Start by marking “The Courage to Care: Rescuers of Jews During the Holocaust” as Want to Read:
The Courage to Care: Rescuers of Jews During the Holocaust

The Courage to Care: Rescuers of Jews During the Holocaust

Jewish survivors of World War II tell the stories of some of the non-Jews who helped them escape the Nazis in France, the Netherlands, Poland, Italy, Bulgaria, Norway, and Denmark.
Published September 1st 1986 by New York University Press

To ask other readers questions about The Courage to Care, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Courage to Care

Start your review of The Courage to Care: Rescuers of Jews During the Holocaust
ReadingMiss0
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Someone lent me copy of THE COURAGE TO CARE, knowing I am interested in the Holocaust. This book exceeded any and all expectations I had.

THE COURAGE TO CARE is a collection of testimonies from survivors of the Holocaust who hid and those amazing individuals who risked their lives to help save Jews and others who were being hunted by the Nazis.

For the Jews, they faced death simply because of the religion they were born into, whether they practiced the faith or not. First there was di
Carol Storm
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this inspiring collection of first-person true stories celebrating courageous Holocaust survivors and rescuers from all over Europe!
Sylvester
Jul 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book was divided into two parts: the first half told the story of a group of Jewish children who were rescued from concentration camps, orphanages, or from families who (because of the war) simply did not have the means to support them. This group of about 20 are cared for in a home in Britain, run by a woman who did her best to provide stability and a sense of family to them. The second half of the book visits many of the children years later, to see how they have managed, and if they have ...more
Joseph
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another book I picked up on rescuers of Jews (see my review for The Hand of Compassion: Portraits of Moral Choice During the Holocaust for the first I skimmed). I feel a little bad for not finishing these books, because they provide such fascinating looks into some of the most evil and, more particularly, the most profoundly good parts, of humanity. The stories in this book are in narrative form (compared to the transcript form in The Hand of Compassion) and quicker to read. You don't always get the dept ...more
Lin
Oct 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
By far, one of the most moving books I have ever read. Although the Holocaust will always be one of the most horrific events to ever occur in the 20th century, this book supports the fact that, in the face of so much evil, good people do exist, and did so at the risk of losing their own lives in order to save the lives of others. I cannot recommend this book highly enough. Definitely worth putting on your reading list.
Sharon H
Jun 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
First person accounts of rescuers and survivors of Nazi persecution, with photos of the people, hiding places, documents, and communities to supplement the text.

I would use this as part of everyday warm ups where students would have time to read a small portion and then answer a daily question.
Marianne
Oct 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I was so moved by the stories in this book. When most of the world did nothing, there were those few who saw the injustices around them and had the courage to risk everything to help those in desperate need. This book reminds us what humanity is and the moral choices we can make.
Marie-Anne
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: france-wwii
Rescuers interviewed. The book accompanies the film, which came first. Both book and film are excellent research.
Matty
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Interesting to see a different array of people from different countries in Europe, that did rescue for their Jewish neighbors.
Karen Gallant