Start by marking “Do or Die (Reluctant Heroes #1)” as Want to Read:
Do or Die (Reluctant Heroes #1)

Do or Die

(Reluctant Heroes #1)

Navy SEAL Ian Dunn went rogue in a big way when he turned his talents to a lawless life of jewel heists and con jobs. Or so the world has been led to believe. In reality, the former Special Ops warrior is still fighting for good, leading a small band of freelance covert operatives who take care of high-stakes business in highly unofficial ways. That makes Ian the hands-dow ...more
Published February 4th 2014 by Random House (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Do or Die, please sign up.
Jeanne According to my public library website's database, Some Kind of Hero (ISBN 9780345543820, released July 2017 ) is part of the Reluctant Heroes series…moreAccording to my public library website's database, Some Kind of Hero (ISBN 9780345543820, released July 2017 ) is part of the Reluctant Heroes series as well as Troubleshooters. (less)

♡Karlyn P♡

3.5 'Strong Potential But Missed the Mark' Stars.

Great action, tons of rescues, and a steamy romance, but with multiple scattered storylines and a motley crew of secondary characters that are not so easy to like.

Good news: Of all the books Brockmann has written post Troubleshooters series, this is my favorite so far.

Bad news: However, this new series is not on the same par as TS. At least not yet. And don't be fooled that this is a TS spin-off, because it is not.

Is Do or Die a TroubleShooter
Jill
Oct 29, 2013 rated it really liked it

Ian Dunn, convicted felon, alleged international jewel thief, and former Navy SEAL is serving an eighteen-month sentence in a Florida prison when he is offered a deal if he agrees to rescue two children held in a foreign consulate in Miami. Phoebe Kruger is his lawyer who attends him at the prison when the deal is offered, standing in for his regular lawyer who's unavailable.

I really had a lot of trouble following this initially. As per Suzanne Brockmann's usual style, she has more than
Duchess Nicole
It's a Troubleshooters SPINOFF series! Holy swoon...I think I'm gonna cry.

This book definitely has a classic Suzanne Brockmann feel to it. I got the notion here that she has a nice long list of characters ready to have their stories told. So while it makes me excited for the good things to come, it sure seemed to drag this story out for awhile. This is a loooong genre book.

The first half did get a bit tiresome, what with all of the introductions and minor details. But once the meat of
Auntee
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Brockmann's Troubleshooter series
I did a complete 180 with this book. At first, I had trouble following it--I found it confusing and dare I say a little boring? And I wasn't at all sure that I liked the hero. I don't want my Navy SEAL hero to be on the wrong side of the law, you know? So I almost gave up on the book (even though I knew I wouldn't).:)

However...this book got waaay better at about the 1/3 point, and oh my god, once the hero and heroine "got physical" (and man, did they ever have some chemistry!) I couldn't put it
Jonetta
Originally posted at The Book Nympho

The set up
Ian Dunn is a former Navy SEAL suspected of being a jewel thief and operating on the wrong side of the law. When he's offered a deal to help the Feds rescue two abducted children, Ian tries to take a pass but his new attorney, Phoebe Kruger, won't take no for an answer. She unwittingly sets off a chain of events that puts Ian and people close to him in imminent danger.

The issues
Phoebe doesn't know if she can believe or trust Ian and is determined to
Yodamom
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
I made it to 87% and found myself doing anything to not listen to another word from Phoebe the female MC. She started out okay, she was educated, well spoken, a lawyer. She slowly lost her brain cells. She went into dangerous situations thinking she was the only one who could save the day, not with her lawyer skills no her womanly skills. Pfffft !
She walks into situation after situation, without any kind of common sense. She talks BS non stop when the guy who knows what he's doing is te
Allison6876
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
Another disappointment from an author I used to LOVE. Far too much time spent on secondary characters. Not enough character development of primary couple (Ian & Phoebe) and almost no back-story made it hard to understand their motivations and actions. No explanation why Ian left the Teams or much about his motivation to join the Navy and almost nothing at all about Phoebe. None of the characters are very developed and many verge on being complete stereotypes.
Krissy
I really liked this book. I would have loved it if not for 2 reasons. The length and Phoebe. I thought it was a tad bit too long. And Phoebe annoyed the shit out of me. She had so many TSTL moments I just couldn't deal. She even ruined the first sex scene for me. She never knew when to STFU. It wasn't cute. It wasn't quirky. It wasn't endearing. It was annoying af. BUT every other character in this story I loved. I can't wait to read more in this series.
Cheri
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
The 1st part of this book was kinda dry, but the 2nd had me binge reading. The H is an alpha male who has several flaws but a hidden kind heart. The h is a sassy but soft lady. I enjoyed all the other characters as well. Lots of action in the 2nd half.
❧Gwendolyn❧A Bookish Berkeley Girl❧
So I made it to 78%.

I tried to stay on this wild and crazy ride but.....*sad face*

I failed.

