Start by marking “The Year of Ancient Ghosts” as Want to Read:

The Year of Ancient Ghosts

The Year of Ancient Ghosts is the first collection of stories by multiple award-winning Australian writer Kim Wilkins. Born in England, Kim Wilkins is the author of over 20 novels for readers of all ages. Her debut novel The Infernal won two Aurealis Awards. Her latest books, contemporary epic romances, are published under the pseudonym Kimberley Freeman, and include Light ...more
Published May 15th 2013 by Ticonderoga Publications (first published May 9th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Year of Ancient Ghosts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year of Ancient Ghosts

Start your review of The Year of Ancient Ghosts
Alan Baxter
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An amazing collection of five novellas. Beautifully written and overflowing with imagination and historical homage. The last story, "The Lark and the River", is the standout for me - a stunning piece of work. This book was published a few years ago and it's taken me a while to get around to it, but I'm very glad I finally did.
S.B. Wright
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
How not to sound like a raving fanboy?

Hmm… probably not going to happen.

How often does a collection of novellas cause you to go and borrow every book you can by the author? For you see, that’s what I did before I’d finished reading The Year of Ancient Ghosts. That was before the Lark and the River, the final novella in the collection left me blinking away the tears, left me so immersed that I had to remind myself that it was fiction.

Not many writers do that to me anymore. It is a battle – skill
Nathan
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Kim Wilkins is, without doubt, one of the best writers of fantasy and speculative fiction Australia has ever produced. "The Year of Ancient Ghosts", a collection of five novellas, showcases her prodigious talent.

My favourite novella in the collection was "Dindrana's Lover", which is a clever story told about the sister of Percival from the Table Round. My least favourite - by quite some margin - was "Wild Dreams of Blood", which didn't grip me the way the other four novellas did.

"Crown of Rowan
Ticonderoga Publications
Standard Ticonderoga Disclaimer: We published this book because we loved it!
Tsana Dolichva
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Year of Ancient Ghosts by Kim Wilkins is a collection of five novellas. It is also the first thing of hers that I've read (despite having bought one of her novels many years ago...). I initially bought it and started reading it because the first, titular, story was shortlisted for a Ditmar, but boy am I glad I did! Not for nothing was the collection also shortlisted for an Aurealis Award and did the same story win the Best Horror Short Story Aurealis and make the Fantasy shortlist as well.

Th
Donna
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed the stories in this one. First time reading Kim Wilkins and i will be pursuing other books by her. I loved the lark and the river but the ancient ghosts was my favorite.
⋟Kimari⋞
The Crown of Rowan
Dindrana’s Lover
Wild Dreams of Blood
The Lark and the River
Stephanie
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aww-2013, read-2013
Kim Wilkins is one of the authors who has long been on my "automatically buy" list, so when Ticonderoga Press announced the publication of "The Year of Ancient Ghosts", a collection of novellas and short stories, I happily pre-ordered the signed limited edition hardcover. As an aside, if you're ever in the position where you're trying to decide if Ticonderoga's limited editions are worth the money, they absolutely are. They are absolutely beautiful books.

This collection is filled with vibrant, b
Liz
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
‘The Year of Ancient Ghosts’ expertly combines the familiar and the fantastical, with five wondrous and terrifying novellas inspired by medieval literature and history. The myth, magic, and history the stories are steeped in, are renewed in the genuine characters and vivid landscapes Kim Wilkins creates.

'The Year of Ancient Ghosts' is the first novella in Wilkins’ brilliant collection. After tragedy befalls Jenny McBride’s small family, she is left, to cope, without her husband. Jenny travels wi
Mary
Oct 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really like the stories in “The Year of Ancient Ghosts”. Some more than others but I think the two stories that stand out for me was” Dindrana’s Lover” and “The Lark and the River”. Both of these stories have religious undertones and backgrounds. Both have forbidden love, both have strong female characters. However all the stories are about women struggles in one form or another.
In “Dindrana’s Lover”, the end circles back to the beginning in an ironic way. The ironic part is how she gets what
Anna Hepworth
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
this is a collection of beautiful stories, and I would probably rate it 4.5, if the half star was an option. It loses the point, because for me it was hard work to read. The stories were fascinating, the ideas were great, but the prose didn't drag me in, and I had to remind myself that this was what I was reading. Maybe another time, I'll find it more gripping, given that these are the kind of stories that usually grab me and don't let me go.

