Start by marking “Why Smart People Hurt: A Guide for the Bright, the Sensitive, and the Creative” as Want to Read:
Why Smart People Hurt: A Guide for the Bright, the Sensitive, and the Creative

Why Smart People Hurt: A Guide for the Bright, the Sensitive, and the Creative

The challenges smart and creative people encounter--from scientific researchers, genius award winners, to bestselling novelists, Broadway actors, high-powered attorneys, and academics--often include anxiety, over-thinking, mania, sadness, and despair.

Specifically, the challenges that smart people face, including:
- "racing brain syndrome"
- living in an anti-intellectual cu
Published September 1st 2013 by Conari Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Why Smart People Hurt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Smart People Hurt

Maria Espadinha
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inteligência - Aliada ou Inimiga?

As vicissitudes da busca incessante de Sentido e algumas sugestões úteis sobre como as ultrapassar!
É algo absurdo ter a inteligência como inimiga ao invés duma aliada e este livro propõe-se desfazer esse absurdo!
Caely
Apr 22, 2014 rated it did not like it
This book felt like bait-and-switch - it quickly becomes clear that the solutions the author proposes are all "natural psychology", a discipline that he doesn't properly introduce or explain. The analysis isn't particularly insightful, the writing is weak, and the emphasis on problems makes the first three-quarters of the book fairly depressing. Not worth the time.
Helen Noble
Jun 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in one sitting. It was like listening to mentor, an old teacher or wise relative who sees the world in the same way. It explained many of my thoughts, feelings and struggles with the world. Yes it talks about mindfulness, along with so many other books these days. However its wording is concise, its structure uncluttered and the message crystal clear. It provokes consideration of issues and explains options.
Essentially the author explains how the meaning we search for in life i
Megan
Feb 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
I honestly didn't finish this so it's very possible my review won't give credit to the second half of the book. I picked up the book because the title was compelling. I was frustrated by the assumptions and implications the book makes about what it means to be smart and what all "the bright, the sensitive, and the creative" people look like. The broad overgeneralizations bothered me. Still I decided to give it a chance.
Eric Maisel has some interesting points and parts of the natural psychology t
Stephen Long
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of those books which is half a sense of irritation and "you're wrong and/or going about this the wrong way" and half "WOW" - in the end, ten times as wonderful as a mediocre to good book you don't really disagree with. a must-read for anyone who hasn't developed ironclad planning and execution skills or come to terms with their own anxiety, inner personality, etc.
Marshall
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book is an underwhelming discussion of the life challenges unique to the smartest 15% of the population.

First of all, it should be mentioned that intelligence is still not very well understood, much less precisely defined. IQ is nice, and gives a sense of someone's intelligence, but it's horribly biased in favor of certain minds and certain cultures. It also completely overlooks emotional awareness, which is more important. Setting up these categories and putting a few people into the "smar
Tony
Sep 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a difficult book to rate or review, not least because I generally have a hate-hate relationship with "self-help" books, and this one pushes too many of my wrong buttons (if it is indeed a book, and not purely a giant informercial for the author's "Natural Psychology").

But ...

It also provided a enough "aha" moments, and insight into some things that have been bugging me for a while, for me to give it a high rating, regardless of its many, many flaws.

