Start by marking “The cat in the hat” as Want to Read:
The cat in the hat

The cat in the hat (Beginner Books B-1)

4.15  ·  Rating Details ·  316,453 Ratings  ·  4,277 Reviews
This is a "I can read it all by myself Beginner Book.
Unknown Binding, 61 pages
Published 1985 by Random House (first published March 12th 1957)

To ask other readers questions about The cat in the hat, please sign up.

Nataliya
May 02, 2010 Nataliya rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Horror afficionados
This "kids' book" is, in my opinion, a nightmare-quality horror story. Why, you ask? What's scary about a funny-looking cat? *shudder* Well, what's so scary about these cute things?

description
(Well, there actually is nothing scary about that last one. That still doesn't make it any less of a nightmare.)

Sometimes I have nightmares where everything goes wrong, but I am helpless to do anything about it. What's worse, the voice of reason is gone. Well, that pretty much sums up the plot of this book. As a hor
Valerie
Mar 05, 2008 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I like that at the end of this book, when the mother comes home and the text reads:

Should we tell her about it?
Now, what SHOULD we do?
Well...
What would YOU do
If your mother asked YOU?

My daughter always looks up at me and says: I would tell you.

But I don't believe her. I think it's quite possible that the Cat in the Hat has already been here, and she's just telling me what I want to hear.
Alejandro
Without a doubt one of the signature Seuss' books

THE SCHRODINGER'S CAT IS OUT OF THE HAT

He should not be here.

He should not be about,

He should not be here,

When your mother is out,

It was a tale hard to rate,...

...and I imagine how shocked must be for many of you, when you notice my 3-stars' rate.

Three stars?! For The Cat in the Hat?! The very tale that it’s an emblem about Dr. Seuss’ work?!

Well, before calling the Zooks and Yooks to begin a war against me, let me explain my personal s
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
In honor of Dr. Seuss' birthday I post an annual review of one of his works. Normally they fart sunshine and rainbows, but today we're going to spend a minute with the book that makes me want to . . . .

I know this is a classic and it's Seuss and no one is supposed to blaspheme when it comes to his good name, but come on. Two kids who are stupid enough to let a creepy effing CAT in their house only to nearly demolish the place obviously are not mature enough to be left home alone on a rainy day
Whitney Atkinson
I don't remember ever reading Dr. Suess (I'm sure I did, only it was SO long ago), so this just put me in such good spirits! I remember how giddy these made me feel, and the rhyming is just so whimsical, no books can compare to these. I'm collecting all of Dr. Suess's work and this was just such a classic, great place to start. I love the art and the story combined!
Lyn
Aug 01, 2011 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What else can be said of this all time children's classic except that it is as enjoyable to read as an adult?

I have three boys, two grown now, and all three have listened to me read this to them and perhaps there was a while when I could have read it in my sleep (and may have!) If you ever go to Universal Studios theme park in Orlando, check out the Cat in the Hat ride. Good times!

description
James
Aug 07, 2016 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book Review
Everyone's heard of SEUSS (Dr) (I hope). 4 stars to The Cat in the Hat, an adorable children's book full of little amusing pictures and rhymes.

Kids love the absurdity. It's an opportunity for the reader to use different voices... to dress up... to be free and fun and just enjoy reading.

Though it could be used as a way to teach kids about rhymes, as well as what's real and not real... my recommendation with this one is to just HAVE FUN! Act out all the scenes. Make it a fun Saturda
Archit Ojha
Jul 28, 2016 Archit Ojha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks

Ding dong,
I can be a magician.

I can be anything,
But an alsatian.

The illustrations! The uproarious juggles of the feline and the mess that he leaves about.

Though the high-tech gadgets bailed the cat out but Sally and her brother should heed to the wise Goldfish in further editions :D

A total riot for children with working parents and who just manage to not bring the house down - with or without the cat.

PS : I am one such kid.
Stacey is Sassy
Jul 20, 2015 Stacey is Sassy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Loved this one and I passed my love on to my sons. Unfortunately as they got older they enjoyed the movie more.
Willow
Aug 16, 2013 Willow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
****

This book has always given me the impression that Dr. Seuss is a master mischief maker. He has this smarmy Cat barge his way into these poor kid's house (when their mother isn’t home) and then he proceeds to make a colossal mess. It’s all very distressing.

