from
Connie Davis
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me two weeks to read this book, and I'm sorry I got distracted by other things. Once I started it, it was hard to put down. There were times I wanted to smack Carly and tell her how stupid she was acting, and there were times I wanted to hug her and tell her it would be okay. She had more courage than I had when I was her age. I loved how the author interwove Native American living into the story, and her descriptive writing brought the story alive. I even felt my feet hurting along with ...more
Justina
Feb 23, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't finish the book. I jumped pages and was still able to understand the story, but it was not captivating. When reading I want to be grabbed by the story and the characters and after getting through the first section, I wasn't feeling connected to the story or even wanted to know what happened to the sisters or if they ever final got a hold of Teddy. The writing just doesn't make me want to hold on and read the rest of the story.
Jan
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Two young but determined sisters leave after their mother and her boyfriend are killed when he drives his truck over a cliff. Desperate not to be turned over to child services, they attempt to locate their mother's former boyfriend, Teddy, thinking he'll take care of them. From New Mexico to California, both sisters learn many lessons and truths from each other.
Vannetta Chapman
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Catherine Ryan Hyde is fast becoming one of my favorite authors.
This book offers a deep look into what it means for teenagers to be homeless, and or caught up in the foster care system, in America. Very balanced and well written, and I loved the Native American characters.

NOTE: Minor instances of bad language.

• Floating Twigs
  • One for the Blackbird, One for the Crow
  • Winter Cottage
  • When We Believed in Mermaids
  • The Family Journal
  • Life of Willow (Life of Willow #1-2)
  • Nell and Lady
  • True to Me
  • Postcards at Christmas
I am the author of more than 30 published and forthcoming books, including ALLIE AND BEA, SAY GOODBYE FOR NOW, LEAVING BLYTHE RIVER, ASK HIM WHY, WORTHY, THE LANGUAGE OF HOOFBEATS, TAKE ME WITH YOU, WHERE WE BELONG, WHEN I FOUND YOU, WALK ME HOME, SECOND HAND HEART, DON'T LET ME GO, and WHEN YOU WERE OLDER.

I'm an avid hiker, traveler, equestrian, and amateur photographer, and have released my
“Situations are like that. They take up all the time you used to use for working and eating and sleeping. They soak up your whole life like a black hole in space soaks up the sunlight. And then, where you used to have a life, all you have left is a situation.” 1 likes
“you’re one of those people with set opinions on how you want the world to behave. Always trying to bend the world to fit your liking instead of the other way around. So then, once you make up your mind how you want something to be, you start losing the eyes to see what it really is.” 1 likes