Of the five stories, I found "Dindrana's Lover" to be
Kate Forsyth
May 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book! Kim Wilkins is one of my all-time favourite writers, spinning together suspense, romance, history and mythology into books that are utterly unputdownable (is that a word?) However, she's been busy the last few years writing parallel historical/contemporary books under the name Kimberley Freeman (still uputdownable but with a greater emphasis on family drama than mythology and fairy tale - read all about Kimberley Freeman's books HERE).

So I was very excited to be sent an advan
Mary-Rose MacColl
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is Kim Wilkins at her very best. These novellas - the form really suits her writing - are all in the space she explored in her earlier fiction. These stories have an energy that compels a reader. They are also well paced with some lovely characters. I loved the title novella The Year of Ancient Ghosts for its perfect balance of character and story, and The Lark and the River is just a perfect story. Dindrana's Lover, there's so much here to read and love. And The Crown of Rohan, I do hope w ...more
Amanda
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, horror, fiction
I need an extra star for this because five isn't enough. I've loved Kim Wilkins's writing since her very first book, The Infernal. She captures the essence of the world she's writing in until you're right there, feeling the words wash over you, in the world she's created. This is a collection of stories, some of them set in the present day, some set in a medieval past, and one in a world that doesn't really exist at all. All the stories are wonderfully written but if I had to choose a favourite ...more
Jill
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
All of these stories were 5 stars, so the rating was a no-brainer. It's amazing how this author can make me care so deeply about a character after only a few paragraphs!

Each tale was compelling and atmospheric and I'd read a full-length book for any of them. Luckily, my favorite story in this collection (The Crown of Rowan) is a prequel to a new Kim Wilkins novel/series called Daughters of the Storm, so I'll get my wish! I had to order DOTS directly from the press in Australia, but it was well
Helen
Mar 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Highly recommended. A wonderful collection of novellas by Kim Wilkins. This book reminded me just how good the fantasy genre can be! The well-written stories featuring complex female protagonists are such a delight to dip in to. “The Lark and the River” is especially moving. I also adored “The Year of Ancient Ghosts”, which reawakened an old desire to travel to the Orkneys. I shall definitely be seeking out more work by this author.
Cynthia
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Kim is such a talent. She takes me to places in the past and in her imagination with such clarity and spine chillingness. I drunk this book up almost in one sitting. Thanks for writing it and thanks to Ticonderoga for publishing. Go Russell :)
Jennie Keech
Jul 13, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm not real big on short stories, but these were well-written if not a bit rushed.
Charlotte Nash
May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. Magical, visceral; heartening and heartbreaking at once. The Lark and the River deserves special mention. Highly recommended.
Natasha
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As always amazing work by Kim, I was thrilled to read a collection of her short stories.
Karen Brooks
Oct 29, 2017
Nikita
Mar 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

• Dark Tide (Waterfire Saga, #3)
  • Rogue Wave (Waterfire Saga, #2)
  • The Forty Rules of Love
  • The Bone Season (The Bone Season, #1)
  • The Priory of the Orange Tree
  • Runebinder (The Runebinder Chronicles, #1)
  • The Forest City Killer: A Serial Murderer, a Cold-Case Sleuth, and a Search for Justice
  • Into the Darkness: The Mysterious Death of Phoebe Handsjuk
  • Smashed Avocado
  • The No Spend Year: How I spent less and lived more
  • The Killing Fog (The Grave Kingdom, #1)
  • Rumi’s Four Essential Practices: Ecstatic Body, Awakened Soul
  • The Uninhabitable Earth: Life After Warming
  • The Queen's Bargain (The Black Jewels #10)
  • Unplugged: The Essential Digital Detox Plan