Start by marking “The Nature of Cruelty” as Want to Read:
The Nature of Cruelty

The Nature of Cruelty

A standalone contemporary romance novel about love, hate, cruelty and forgiveness.

Her name is Lana. She wasn’t dealt the easiest cards in life. She wasn’t dealt the hardest. She has an illness, but she doesn’t let it rule her. The first time she laid eyes on her best friend’s twin brother she fell in love at first sight. It didn’t last very long. He was a hateful boy who m
Published June 28th 2013 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published June 24th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Nature of Cruelty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nature of Cruelty

Start your review of The Nature of Cruelty
"That's All" Ash

photo download-24.jpg

A story about the very thin line between love and hate.

Between cruelty and devotion.

Ever since childhood, Lana Sweeney has been love with the boy next door. With cruel eyes and a threatening smile, Robert was beautiful. He was everything Lana wasn’t. Where she was timid and shy, he had a loud laugh and moved with panther-like confidence.

And because Lana was best-friends with his twin-sister, she couldn’t escape his presence.

Not that she wanted to.

She was fascinated by him. And he always u
Melissa (Ever So Mela)

♥{Ever So Mela}♥{Bloglovin}♥{Facebook}♥{Google+}♥

20 pages in and I knew I wasn't going to like it...

60 pages in and I already wanted to DNF it

I don't tend to cuss but things do get colorful down there.

You see I didn't like anything but I'm just going to run through that things I hated. We wouldn't want a mile long review.

First off this was unbelievably horrible. Shit was just atrocious. But bear with me cause trust me when I say I have my reasons.

Lets start off with my mayor NO-NO. And that w
Georgia ♥
4+ Cruel, Endless Love and the Forever kind of Stars

"Cruelty is easy, and it breeds only misery. Kindness is harder, and you have to be brave to give it. To be cruel, you can stay closed off from everyone, wear a mask, but to be kind, in essence, to show love, you have to make yourself vulnerable, show your true self to someone and open yourself up to rejection."

description

An essay on cruelty and an epic poem on love and forgiveness. A story about two young, ordinary people, that their fear of rejection an
Lucia
May 03, 2013 rated it liked it

3.5 STARS! A story about friendships and relationships, about love and hate, about cruelty and forgiveness. I really enjoyed it.

My Lana and Robert:

Lana does not have good memories of Robert. He is a jerk who used to torment and bully Lana as a teenager, so she basically hates him. But since Lana is a best friend with his twin sister Sasha, their lives were always connected. Now, Lana is 22 years old and she is supposed to spend summer in London with Sasha and by default, she will have to meet Ro
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4 stars!

“Cruelty is easy, and it breeds only misery. Kindness is harder, and you have to be brave to give it.”

When Lana was a young girl she fell in love with her best friends brother, Robert. Very quickly, those feelings went away when Robert began to torment her, calling her names and saying cruel things.

Now Lana is an adult and hasn’t seen Robert in six years, much to her relief. But when she moves in with her best friend for the summer, it turns out Robert will be there too. Except Ro
Zaynab
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars!!!!
Jen
3.5 Stars

Nice guys are well and good, but there’s something in the female brain that will always make us swoon for a wanker.

From the time she was twelve years old, Lana’s been tormented to within an inch of her life by her best friend’s twin brother, Robert. That might’ve been something she could withstand, if only for the fact that she was in love with the beautiful boy who chose to make her teen years a living hell. Now at 22, Lana’s spending the summer with her bff Sasha in London before
Wendy'sThoughts
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: L.H. Cosway Fans, Romance
4 Stars and Maybe More Stars :DDDD
* * * * Spoiler Free
I read this awhile ago when I was new to GoodReads. I wasn't reviewing and just would list my books as I read them.

Recently, this author's Painted Faces, became available as a freebie; many took advantage and became familiar with L.H.Cosway's writing. Because I was such a huge fan, I would comment on everyone's reviews of how they should read The Nature of Cruelty. I even directed a friend to "read my review."

I went to check my review and lo
Fathima
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
GOT MY ARC !!!

photo yaay_zpsa6a408f8.gif

Thank you L.H. Cosway !!!

Buddy reading with my crazy gals Nina and Lucia ....

photo GOBCHICKEN_zps82a22c10.gif
Gio Listmaker
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those Who Like A Redeeming Bad Boy
Image result for everyone is a monster to someone

Image result for nature of cruelty

Bad Boy Tamed

Sexual Tension

Characterization

Tough But Shy Heroine

Music References

Everyone Has A Cruel/Soft Side

“This whole encounter started with me forcing my company on her, with me being the one in control, and with only a few softly spoken words she’s turned the whole thing around on me. She doesn’t even know it, but she might as well be clutching my beating heart in her gentle hands”

It Is About Power

We All Have A Past

We Are All Capable Of Change

“But just so you know, most people are made
Didi
4.5 STARS

The more I read from this author, the more I love her. I've really enjoyed her Hearts series so far, most notably Six of Hearts...Jay...the man is among my fave heroes, ever. I've also loved her collaboration with Penny Reid for The Hooker and The Hermit. I'm planning on reading Painted Faces as well which I've heard is a non-conventional love story but just as engrossing.
This book was very special, though. I have a soft spot for heroes that find themselves reluctantly in love with a w
✝✝ Ⓓaisy ❣ ✝✝
Aug 26, 2014 rated it really liked it

"I'm so into you as a person, Lana. I might as well as be living under your skin"

That's Robert Phillips and he is intense.

