Start by marking “Fishing in the Air” as Want to Read:
Fishing in the Air

Fishing in the Air

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  169 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
We were going on a
journey, to a secret place.
We'd catch the air!
We'd catch the breeze!
A father and son set out early one morning in search of a cool, clear river in which to fish. With their lines and bobbers, they cast high into the air catching memories, discoveries, and

a bubble of breeze
and a sliver of sky
and a slice of yellow sun.
The first picture book by Sharon
Published September 5th 2000 by HarperCollins

Alley Denney
Sep 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story touched my heart. I loved the relationship between the boy and his father and how his father told the story of his first time fishing. This story will relate to many many students I believe.
Rani
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Special place, by the river, special day for father and son. Creating memories. Beautiful writing.
Matthew Hunter
Beautiful work by both Creech and Raschka. Creech's poetry makes me nostalgic not for fishing, but for golfing with my Dad. She uses subtle repetition of phrase to great effect with me. I related to the Father's yearning for an idyllic past, and to the Son's desire to know more about his Father's past while also living together in the present. (FATHER REMINISCES: "Oh, where is that house?? And where are those fields and that river and that father and that boy?" SON RESPONDS SIMPLY: "Right here." ...more
Jane G Meyer
While I absolutely adore the text of this picture book, which is full of wonder, and lyricism, I struggle with the illustrations that seem over-the-edge and often difficult to decipher. They have a very strong Italian pottery look, with rounded everything, and color everywhere. I find it's very difficult for your eye to find a landing place. When you look at the page your eye zooms round and round aimlessly, which obviously fits the title, but in the end doesn't enhance the finer points of this ...more
Baby Bookworm
Hello, everyone! Our book today is Fishing In The Air, written by Sharon Creech and illustrated by Chris Raschka, a colorful and imaginative tale about the special bond between fathers and sons.

A little boy and his father leave early one morning, to go on an adventure to a secret place. As they travel and prepare, they talk and use their imaginations, and the world around them comes alive with colors. When they begin to fish, the father tells the boy about where he grew up, and how his own fathe
Aunt Edie
We entertain a lot of guests in Colorado - over 30 in 2014. Some of them are quite small. Unfortunately, with no kids of our own, our place can be rather dry for our littlest guests. We have every toy older visitors could want but the youngest are left making do with a few well-meaning but ineffectual attempts at entertainment. Fortunately the Salida Public Library is a treasure. So I take my little friends on a field trip. It is always a hit. There are games to play and puzzles to solve. And ea ...more
Brianna
With beautiful watercolor illustrations that channel the likeness of Impressionist painters Van Gogh and Monet, Sharon Creech's "Fishing In the Air" tells a story of a boy and his father on his first fishing trip. The story is told through the eyes of the boy, his enthusiasm and the magic of the day told in detail with the gorgeous illustrations twirling and looping around the text.

Sharon Creech's descriptive text takes a hold of the reader and pulls them right into the magic of the moment with
Gabriela Cano
I was really surprised when reading this book, I was not sure what to expect when looking at the cover but the story is beautiful and the metaphors and similes were used perfect when explaining how the viewed their surrounding. How i would use this in the classroom is for individual reading for ages 7-8 because it does have a more complex plot and younger kids won't understand.
Jessica
A boy and his father go on a fishing trip, with only a can of worms and a sack of sandwiches. This book is about imagination, the boy figuring out who he is through his father and who his father is, and not only about literally catching fish. Overall, this book is great for lower level readers and could be integrated into circle time or used for a poetry curriculum around father's day.
Matthew
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This story of a father-son fishing trip is probably the richest piece of writing from Sharon Creech that I've ever read. I'd love to use this book to share some great examples of figurative language. Chris Raschka did a great job illustrating this text, and this is coming from someone who doesn't love Raschka illustrations. Phenominal book. I highly recommend it.
Cheryl Kays
Nov 28, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a beautifully illustrated story that tells about a boy and his father's first fishing trip together. Though the pictures are bright and vibrant, the wording could be tricky for many elementary aged students, I would recommend using this as a read aloud for older students (upper elementary and middle school).
Victoria Beaudoin
This book was a great book. I found myself visualizing without thinking when reading the words. The illustrations would bring the book to life and help me visualize the scene being described even more. The illustrations were amazing. I would recommend this picture book in classrooms everywhere. It is relatable and the students will put themselves within the book which is great.
Brandee Osborn
Nov 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beginning-reader
A boy and his father go on a fishing trip, with only a can of worms and a sack of sandwiches. It is about imagination, the boy figuring out who he is through his father and who his father is, and not about literally catching fish. A great creative thinking piece that can show how something isn't always what you may think it is.
Kathy Pollock
This book has some interesting illustrations that make me want to look closely. The story is also interesting but the best thing about this book is the descriptive language. The author uses a lot of descriptive words to make her writing come alive. The language is kid friendly so I think it is a mentor text that can easily be used with young children.
Diana Pettis
The one thing I liked about this book was how the illustrations and words matched perfectly. Not sure if I would use as a read-aloud for students in K-2, probably students in 3 and up. The message and vocabulary in my opinion a little trickier.
Shaley Dunn
I really enjoyed this book. It is about a boy that is going on a journey with his father. It is about imagination, the boy figuring out who he is through his father, and who is father is. This book would be great for the lower levels. It has wonderful flowing pictures with vibrant colors.
Allison
I support independent bookstores. You can use this link to find one near you: http://www.indiebound.
Josiah
Aug 11, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I would give this story one and a half stars, I think.
The illustrations of two-time Caldecott Medalist Chris Raschka are swirly and visceral, lending an interesting atmosphere to this story of a father-and-son fishing excursion. Many readers will enjoy this book.
Taylor Darst
Dec 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
Interesting book for kids but it was good.
Samantha
A father and son go fishing and the father shares the important images of his childhood with the boy. Vibrant watercolor illustrations give readers the feel of passing through memories. PreK-2.
Colby Sharp
Aug 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
I will be using this book for sure next year when teaching setting.
Lindsay
dads and sons, father's day, fishing, imagination
Stephanie Moss
I love memories- and a response to this book could be about catching memories and holding onto them, giving students time to remember the good times.
Anissa
similes
imagery
Kim
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful book with Raschka's lovely illustrations. This book would be perfect to support a lesson on creative writing,descriptions or memories.
Elanor
All by herself!
Rainey
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely beautiful book with a weird story :)
Tara
Nov 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful illustrations - they makes this book.
Michelle L.
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was fun to read this since she refers to "fishing in the air" in other books she has written.
Pauline
Jul 01, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Cute story with wonderful illustrations...kept Robby's attention, even through the abstract concepts.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Imaginary Garden
  • My Friend, the Starfinder
  • Amazing Faces
  • I Like Old Clothes
  • What Can a Crane Pick Up?
  • When the Sea Turned to Silver
  • The Blacker the Berry (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
  • The Circus Ship
  • The Moon Over Star
  • Madlenka
  • Hogwash! (Wilson, Karma)
  • Honey... Honey... Lion!
  • The Goodnight Train
  • I Pledge Allegiance
  • Tallulah's Solo
  • The Dumpster Diver
  • Sitti's Secrets
  • The Thanksgiving Door
I was born in South Euclid, Ohio, a suburb of Cleveland, and grew up there with my noisy and rowdy family: my parents (Ann and Arvel), my sister (Sandy), and my three brothers (Dennis, Doug and Tom).
For a fictional view of what it was like growing up in my family, see Absolutely Normal Chaos. (In that book, the brothers even have the same names as my own brothers.) Our house was not only full of
More about Sharon Creech...