Start by marking “Weekend in Weighton” as Want to Read:
Weekend in Weighton

Weekend in Weighton

First-time private investigator Eddie Greene is having a bad weekend. It’s about to get worse …

When he finds the slab-cold body of his first client, he knows something’s up – he only spoke to her fifteen minutes earlier.

Free-wheeling, swash-buckling, trash-talking Eddie is not just out of place in a humdrum northern town. He’s out of depth on his first case, out of funds
Published April 14th 2013 by Grinning Bandit Books (first published January 28th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Weekend in Weighton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Weekend in Weighton

Start your review of Weekend in Weighton
Susi
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Endearingly sarcastic and arrogant Eddie G. is new to the detective game, but the new wears off quick when he gets roughed up by Tommy, Jimmy "Kingpin" Cartwright's imbecilic and half-witted right-hand man. Luckily, Jimmy has a soft spot for Eddie, though it only goes so far. Eddie continues to test the patience of the local crime boss as he attempts to uncover the truth after finding himself a suspect in a murder investigation.

Weekend in Weighton is a suspenseful tale full of narrow escapes,
Catherine MacLeod
This rollercoaster of a detective story begins and (bar the Police station) more or less ends at Weighton Town Hall. By the end of the book I could direct you there myself, so familiar did this small town's streets and its good citizens and shady crooks and doubting coppers feel to me. Weighton's First and Foremost Private Detective Eddie G, with his fabled sixth sense and `deliberately untidy mop of blond hair and steadfast jaw', was a handsome git, (his words, not mine) and although it wasn't ...more
Mary Fan
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eddie Greene, or "Eddie G.," as he likes to call himself, is a trash-talking 26-year-old who decided one day that he was going a private investigator. His first client, a middle-aged woman named Helen Porson, is murdered shortly after she hires him, and, as the first person on the scene, Eddie is considered a suspect. Unable to trust the cops, he begins his own investigation to clear his name and find the truth.

Weekend in Weighton opens with a punch--literally. After ignoring a crime boss'
Thalia
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The themes `comedy' and `thriller' aren't necessarily easily paired when it comes to story plots, but first-time author Terry Murphy somehow excels in making the combination work in his debut novel `Weekend in Weighton.'

`Weighton' is a fictional small town home to `Eddie G.' who we quickly discover is Weighton's `first and foremost private detective'. Too bad for Eddie that during his first assignment, his client is seemingly murdered leaving him a prime suspect! And that's not the worst of it!
Grady
Sep 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
An enticing mixture of murder mystery, mafia thriller, and noir comedy

Perhaps it is unnecessary to place an author in a category except that it just my entice readers who enjoy said category to pick up this novel and read it. Terry Murphy has that peculiar and utterly absorbing British bent for making bad things happen and at the same time linger long enough to find the human comedy in everything. It is this sort of tongue in cheek approach that makes WEEKEND IN WEIGHTON a mystery embroidered
Douglas Meeks
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I must say that I really did not think I was going to like this book but I had promised someone I would read it. I am glad I keep my promises, this was hugely entertaining and Eddie will keep you smiling with his wit and creativity.

The story centers around a murder that just happens to be the first case that Eddie has gotten, seems that having your clients die on you and you finding the body never sits well with the police. So for the rest of the novel we see Eddie going through all kinds of
Maria Mitchell
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book for free from Goodreads First Reads in exchange for a review.

Weekend in Weighton by author Terry Murphy was an absolute delight. Very old-school detective noir with a sassy smart-talking sleuth in the mix. Private detective Eddie Greene is happy to have his first client. A case of blackmail against the mistress of the mayor. But then she turns up dead and "Eddie G." is suspected of the crime.

Eddie is smart, cocky, proud, and a delightful character. He also had this witty
Kath Middleton
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eddie Greene is a new private detective and his very first client doesn’t last 24 hours before being found dead. Eddie’s task of finding his client’s killer isn’t made any easier by the fact that he has fallen foul of Weighton’s Mr Big, Jimmy Cartwright, and his thugs. Jimmy warns him off but our hero is determined. Eddie is a very likable, fast talking and fast thinking chap and all the characters in the book have three dimensions.

This is a brilliantly told tale with a number of linked
Karma
May 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Eddie Greene, a newbie private investigator is both brash and sarcastic. More often than not, his dry humor is more harm than help. Struggling financially after his first client is found dead and viewed as a person of interest in her murder, Eddie manages to make enemies both with the police and Weighton's local crime syndicate. Will they get to him before he has the chance to solve the case?