In fact, as a child, I don’t think I found this book amusing at all. It preyed on all my worst fears like being ‘home alone,’ having pushy strangers take control, and scary ‘clown-like’ accessories like monster hats. I much preferred Suess
Anne
Dec 27, 2015 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-kid-in-me
Well what would you do if your mother asked you?

ME WHILE READING THIS

ME AFTER READING

I swear I don't know why this made me laugh so freaking hard. I really don't. I mean the story was funny, the rhyming so fun, but it didn't warrant my hysterical outbursts. But I'm not surprised, I always find myself laughing inappropriately. For example;
MY FRIEND SWEARS THE THINGS RYAN SAYS IN THESE GIFS ARE EITHER CUTE OR HOT. PHILLIPE FROM CRUEL INTENTIONS IS HOT

ME

OH STAHP.

I'm seriously starting to th
Ronyell
Jan 07, 2010 Ronyell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children ages 3 and up
“The Cat in the Hat” was one of Dr. Seuss’ most popular children’s books ever created. The book featured the stove pipe hat feline troublemaker who tries to show two bored kids how to have fun on a rainy day with disastrous results. The Cat in the Hat has forever remained to be one of the most popular figures in children’s literature ever!

Dr. Seuss’ superb rhyming text is as creative as it is funny. He easily finds the perfect rhyming of each word while telling a story through his rhymes. Dr. Se
Sandi
Nov 16, 2008 Sandi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really can't stand this book. It's one of those my son had me read over and over when he was little. Seriously, what kind of mother leaves her young children home alone? Who is this cat? Why is he such a troublemaker? Is it okay that they do all that rotten stuff just because it all gets cleaned up before mom gets home? What kind of trouble will this brother and sister be getting into in their teens. This is a very disturbing book.
WrensReads
WrensReads Review:

When your friend comes over with eight Dr. Seuss books, you read them.

Everyone knows this one, it is probably his best work.

Cat in the Hat. The Cat that comes over, ruins your house, gives your pet fish a heart attack and let's your kids do whatever they want because you aren't home.

Lots of rhymes. Lots of funny. Lots of things that hop like a bunny.. I'm stopping. I am not a Seuss. I wish I was a Seuss. Then I could only talk in rhymes, which would be kind of fun.

WrensReads
Justine Arndt
Sep 25, 2012 Justine Arndt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would recommend The Cat in the Hat to anybody. Dr. Seuss wrote this book like poetry by having the lines rhyme with each other. The story of the book is don't trust strangers; in this case the cat with the hat. The cat brings a box to children at home while their mother is gone, and the cat ends up causing chaos with thing one an thing two. It can teach children a good lesson on how to be responsible when their parents are not around. The pictures in the book make it very enjoyable to read. I ...more
Michael Finocchiaro
At first, with his big French accent, I couldn’t understand my kid asking for “le chat in da at” but I soon deduced it. This story about making a major mess and then cleaning it up before mom gets home is beyond a classic. And still a favorite for my son. I heard there was even a part 2…
AleJandra
Mar 27, 2015 AleJandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kasey-s-books
Nunca he entendido porque este es el libro más popular de Dr. Seuss, si él tiene otros mucho mejores.
Tampoco entiendo porque a los niños les gusta tanto.

Es una historia muy entretenida y divertida. Que ayuda al vocabulario de los niños, por medio de la repetición de palabras y las rimas.

Pero realmente no tiene un mensaje o moraleja.

Inclusive el final me llega a molestar un poco, ya que cierra preguntándole a los niños si ellos le dirían la verdad a su mamá.
Como si no decir la verdad fuera una o
Suzanne
Jan 18, 2017 Suzanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hardcover, indy
This was tongue tying. Too much so! Indy and I haven't read many of these, although he did ask for it off his brother's shelf. I was stumbling over my words, probably to try and get through it quickly.. this cat was too long! Made me feel tired! He's still quite cool of course. Just not for us at this reading stage. We have about ten others though on the shelf, so hopefully we will embrace them a little more.
Traveller
Jan 28, 2014 Traveller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ha, I know that adding this book is cheating. But I just read a very funny review by a friend, which reminded me how much the kids and I enjoyed the movie of this. Even more fun than Horton Hears a Who. The latter is the highest Dr Seuss on my list, though, for its philosophical point of view.

