Start by marking “Tarnished Knight (London Steampunk, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Tarnished Knight (London Steampunk, #1.5)

Tarnished Knight

(London Steampunk #1.5)

In the steam-fuelled world of Victorian London, vampires, werewolves and slasher gangs stalk the night and a man made partly of metal is about to discover just how far he'll go to protect the woman he loves…

After a vicious vampire attack left him struggling to leash the dark urges of the craving virus, John "Rip" Doolan thinks he's finally starting to master the darkness
Published April 21st 2013 by Bec McMaster (first published April 5th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Tarnished Knight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tarnished Knight

Start your review of Tarnished Knight (London Steampunk, #1.5)
Whitney
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Whitney by: Monique
This is a sweet little novella about Rip and Esme coming together at last! |sighs dreamily| I really wanted this to be a 5 star read for me, but I wanted more. I needed more. But then I realized how lucky I was to even be reading about their story in the first place.

It is assumed that Esme and Rip are a couple at the end of Kiss of Steel. Without this novella, we wouldn't have gotten to see the struggles Rip had to endure and Esme's longing for him. Bec McMaster blessed us with their
Marta Cox
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'd somehow missed this novella that fits between Kiss of Steel and Heart of Iron but was overjoyed to discover yesterday that I had it lurking in my kindle library. Let's face it the London Steampunk series has amazing world building with characters that scream out at the reader and are impossible to resist.
Rip is such a tortured hero and I'm pretty sure numerous readers will enjoy his story. Savaged and nearly at deaths door he has struggled to learn to cope with his hunger and dark thoughts.
Celestine
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Caretaker and the Colossus

I love to read stories about big, ugly guys who get their happily-ever-after. This novella takes place after Kiss of Steel and expands the story for Esme and Rip. If you recall, Rip is the sidekick behemoth with the mechanical arm in the first book of this outstanding series. For a novella, I thought the story was satisfying and well-paced, with very strong characterization.

Housekeeper Esme is 30-something, curvy, kind, and has been harboring a crush on Rip for
Mariana Zapata
Jun 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I might be biased toward this book because I started harboring a major crush on Rip from the first moment he was introduced in Blade's book (a big man with a mechanical arm? Have mercy on my ovaries). I was beyond excited to see John and Esme's relationship hash out, and though I would've killed for a full-length novel, I loved that this wasn't rushed and didn't feel short.

On another note, Bec McMaster, I love you. Please write a book a month. I'd buy every single one.
Caz
A really nice filler to complement book one Kiss of Steel and lead the way into the next book, Heart of Iron - the edition I read has the story, Lena's Decision, included as well.

Tarnished Knight picks up the story of Blade's housekeeper, Esme and one of his lieutenants, John "Rip" Doolan who was so badly injured during a vampire attack that the only way to save him was for Blade to infect him with the craving virus.

Rip is having an incredibly difficult time adjusting to the cravings, and it's
Susan (susayq ~)
I am in love with this world! I can't wait to get somewhere that my kindle picks up wifi to get the next book lol

Rip was such a tortured hero - my favorite kind :) Rip and Esme had huge communication problems. Thankfully, Blade meddled and helped them get it straight :)

The few chapters at the end about Lena and Will were wonderful! And as I said at the beginning of the review, I can't wait for the next book which is theirs :)
Melindeeloo
So far this is available for free on the authors website... Tarnished Knight falls sixth months after the first book in McMaster's London Steampunk series (Kiss of Steel), there are enough hints about the 'world' here that Tarnished Knight probably could be read without reading the first book, but it is more fun if you have since there are references to what has gone before, plus Kiss of Steel is worth reading as well.

I really liked this novella, it was originally serialized with one chapter a
Laura (Kyahgirl)
4/5; 4 stars; A-

I really enjoyed this novella. After meeting Rip and Esme in book 1, it was so nice to read more about them and more about the steampunk world that McMaster has created. I am really enjoying this new author.
Aly
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been six months since Rip got the craving virus to save his life. With a new thirst for blood, Rip is determined to keep his distance from his friend Esme because he's afraid to hurt her and she confuse him too.

No one can pretend that Esme is not a patient woman. Blade's housekeeper waited and waited for Rip to realize she wants more than his friendship. But if she doesn't want to wait forever, it's gonna be up to her to show him what she wants. And maybe she'll need someone to interfere
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tarnished Knight is a novella that was originally offered as a free read on Bec McMaster's website but that has since been released as an ebook including an additional prequel story for the 2nd book Heart of Iron. This story is set approximately six months after the ending of Kiss of Steel and I'd definitely recommend it to fans of the series before you move on to book 2.

