Start by marking “Until We Sleep (Dragon Age Graphic Novels #3)” as Want to Read:
Until We Sleep (Dragon Age Graphic Novels #3)

Until We Sleep

(Dragon Age Universe)

The lead writer of BioWare's hit Dragon Age games concludes King Alistair's epic quest - in a journey beyond reality itself! Fans around the world have recognized the Dragon Age comics to be an integral addition to the videogame saga. Now, series writer David Gaider pits King Alistair and his noble companions Varric and Isabela against their most nefarious foe - the twiste ...more
Published August 20th 2013 by Dark Horse Books (first published March 27th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Until We Sleep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Until We Sleep

Start your review of Until We Sleep (Dragon Age Graphic Novels #3)
Sean Barrs
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m determined to read more graphic novels this year. Beyond Neil Gaiman’s remarkable Sandman series I barely read any in 2017. There was a time when I used to read one a week every week. Starting with this, I’m going to revive that former tradition of mine. I've got a few interesting bits on the horizon.

Well, anyway, on with Untill We Sleep. The thing I enjoyed most about this series was its use of a different narrator per book; it really kept things lively and entertaining. And Varric, the lo
Wendy
Jul 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-manga, gaming
In the final series of the trilogy, Dragon Age 's King Alistair continues the search for his father Maric, accompanied by the pirate queen Isabela and the storytelling dwarf merchant, Varric. They are aided by the Tevinter mage, Maevaris, as they track down the evil Titus who has captured Maric for the dragon's blood that runs within the Theirin veins.

I love this story. I hate this story.

There are so many secrets revealed, ideas introduced and of course the presence of some of my beloved cha
Natalie
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The power these characters have to break my heart is unfair... Alistair is probably one of the most tormented characters I've ever encountered, but he remains so optimistic that when ANOTHER bad thing happens to him, I feel my heart actually break for a fictional character.
Just incredible...
Megan
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Varric's naked butt almost, but not entirely, made up for the massive amount of lady t+a in this comic series. ...more
Jeffrey
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
End felt really rushed, but I really did like Varric as narrator.
Sara Portela
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

I think this was a good ending to this trio story. And i think it was a great idea to end it with Varric's point of view, seeing his talent for storytelling.

I love how they made this sincerely. And now I understand some events better!

Definitely recommend.
Matt
As I said previously about the Mass Effect comic series, the Dragon Age ones (specifically this final collection) seem to suffer for time. I would have liked to see more story and perhaps less of a trip into the fade. It also made me feel a little sad. I'd read the novels The Stolen Throne and The Calling and felt Maric deserved a better ending. ...more
Emma
Dec 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2016
I liked Until We Sleep but not as much as the earlier installments in the series. Though I love Varric, I didn't enjoy how much of the story is told with his imaginative versions of how events unfolded. When the actual final fight arrived, it felt anti-climactic.

The characters still felt wonderfully authentic to the games, which is something I have really enjoyed about this series. Varric in particular seemed true to character and provided a dose of levity to a dark storyline.

Lexine Higgins
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
They really saved the best 'til last! This was such an emotional ending, and one that gives fans closure on the fate of beloved King Maric. It expands on lore and the history of Thedas, and has some really shocking twists that I really didn't see coming.

I liked seeing more of the Qunari in this one, as we've only had a taster of their way of life and their homeland from previous games, and in the comic previous to this one. I also liked seeing more of Mae, an LGBT+ character seen in the end cre
Nico
Jun 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
I had some mixed feelings about this one, compared to the last two.

Overall, it was a strong ending to the series, I appreciated Varric's point of view. Infact all the characters stayed very true to how they are in the games.
It felt like some parts were rushed a little, maybe that's just the nature of the format, though...?
I got genuine goosebumps at that last page!
It was interesting to finally gain some insight into Varric's past regarding Bianca and I always like seeing Alistair's character d
Monika
Jul 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
I've read this series for a single purpose: to see Alistair and Maric reunion. It was dreadful. Empty. And in ANOTHER dream scene in the Fade Alistair is as out of character as he could possibly be.

The art is nice, but not nice enough that I wouldn't be angry at this atrocity of a "canon story".
Chloe Natasha
As is customary for our plans, things did not go quite as expected.

This was absolutely a fitting end to this arc, and I'm somehow even more in love with Varric, Isabela and Alistair than I was before. This series added some real depth to all three of them — especially Isabela — so I had a lot of fun with this! Mae is wonderful too, I'm glad to see her return.
Gareth
Aug 07, 2019 rated it liked it
The finale of the trilogy, closing out the various threads. Was a satisfying finish, but wasn't as good as the second book, the POV switched again to a less interesting one for me, and the resolution was a little lucky maybe? against the previous books where while fortuitous, seemed driven by the protagonists more than in this one. Still enjoyable read, and did reach a good end result. ...more
Nov 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Enjoyable, but not particularly notable.

