Start by marking “Music of the Soul” as Want to Read:
Music of the Soul

Music of the Soul

(Music of the Soul #1)

Mandy Harris, the rock world's bad girl, has lost her sense of self. Turning her back on the music she once loved, she returns to her hometown. After a chance meeting with Anabella, a deaf girl with a unique appreciation for music and life, she finds herself irresistibly drawn to her. Finding love, pain, and a new sense of self. Their passion gives them the strength to hea ...more
Published March 17th 2013 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Music of the Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Music of the Soul

Diana
Jun 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
A book written in first-person narrative will always be only a part of the story for me, so, when I read one I guess I expect it to be more than good, but anyway this book had some heartwarming moments.

I think the majority of my opinions from here on may be a little negative but still there are some things I want to point out.

This story is rushed in a way that makes it hard for you to find it plausible since some parts don't make much sense, also at some points it gets a bit boring, repetitive a
Cab
Feb 08, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: e-books, lgbt, romance
I started out thinking that the premise of the story was interesting and although I found myself rolling my eyes at the dialogue between Mandy and Ana, and Mandy and herself I would have given this a couple of stars for being and ok beach read.

Then I got to the 40% mark of the e-book and it was like whomever was proofreading/editing the book quit. I tend to bleep right past an occasional typo but between the 40% and the 80% mark I found no less than 25 errors. Yes, I counted/highlighted them whi
Serena
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Serena by: Diana
I must say I had high hopes for this one.
The story really appealed to me. The idea of a rock chick falling in love with a sweet, but strong minded girl who is deaf, was a story I thought was worth reading.

Well, first of all my biggest problem with this book is that it’s written from a first person narrative. I must say I had a lot of problems with this style. I couldn’t get into the story, I missed reading about the feelings and thoughts from the other characters.
I mean I was inside of Mandy’
Ch
"We all have scars Bella, some are on the outside, some are on the inside. But they are nothing to be ashmaed of, they simply show that we survived, we persevered the pain and emotion that brought them about. They make us stronger."

There's just some authors whose writing style just clicks with you and pulls you ocean deep, that's how I feel with Erik's works. Second from the MOTS series, and I am not disappointed.

Music of the Soul didn't fail to make my heart stop beating. It's impossible not to
Joan Clark
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Mandy returns to her hometown after taking a break from touring because of a very large secret. Anabella and her family are an unexpected surprise to Mandy that remind her of who she really is and wants to be. Mandy and Anabella are exceptionally three dimensional and their strength is inspiring, particularly Anabella. Mandy disappointed me with the self flagellation and her down spiral, but I see where it was necessary for the story to have the emotional impact it does. The romance between them ...more
Jackie
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, audible
First, I listened to it on audiobook. The narrator, Pamela Lorence, is skilled in telling the story. I have gotten more used to Hollie Jackson as the authors preferred narrator and it is...weird (I'm not like the walking thesaurus, sorry) not hearing Hollie narrate. My favorite part of the audiobook is not having to endure the little punctuation errors. That being said, if you can look over the few errors (I have actually read the book too), the story is worth it.

Second. This is one of my favor
Rachel
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The most obvious thing about this book as you read it is how much fun the author had writing it. I'm sure Mr Schubach was cracking himself up most of the time, and the joy carries through to the reader. The language is very clear and descriptive, making it easy to visualize the scenes. I do need to complain though that I had some trouble putting it down and found myself arguing with the characters as they felt so real to me. My boyfriend actually turned to me several times during a sitting to re ...more
Freya
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This guy had sooooo much fun writing this book and I had at least as much fun reading it! Mandy's inner banters with herself are hilarious. But the true icing on the cake for me were Firefly and Doctor Who references, oh how happy those made the geek in me!
Sally Trotter
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the book that started the Music of the Soul series. I have read every one of them and loved them. However this one stands out from the rest, the legends that are Many Fay Harris and Annabella West.
Anonymous
May 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I read by Erik Schubach and I was hooked since the first word. The dialogue was great and the book flowed. There were moments when I could truly relate and others where I was absorbed into the fantasy of it all. There was also moments when I could totally geek out to the Firefly references. Overall this book is fantastic as well as the other books in the serious, I recommend if you have not read it then by it now because it is definitely worth it.
Kat Giraldo
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ok, so again this books suffers from bad editing, but if you are capable of ignoring that it is actually a damned good book! the first book i read on the music of the soul "series" was dating game, and i loved it, well... Erik hasn't disappointed me so far, his descriptions are awesome, and you gotta love how subtle he is about the connection between all the stories!
Kennedy
I like the premise of the book. The impact that Anabella has on Mandy is uplifting. The story told in the first person caused me to pause every once in a while to determine who was talking. I really liked Anabella's sister and her straight talk.
Ed Ray
Sep 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt-romance, romance
While I found the characters to be much more mature in mannerism than their ages would support, I did find the story heartwarming and very readable.
Carrie Burling
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love this series

