Start by marking “El chico de oro” as Want to Read:
El chico de oro

El chico de oro

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  6,812 Ratings  ·  1,452 Reviews
Max Walker es un chico de oro. Bronceado, rubio, atractivo y atlético, es el hijo perfecto, el deportista perfecto y un partido perfecto para las chicas de su escuela. También es el modelo a seguir para su hermano pequeño.

Su aparentemente modélica familia ocupa una posición más que envidiable: su padre es candidato a las elecciones al Parlamento y, entretanto, Max se enamo
Published August 31st 2013 by Ediciones B (first published May 9th 2013)

Raeleen Lemay
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Raeleen by: Lindsey Rey
MY FEELINGS.
Whitney Atkinson
This is one of my new favorite books of all time. I am astounded by it, and I started crying as soon as I began typing this review. This topic is so important and I learned so much throughout this book, and it was told in such a gripping and tragic way that I was nearly sobbing throughout the last half of this book. It deals with seriously tragic and infuriating topics, so trigger warning for rape. this is an unforgettable read and I recommend it to anyone who breathes!
karen
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
max is an intersex teenager who identifies as male. when he becomes the victim of a sexual assault, the consequences are both physically and emotionally devastating and wayyy too much for a sixteen-year-old to deal with, especially one who has until then led such a charmed life.

despite having to carry this secret his whole life, max was remarkably well-adjusted before the attack. he is an accomplished athlete and student, his home life is fairly stable, despite two overachieving parents and wha
Petra X
Top fiction. I had to cut down the GR description of it because it gave too much away. If you think you might read this book, only read really short reviews, try and avoid knowing anything about it Everything you know will take away from the interest and surprise. There is nothing in this review that will take away from the surprises and I hope only increase the interest in it.

This would make a really fantastic film. Intersex fascinates everyone and the book is extremely visual. I don't want to
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Jul 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Vanessa J.
Shelves: young-adult

I read this as a birthday gift for the smart and beautiful, Vane who is celebrating her birthday on September 19. Happy birthday, hun!<3 Don't forget to greet her!^^Originally, she unreasonably asked me to read books two to four of the Monstrumologist series before her birthday. (Girl is dreaming! Lol). Instead, I read this standalone which she recommended perhaps a little halfheartedly. Lol.

This is a story about a unique 15 year old named Max, a perfect golden boy who everyone adores but wh
Nina
This book broke me.

I think it might be the best thing I've read in the last couple years, and I'm not good at choosing favourites. Still, a book that makes me sob my heart out - silently, in the middle of the night - is not something I encounter everyday. An emotional impact this powerful is something to commend, and it's not the only exceptional thing about this novel.

I tricked myself a little bit when I started this book. Both covers are colourful and simply nice-looking, so even though I knew
Carol
"If you love someone, you love them. It doesn't matter where they came from or if they're a boy or a girl, or if you fight, or if they're weird, or if they find it difficult to communicate with you; you just fucking love them."

Max is an intersex child. (previously called hermaphrodite) His story is not an easy read. It begins in a rather shocking manner and continues in a sometimes disturbing and often unsettling direction.

When I first started reading GOLDEN BOY, I wasn't quite sure where the au

Suzanne
Why have I not I heard of this book before now? Why isn't the entire reading community talking about this?

Abigail Tarttelin has written an amazing story of her Max, who is intersex - it is a topic that I have not really thought of much before now, not a lot of us would have I suspect. I feel like I am lost for words right now, I don't want to retell the story, this is one that must be read and understood by all that are lucky to come across this fabulous book.

Max's story comes to us from the p
Elyse
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phenomenal!!!! I highly recommend this go to the TOP of people's "want-to-read" list.

Here's one small quote... Then I won't say anything more, other than this is an engaging page turning unforgettable important book.

"If we don't listen to him, if we take away his right to his own choices, his own body, then he ceases to be an autonomous being and becomes a thing."
Nancy
Cross-posted at Outlaw Reviews and at Shelf Inflicted

I feel like a big old meany for not liking this book as much as my friends did.

It is wordy and repetitive, the multiple viewpoints drove me nuts, and the characters lacked substance and authenticity. Though I really admire Max’s parents’ decision not to make their child undergo surgery to correct his intersex condition, I could strangle them for being so secretive about it and allowing Max to grow up and navigate the difficult world of adolesc
Mayra Sigwalt
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eu sei que daqui a pouco vou falar desse livro no meu resumão do mês, mas acho que aqui consigo elaborar um pouco mais sobre essa leitura.
Acho que meu erro principal ao pegar esse livro pra ler, foi falta de informação. O que eu sabia: Temos 1 personagem intersexual (YAY!), todas as pessoas falando "esse livro é muito bom!" e "olha que capa colorida, deve ser um livro feliz!" (HA HA).
O que todas as pessoas que me recomendaram esse livro esqueceram de mencionar, é que ele precisa de um TRIGGER W
Jaidee
Aug 02, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

1.5 "thirty nine children playing violins very loudly for the very first time" stars.

