Start by marking “Resurrection” as Want to Read:

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  2,499 Ratings  ·  194 Reviews
Five thousand years ago, the Kinley built a ship capable of traveling faster than light. It carried a group of scientists to a small, distant planet - a primitive place called Earth. Its mission was peaceful observation. But when the ship was destroyed, the Kinley crew found themselves stranded in ancient Egypt, participants in the pageant of life in the time of the Pharao ...more
Published June 1st 2001 by Roc

To ask other readers questions about Resurrection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Resurrection

Sara Meehan
Feb 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
It's a rare combination: sci-fi meets Egyptology.

"Resurrection" starts by introducing its heroine, Pruit Pax, as she awakens from a form of hibernation. She and her partner, Niks, are on a years-long journey from their home planet, Herrod, to Earth in search of the remains of a former expedition. Their race - humans, same as you and I - is at war with a race of true aliens, and Pruit has to find technology from that previous group of explorers so her people (the Kinley) can survive. Her arrival
Kat Shriver
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This story will earn and keep your attention: One thing that annoys me about some authors is how they drone on about peripheral, irrelevant details that have nothing to do with the story. With such authors you have this vague sense that they're just showing off -- "Oh, look at how many adjectives I know! Look how I just made a cool metaphor!" and you're tempted to skip ahead but you're not sure if you might be missing something important. Not this author! There are beautiful metaphors and engagi ...more
Dan
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
Deeply subpar. I picked up this book on a whim, having found it on the top-rated in SF list on Amazon. If I had glanced at the full spectrum of reviews and ratings, I would have avoided it and saved some time.

The prose is the most obvious issue. Dayton is simply not a particularly proficient writer. If she has a love of the language - and it is not clear from this novel that she does - that love does not translate into any actual talent.

Characterization is by and large also very flawed, although
John Bechill
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cold picked this book and was quiet surprised. I liked the descriptions of the two protagonists. She made them very alien and very alien to each other. The way they live and understand the world conflicts at a fundamental level. She sets up a really interesting point of view conflict. Since neither party is inherently evil, she makes you feel empathetic to both parties.

The descriptions of how she envisions future technology is creative. I always enjoy writers who have interesting takes on how t
Graham Storrs
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
This was shaping up to be a pretty good sci-fi novel - until it turned into a fantasy novel with a really disappointing ending. The premise - an alien visit to Earth many years ago is the key to saving one alien faction in a modern-day war many light-years away - was interesting, and the writing was solid. Sadly, the whole plot ended up hingeing on a magical, telepathic mind-meld and it turns out reincarnation is real - blowing away all credibility as a sci-fi story and leaving me shaking my hea ...more
Nathan Douglas
Feb 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Good. Not as good as sausage and cheese. Felt a bit amateurish, like the author had to spell out what people were feeling instead of letting the story and characters speak for themselves.
T
Another great "read and listen for free" book. Love this narrator, and especially loved the story of how these people influenced ancient Egypt. Well, fictionally at least, but I've always had my suspicions... ;)
Rebecca (agirlirlblog, bekkilyn)
While I was admittedly dubious about reading a book by an author named Arwen, the book still sounded interesting and had an intriguing cover. Also, I was delighted to find it was a standalone novel and not part of a series, so I ignored the author's name and checked the book out as my Kindle Prime lending library choice for this month.

What was especially fun about this book is that it combined science fiction with all the trappings of "aliens" (though some are human) and space travel, with event
Lee Browman
Feb 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I forget how I got recommend this book (maybe Goodreads?), but after some hard core classics, felt it was time to have some mental candy floss, and enjoy some pulp sci-fi.

The basic story of this book was very good, and the way that it fed back into Earth's history was nice. In many ways the history part was used like Dan Brown - take factoids that you can not dispute, but then wrap a story around them, that you know is wrong, but cannot put your finger on where it is wrong.

Never the less, it was
Justin
Nov 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I got this book on a whim. It was recommended by amazon.com due to something I purchased and/or put into my wishlist. I went into it thinking if nothing else it was cheap and I like Sci-Fi, and Ancient Egyptian myth. I was pleasantly surprised. In fact, I quite like the story.

