Start by marking “Growing Up in Slavery: Stories of Young Slaves as Told by Themselves” as Want to Read:
Growing Up in Slavery: Stories of Young Slaves as Told by Themselves

Growing Up in Slavery: Stories of Young Slaves as Told by Themselves

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  49 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Ten slaves—all under the age of 19—tell stories of enslavement, brutality, and dreams of freedom in this collection culled from full-length autobiographies. These accounts, selected to help teenagers relate to the horrific experiences of slaves their own age living in the not-so-distant past, include stories of young slaves torn from their mothers and families, suffering f ...more
Published February 1st 2007 by Chicago Review Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Growing Up in Slavery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Growing Up in Slavery

This book was awesome. It is my kind of book mainly because I so enjoy learning of my history and the history of my people. I did learn alot and am very pleased that all of these folk were able to get out of the situation of slavery. We know that many were not as fortunate and died living and knowing the slave life only. So many of the stories impacted me but I guess the one I remember most was the one of the slave girl where here master continue to rape and exploit her. She could do nothing of ...more
Nov 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ramona Rodriguez
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
A collection of true slave narratives. Not a novel... but individual personal vignettes of slave life. Some brutal, some poignant. ALL very sad.
Lori Renee
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Heart wrenching. A very difficult read.
Lia Stewart
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Growing Up In Slavery
Stories of young slaves as told by themselves, edited by: Yuyal Taylor

So we’ve always had a good idea of what slavery was like but we don’t truly understand until they are told to us by slaves themselves and this is what this book does. This book shares all the stories of how slaves were truly treated, their lifestyle, how cruel and inhumane people were, it truly touched my heart and made me wonder how a person could treat someone so cruelly.
I really liked the book because
Nov 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teachers
Shelves: history
I purchased this for my 7th grade US History class. This collection of primary source materials is an indispensible resource for teaching about slavery. Students learn about other young people (like themselves) who endured great hardship as a domestic or field slaves. Both genders are represented. IF you are not interested in reading the longer story, Frederick Douglass' story is told through 36 pages of exerpts.
Sep 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Some great but tragic stories about the horrors on slavery. I am using the stories for my social studies classes. They are just as moved and horrified as any caring person would be at the events we were so embarressingly a part of. These are great primary sources for students too.
Karen Okamoto
Jun 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
The introduction to this book was rather slow, ...but the true stories of slavery told by the slaves themselves was interesting, and enlightening. How cruel slavery was, and how courageous the human spirit was under such horrific conditions. Worth reading.
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am somewhat speechless with this book. Hearing the voices of those who lived through the ordeal of their bondage, made you actually feel it as you read this book. It bring to life the true struggle, in which people suffered.
Mar 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, excellent, excellent!! It showcases the horrors of slavery, but focuses on the triumphs of individuals and on overcoming adversity. The book is comprised of stories (narratives) as written by the slaves themselves. READ THIS BOOK! This book is edited by Yuval Taylor.
Cheyenne Christensen
I really liked this book because it has REAL experiences of slaves. There are several slaves who wrote stories. Their experiences are each so different and so similar at the same time. I recomend this book for anyone! It is touching and i learned alot by reading it.
Oct 04, 2012 rated it did not like it
Ok book, I just couldn't get through it and gave it away.
Feb 27, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Northwestern by: Whole class
- This book was brutal.
- It gives you images of how slavery was.
-The graphic scenes were shown in both pictures and words.
-It was interesting
Feb 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Received for helping at Friends of Lawrence Library Book Sale / very engaging book.
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Excellent book and love every minute of reading it. Every black person should read this book, make you be a bit thankful of the opportunity we have now.
Aug 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Very good book also sad there where moments in this book that made me mad enough to cry but I really learned alot.
Feb 05, 2015
Angela Edwards
Jul 17, 2014
Aug 01, 2015
Dec 29, 2016
Yuval Taylor, whose books include Faking It, I Was Born a Slave, The Cartoon Music Book, and The Future of Jazz, lives in Chicago.
More about Yuval Taylor...