Start by marking “The Anti-Chomsky Reader” as Want to Read:
The Anti-Chomsky Reader

Peter Collier

The Anti-Chomsky Reader

3.24  ·  Rating details ·  90 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Beginning with his criticism of the Vietnam War in the 1960s, MIT professor Noam Chomsky has become better known for his radical politics than for his theories of language. These essays scrutinize both the theories and the politics: linguists Paul Postal and Robert Levine reevaluate Chomsky's linguistics to find parallels with his politics; scholar Paul Bogdanor explores C ...more
ebook
Published October 1st 2004 by Joyous Publishing (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Anti-Chomsky Reader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Anti-Chomsky Reader

sologdin
One needn't agree with Chomsky in order to find that this volume relies primarily on strawpersons, red herrings, argumentum ad hominem, and other irrationalisms. In addition to being scurrilous and manifestly erroneous, for instance, the suggestion that Chomsky is anti-semitic and supportive of any dictator just because the US dislikes same does not make Chomsky's arguments wrong.

Such accusations indicate an inability to read. A similar reading comprehension problem arises in what may be the si
David
Jan 07, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-worst
Calling someone Anti-American is not a counter argument, even if you keep repeating yourself for the entirety of your book.
Michael Connolly
Overview:

The main assertion of this book of edited chapters is that Noam Chomsky does not deserve his fame and reputation as a prominent American public intellectual. Most of the authors are on the political Right, but their main criticism of Chomsky is not that he is a Leftist, but rather that he is such a flagrant liar. His most famous lie is his denial that the Khmer Rouge committed genocide in Cambodia.

Linguistics:

Noam Chomsky started off in linguistics. He made two major contributions to l
Kym Robinson
Let me begin by saying that I have never found Chomsky to be deserving of his accolades and credibility as he blares in his ironically Kissenger sounding voice on all facets of the World. It seems that he has well and truly stepped outside of his initial area of expertise, linguistics and grants an opinion, a well heard opinion on most areas but most especially he is revered for his political and International opinions. Most of those opinions being often inconsistent and contrarian to the offici ...more
Jeff Raymond
Closer to a 2.5, this is a series of essays attacking many of the positions and claims of Noam Chomsky. Part of me enjoyed it just to get a flavor for some of the arguments against him, another part was shocked as to how many people actually adopt Chomsky's arguments, consciously or otherwise, in the discussions I've had over the years.

With that said, the book is flawed. I would have liked more consistent sourcing, I would have preferred a more sober, less polemical treatment (it's published in
Heather
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've made several attempts to slog through Chomsky's political ravings, but his obvious hatred of the U.S. and Israel drives away my interest in what he has to say. This book supports many of my independently formed opinions of his anti-American agenda. I believe that we should always remain skeptical of every "expert" and this includes the contributors to this work. I liked the book because it supported what I'd already seen, but I'm always willing to keep an open mind. No person is always righ ...more
Louis Lapides
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must read for anyone who takes the rhetoric of the ultra Left seriously. Chomsky is a force to be reckoned with, but this book demonstrates how biased he is as a poor historian and a poor excuse of a political analyst.

Chomsky is truly off the political chart on the extreme left lunatic fringe.

Recommend this book to anyone enamored with ultra left thinking. The book will give them much to think about and reconsider or deconstruct about their own beliefs.
Clayton
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Where the hell was this book when I was 19!?! Would have saved me a lot of trouble.

Broken down into a handful of sections, the authors do a good job of breaking down Chomsky's most influential pieces and showcasing the techniques used to misinform his readers. From his support of the Khmer Rouge to his ties to and collaboration with neo-nazi groups, the authors present a metric shit-load of evidence to discredit nearly everything the guy has stood for over his career.
Andre Davcev
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As Christopher Hitchens said in his later years between his differences with Noam Chomsky that Chomsky "did not finally think that the United States of America was a good idea. He thought it had been all genocides since Columbus basically. And that's not simplifying his opinion by very much."

There was a time when Chomsky held some sway over my opinions. The way he presented facts with such conviction and "matter of fact" speech, it made it hard not to believe him. And as with all extreme positio
Francesco Beroldo
I haven't read this book yet, and it doesn't seem to be a good read; whilst I wait to get it and go through it I quote a review with a seemingly objective point of view by an Amazon reader, who gave the book a lukewarm three star rating; it does partly agree with my point of view on N. Chomsky.

There is much to criticise in this book but many of the reviews by Chomsky's supporters are as duplicitous as the man himself. His obsessions with Israel go beyond discussions of anti-Semitism: they
Zahra Sajedinia
One of the main critics to Chomsky that was mentioned in the book was Chomsky's citations to his own work, I don't see anything wrong with that when someone begin the fundamental ideas in a topic.
The critics about Chomsky's ideas and explanations on socialist Vietnam (after war) was acceptable to me.
I don't agree with the writer when it compared US and china regarding doing evil things. I think it is irrelevant to count the people who are sentenced to death as a measure of evilness.
I think, the
Matti Paasio
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Chomsky, Language, World War II and Me," the last essay in the book, written by John Williamson, is by far the best. It's personal, it's funny, it's true. My five stars go to Williamson for the achievement; the rest of the team, for the effort.
Joe Donohue
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anarchy
The best antidote to infatuation with an intellectual is to examine his ideas closely. His incoherence will betray him.
Risshuu
Oct 28, 2012
Mnfruit
Feb 11, 2008
« previous 1 3 next »
Founder of Encounter Books in California, Collier was head publisher from 1998-05. He cofounded the Center for the Study of Popular Culture with David Horowitz. He does many projects with this red diaper baby turned rightwing zionist. He publishes on his website FrontpageMagazine. He was also coorganizer of 2nd Thoughts conferences for leftists who'd moved right.

Librarian Note: There is more than
More about Peter Collier...