Start by marking “Tiger Flowers” as Want to Read:
Tiger Flowers

Tiger Flowers

3.35  ·  Rating details ·  17 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Joel adores his uncle Michael. Together they build a tree house and root their favourite teams at baseball games. Then Michael comes to live with Joel's family because he has AIDS, and they grow even closer. When Michael dies, Joel is heartsick - until he learns to find comfort in the wonderful memories of his beloved uncle.

Janet Wilson's evocative and memorable painting h
Published September 26th 2005 by Fitzhenry & Whiteside (first published May 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Tiger Flowers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tiger Flowers

Maddy Gebhardt
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: controversial
"Tiger Flowers" by Patricia Quinlan is a story which takes and unexpected turn and teaches the readers how to cope with heartbreak. The main character in the story, Joel, is a young boy who adores his uncle, who is named Michael. Joe and Michael are very close and spend a lot of time together. Later on in the story, Michael develops a condition called AIDS. Even though Joe is quite young to understand the condition his uncle suffers from, he automatically becomes closer when Michael moves in wit ...more
Edward Creter
This book won me over at a time when I could use inspiration in my own life, what with all the bs from my church proclaiming that AIDS was God's judgment on us as human beings who sin. I never caught onto that message, and I have no need to, and this book has helped. A small boy deals with the death of his beloved Uncle, a humble homosexual (the book doesn't say so, nor does it need to) and afflicted with the AIDS virus, yet full of life to the very end, and still loving his nephew even as he wa ...more
Alice
Jan 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was written in 1994 when AIDS was a death sentence. Now with medication people can still live good long lives.

At first, I thought this book was just about dealing with the death of a loved one. It didn't originally say what Uncle Michael died from. I ws thinking cancer or a car accident.

Then as the book goes on and eludes to Uncle Micheal's 'friend' Peter who died first of a disease called AIDS. Then Uncle Michael got sick with the same disease Peter had.

It does talk about how you ca
Ashley Enlow
I would not have this as a book in my classroom. Mostly because AIDS are a touchy subject in some homes and at a young age I do not think they need to be learning that from their teachers. However if a parent asked about a book for this reason this is the only one I know at the moment but would continue to do research.
Major
Jun 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: children learning about diseases.
Joel loves his Uncle Michael. They plant a garden, go to baseball games, and build a treehouse together. When Michael gets sick with AIDS, he goes to live with Joel's family. When Michael dies, Joel is very lonely. He finds comfort in the flowers that they planted together.
Chelsea Kimmey
I would not recommend this to children of younger ages due to the topic. The topic of aids is sensitive in some households
Hope Gunther
Apr 08, 2015
Althea And
Mar 02, 2013
Erica
rated it did not like it
Oct 21, 2010