I loved Martell. But, I still skimmed and ultimately stopped at 78%

OMG. I felt like I was drowning in this book, because Phoebe the protagonist drove me batshit crazy. She was not an alpha fem she was a bi*ch with an attitude and a glock without the wherewithal to use it. Her voice was whinny and bratty(I tried audio and reading), and she offered nothing but, a multitude of stupid actions.

I always wan
Lisa O'Neill
Feb 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Three and a half stars.

I love Suzanne Brockmann. Her books are action-packed, humorous and have some of the most endearing characters in any novels I've read (those of you who are familiar with Jules Cassidy will know what I mean.) However, while this book certainly contained plenty of action, and while I liked the main two characters well enough, the secondary characters (with the exception of Martel Griffin)were, well, rather unlikable. The female characters, as opposed to being simply strong
Kara
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always liked Suzanne Brockmann. She currently sits at my #3 for most read authors in my reading list. Her books always suck me in.

She writes HOT ALPHA Navy Seals - mixed with military action, suspense, and sexiness.

Ian and Phoebe brought tension, comedy, and realness to the book. The marina scene - wow. hot. I loved Ian's family. I loved a bit of mm in the book too.
I was wrapped up in the book until the end.
Leea
5 stars... Official review will be posted closer to the Feb 2014 release date...

If you're a fan of romantic suspense or Susan Brockmann's amazing writing style then you will not be disappointed. Like a fine wine, Brockmann's writing gets better with age :)
Lydia
Dec 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reluctant-heroes
"I can't let you do this because... I love you! Phoebe, Jesus, I really do." - Ian Dunn

What's the best thing that can happen to you other than discover an author you want to build a temple for? Why, find out the very same author has also written tons of books that are rumored to be as good as the one you just read, AND that you have a series of theirs in your TR list, of course! I dare say 2014 for me started brilliantly merely by reaching the end of Ian and Phoebe's story - or, well, what some
Heather T
Oct 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
I'm not sure if I'm biased, but I tend to really like Suzanne Brockmann's stories. Strong male leads, strong females, and bad guys that are such horrible people that they make you sick your stomach. It wasn't as intense as the airplane scene in troubleshooters, but the book still had quite a bit of tension. "Cuba" was great.
I liked the plot, but at times it felt almost like I were reading two different books. I got lost in the whole marina scene and forgot about the team of people waiting to co
ℸℎℯrℯᏕα
Dec 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
I didn't care much for this story.

What I liked was the connection to Ric and Annie who were featured in the Force of Nature Troubleshooters series. Yashi also played a prominent role in this story. I liked Ian Dunn, the hero. He was quite the typical Alpha who would do everything and anything to protect his loved ones.

What I did not like was the plot itself. I found it too convoluted. There was just too much going on with too many new characters; I had a hard time remembering who’s who as the si
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker

First off, I'm going to announce right off the bat that there is no possible way I can summarize or discuss everything that is included in this book. Every character, situation, or relationship I mention, know there are 5+ characters, 10+ situations, and 20+ relationships behind everything I am mentioning. Ok, I'm going to give it the ol' college try si
Ezinwanyi
I think I would have gave this book a 5-star if I had listened to the audiobook...and if I had already read the Troubleshooter series before hand.

Ian Dunn, a former Navy Seal, is serving an 18-month sentence on a murder charge when he gets a deal--Help the government rescue the kidnapped kids of a nuclear physicist and he can get the rest of his sentence commuted, provided he can deliver the kids unharmed.
The deal is delivered via a fed attorney and Ian's new attorney Phoebe Kruger, even though
Sue
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Narration 4, Story 4.25.

It started out a bit slow after a fast start, but once the story got going it really had my attention.

Ian a former Navy Seal, is "blackmailed" into working with the FBI to save some kidnapped kids. The whole while, he's trying to protect his brother who has been marked for death by the Mob. So not one problem, but two.

Very complex, maybe a few side trips that were maybe a bit unnecessary but still enjoyable.

Recommend it if you like a good R/S title with lots of actions
Oct 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Oh boy. One bad guy, then a second, then back to the first, and then the second and then the first...you get the idea. And there was not one, but two, no three, no four, no five love stories. No actually only two. It was good but boy was it confusing for a while there.
Lori S.
3.5 stars Good addition to the Troubleshooters series.
Jacqueline J
I really enjoyed this new one by Suzanne Brockmann. Especially considering I didn't really like her last one all that much. This one is straight romantic suspense. And really much heavier on the suspense than the romance. It was fun to watch the convoluted plotting take place, fun watching Ian move all his pieces around. He was a good con man hero while still being a good guy. The characterization was not all that deep but you did get a sense of who everyone was and I could see that all the seco ...more
Mojca
***ARC provided by publisher through NetGalley***

Reader's Note: This is just a 'quote', the full review will be posted closer to the release date.

The characters were realistic, well-delineated, 'multi-layered', and nicely fleshed-out.
The action was non-stop, full-throttle. And the writing, story-flow, and narration followed suit. There wasn't a slow, lagging or dull moment throughout the book.
And I loved the humor in it. It kept it from getting too serious, too dark at times. It provided lightne
*Book-Lover*
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
10-Suzanne Brockmann fangirling-stars!!!!!!