Personally I found the movie-Grinch rather scary. So, folks, if any of you find The Cat in the Hat scary at all, make a wide berth around watching The Grinch. He is sure to give you nightmares.
Michael
Aug 14, 2007 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: all-ages
A treasured memory from childhood, I bought many Dr. Seuss books to read to my children when they were small.
I discovered a surprising thing; I thought that I was well read and a literate adult..., reading these books out aloud requires great concentration and voice control (especially with a critical kid listening). However clever you may think you are, reading these books out aloud will improve your public speaking and help you to win friends and influence people :-)
Go ahead, have some fun and
Katerina
Aug 21, 2016 Katerina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Прочла сыну книжку-классику для начинающих читать; оказалось: что она в стихах, что в ней лимитированное количество слов, что я до сих пор не знаю, как произносится фамилия автора.
Stephen
Aug 15, 2010 Stephen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
3.5 stars. My favorite Dr. Seuss book as a kid. I was very happy to be able to read this out loud with my five year old daughter and have her love it as much as I did.
Lisa
May 06, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Another favorite in my household. :D
Ashley Cooper
Jul 15, 2008 Ashley Cooper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good book. Bit of a complicated plot, but the pictures help.
Hirdesh
Feb 03, 2017 Hirdesh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Lovely pieces of words.
Great sweet flow of poetry.
I felt like I was kid,while reading those Funny rhyme.
Thanks Trinity, I found that in your shelf.
Francois Jabbour
Now the book starts off with a single mother and her two kids. Immediately, we realise the mother is single as there is no mention of a father. Perhaps the father is dead? Maybe they divorced? Either way, that's no excuse for the mother to be running off during a dark and stormy night (the perfect setting for some freaky horror movie) to go out with her gals and get her drink on.

Anyways, the mother leaves the kids alone, at home. We can assume they are both under the age of 10. They have no adul
Stacy
Apr 03, 2017 Stacy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another lovable classic from Dr. Seuss. I am truly glad we don't have Cats in Hats roaming about that can create such havoc!
Eddy Allen
Apr 18, 2012 Eddy Allen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing. The film version really didn't do it justice, as they failed to identify the underlying sociopolitical themes in this work. The "cat" is really Communist Russia, invading the "house" (western civilization) and attempting to impose "fun" (Communism). When the "cat" makes a mess of things, he brings in some complex contraption (the space program? This is open to interpretation) to clean the house up and keep the children happy, while also subtly implying that the children in ...more
A. Dawes
Apr 23, 2016 A. Dawes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Anybody who put me on to the path of reading I cherish and Dr. Seuss was one of those pivotal figures. My dad and mum used to read this and many other Dr. Seuss books to us as kids, and we never grew bored. Dr. Seuss' illustrations are adorable and he really taps in to children's minds. Forget the film though.

In this story, Dick and Sally are bored out of their wits on a rainy day, when The Cat in the Hat suddenly appears and their day becomes complicated, slightly weird, topsy-turvy, but also f
How do we know the Cat wasn't a pedophile in a Cat suit? 58 701 Mar 08, 2017 04:21AM
Around the Year i...: The Cat in the Hat, by Dr. Seuss 1 12 Jan 15, 2017 10:04AM
Children 1 2 Apr 26, 2016 08:57PM
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Truth
  • The Poky Little Puppy (A Little Golden Book)
  • My Friend is Sad (Elephant & Piggie, #2)
  • The Very Quiet Cricket
  • But Not the Hippopotamus
  • I Have to Go!
  • Put Me in the Zoo
  • Frog and Toad Together (Frog and Toad, #2)
  • The Monster at the End of this Book
  • I Just Forgot (Little Critter)
  • Sheila Rae, the Brave
More about Dr. Seuss...

Beginner Books (1 - 10 of 31 books)
  • Are You My Mother?
  • A Fish Out of Water
  • Green Eggs and Ham
  • Bennett Cerf's Book of Riddles (Beginner Books)
  • Animal Riddles
  • Maybe You Should Fly a Jet! Maybe You Should Be a Vet!
  • My Book About Me by ME Myself
  • The Cat in the Hat Comes Back
  • A Fly Went by (Beginner Books(R))
  • The Big Jump and Other Stories

“Look at me!
Look at me!
Look at me NOW!
It is fun to have fun
But you have to know how.”
1162 likes
“I know it is wet and the sun is not sunny, but we can have lots of good fun that is funny.” 540 likes