What is this story about Childhood mates, love and hate.

Hero Robert, I loved him. At first, he did come off as little creepy but he grew on me.

Heroine Lana was innocent but she kinda pissed me off towards the end

Steamy Yes it was just nice.

photo 0D541C75-711F-440F-8DEB-9D6E69FFAC78.jpg

" Didn't you hear a word I said earlier? It's you I want, Lana. It always has been"

photo 9A16CA85-28BE-4F48-B6A1-BA2A99329FF7.jpg

If you looking for childhood ha
Elizabeth (Liz)
L.H. Cosway exploded onto my radar with the book Painted Faces, which I read early in 2013, and which became my first 5-Star read of the year. It is still one of my favorite stories to this day. For those who have not read Painted Faces yet, I highly, HIGHLY, recommend it!! So, to say that I was thrilled and excited to read this author’s next book, The Nature of Cruelty, would be a massive understatement! I could not wait to get my hands on a copy, and I was even more honored and elated to be as ...more
Alexis *Reality Bites*
Sadly this is a DNF for me. I hit 37% and was done. I did not connect with the characters and though I enjoyed this authors writing style in the past... The writing for this book was just not my cuppa.

*Copy kindly provided by the author for an honest review*
Leslie
BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL!!

photo 14EABF2B-EED1-4A1F-A868-DE54DAD86824_1.jpg

Ms. Cosway stories are so character driven and these did not disappoint!

Robert...
 photo 6B29AF7B-9F24-417D-8FE8-1DDCB5F7864D.gif
 photo 5179B5F0-A879-4A1C-AE8B-3DE3039AA72A.gif
 photo EF8FDA5A-CC34-4E8E-9BB7-848FE825F243.gif
 photo BE420551-2EA7-4D85-8ECA-3BA57B093BDC.gif
 photo 4A730B8E-B7E5-4908-AA05-4AFD7A470CC5.gif
He's an asshole and he's mean but he's also funny and sweet and he cooks! I loved him!

I had so many quotes highlighted the whole book was lighting up! I'll just post some :0)

You were always something, but you really did turn into a swan, didn’t you, Lana?” Robert...

"He has this presence that always seems to surround me, like he’s ten people instead of one
 B.E.Love
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**re-read
Ahh Robert how I fell in love with you, and wanted more of you when I finished this book. So the start of this book I loved Robert, the middle of this book I loved Robert, and the end I loved Robert. Unfortunately I can't say the same for Lana. I really liked her at the beginning and middle of the book but at the end she really irritated me yeah she redeems herself but she really made me mad at what she did (view spoiler) and her reason for it. Ro
Jeynna ( The Romance Junkie)
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-books
5 solid stars!!

Ms. Cosway has done it again! She have not yet failed me with any of her stories. And this book is awesome . I love each and every details of it!
description

Out of all of her books that I read, this one has the ugliest book cover. Geez..the content of the book does not match up with the cover at all. BUT! Do not be deceived by the mediocre cover. I REPEAT! Do not be deceived by the cover.

This stuff is good! *wink*

The story is about a childhoood friends, hate and breakups.
Mariℓina
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
3,75 Stars,
Who knew love could be so cruel! And what really makes a tormentor so cruel? Bullies are made, not born.

This book was different and such a nice change from the last few books i read.. Genuine, sizzling but not too abviously so and with a compelling writing.
With London for the main setting, an ex-bully hero, absolutely crazy in love and a complex heroine who lives inside her head way too much, how could this book not turn out to be an entertaining journey..?

And it was!
After reading i
Crista
Jun 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Review posted at: Swept Away By Romance

Painted Faceswas one of the most unique and compelling reads that I’ve had the pleasure of reading this year, so I jumped at the chance to read The Nature of Cruelty! My expectations may have been a bit too high.

The writing in The Nature of Cruelty is undoubtedly strong. I was sucked right into the story and time flew by as I became involved in this story. I had this same experience with Painted Faces, so this author’s work is definitely worth checking out!
Elizabeth
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Second time Read : LOVE

5+++ // I decided to have the proper review for this book cause this novel is such a inspiration. Before Painted Faces, I hadn't known her before. I grabbed 'Painted Faces' because of its refreshing plot. It didn't let me down. That novel became my favorite novels immediately. When I got a chance to read her other book, I have super high expectation from her.