Review to come!!!

Arc provided for an honest review by author courtesy of NetGalley.
Catherine
I'm a massive Suzanne Brockmann fan, but this book was just alright. There wasn't really enough action or story to justify the length of this book; it could easily have been reduced by 200 pages and still told the story it needed to tell.
Sam (AMNReader)
Sep 20, 2017 marked it as series-on-hold  ·  review of another edition
--Read up to 19% but think I'm going back-I feel like I started 3/4 of the way through a series or something so REWIND...figuring out a better order to read the series in.
April
Check out my other listens at Eargasms Audiobook Reviews

Really great story, well developed and engaging throughout. The only big downer is it is very long. I listened to the audiobook which is pretty much 20 hours. While the story and characters are interesting and entertaining, you really do feel the length. But I honestly can't say that I would have cut any of the parts.

There is a lot going on in this story from the get go. It has a non-linear feel as flashbacks are interspersed with the prese
Christi Snow
Oct 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
My Review:
Suzanne Brockmann is back with an INCREDIBLE new series. Yes, I received this book for review and was at the 20% point in the book when I set my Kindle down to get online and order the hardback edition of this book for my keeper shelf. It was that good and throughout reading it, it just kept getting better and better.

In true Suzanne Brockmann fashion there is a whole cast of characters in this book and I fell in love with every one of them. It's gonna be such a good series. At the hear
Mateja
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it

Ian Dunn, an ex-Navy SEAL and believed by the entire world to be a con artist and a jewel thief, has spent the last nine months in jail, when the FBI approaches him with a deal that will set him free in exchange for his help in freeing kidnapped children of a nuclear physicist from the Kazbekistani consulate. Ian has personal reasons to want to stay in jail and flatly refuses the offer but FBI persists and Ian goes free, which sets off a chain of dangerous events, that leave Ian, his at
Regina
February 2014! I am very excited for this book -- but February 2014 is way too far away!

Here is what Suz says on her website:

Last but not least, the book that I should be revising right this moment (oopsie), is called DO OR DIE, and it's the first book in my new romantic suspense trilogy called "Relectant Heroes."

This new series is a Troubleshooters spin-off. In fact, DO OR DIE is set in the Troubleshooters world, so TS lovers will feel right at home. Martell Griffin, from FORCE OF NATURE (Ric
Madison Mega-Mara...: #47 Do or Die by Suzanne Brockmann 1 2 Mar 31, 2015 07:56AM
Goodreads Librari...: editions are muddled 2 31 Feb 03, 2014 07:14PM

• Breakpoint (High Risk, #4)
  • Daring (A-Tac, #3.5)
  • Promises in the Dark (Shadow Force, #2)
  • Killing Time (One Eyed Jacks, #1)
  • Hot Point (Firehawks, #3)
  • Under Fire (Elite Force, #3)
  • Outspoken Angel (SEALS, Inc., #2)
  • Peppermint Creek Inn (Undercover, #1)
  • Edge of Shadows (Shadow Ops, #3)
  • Deadly Descent (Bagram Special Ops, #1)
  • Danger Close (Shadow Warriors, #1)
  • Hunt Her Down (Bullet Catcher, #7)
  • Sleeping With the Agent (Crossfire, #3)
After childhood plans to become the captain of a starship didn’t pan out, Suzanne Brockmann took her fascination with military history, her respect for the men and women who serve, her reverence for diversity, and her love of storytelling, and explored brave new worlds as a bestselling romance author. Over the past twenty-five years she has written more than fifty-five novels, including her award- ...more
“I’m not the one who kissed you in the bathroom. In case you’re thinking I forgot about that, or somehow missed it, or …”
“Kind of hard to miss,” Ian agreed. “Your lips, mine. A distinct smacking sound. Yup, that was me kissing you. Still, it was short—quickly over and done. A kiss good-bye. The subtext was I hope we don’t die, but if we do, it was nice meeting you. Not at all like that under-the-dock kiss.” He paused. “The one where you jumped me. The first time. So far.” He narrowed his eyes at her, much the way she’d done to him. “Naturally I’m suspicious. Did you intentionally leave my clothes behind?”
2 likes
“As Ian popped the lock and opened the car door, he turned to Phoebe. “Can you do me a favour?”
She immediately stepped toward him, fully embracing their new mature relationship. “Of course.”
Ian looked pointedly over his own shoulder and said, “Tell me the truth. Does this car make my glowing ass look fat?”
She’d naturally followed the direction of his gaze, but now she looked up, hard, into his eyes. And she smiled back at him despite herself. She even laughed. “You’re an idiot.”
“When things get too serious, I get a rash.”
She pointedly looked back down at his nether regions, despite the fact doing so made her blush. Still, she spoke coolly, dryly. “Not on your ass.”
If Ian believed in love, that would’ve been it for him. Instantly. Enthrallingly. Eternally. Instead, he just laughed. “Thank God for that. See if there’s anything remotely clothinglike in the backseat or the trunk.”
2 likes