Weekend in Weighton is a suspenseful detective story and a page turner that will keep you guessing, as
Roman Laskowski
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is terrific fun and I loved it. A smart, fast-paced crime thriller, crackling with wit and sharp one-liners and featuring a gallery of unforgettable rogues. You can't help but love Eddie, with his big time ideals, as he does battle with small town criminals, sarcastic police officers and a corrupt mayor. Plenty of mystery and twists in the plot, plus an element of romance to add to Eddie's tricky and life-threatening weekend. This is an entertaining ride that is a joy to read.
Radhikarani
love the mystery and the thrills. hate the over smart investigator and over dose of wit.
Awesome Indies Book Awards
Awesome Indies Book Awards is pleased to include WEEKEND IN WEIGHTON by TERRY MURPHY in the library of Awesome Indies' Seal of Excellence recipients at http://j.mp/AwesIndBk360
Jack
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Humorous private eye tale featuring Eddie G on his first case, talking in quotes and clichés, managing to stay half a step ahead of the bad guys.
Don O'goodreader
Eddie G is a 26-year-old trying his hand as being a private investigator, as nothing else seemed to work. His first case involves murders, blackmail, corruption, organized crime, mistaken identities, and lost relatives ... all in a small town in England.

Weekend in Weighton by Terry Murphy has a little bit of everything in the style of hard-boiled detective novels with lots of dialogue like,

"I hate to break this reverie Kate, but my bike needs me. And we have a timetable that makes NASA's
David Caldwell
I won a couple on Goodreads Firstreads.

Eddie G. is on the case. He is Weighton's first and foremost private detective. But things go wrong when his first client turns up dead. Now the local kingpin of crime, the police, and even his own mum are telling him to let it go. But Eddie knows that being innocent won't stop him going to jail when they police think he had something to do with it. As more bodies and supects turn up, Eddie realizes he is on a tight schedule to prove his innocence, catch
Chandni
There’s a lot to like about this book. The main character, Eddie, is outspoken, sarcastic and loves making jokes about everything. He’s endearing and you’re rooting for him the entire way. Reading about him and the colorful cast of supporting characters was really fun and enjoyable. The plot is strong and I loved the way Eddie slowly manages to piece everything together. There were a lot of false leads and dead ends so that the conclusion was really surprising to me.

However, at times, Eddie’s
Terri
Jun 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Eddie Greene is having a bad weekend. On his first job as a private detective, Eddie is immediately made suspect in a mysterious death of his client. Then, the local thugs get a hold of him. If he can clear his name and solve the case, Eddie G just may be successful at something.

Weekend in Weighton is a humorous detective mystery. It keeps the reader interested in the story without veering too much into a number of subplots. However, some of the humor did fall flat when I read it, though this
Brian
May 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am a big fan of this genre and Weekend in Weighton didn't disappoint. The story had many interesting characters and strong subplots that contributed to a riveting mystery.

The story's protagonist, Eddie Greene, is a private eye that always seems to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Despite the fact that he's a wise cracking, smart aleck , You'll find Eddie endearing as he struggles to crack his first case while simultaneously staying one step ahead of the police chief eyeing him in the
Lynn
Aug 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, giveaways
Weekend in Weighton is a fun romp through a weekend full of mayhem and murder. Eddie Greene has snagged his first job as a private investigator. His client is being blackmailed and she hires Eddie to find out who is behind it. Before the ink can even dry on his new business cards, his client has left this earthly plain. But that's not Eddie's only problem, he's in trouble with some local gangsters and the police want to talk to him.

The book is filled with wisecracks and comic situations. Terry
Kyrana Jones
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Weekend in Weighton by Terry Murphy is a fast-paced detective novel set in a typical small town. Our smart-mouthed protagonist finds himself a new case, a dead body, and an old flame all in the same day. Mix in dangerous encounters with the local crime boss along with suspicion from the local police and you find an interesting crime story with a few surprises. You will laugh aloud and cheer for our determined hero as this action-packed drama unfolds.
Nigel
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Eddie G, a private detective with one difference. Everyone always knows where to find him , especially the villains.
It's a superb book and is fantastic with it's references to media culture.
A no fear detective on a Santa Cruz cycle. You really couldn't want for anything more.
This review is purposefully without any plot summary. I'd be doing you an injustice spoiling your reading experience.
A thumping good story :-).
Ruth Turner
Apr 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Wasn't to bad a read, but I've read better. Lots of twists and turns. The usual murders, beat up the young and inexperienced PI. The poor PI was really taking a beating and to stupid to stop pushing buttons.
Max Robberts
May 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
What a truly great read. Private detective Eddie G is the brilliant creation of Terry Murphy. Many writers read their own work and believe that it should be more widely known about and read but Terry would be right; this is a terrific book and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Peter
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An enjoyable yarn, liked the characters, well drawn out
Kathy
Jun 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paperback
I enjoyed the book except for the language. I know this language is used but I do not like to hear it or read it. The book was very entertaining and well written.
Elaine
I like humor but Eddie's was over the top and annoying. There's a time for seriousness where humor doesn't always fit in but Eddie didn't seem to get that.
Sue Moorhouse
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A fun English gangster story. Hilariously written!
Shannon Davison
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fast-paced crime thriller full of wit and one-liners that make you giggle. I couldn't put the book down as I just had to keep reading to see what happened next.
Sharlon