Start by marking “Breaking the Chains of Psychological Slavery” as Want to Read:
Breaking the Chains of Psychological Slavery

Breaking the Chains of Psychological Slavery

4.44  ·  Rating details ·  264 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
In this long-awaited, important and highly readable book, Dr. Na'im Akbar addresses these questions:

" Are African-Americans still slaves ?" "Why can't Black folks get together ?" "What is the psychological consequences for Blacks and Whites of picturing God as a Caucasian ?"

Learn how to break the chains of your mental slavery with this new book by one of the world's outsta
Published August 1st 1996 by Mind Productions & Associates (first published June 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Breaking the Chains of Psychological Slavery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breaking the Chains of Psychological Slavery

Ngozi
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
amazing. opened my eyes. EVERY black person should read this! you will most likely remained mentally enslaved if you don't.

Dayna
Aug 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Again, during my stockholm syndrome phase. I also enjoy thinking about how individual psychology is passed on intergenerationally and how that affects the society as a whole, and vice versa. FASCINATED.
Chris Boyer
Aug 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a weapon that the devil doesn't want our children to read
Andrea
Jun 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Profound perspective on modern day assumptions.
Kev
Mar 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
powerful
Yvon Numa
one of the greatest books I have read recently on pan-africanism. these concepts are not new but yet they are articulated well that when reading it begins to start a shared epiphany. Breaking the chains is not a manual to start doing so but yet a catalyst to start to understand the african american plight in america and/or beyond.
Sherreka Burton
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, my-people
All my people need to read this. He said some thing I couldn't hang with, like Bill Cosby being a great mind or some ish like that o_O, but overall, it was very informative. This Stockholm syndrome over my people is too strong. We must break free!!
Karen
Dec 16, 2016 marked it as to-read
* Understanding Oppression: African American Rights (Then and Now)

perez carlos
Dec 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
very good read really open my mind to or should say change the way i saw not only myself but the world around me

Debi Ferguson
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Truly an eye opener. I've read this book twice.
James Hall
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Penetrating explanation of the historical/psychological factors handed down from generation to generation and formulated and instilled by white supremacy.
Baba Lawrence
Oct 22, 2014
Luana Kay
rated it it was ok
Aug 05, 2013
Goodreads Librari...: Title is misspelled - needs correction 2 141 Jul 21, 2012 10:46AM
  • The Philosophy and Opinions of Marcus Garvey, Or, Africa for the Africans
  • Blueprint for Black Power: A Moral, Political, and Economic Imperative for the Twenty-First Century
  • Yurugu: An African-centered Critique of European Cultural Thought and Behavior
  • PowerNomics : The National Plan to Empower Black America
  • Brainwashed: Challenging the Myth of Black Inferiority
  • The End of White World Supremacy: Four Speeches By Malcolm X
  • The Isis Papers: The Keys to the Colors
  • Debating Race: with Michael Eric Dyson
  • Countering the Conspiracy to Destroy Black Boys
  • The Black Panthers Speak
  • Destruction of Black Civilization: Great Issues of a Race From 4500 B.C. To 2000 A.D.
  • Rock My Soul: Black People and Self-Esteem
  • Body and Soul: The Black Panther Party and the Fight Against Medical Discrimination
  • Forty Million Dollar Slaves: The Rise, Fall, and Redemption of the Black Athlete
  • Black Against Empire: The History and Politics of the Black Panther Party
  • The Conspiracy to Destroy Black Women
  • How Capitalism Underdeveloped Black America: Problems in Race, Political Economy, and Society
  • Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome: America's Legacy of Enduring Injury and Healing
Dr. Na'im Akbar has been acclaimed by Essence Magazine as "one of the world's preeminent Psychologists and a pioneer in the development of an African-centered approach in modern psychology." Akbar has served as Associate Professor at Norfolk State University, was Chairman of the Morehouse College Psychology Department and is currently on the faculty in the Department of Psychology at Florida State ...more
More about Na'im Akbar

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
  • Seabiscuit: An American Legend
  • Creating Magic: 10 Common Sense Leadership Strategies from a Life at Disney
  • The Power Of Habit: Why We Do What We Do In Life And Business
    $12.99 $2.99
“The implication of this is that the mind’s possibilities are limited by its concept of its potential.” 21 likes
“Human beings are unable to be about the serious business of living and building societies if they feel compelled to always clown or entertain others. People do not take you seriously if you don't take yourself seriously. A sense of humor brings necessary balance to an organized life, but a life of humor blinds one to life.” 20 likes