The constant refrain of the book is t
Audrey Lentz
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This insightful book was full of revelations and ways of seeing things I've never thought of before. It is incredibly relatable and the author's approaches make so much sense, he makes you wonder how you've never thought of things that way before. Some of his ideas were things I'd always thought and never put Into words and some of his ideas were completely new. I especially loved the way the author addresses anxiety and depression. I'm not against medication in every case, but I've always been ...more
Meckell
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Life-changing. I'd recommend this book to anyone that may at times feel burdened by the way their brain works (applying logic to EVERYTHING, overanalysis of the world around you, intellectual burnout, overwhelm by racing thoughts, etc ). This is more of a workbook and includes several questions to ask yourself in order to gain insight to your own personal experiences. Please know that the author takes a natural psychology approach to this message so it may not be for everyone. I highly recommend ...more
Lynne Spreen
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You don't have to be smart to benefit from (and LOVE) this book! Each chapter explains in simple, often humorous words why people feel unhappy or uncomfortable with their lives or each other. Eric Maisel SEES us. He understands why humans are the way we are, and he has a gentle and compassionate way of explaining us to ourselves, and giving us easy tips for making life easier and happier. I've bought copies for my young adult friends. This is like a guidebook for navigating adulthood! What a joy ...more
Jess Michaels
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2014
This book is one long infomercial for "Natural Psychology", the school of psychology that Maisel subscribes to. The first couple of chapters were really good but then it just became a commercial with very little value as far as strategies to overcome the problems outlined in the book. It was incredibly frustrating to read and difficult to get through.
Daniil Marchenko
A fascinating new perspective on Obsessions, Compulsions, Mania, Depression, and other mental ailments that pester otherwise smart people.
Danine
Apr 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
As a bright, sensitive and creative person I can say that trying to read this book really hurt. I really do want my money back. Guy goes on and on and on about being around smart people then writes a book about it.
Sarah Hyatt
Apr 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: giving-up
What a promising and infuriatingly disappointing book.

Maisel takes a concept worth exploring - the gifted person's intensity of feeling and near-constant existential crisis - and proceeds to gloss over it in a variety of ways while crafting his commercial for "natural psychology" (a term he never fully explains) and his fundamentalist, Jim Bob Duggar-esque brand of atheism. The writing is poor and undeveloped, and the author's views are rarely supported with anything other than his naive assumpt
Kayla Perry
Nov 05, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
I read about three chapters of this book and aside from a few concerns (such as the implication of depression and adhd being cured by finding meaning in one's life) I thought it was alright. Then I got to the fourth and fifth chapter and what had been clearly written suddenly became a clusterfuck of natural psychology terms and the author's own "profound" thoughts. I really enjoyed the chapters which concerned finding meaning in work and why this is a struggle but I just couldn't buy into the re ...more
AJ
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book was pretty awful. I liked the idea but not when the author did things like equating having racing thoughts with being manic, or saying that depression comes from negatively evaluating life. In that case, I will just FOCUS ON THE POSITIVE!!!1 and be totally cured of depression forever. Awesome! Also, saying that racing thoughts = mania is like saying having a tickle in your throat = having pertussis. No. Just no.
Jeannette
Dec 04, 2014 rated it did not like it
The questions at the end of the chapters were okay. The content leading to them was perplexing at best, irrelevant at worst. The title really caught my eye but what was written thereafter was...disappointing and if I dare say, 'stupid'.
Jeannie
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-goal-30
Dense and pithy, but full of useful ideas on using your.smarts wisely.
Martha
I liked the first part, but then it went rapidly downhill.
John
Jan 03, 2014 added it
I liked this book. Usually I find it hard to stick with books of this type as they tend to get tedious and repetitive. This one wasn't like that.
Emma Hadermann
Nov 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Sommige delen waren heel goed, andere delen waren dan weer meh.
Nguyen Luan
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Definitely a good read it for everyone, This book is profoundly insightful. I feel happier in my purpose in life having read this book. I have extracted from the book some paragraphs that I like best in order to introduce this good book to the readers. You can read these interesting quotes prior to making a decision to read the whole book....!

"A smart person has a desire to think"

"Human beings are products of nature"

"Each smart person has his own story to tell."

Thanks and Wish you and your famil
Anna
May 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Good in the sense that it accurately described some real problems, but it had some major flaws that I just couldn't get past. First, the entire books reads like an infomercial for the author's theory of natural psychology. Natural psychology is always the answer.