It follows three civilizations:

The Kinley: Who are on the brink of annihilation. They were nuclear attacked by another world and are about to be attacked again. They have a technology heavily based in biology as they do not
Nina Bradley
Jun 14, 2012 rated it liked it
I did think the writing in Resurrection was amateurish and didn't flow smoothly. Ordinarily that would completely turn me off to a book, but I actually enjoyed this story quite a lot. I have a difficult time with sci-fi that introduces entire new species and cultures without having a frame of reference to place them in, so having much of the action occur on Earth kept me interested. Although I am not an "ancient alien" believer, I did enjoy the way the author incorporated some of those myths int ...more
Thomas Heath
Sep 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing

If you're at all familiar with the work on an ancient Egypt by John Anthony West, you're likely to enjoy this work of speculative fiction as much as I did.

Present-tense science fiction like you'll find in Ressurection seems like a greater writing challenge than futuristic, far-out fare such as Dune or Star Wars, but I'd put this title in that league. I enjoyed the characters and their relationships, and the believable technologies from other worlds kept the story rolling along without feeling
Mike J
Sep 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book has some great concepts woven into a strong sci-fi plot. But, unfortunately, the book is largely plot driven - and the writing doesn't move very fast. Slow pacing in a plot driven book can become maddeningly boring... In a great book, the challenge is always to put it down long enough to get anything else done. With Resurrection, the challenge was remembering to get back to it.

This was a disappointment, especially since the story held so much potential. And then the reviews only built
Tony Kelly
Sep 03, 2015 rated it did not like it
Such a good premise, and so poorly done. It took half the book to even get the story started. The only character I connected with was Jean-Claude, a relatively minor character. The first death is kind of a reverse of Chekhov's gun - instead of setting something up as deadly, the character just died followed by an "Oh yeah, did I mention that might be deadly?" Same thing with the villain, who seemed to be added as an afterthought. All that being said, I was leaning toward upping this to two stars ...more
Matt
Feb 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
Read this only because it was the #2 downloaded Kindle novel that week, and it was 99 cents. While it had a decent idea for a story, it wasn't all that good. The characters were dull and forgettable. There was a decent tie in to ancient Egyptian culture with the original Kinley expedition, but while it made sense, it was boring.

The ending was extremely predictable and lacked any real dramatic resolution. Everything just falls into place.

3/5 because I am feeling generous today
David Rasner
Mar 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Resurrection

by Arwen Elys Dayton (Goodreads Author)

3.43 · rating details · 100 ratings · 28 reviews

2600 B.C....The first ship built by the Kinley race capable of travelling faster than the speed of light, the Champion is sent to explore a tiny blue planet called Earth. But the Champion's first mission would also be its last....

Present Day...The Kinley race is nearly extinct, wiped out by a warlike race called the Lucien. Their only hope for survival lies in the technolo...
Daniel
Dec 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a science fiction tale that brings an interplanetary conflict onto Earth's doorstep--circa 2600 BC. I liked how author Dayton connected alien doings with early human history, and how she brought this conflict into the present day. If she publishes more fiction--especially space opera--I will read it.
Rob
Mar 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one. The author did an excellent job of character development, plotting and maintaining and escalation of conflict that keeps the reader wanting more right to the very end. A few editing errors were found, but for an independently published book, it was very well done. Definitely recommended.
David
Mar 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun to read. A kinda-pulpy sci fi novel (which is always a good thing). Though I don't believe in Ancient Aliens I really enjoy books about them, it seems. :-) And I'm a sucker for most anything set in ancient Egypt.
Debbi
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed the beginning of this book. The ending fell flat: too neatly wrapped up and a bit forced. Some bits of the storyline were never well explained. I just wish there was a bit more to the whole book!
Jamie Marvin
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book has a great flow to it. I thoroughly enjoyed Dayton's theory of past lives and how the Egyptian pyramids were constructed from an alien survey team. I actually sort of believe her theories might be more fact than fiction. Great Sci-Fi!!
Mike Farrell
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A refreshingly original story

A nice combination of alien interaction with ancient Earth and the impact over 5,000 years.

A vicious war between 2 worlds 8 light years from earth has both worlds sending missions to earth to recover the technology for faster than light speed space travel.

