Start by marking “Maximilian Standforth and the Case of the Dangerous Dare” as Want to Read:
Maximilian Standforth and the Case of the Dangerous Dare

Maximilian Standforth and the Case of the Dangerous Dare

The cursed and foreboding McGregor Castle is the most terrifying and haunted location in all of the British Empire. Only a brave (or foolish) soul would consider visiting it, let alone staying within its walls for five days. In other words, a perfect dare for a man like Maximilian Standforth!

Maximilian Standforth, famed playboy aristocrat and private detective, is a geniu
281 pages
Published June 11th 2013 (first published May 21st 2013)

Be the first to ask a question about Maximilian Standforth and the Case of the Dangerous Dare

Start your review of Maximilian Standforth and the Case of the Dangerous Dare
Renee
May 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
First, let me state that if you sit down to read this book after reading A Jane Austen Daydream, prepare yourself for something completely different (but in a good way). Maximilian Standforth and the Case of the Dangerous Dare is nothing like Mr. Southard's other novel, save the facts that the writing is excellent and the plot and characters are attention-keepers.

The Dangerous Dare kept my attention from the very first. We experience the point of view of Bob Wordsworth, the title character's Man
Jason Cantrell
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
I got this book for free when the author was giving away free downloads of the ebook. I'm glad that I got it for free, because I'm not sure if I would have been satisfied if I had paid for it.

My first impression of this book was that it was a complete ripoff of Sherlock Holmes. It's a mystery, set in 19th century England, following an eccentric genius detective and his more intellectual and proper assistant. The "assistant" is writing the book, just as Watson did in the Sherlock Holmes series,
Susan
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maximilian Standfort, detective, accepts a dare to spend five days and nights in the most haunted castle in the isle - McGregor Castle. He is accompanied on his adventure by Bob Wordsworth, his coachman, bodyguard and biographer of his adventures, and Maggie Collins, a maid and what ever he wants her to be. But is the castle haunted, or is it more into the supernatural realm.
An interesting story
Wanda Paryla
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book Review:

Maximilian Standforth and the Case of the Dangerous Dare, by Scott D. Southard.

* Please note: I purchased this book. The author did not solicit this review.*

My overall Amazon Star Rating – 4 stars for this mystery/thriller.

As always, I will not rehash the plot of this book and summarize the story. I’ll leave that up to the book’s cover and other venues.
First off, this is an absolutely fantastic cover design. However, I was deceived by this cover. The story isn’t the tale the cover c
Frenchie
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who like mind games and paranormal mysteries
Recommended to Frenchie by: ereaderiq.com
Maximilian Standforth and the Case of the Dangerous Dare is not an easy read but it is an intriguing, confusing and obsessive one. Yes, because I still do not know if I liked it or hated it but one thing is sure, I could not put it down.

You may wonder why 5 stars then? simple. It is very well written, from the point of view of Bob, the butler, servant, carriage driver and above all, a friend of Maximilian. And by the way, is Bob really what he wants to project? It also makes you feel like the do
C. L. Deards
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I started Scott's latest with eager anticipation after having read A Jane Austen Daydream, which I absolutely loved.

Seeing the cover of Maximilian Standforth and the Case of the Dangerous Dare, I came away with a preconceived notion of what the book would be about.

Look at the cover. What tone does the cover set in your mind?

Well, needless to say, I was surprised by the tone. I was expecting a light-hearted mystery novel, when in fact the story trends the opposite after a humorous, tongue-in-chee
Jodi Woody
May 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My first taste of author Scott Southard was through his book “A Jane Austen Daydream”, which I loved, so I don’t know what I was really expecting from this book. Not at all like Jane Austen. This book proved to me the writing skill of Mr. Southard! I believe the man has quiet the imagination, albeit a twisted one. Maximilian Standforth is a mystery in the likes of Sherlock Holms, but with a case that, possibly, even he couldn’t solve. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and give it 5 stars.
Christoph Fischer
Jul 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
"Maximilian Standforth and the Case of the Dangerous Dare" by Scott D. Southard is a well written and clever tongue-in-cheek take on detective novels. Told by the assistant to Maximilian in well composed English and entertaining style this concerns the dare to visit a haunted Castle.
Playing with traditional style and plot ingredients but introducing enough surprises and originality this book was great fun to read.
Anne
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
This was a very confusing book for me. The opening hinted at wry humorous adventure books like Artemis Fowl and Lemony Snicket but then mid-way through the tone changed (dare I say, the 'rules' changed) and it became darker. And finally it turned into a meta-fiction along the lines of Thursday Next. The melange of styles and tones did not work for me and the ending left me shaking my head.
Teri
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is not typically one I would read, but it captured my attention. There were quite a few twists that I did not expect. Overall, this book made a good impression.
Jim Palmer
Lisa
Cheryl
Rosanna
May 14, 2013
Scott D. Southard fell in love with books when he discovered Middle Earth and Narnia as a child. That beginning grew into a passion for classic literature and any story that he can get truly lost in. He is the author of seven books, including A Jane Austen Daydream and Permanent Spring Showers. For many years, he was heard on National Public Radio as a regular contributor to WKAR's Current State w ...more