Also, Maisel sort of randomly throws religion completely under the bus. According to him, religion is a delusion that some smart people fall prey to - much to his dismay. Ironically, Maisel's unwavering faith in natural psychology is jus
Kim
May 26, 2017 rated it liked it
In my opinion, anyone who struggles with life from time to time should read the work of Eric Maisel. This book is good, but more theory based, I would suggest starting with Van Gogh Blues.
Naomi
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
I didn’t enjoy this book. This was my second time trying to finish it. Finally got to the end.
wan vina
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book will open your way in maping your thought and set your goals neatly.. You'll learn to cultivates meaning while you are doing something not expecting it before you aren't even starting...
Kathleen Jones
Sep 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting book on the special problems experienced by smart people (such as racing minds and mania), and practical strategies for dealing with them. Lots of valuable insights concerning the complexities and anxieties of a bright person's mind; I especially enjoyed the discussions about the search for meaning in a world that seems devoid of it. However, I found the author's dismissal of fantasizing as mostly aimless daydreaming to be simple-minded; creative people frequently get some of their b ...more
Kevin Summers
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult
This book's approach to the troubles of the human mind with the practice of "natural psychology" is quite unique and interesting.

By the way, the book is not nearly as snobby about the definition of "smart people" as one might think. Several times in this book, Maisel defines "smart people" as the top fifteen percent, intellectually-speaking, of the population. That figure is generous, in my opinion.

Sample quote: "There are many ways of dealing with the challenges that come with being smart, and
Evelyn Doyle
May 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
A bookomercial for the author's ideology, including a reductive view of mental disorders which could comfortably be toe-tagged 'naive' if it weren't presented in such science-y smart-person words. Was also heavily built on speculations of evolutionary psychology, to the exclusion or disparagement of anyone who doesn't share those speculations.

However, there were parts that resonated as identifiable to the neuro-atypical. Most of it in the first half of the book. Between the ideology pushes, ther
Keitra
Apr 27, 2014 rated it liked it
I feel like this should have been an article and not an entire book. While it has good information and is easy for me to relate to, after the fifth chapter, everything seems to drag on. It gives different disorders and experiences, but the information is basically just reworded for each situation. The first four chapters were very informative and interesting, and I recommend those. After that, I became a bit bored.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Living a Life of Gratitude: Your Journey to Grace, Joy & Healing
  • Why Smart Kids Worry: And What Parents Can Do to Help
  • Mind-Body Workbook for Anger: Effective Tools for Anger Management and Conflict Resolution
  • The Kids' Outdoor Adventure Book: 448 Great Things to Do in Nature Before You Grow Up
  • Sexual Intelligence: What We Really Want from Sex--and How to Get It
  • Freedom from Toxic Relationships: Moving On from the Family, Work, and Relationship Issues That Bring You Down
  • The Psychology Book: From Shamanism to Cutting-Edge Neuroscience, 250 Milestones in the History of Psychology
  • Hothouse Kids: The Dilemma of the Gifted Child
  • The Immortalization Commission: Science and the Strange Quest to Cheat Death
  • Lost and ProFound
  • Unseduced and Unshaken: The Place of Dignity in a Woman's Choices
  • The Elk Hunt: The Adventure Begins (The Adventures of Wilder Good #1)
  • Madhouse: A Tragic Tale of Megalomania and Modern Medicine
  • The Gifted Choice
  • Build Your Dreams: How To Make a Living Doing What You Love
  • I'm Beautiful? Why Can't I See It?: Daily Encouragement to Promote Healthy Eating and Positive Self-Esteem
  • Called: The Crisis and Promise of Following Jesus Today
  • Quiet Kids: Help Your Introverted Child Succeed in an Extroverted World
Eric Maisel, Ph.D., is the author of more than 40 books in the areas of creativity, coaching, mental health, and cultural trends. He is a psychotherapist and creativity coach, and writes for Psychology Today and Professional Artist Magazine and presents workshops internationally.
“Except under dire circumstances or as a day job to support creative endeavors, a smart person is not so likely to want to wait tables, file forms, work on an assembly line, or sell shoes. It isn't that he disparages these lines of work as beneath his dignity; rather, it is that he can see clearly how his days would be experienced as meaningless if he had to spend his time not thinking.” 3 likes
“A smart person is even more likely to suppose that his brain is equal to the challenges he faces, even such frankly impossible ones. What a setup to send your brain racing! And what will it do when, racing, it realizes the magnitude of its challenges and the extent to which they can't be solved just by thinking? It will worry.” 2 likes