Varric makes a great narrator, always. And the setting was interesting. The story progresses and concludes rather quickly, but it still had it's moments (they maybe just didn't have as much weight as they might have with a longer build up).

Also enjoy the characters; they're always the highlight with Dragon Age.
Emily
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
A solid ending to the series. The art was amazing, especially in the Fade. The only negative is that the ending felt rushed again, but I still enjoyed it.

I totally recommend the series to any fans of Dragon Age.
Caroline Torbjørnsdal Engeland
3.75
I liked this a whole lot better than the previous installments of this comic series, probably because it was in Varric's perspective. Gotta love his storytelling ;) and it had less of this awful version of Alistair which still looks like shit.
Dan
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you have played Dragon Age 2, then this series of graphic novels tells a nice story, looks great and feels like a part of the universe.
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
No wonder it seemed like Alistar had his shit together in Inquisition...poor guy.
Darío
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Nicole
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is so heartbreaking, I think I've lost my mind because I'm laughing. I am not having fun but this was some good shit! ...more
Kelly-Anne Rider
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love!
Chase Bouzigard
Jul 27, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a fine Dragon Age graphic novel.
I have no idea if it is cannon or not, but I enjoyed it.
Cara
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. That was amazing! I’m so happy they included a trans character 🖤
Gabrielle Huston
Read as Part of "Volume 1" with comics #1-3 ...more
Bode Cauthon
Feb 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
“Like reality was a reproduction— a cheap portrait of something we’d seen and forgotten.”

Well Varric, you’re not wrong...

“I am.” He said. And it made me weep.

Omg how is this over already?!?!
Marilena
Sep 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic
João  Jorge
Nov 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any DA fan!
“Until We Sleep” is a perfect ending to our heroes quest and an epic adventure full of details about one of Dragon Age's most loved characters, Varric. The comic is narrated by Varric, just like DA2 and its lots of fun seeing how his story embellishes what really happened and in a way, once again, raises the question of just how much of DA2 really happened and how much was Varric's storytelling. Just like the second volume was centered on Isabela, this one is all about the rogue dwarf and answer ...more
machinaheart
WARNING: If you do want Bianca to remain a mystery, then do not read this. Or have someone tell you which pages to avoid, since they're not vital to the story. Not really. I am a bit sad that I know more about Bianca now, because not knowing made her a vessel for all these possibilities. Well, it's done and it wasn't bad, just not as exciting as I would have liked it to be.

Other than that, I liked the conclusion of this story. And yeah, more Mae!!
Since I've been listening to DA:O party banter th
Cale
Dec 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
This finishes the Dragon Age graphic novel series, and it does so very strongly. Alistair's quest reaches its end, and much of the story takes place in the Fade, from Varric's point of view, which makes for a very interesting story. Here more than the other books, Varric's penchant for narrating himself is used, to very good effect. What it says about his feelings toward Isabela is nearly poetic. The conflict and resolution plays out well, and the ending is powerful and poignant. All told, I'd s ...more
Matthew Godlewski
Jan 26, 2014 rated it liked it
The final book in Alistair's journey to find his father Maric is told from the perspective of Varric. This wraps up the story nicely, though there is a lot less action in this one as most of the story takes place in the Fade. Solid ending that wraps up this adventure nicely. The ending remarks by Alistair about Maric and who really needed who when the heroes emerge from the Fade should strike a chord with anyone out there helping take care of elderly parents/grandparents. ...more

• Dragon Age: Magekiller
  • Dragon Age: Knight Errant
  • Dragon Age: Deception
  • Dragon Age: Blue Wraith
  • Last Flight (Dragon Age #5)
  • Dragon Age Volume 1
  • The Masked Empire (Dragon Age, #4)
  • Dragon Age: Tevinter Nights
  • Hard in Hightown
  • The Art of Dragon Age: Inquisition
  • Dragon Age: Blue Wraith #3
  • Dragon Age: Blue Wraith #2
David Gaider lives in Edmonton, Alberta, and has worked for video game developer BioWare since 1999. He is the lead writer on the upcoming Dragon Age: Origins role-playing game and has previously worked on such titles as Baldur’s Gate 2: Shadows of Amn, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, and Neverwinter Nights.

Dragon Age Universe (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Stolen Throne (Dragon Age, #1)
  • The Calling (Dragon Age, #2)
  • Asunder (Dragon Age, #3)
  • The Masked Empire (Dragon Age, #4)
  • The Silent Grove (Dragon Age Graphic Novels #1)
  • Those Who Speak (Dragon Age Graphic Novels #2)
  • Dragon Age: The World of Thedas Volume 1
  • Dragon Age: The World of Thedas Volume 2
  • Sebastian (Dragon Age II Prequels)
  • Paper & Steel (Dragon Age: Inquisiton Prequels)

News & Interviews