Start by marking “How to Preach Without Notes” as Want to Read:
How to Preach Without Notes

How to Preach Without Notes

3.36  ·  Rating details ·  77 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
This is a classic that has stood the test of time. For forty-five years, seminary students and pastors have benefited from the principles found in this book. Two of Koller's popular texts, Expository Preaching without Notes and Sermons Preached without Notes, are combined in a single volume that allows preachers to prepare and deliver sermons without being tied to a manusc ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Baker Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about How to Preach Without Notes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Preach Without Notes

Brett
Mar 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ministry
The title is misleading and many of the practices are outdated (i.e. pre-computer). Koller's work here is more of an introduction to sermon preparation in general than preaching without notes - and as a general introduction, there are several other texts that I would recommend to a young preacher before Koller's. Ironically, nearly half of the book consists of sermon texts (not outlines, but full texts!) that Koller preached without notes.
Adam Johnson
Feb 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very clear and easy to read. Has helped and will greatly help in the future of my sermon preparation.
Glyn Williams
Feb 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Not the best book on preaching I have read, but some very good practical advice in here. Not sure if I want to preach without notes though? Don't trust myself that I will include everything I should and may add things I shouldn't. The rest of the advice is pretty good. One or two slight errors in interpretation in his sermon outline examples, but the process he describes is good.

All preachers should refer to this book at least once in their careers.

Another good read in this category is Preach by
Jeff Locke
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not very much here that I wouldn't just figured out intuitively about preaching without notes. There's actually very little about preaching without notes, and a lot about preaching in general. There are far better books about preaching in general this one, such as John Stott's "Between Two Worlds", or Brian Chapell's "Christ Centered Preaching." In the end, the title is misleading; There's only a slight emphasis on preaching without notes, and only a few tips about how to do so.
Timothy Fluegge
Nov 18, 2014 rated it liked it
I generally preach without notes and was pretty stoked about this book. It really doesn't developed the "without notes" idea, and what it does say on the subject is largely common sense. Because of its billing as a "classic" I expected more. It does break down the mechanics of sermon preparation into very practical info and has challenged me to be sharper in my study habits.
Jonathan Mcleod
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
I was disappointed that there were only a couple of chapters about preaching without notes. The title doesn't fit the content of the book.
Milton Moon Louie
All I have to say is you have to prepare, prepare, and prepare. B
Troy Holt
Aug 08, 2012 rated it liked it
This book gave me some new points & insights for sermon prep
Nat
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: religious
Doesn't cover the topic found in the title, really. More like entry-level sermon prep with half the book being example sermons.
Garrett
Aug 30, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not a recommended book. Simple summary: prepare your whole life and trust the Holy Spirit every time you get up and tell people the gospel!
Andy Daniels
Jan 14, 2015
Adam Pace
Aug 26, 2015
Roc Powell
rated it did not like it
Sep 05, 2017
Nov 05, 2015
Ramon P. Reyes
Jan 19, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
“He may not have the eloquence of a ready tongue, but will have that eloquence which is of the heart. His concern in the study will be not merely to prepare sermons, but, even more, to prepare his own heart. And when he preaches it will not be in feeble whispers, but with the spiritual vitality of the prophets and apostles, of whom he is a lineal descendant.” 0 likes