I have read this book and the rest of the series multiple times. I love them even more each time I read them.
Lunatic
A very good and heartwarming read. Unfortunately, there are just so many repetitive scenes that I got tired of reading. Such scenes often appeared in the form of "crowd cheering" or the character's feelings about her love interest. Most of all, the two main characters just seemed disconnected.
(view spoiler)
WonderGoon
Nov 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, drama, lesbian
This story was good. Unfortunately, this book suffers some of the same problems as Five Feet or Less. That is, alternate spellings of a charcters name; Tammi instead of Tammy, as is used in every other part of the book.

There are numerous instances where words are repeated, as well.

Mr. Schubach could use an editor, or a proofreader, at least.
Kathryn
May 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathryn by: Listopia- Best F/F Romance Books
I had high hopes for this book but it felt a little flat for me.
Z
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love these books couldn't put them down moment picked them up
Dash Stryker
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a surprisingly delightful quick read. It's written by a straight (apparently) man, so if you've got a political hang-up there, avoid. If you're just worried that such a one couldn't possibly write genuine women, much less lesbians...well it's not so much that he truly 'gets' it, as that he writes in a way that the book doesn't suffer from the absence of that kind of authentic depth of character. It's bubble gum - but it's good bubble gum.

Really, my only complaint is that he seemed to kn
Leigha's Life
Apr 08, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Trigger warning: mentions of self harm and suicide, also talks of being deaf as not "normal"

This was a free book I randomly started on an ebook reading service I have (Scribd) The plot sounded interesting, but I just could not get into the story. It wasn't for me. It felt like a Wattpad story that wasn't edited.

Cheesy, insta love, and I'm a little iffy if this represents the deaf culture in a good way.
(I can't really speak for people who are deaf, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.)
Sockenmaedchen
Oct 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audio, audio-2017, lgbt
So so bad and so much kitsch.
Amanda
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lesbian-fiction
I used my kindle and the lending library to pick up the first three books for free in the Music of the Soul series. I have seen a lot of Erik Shubach fans, and I read a lot of lesbian fiction, so I thought it was time to give him a try. So many positive reviews, and I am really confused. This book had so much potential. I wish more authors would have characters like the ones in this book. Only I would rather them be more realistic. I want better dialogue and less whining. So much of this book an ...more
Joanne
May 06, 2014 rated it liked it
For some reason I really couldn't get into this book as much as I wanted to. The grammatical errors really irked me. I know the author is trying to convey a lot through these characters but they didn't really do it for me. I found myself mainly skimming but I felt that the story line has substance to it. I just wish that an editor could fine tune it and I would've had a more enjoyable read.

Overall, I don't like to cross authors off based on one book but I'm willing to give this author another t
Bitty
Oct 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Maybe I'm too old for this genre,so take my rating with a pinch of salt. All in all, a very sweet story. I found the repetitive internal ramblings / inner voice overs of the main character rather annoying very quickly - the book could have done with less in my opinion. I did find the general PG-13 language and flow of the story very refreshing (in the sense that there was no graphic description of the physical scenes between the 2 main characters).
N. N.
May 03, 2014 rated it did not like it
Based on other reviews, I'm guessing there's actually a good story here, but the poor quality of the writing and the lack of editing put me off before I got very far. As is, this work isn't fit to be published.
Beth Chinnick
Apr 18, 2014
Goodreads Librari...: Missing titles in a series... 3 16 Mar 19, 2014 08:12PM
  • Half to Death
  • Something So Grand
  • Ready or Not (Soho Loft, #3)
  • Every Second Counts
  • The Princess Affair
  • Passion's Bright Fury
  • Rain Falls (Rain Falls, #1)
  • Breaking the Ice
  • Exception to the Rule
  • Winter Jacket (Winter Jacket, #1)
  • An Infatuation
  • Gulf Breeze
  • Suddenly
  • From the Boots Up

Music of the Soul (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • A Deafening Whisper