Start by marking “Can't Sleep” as Want to Read:
Can't Sleep

Can't Sleep

3.28  ·  Rating details ·  57 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
With soothing and sweeping blues and yellows and a lyrical, simple text, Chris Raschka shows a little dog who can't sleep. As his brother, and then parents all Fall asleep, the moon stays awake and comforts the little sleepless dog.
Board Book, 16 pages
Published September 1st 1999 by Scholastic (first published September 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Can't Sleep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Can't Sleep

Kelly
Nice enough story about the moon watching over a dog who can't sleep. Didn't like the pictures.
Celeste Powell
8 Can't Sleep
i) Can’t Sleep tells the story about this dog who is suffering from insomnia. While the dog lies awake at night, the moon acts as a guardian angel. The moon watches over the dog, keeps him company, and protects him. Even after the dog is finally able to go to sleep, the moon still continues his responsibilities. When the morning comes, it is now time for the moon to go to sleep, and the roles are changed. Now, it is the dog’s turn to watch over the moon and protect it.
ii) The theme
Liane
Oct 19, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: liane
Genre: Picture Book

Reading Level: Late Emergent

Topics & Themes: Not being able to fall asleep. Moon watching and protecting.

Curricular Use: Read aloud

Literary Elements: Personification: dog characters and moon as a being. Chunked text into a rhythmic pattern.

Text & Pictures: Interaction of text and pictures. Moon's eye turned to dog who cannot sleep. Some pages have no text and use illustrations to show the reader the action.

Additional Notes: Olivia's nomination for “Won't You Be My Neig
Jenny
Very charming little book. I really like it as something for a kid who has trouble sleeping - I was like that as a kid and this book might have helped (especially because the characters are dogs and I had dogs as a child). I love the art style; it's very simple and stylized, and I love the use of brushstrokes, and the way that the art isn't quite grounded in reality. It gives the book a sort of floaty feeling that is really good for a book about going to sleep.
Samantha
A sweet bedtime story that offers readers reassurance for peaceful slumber. Lyrical text promises the moon will watch over you as you sleep and in the morning you will return the favor.

Watercolor paintings are beautiful. My favorite image is of the moon softly kissing the head of a sleeping dog. Waht a ice image to drift off to sleep to... PreK-2.
Melanie
A so-so bedtime story from Chris Raschka. Never a fan of his work and this book didn't change my mind. Raschka rambles on about the moon and how it will watch over sleeping or not-able-to-sleep children.

Not conducive to being a read-aloud as text is blocked in choppy segments.
Paula
A book about not being able to sleep with reassurance that the moon will be the one that keeps watch while everyone goes to sleep and so can you. The text flows over to following pages which makes it more difficult for a larger group with the smaller illustrations. Good for one on one
Sabeen
this was such a sweet and creative book! i think it fosters a love of nature in your children. You can also compare the moon that stays awake to the children parent, as parents stay awake when their children are awake and also watch over them and protect them.
Tricia
reassuring story about the moon staying awake until a child falls asleep.
Rose Ann
Why did it take me 18 years to discover this charming picture book? I was entranced! Lovely!

The moon watches over you while you sleep, if you are frightened and lonely.
Danielle
CAN'T SLEEP is so sweet.
Mar 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story to read with younger children about sleep. May be used to calm children down before nap time if they have trouble resting.
Kjartan A.
Great pictures and a cute story!! If I were to use this in my classroom I would use on the youngest children, as the oldest probably would find this book a little boring.
Paul
Feb 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-lit
This was a little more tender than I have expected from Raschka, but his economical use of brushstrokes and text, and use of a dog as the main character make this an enjoyable end-of-the-day read.
Christina Maksymczuk
I like the illustrations in this book and the dog is really cute. Children can relate to the main character.
Kelly
rated it did not like it
Sep 18, 2015
Katie
Apr 17, 2014
"I always try to treat the book itself as the artwork," Chris Raschka says. "I don't want you to stop while you're reading one of my books and say, 'Oh! What a gorgeous illustration!' I want you to stop at the end of the book and say, 'This is a good book.' "

Chris Raschka is one of those people who knew from an early age what he wanted to be when he grew up. "It was never a question in my mind,"
More about Chris Raschka...