Start by marking “The Front Yard Forager: Identifying, Collecting, and Cooking the 30 Most Common Urban Weeds” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  50 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The Front Yard Forager invites all of us to take control of our food by entering into the fun and delicious world of foraging. A concise field guide and recipe book, it showcases the 30 most readily found edible urban weeds. From

dandelion to day lily, nipplewort to nettle, and pineapple weed to purslane there's a salad bowl full of fresh edibles

just waiting to be collected
Published August 1st 2013 by Skipstone Press (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Front Yard Forager, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Front Yard Forager

really liked it 4.00  ·

Bob
Oct 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: urban homesteaders, adventurous foodies

Okay, let me preface this review by admitting that I live deep in the Appalachian wilderness, and am not the urban-homesteader-type that this book was aimed at, which makes it waaay easier to "forage" for the edible flora listed within... Mainly because it's considerably less awkward to go plucking bagfuls of dandelions and nettles in your own yard than it is alongside the highway or in the overgrown vacant lot next to the crackhouse down the street. But I reckon if you're the type of person who
Janie
Jun 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
The author actually eats this stuff. Many authors of edibles books do not. It's one thing to say "you can eat this" or "First Nations used to eat this" and another thing altogether to say "I eat it" or "it's yummy!" The better books are those like this one in which the author says "it tastes like [this] ... I found it [here]".

• I had no idea that horsetail is edible. It's aka "Scouring Brush". I think I'll use it to scour first instead of to eat ... I'm gonna go pick some at my in-laws' :)

• I ha
Ava Gail
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction

Very thorough introduction to the art and science of wild eats. Covers the basics of foraging in a very straightforward, easy-to-understand manner. Photos are clear, instructions are simple enough for newbies and "city-slickers" to follow, and the tidbits of historical and scientific trivia are quite interesting and entertaining. I love the down to earth style of the writing and the easy to read layout of the pages. A very enjoyable read. Would make a great addition to gift-baskets for organic/r
Tina
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great, very descriptive, and clear guide to all the edible plants that are probably sitting right out in your yard, garden, or patio. Photos and recipes of all edibles, including color photos of almost every most common plant in the book. Also has a very clear guide to poisonous plants you'll want to avoid. Most all of these plants will be ones you'll already know quite well and will be like "no WAY! That's edible too?! Can't believe I never knew that."
Josee Philipp
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
First of all thank you to the author and Goodreads for the copy of this wonderful book. Love how educational this book is and certainly appreciated all the great pictures in it.
Justin
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
There aren't too many weeds here (although that should have been obvious from the subtitle which I must not have processed). Weed identification is generally well done, however, there were one or two weeds I wasn't sure if I had. I did learn that dead nettles were edible which is good to know. I also learned that Japanese Knotweed is high in oxalates so I will probably avoid that unless there is an emergency.

I docked one star mostly for the limited scope (it feels like there should be more weeds
Kristina Seleshanko
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is another foraging book I borrowed from the library that I need to buy to have on hand at home. An excellent book that answered many long time questions for me, including "Is honesty (money plant) edible?" "What's this fuzzy plant that resembles dandelion?" and "Is clover safe to eat?" My only criticism is that most of the photos are black and white, which can make identification more difficult.
Caylina
Oct 22, 2013 rated it liked it
First read winner.

This was an interesting and different type of cookbook, obviously. This is a very informative book on where to find what, what it looks like, what to avoid, how to use, etc. It includes a lot of black and white photos of the weeds with a few pages of colored ones in the middle of the book. I really wish ALL of the photos were in color so I knew exactly what I'd be looking for instead of trying to remember the colors or searching for them online, hence the 3 stars since that is
Stephanie
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Picture
As someone who is passionate about growing their own food and environmental education, I appreciate the message of this book very much. The Front Yard Forager is written from the perspective that everyone should know the edible plants around them and that parents should pass this information down to their children; this book aims to be their guide.

The Front Yard Forager features 30 common weeds in the U.S., most of which I am familiar with, some of which I knew were edible and a few that
Devon Thurtle
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book over a year ago, and I'm still having fun with it. The descriptions of edible weeds - and particularly the descriptions of what differentiates edible weeds from their inedible and even poisonous relatives - makes identifying the plants simple. It's a great read as well as a great reference, and a great cookbook.
Jessica
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received this book through a Goodreads First Reads giveaway. Living in Washington state, my yard and nearby parks were filled with weeds in this book. Unfortunately I moved to the southwest desert shortly after and now the book is irrelevant to the area I live. It's small enough I can take it with me when I travel.
Amanda
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Creative - gourmet - informative - amazing! This is an intriguing book that challenges my current mode of thinking and encourages me to be more creative and adventurous. It is such a valuable and interesting resource!

(I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.)
Danielle
Jan 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Come Spring, I will never be able to look at my yard filled with dandelions and day lilies and prairie dock the same way again! And, I'm totally digging up the next Queen Anne's Lace plant I see to see if its roots are really just a skinny carrot. Yep.
Tammy
Sep 16, 2013 rated it liked it
I received this book free through the Goodreads giveaway. I never know the weeds I have been trying to kill in my yard I could have been making salad out of!! Who knew?
Sep 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Won this book in a good reads giveaway. A very interesting and helpful book for anyone into the outdoors.
Mandy
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I kept craving a hearty helping of greens while reading about all the yummy edible in my yard!
Esther Marie
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Rating based primarily on the creative recipes. A good kitchen companion to a more robust foraging book.
Tanya
Sep 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very well illustrated and useful book.
Charmaine
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super great! Melany helped me identify a bunch of edible weeds I have right in my yard! I'll be using this book as a regular reference!
Lola
Wing Yee
Jul 08, 2018
Anne
Aug 17, 2017

• Garden Wisdom and Know-How: Everything You Need to Know to Plant, Grow, and Harvest
  • Backyard Foraging: 65 Familiar Plants You Didn't Know You Could Eat
  • The Permaculture Handbook: Garden Farming for Town and Country
  • Dandelion Hunter: Foraging the Urban Wilderness
  • Scandinavian Comfort Food: Embracing the Art of Hygge
  • The River Cottage Fish Book
  • Edible Wild Plants: A North American Field Guide
  • The Wild & Weedy Apothecary: An A to Z Book of Herbal Concoctions, Recipes & Remedies, Practical Know-How & Food for the Soul
  • Garden Anywhere: How to grow gorgeous container gardens, herb gardens, kitchen gardens, and more, without spending a fortune
  • Edible Wild Plants: Wild Foods from Dirt to Plate
  • The Herbal Handbook for Home and Health: 501 Recipes for Healthy Living, Green Cleaning, and Natural Beauty
  • Movement Matters: Essays on Movement Science, Movement Ecology, and the Nature of Movement
  • Homegrown Herbs: Gardening Techniques, Recipes, and Remedies for Growing and Using 101 Herbs
  • Japanese Hot Pots: Family Style Comfort Foods
  • Apothecary Cocktails: Restorative Drinks from Yesterday and Today
  • The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants
  • Stalking the Wild Asparagus