I really liked both Rip and Esme when we were introduced to them in the first book, they are both incredibly loyal members of
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
A Christmas novella serialised by Bec McMaster and only available at this stage on her website.

Beautifully romantic tale set in her London Steampunk world this is the story of Esme, Blade and Honoria's housekeeper and John "Rip" Doohan Blade's enforcer. Amongst the mystery of disappearing people in Whitechapel and the evil slasher gangs, Rip must face his own demons if Esme is ever to be his. If you loved Kiss of Steel, you must read this. It's great.
NiteReader
A special little treat!!
I love the steampunk "Whitechapel" world Ms McMaster has created in this series. In this book we get a peek into the love story of Rip and Esme. They fit so perfectly together; they really have that spark! The reason I knocked off a star is because their story is too short! (That seems to be my biggest complaint with most novellas!)
Arie ☂
4.5 stars. I would like to rename this 'Misunderstandings and Mechanical Arms'. This was a fabulous little christmas tale that gives you insight into more than just Esme and Rip's dance around each other. I wish this novella was longer, but I'm absolutely salivating for Will's story now. Love, love, LOVE.
Iliada

It's not a secret I'm not a fan of novellas, but as far as novellas go, this was pretty good. I loved the theme of this little book and I just wish it was longer. Oh well...

As a bonus there's a little introduction for book #2 that will whet your appetite to read more about Will and Lena.
Amyiw
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this out of order and after Lena and Will's book, which is the next one. I'm glad I did because it was short enough that it was easy to get into, and reconnected me to the series. I didn't like Lena here as she is a bit of a brat but in her own book she is all grown up and I liked her even less. Will was great but Lena was self-absorbed. So Esme and Rip (John) make me want to go on..

So this novella of about 160 pages put my faith back that perhaps not all the women are going to be
Margo
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Love Bec McMaster in general, but this book was stretched far too thin. It just didn't have enough there to make a successful novella.

h: I want to be with you.
H: I'm not good enough for you. Excuse me for a moment, I need to fight bad guys or something.
H: I'm back. Still not good enough for you.
h: But I want to be with you, as a lover. As your woman.
H (to self): I have no idea how she feels about me. Oh, wait, a bad guy. BRB.
OVER AND OVER AND OVER.
Clephiro
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a cute and quick novella set between the first and the second books in the London Steampunk series.

So in the first book Rip clearly had a thing for Esme, but they never really got together. When Rip was infected with the Blueblood virus, it took him a while to get it under control. Esme has just been waiting patiently for that to happen in the hopes that Rip will totally want to, you know, drink HER blood.

Rip and Esme were pretty cute together but like 100% of all the problems could
Amanda
This book was reviewed on Where the Night Kind Roam

I very quickly came to love this series! I am so glad that Anne from Under the Covers Book Blog recommended this series to me. It is a unique blend of historical, paranormal and steampunk. This book takes place approximately 6 months after the first book left off. Rip was given the blood-craving to survive a mortal wound at the end of the first book. It was Esme who provided blood for the first time to Rip so that he would survive. For the last
Cindy
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well written

The world in this story is getting even more detailed and vibrant. This time we get the perspective of Esme and Rip. They were like teenagers really, which was a bit frustrating. So many communication issues. Rip really isn't as dense as he seems with Esme's clear intentions, it's just that he has been told that he's big and scary so he doesn't see himself as someone that could be loved. That broke my heart. It probably would have been more clear if there was more details on his
Katie
Uh, so this feels like a weird complaint to make about a novella, but I think this might've been too long for me! Rip was a little TOO stupid for my tastes, especially since Kiss of Steel made me kind of think things were somewhat settled between him and Esme. And the plot seemed a bit too simplistic, I guess.

Still, I'm glad Rip and Esme got their story told!
Julie (Jewlsbookblog)
Reread 2019
I this series! Always a delight to dive back in:)

Rip and Esme had me swooning in absolute delight with their attraction! This story had a lot going on. The romance was awesome, the suspense was great, and the world McMaster’s has created was a perfect blend of steampunk, paranormal, and romance! I am loving the twist on vampires, verwulfen, and steampunk London! I haven’t read this particular series yet, but it’s definitely going on my must read list!
Dawn
++Spoilers+++

Not my thing.