About 5,000 years ago, an exploratory mission to earth using this faster than light speed technology lost their ship in an earthquake and were never able to return home. Intermingling with the inhabitants of ancie
Greg Todd
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Sometimes after reading only a couple chapters I can't go any further. This is one of those books.

Pruit is speaking to her younger brother Makus after he has been selected to become one of the Sentinel. Nonsensical exchanges such as the one below annoy me so much I can't read any more. She "forgets" what seems to be a basic Law in their society. Really? Page filler nonsense!

Makus was silent, and a sudden thought occurred to Pruit. She turned to him. “Makus, have you ever been outside?”

He shook
Payal
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
As a space saga, the use of technology and available resources were well varied. I loved that it didn't include MINING in any shape or form. So hurray for that. However, there was little variation in the human customs and the characters were rather flat and entirely undeserving of any emotional investment. I did like the ultimate misunderstanding by Lucian and Kinley that had perpetuated and kept them at war - seems much more plausible.
*StarrERauliuk
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
??? What is humanity outlook for the future???

I am not a true SIFY Fan. But, personally believe there are many other planets out there. Will our world as we know it open to this or fight to destroy our chances to teach and share with others. The May look different but Kai fain the same goals with means to go forward. I liked the book. If we have open our minds, the whole galaxy is our oyster. We learn much and teach, what, we know. 4 thumbs up😊

Dorianne Emmerton
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Resurrection involves aliens, space war, ancient egypt, intrigue, incredible hubris, and a mysticism reminiscent of Buddhism. It's fast-paced and action-packed, yet chock full of compassion for the failings and foibles of all people, whether human or more bug-like.
Melissa
Flat, That is the word that keeps coming to mind about this book. The characters are all very one dimensional and flat, the story telling is all very predictable and flat. It showed some promise and then falls flat. It is a very slow paced book and not a lot of depth in it.
Jen Voszler
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Overall decent but left me wanting more. I think the author could've written more about the technology and explored that in greater depth and detail. Also, I didn't dislike the ending but it felt a bit rushed and wrapped up a little too neatly and nicely.
Jess
Jul 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
I technically did not finish this book, and can not finish it. Had to push myself to get even half way through and cant do it anymore. I had such high hopes for this book. Horrible, horrible.
richard D Dougherty

Don't you just love it when you find a new author as good as arwen. I am looking for more of her work.. Would even make a great movie
  • Damocles
  • MetaGame
  • Against the Light
  • Nosferatu (Area 51, #8)
  • The Three Little Aliens and the Big Bad Robot
  • Reach for Tomorrow
  • Nine-Tenths
  • Ice Age
  • London: The Autobiography
  • Whatever Gods May Be
  • Stars Rain Down (Biotech Legacy, #1)
  • Shakespeare on Toast: Getting a Taste for the Bard
  • Far Orbit: Speculative Space Adventures
  • The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda, #1)
  • The Wednesdays
  • Towards Yesterday
  • Déjà Vu (Saskia Brandt #1)
  • Seas of Venus (Seas of Venus, #1-2)
Arwen Elys Dayton is hard at work on the SEEKER series, a grand YA story for Random House.

Arwen began her career as a teenage staff writer at a foundation that produced Peabody Award-winning educational shows for PBS. Soon afterward, she began writing screenplays and novels, including Sovereign’s Hold and Resurrection, the #1 Amazon bestseller in Sci-Fi in both the US and the UK.

She spends months
More about Arwen Elys Dayton

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Paradise Lost (The Vampire Diaries; Evensong, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • The Song of Achilles
    $11.74 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Black Tuesday (Time Patrol)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Warrior's Revenge
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • The Elven
  • Children of the New World
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
  • The Graveyard Book, Volume 1
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Hunt (Disrupted Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Quantum Thief (The Jean le Flambeur Series, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Country of Ice Cream Star
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Down Among the Sticks and Bones (Wayward Children, #2)
  • The Cottingley Secret
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Blood Gamble (Disrupted Magic, #2)
  • The Curiosity
  • Virtual Light
    $7.99 $1.99
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
“Yea for we are the conquerors And all that is lies before us A black domain of stars And we the brightest lights within it” 4 likes
“hibernation. Their usual stint was a single day or less, but five-days” 1 likes