1. Suzanne so sorry that this book did not work for me the way it did for you.

2. Two thumbs up for the education provided around intersexuality. I hope with time that this group will be represented more in all areas of life with dignity and respect.

3. However, I hated this as a novel. The book was like a three ring circus. Histrionic, overly affective and completely unbelievable. The voices of the characters wer
Debbie
Omg this is the best book I’ve read in ages! A real page-turner! Can’t believe the author is just 25! She is such a rising star.
I am recommending it to everyone. Like “We Need to Talk About Kevin” (by Lionel Shriver), there is no way I will ever forget this story.
The intersex (previously called hermaphrodite) hero is incredibly well drawn and sympathetic. The story is bizarre, thoughtful, intense, well-written, and fast-moving. I couldn’t put it down. There is a disturbing scene in the beginnin
Debbie "DJ"
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, lgbt
WARNING, WARNING, Do not start this book if you have anything you need to do during the day, or need to sleep at night. This book literally rocked my world. It is brilliant.

This is a story of an intersex child named Max. Nothing has been done to change Max since Max was a baby, so Max grows up identifying as a male, but is really both male and female. (That may seem some awkward wording, but it just shows how intrenched we are at labeling anyone a he or a she right from the beginning.) So, this
Vanessa J.
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Vanessa by: Leah
4.5 out of 5 stars

Max is what people call a “golden boy”: He has perfect grades, he's good-looking, all girls have a crush with him, he's everyone's favorite, etc. He's also an intersex. But that's no problem – not even to him. That is, until he's sexually assaulted and he starts to question himself and people around him.

This book evokes so many feelings, but joy is not one of them. In general, it's depressing and painful to read, but I also got really, really angry at some points. This is highl
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
This is one of those times where I'm incredibly glad that I'm a book blogger. You see, were I not blogging, I would not have the reader friends I do, and I would miss out on books like Golden Boy. I never would have picked this up in the store, because the cover is weird and doesn't really convey the subject matter. Thankfully, a couple days after I got an email with Golden Boy as one of the audiobooks available for review, my dear friend Jenni of Alluring Reads told me that she felt certain I w ...more
Karen
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Elyse for this recommendation...
I really could not put this book down for long..it's about an intersex boy named Max and struggles he's going through, one especially terrible, kept me up all night reading because I had to know what happened to him, the story is told from a few different peoples POV.
Bianca

This was still beckoning me on the library shelf, so I ended up checking it out despite its very small font. I managed to finish it in two days, which is quite the accomplishment given how wordy it is.

I'm just going to write down some thoughts before I hit the pillow.

Golden Boy was quite gripping, I kept reading and turning the page to find out what happens next. Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides was the only other book I read about an intersex/hermaphrodite person. This was quite differen
☼♄Jülie 
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
Recommended to ☼♄Jülie  by: Suzanne

What a moving and heartfelt story!

Max Walker is truly a golden boy.
A gorgeous blonde haired, blue eyed teen who is the envy of his peers and the one all the young girls dream about going out with.
He is great at school and is the captain of the football team.
And as well as all that, he is a beautiful soul who shares a close and loving relationship with his parents and his brother.

But Max has a big secret, he was born intersex and until now everything has been ok with him. He has long since come
Kyle
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Not my normal read but still interesting.

So Max Walker is what most people would call the perfect teen boy. The perfect son, perfect athlete, perfect friend, perfect boyfriend, perfect date, and perfect big brother. But under it all Max has a secret. A secret no one wants to talk about. A secret that his family has hidden all his life. Max is intersex. But when his oldest and closest friend betrays him in the worst way possible, Max's perfect life begins to unravel.

The story is definitely an em

Chinelo
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of Golden Boy from the Goodreads Giveaway.

Wow. Just wow. This book hits you hard from the beginning, and doesn't let go until you've read the last word on the last page. I wouldn't recommend letting younger people or those easily offended/sensitive to touchy subject matters read this book, but that's just my opinion. I read the general summary of the plot on the Internet, but OH MY GOSH that did not prepare for the roller-coaster that is this book. But I say that with absolutel
Kelli
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I honestly don't know what to say about this one. Dealing with the topic of intersex (something I have never considered or read about,) this story touches on so many truly important life issues: secrets, trust, betrayal, gender ambiguity, parental responsibility, sexuality, hormones, development, the actual medical information, surgical options, self-acceptance, identity and the many challenges of being a teenager. There are other pieces to this story that add significantly(!!!) to this list but ...more
Bill
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Prologue – In my view some key elements of this story are simply implausible. YA can be that way. Either the plot lines are hard to believe or the young adults speak with the language and communication skills and the knowledge of an older adult with many years of life experiences. That being said, my thoughts about this story look past the implausibility factor.

4 STARS!

“The scariest thing is a secret,” he says very slowly and sort of rhythmically. “Secrets are like invisible maggots,” Max says s
Emily M
This is a brilliantly-written coming-of-age story about a boy named Max, who was born intersex. I added this one to my list when it first came out, but I must have read only a partial synopsis; this subject is a very enlightening one -- one that lets you see into the life of somebody dealing with something you have perhaps considered only briefly in your life -- and I would have had a look at it sooner if I had known more.