I am done with this author. She wrote one book in this series that I liked.

Not going into it.

Safety-not safe for me too pissed to go into it.

Returned for refund
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novellas
I really enjoyed Rip and Esme's love story; they are two secondary characters that definitely deserved their own HEA. Felt more like a full-length book than a novella―a great addition to the London Steampunk series! You'll probably get more out of this one if you read Heart of Iron first though.
Monique
A sweet and cute novella about Esme and Rip finally getting together.
I would prefer a full-length novel because the story was a little rush but I still loved it.
Kira Simion
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: got-for-free, 2018
3.5 stars.

An adorable short story that I felt could have been a little more fleshed out for the character development when it came to backstories and friendship/romance backgrounds. However, I find that the writing is one of my favorite styles as it includes detail during the action and good pacing for the majority of the story.

Danielle  Gypsy Soul
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I fell in love with this world when I read the first book and I still love it in the second book. This was a short novella about two characters John "Rip" and Esme that we met in the first book. Esme and John definitely had some communication issues and John was a bit of a tortured character but I enjoyed this quick romance. I really liked the suspense portion of the story that dealt with the Slashers who were stealing women within Blade's territory and I enjoyed catching up with Blade and Honor ...more
Beth
In a world were vampires rule, the dark and desperate human lives have one hope, the protection of a kind vampire. When the protection is threatened, newly turned Rip will do everything in his power to stop these attacks and restore the trust of the people of their town.

This is a wonderful novella length story about how Esme and John "Rip" Doolan finally get together. As a wonderfully crafted steampunk series, this novella provides some much wanted background into the side characters we've come
Ami
After finishing Kiss of Steel I immediately went hunting for the sequels. I started with this novella as it was listed as #1.5. The story was taken place six months after the event in Kiss of Steel; after Rip was turned into a blue blood by Blade.

While the main issue of this story was COMMUNICATION problem -- which sometimes I dislike -- somehow I couldn't get myself being annoyed by it because it did create a delicious tension. Rip was an idiot, that I could say. Esme had been throwing hints,
Noura
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick one day read, this one tells the story of one of Blade's men, Rip who was brutally attacked by the vampire in the first book and had to be turned into a blue-blood in order to survive and live.

6 months after the attack, Rip/ John is still trying to come to terms with his change as a blue blood and is very wary of showing his love to Esme, Blade's widowed housekeeper. The story revolves around how she tries to convince him that their love is worth the risk and how he at last finds a way
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 02, 2015 07:59AM
What's the Name o...: Tarnished Knight by Bec McMaster [s] 12 68 Feb 12, 2014 06:03PM

• Entwined (Darkest London, #3.5)
  • Forevermore (Darkest London, #7)
  • Soulbound (Darkest London, #6)
  • Moonglow (Darkest London, #2)
  • Shadowdance (Darkest London, #4)
  • Evernight (Darkest London, #5)
  • Winterblaze (Darkest London, #3)
  • Reaper (Demonica Underworld, #9; Demonica, #19)
  • The Prisoner's Key (Glass and Steele, #8)
  • Ember (Darkest London, #0.5)
  • Firelight (Darkest London, #1)
  • Howls and Hallows: A Steampunk Fairy Tale (Steampunk Red Riding Hood, #5)
  • Bitches and Brawlers (Steampunk Red Riding Hood #4)
  • Prince of Hearts (The Elders and Welders Chronicles, #1)
  • Lycans and Legends: A Steampunk Fairy Tale (Steampunk Red Riding Hood, #6)
  • Golden Braids and Dragon Blades: Steampunk Rapunzel (Steampunk Fairy Tales Book 4)
  • A Dark Heart (The Elders and Welders Chronicles #2)
  • Chasing the Green Fairy (The Airship Racing Chronicles, #2)
Bec McMaster is the award-winning author of the London Steampunk series. A member of RWA, she writes sexy, dark paranormals, and adventurous steampunk romances, and grew up with her nose in a book. Following a life-long love affair with fantasy, she discovered romance novels as a 16 year-old, and hasn't looked back.

In 2012, Sourcebooks released her debut novel, Kiss of Steel, the first in the

London Steampunk (5 books)
  • Kiss of Steel (London Steampunk, #1)
  • Heart of Iron (London Steampunk, #2)
  • My Lady Quicksilver (London Steampunk, #3)
  • Forged by Desire (London Steampunk, #4)
  • Of Silk and Steam (London Steampunk, #5)