The Nature of Cruelty is the story of the emotional abused girl and the boy who badly treated her. The story is ba
Maria Monteiro
I was lucky enough to be asked by the author to be a beta reader for The Nature of Cruelty. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I was going to fall in love with a book. The story is centered around the main character Lana, who is going to London to spend the summer before she goes to school for her PhD, with her best friend Sasha. Sasha has a twin brother named Robert, who Lana is not very fond of. In fact he's made her life miserable in the past.

What begins in London is a whirlwind romance
Azet
First read this book two years ago in 2016,and this is my third time re-reading it."The Nature of Cruelty" is a well written contemporary romance that alters between the past and present between the responsible red-haired Lana Sweeney and her best-friends twin-brother, rebellious and sexy Robert Phillips .They have known each other since they were kids and Robert always bullied her while covering his secret obsession with her. Now adults they meet again...and the connection that always simmered ...more
Amanda (.---.--.-...-)

I really enjoyed Cosway's writing style. TNoC had banter and steam, which I crave in a CR these days. I liked how the story was set in London and used enough details to bring back travel memories, or let you feel a little of London's characteristics if you haven't visited, but not so many that I couldn't connect, being an American citizen and all.

I could look around the immature behavior, the Made in Chelsea reference was a perfect way for me to visualize their little group of friends, and genui
Karrington
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a gem from L.H. Cosway. I can't believe I didn't know about this book until last week. I really loved it.
Sofia
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
FAVORITE SHEEEEELF..ding ding ding!!!Although the title of this book is simply PERFECT, the cover doesn't do any justice!The story is one of the most beautiful i've read so far!..
Most of you know the saying that the little boys are mean and pick the girls sometimes, because instead they like them and they don't know how to react toward them..?!..or something like that.Well, that the story reminded me when i read it.Swoonworthy, love story..great dialogue/lines..refreshing characters.Not once i g
Amber
DNF @ 25%. Just couldn't get into this. There's moments of good writing here, and a good plot set-up, but nothing is coming together. So slow and boring. ):
Rhonda
May 21, 2013 rated it liked it

Review also posted at: http://samsawesomness.blogspot.com/20...

How awesome would it be to come face to face with the tormentor from your adolescence, the one who was cruel with their words and hurt you unmercifully and completely destroyed your self-esteem, and then to let that person see the hottie you turned out to be ?

That’s exactly the opportunity Lana has when she leaves her home in Ireland to visit her best friend in London for the summer, Sasha. To Lana’s misfortune, the tormentor from h
❃**✿【Yasmine】✿**❃
There's a fine line between hate and obsession

As a girl Lana fell in love with her new next door neighbours; the beautiful twin siblings, Sasha and Robert. Sasha loved her back like a sister, but Robert made her miserable. He embarrassed her, called her names and teased her, he feeds off her reactions and is emotionally sadistic towards her.

Six years ago the twins moved to London to be with their rich and snobby Father. Sasha and Lana are still friends, and before Lana starts her P
Michelle
Jul 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 01-signed
Lana fell in love with a boy when she was just a little girl. But that boy tormented her at every chance. But that was then, and now Lana is heading to London to spend the summer with Sasha, her best friend and twin to that boy, Robert. But Robert isn’t a boy anymore and he isn’t as cruel as she remembers.

When events lead Robert to need to stay with his sister, he knows the only way she’ll agree is if Lana does as well – so a truce is called. But Lana isn’t sure she can trust Robert after all th
✿ℎazℯℓ - thℯ ℛock Cℎick ℱairy✿
I can't believe how I was completely blown away by this book.

I was just browsing through some books because I was still riding the BULLY (by Penelope Douglas) high and I was looking for something similar. I came across this and I can't complain. It's really good. It's hot, most definitely interesting and fun!

The bully part of the book is not really severe. This is downright I-love-the-girl-so-I-harass-her-to-get-a-rise-out-of-her. Robert explained it and frankly, I thought his reasoning was a b
Books similar to this? 6 85 Dec 29, 2014 06:53PM

• Monster Stepbrother
  • Lexi, Baby (This Can't Be Happening, #1)
  • Josh & Hannah (Redwood Falls, #1)
  • Alpha Bully (The Alpha Shifter Collection #5)
  • The Line Between (The Line Between, #1)
  • Treacherous (Carter Kids #1)
  • The Ending I Want
  • An Old Flame
  • Dominic (Slater Brothers, #1)
  • Twisted Kingdom (Royal Elite, #3)
  • Untouchable
  • Deviant King (Royal Elite, #1)
  • Never Sweeter (Dark Obsession, #2)
  • Steel Princess (Royal Elite, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
  • Wingman [Woman]
  • Grayson
  • Fear Us (Broken Love, #3)
L.H. Cosway lives in Dublin, Ireland. Her inspiration to write comes from music. Her favourite things in life include writing stories, vintage clothing, dark cabaret music, food, musical comedy, and of course, books.

She thinks that imperfect people are the most interesting kind. They tell the best stories.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LHCosway