Through the use of multiple characters' perspectives -- and the empathy we
Ylenia
Jul 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ylenia by: Lindsey Rey
*3.5 stars*

Ugh, I really really wanted to love this book but there was just toooooo much stuff that happened it left me unsatisfied.

This book is really important. Top-priority-important. But the author tried to talk about so many things it was just too much to handle at some point.

shady boots | #WatchPOSE
This was literally the first book I bothered to touch in months.

Part of it was because I spiraled back into my video game obsession, plus spending my entire summer vacation watching a bunch of shows I've always wanted to watch but never did until then. But really, another reason is that whenever I look at the young adult books of today, it feels... exhausting, in a way. Because honestly a huge majority of it is still the same shit. A huge chunk of YA is still as uninspired and trope-infested as
John Wood
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Max Walker seems to have a wonderful life. He is popular, athletic and does well academically. What few people know, is that he is a hermaphrodite or using the modern term intersex. This book does an excellent job of explaining the problems and feelings that he must overcome. This isn't something that you can easily share with people and makes it nearly impossible to be intimate with anyone. Instead of chapters the book is divided by sections headed by the name of the character narrating that pa ...more
Lou
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
Imagine...
Imagine.. There is not only Adam and Eve but a person caught in between.
Yes like that John Lennon song goes
Imagine...but with a new sentence,
finding out your life is different and that you're not only one....
That your not just male but also female, the emotion and feelings behind this, something one won't grasp or quite understand unless they have these two genders.
Gender may have never been more in your mind, in your face until you read this tale from a first person perspective, hol
Kaitlin
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the latest #BookBuddyBox book and I am so happy it was becuase I'd never heard of it before ti turned up in the post, and yet it was such an important and brilliant read that it kept me up way past bedtime and made me cry.

This is the story of Max, and Intersex young child who identifies as male and, by all outward appearances, who has the 'golden' life. He's top in his classes, popular, and filled with happiness and life. However, all of this changes when Max is assaulted by someone de
Dianne
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I. COULD. NOT. PUT. THIS. BOOK. DOWN!!!! Mesmerizing story. I had my heart in my throat most of the time, worrying about what was going to happen to Max. The writing was somewhat juvenile in places and the book could have used a tougher editor, but pretty minor stuff. Don't miss this one.
  • Transitions of the Heart: Stories of Love, Struggle and Acceptance by Mothers of Transgender and Gender Variant Children
  • For Today I Am a Boy
  • Alex As Well
  • Not Otherwise Specified
  • Lizard Radio
  • Looks Over (Gives Light, #2)
  • Intersex (For Lack of a Better Word)
  • Branded by the Pink Triangle
  • Lost Boi
  • Jumpstart the World
  • Some Assembly Required: The Not-So-Secret Life of a Transgender Teen
  • Choir Boy
  • Transparent: Love, Family, and Living the T with Transgender Teenagers
  • This is Not a Love Story (Love Story Universe)
  • Beyond Binary: Genderqueer and Sexually Fluid Speculative Fiction
  • Good Kings Bad Kings
  • Brewster
  • Beautiful Music for Ugly Children
Hello! I'm Abby.

I'm the author of Dead Girls, a feminist crime thriller about a girl who hunts her best friend's killer.

"Gripping doesn’t begin to cover it. Feminist, bold, shocking, packed with little epiphanies." - Shelley Harris, author of Vigilante and Jubilee

I also wrote Golden Boy, about intersex teen, Max Walker. Golden Boy won a 2014 American Library Association ALEX Award for Best Adult

Fiction Deals

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • The Man He Never Was: A Modern Reimagining of Jekyll and Hyde
  • The Bookshop
  • I Hate Everyone But You
  • With Shuddering Fall
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • 223 Orchard Street
  • No One Is Coming to Save Us
  • Brief Encounters with Che Guevara: Stories
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Small Great Things
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Archer's Tale (The Grail Quest, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Glittering Images (Starbridge, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreaming in Cuban
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Hush (Just This Once, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Anywhere but Here (Vintage Contemporaries)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Sweet By and By
    $9.74 $1.99
  • George
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hangman's Curse (Veritas Project, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
“It takes strength to be proud of yourself and to accept yourself when you know that you have something out of the ordinary about you.” 53 likes
“Sometimes I still feel that there are two of me: one clean, flawless picture, the other imperfect and cracked; one boy, one girl; one voice that speaks aloud and one that whispers in my ear; one publicly known to have been troubled but be on the mend, the other who has privately lost something to do with innocence and gained something to do with knowledge and adulthood that can never be undone. I feel sometimes there are things that tear me in two directions, that there are two sets of thoughts that grow side by side. But then I realize that I am whole, whatever that means and does not mean; I am complete without the need for additions or alteration.” 36 likes