Start by marking “The Multiplier Effect: Tapping the Genius Inside Our Schools” as Want to Read:
The Multiplier Effect: Tapping the Genius Inside Our Schools

The Multiplier Effect: Tapping the Genius Inside Our Schools

When you become a Multiplier, your whole team succeeds!

Why do some leaders double their team's effectiveness, while others seem to drain the energy right out of the room? Using insights gained from more than 100 interviews with school leaders, this book pinpoints the five disciplines that define how Multipliers bring out the best across their schools. By practicing the
Published March 21st 2013 by Corwin Publishers (first published March 8th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Multiplier Effect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Multiplier Effect

Start your review of The Multiplier Effect: Tapping the Genius Inside Our Schools
Moh
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent perspective on what it takes to drive an effective organization

I throughly enjoyed reading the Multipliers book. The book provides a framework that a leader can follow in order to maximize the potential out of his team and organization.
In summary, a multiplier needs to be a) talent recruiter, b) community builder, c) thought provoker, d) investor in their team's talents, and e) high stakes challenger.
I also specifically loved the section around how someone can become an accidental dimi
Lindsey
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Ed Leadership Book

This book encapsulates all of the management principles I strive to have. Whether you are managing students or teachers or both, the guidelines in this book will help you to create a community of learners and contributors to solve problems and harness the power of a community of contributors!
Jeff Anderson
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book helps you see where your actions may compromise the ability of subordinates, or colleagues to succeed.
Scott Kennedy
Jun 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, education
The key idea in this book is that some leaders enhance the intelligence of their staff, and others shut it down. The former are multipliers and the latter diminishers. What is it that causes some leaders to drain intelligence while others amplify it?

There are five key things multipliers do, and behind these five are a couple of key assumptions. Firstly multipliers assume people are smart and that intelligence is dynamic - it is able to change.
1. They tap into people's talents regardless of thei
Beth
Apr 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: business, 2020, nonfiction
I read this book at the recommendation of a boss. The book is okay. Not terrible, but not amazing. It definitely gets you thinking on your interactions with others, especially around decisions that need made in your organization and how you can gain greater consensus with your team by allowing them to make a decision instead of forcing the ideas upon them.

I'm not a teacher, nor do I have a team, so parts of the book didn't apply to me. But, it did get me to think about group meetings I call wher
Margo
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is so enlightening for those of us that are "accidental diminishers" in our area of leadership. The book provides a way of talking and thinking about how we lead others, and how we accidentally snuff out talent in our teams. This book has become one of the pivotal reads in my quest to be a leader in schools. The book is an easy to read format with tons of examples and easy to access charts for reference and summary of chapters. Great appendices in the back with FAQs to use as discussio ...more
Chris Wejr
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it
I like the concept of a multiplier but I struggle with the regular use of polarizing examples - multipliers vs diminishers - as we often end up somewhere in between. I enjoyed reading about how focusing on strengths bring out the best and the examples were fairly relevant in North American schools.
Alicia
Aug 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
A succinct professional title about effective leadership needing to come from recognizing and magnifying the genius in others and exploiting that for effective work in (any) institution.

The directness works, then the recap at the end helps to solidify it though it’s hard to extend any more into the book because the focus is while being necessary is hard to dive deeper in to: don’t be a micromanaging tyrant who squashes people’s ability to contribute and use their genius. Enough said.
Cappy
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: education
This book's central insight - the best management is one that delegates responsibility throughout an organization - is well-taken. But the real value of this book is in the exercises it offers to help a manager put that insight into practice. ...more
Jamie Hayes
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book for anyone wanting to know more about dynamic leadership and how to cultivate leadership within themselves or their organization.
Greg Franklin
Jun 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book on mentoring, and liberating everyone in the organization to meaningfully contribute to the group’s success.
Sally Hanan
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Having never read any of the other multiplier/diminisher books by Wiseman, this was a refreshing read. Wiseman takes the reader into schools which utilized the wisdom of her insight, and the results are quite remarkable. It goes to show that we are all made up of a good mix of skills, personality types, and talents; and when all those parts are put together, honored, and used, a school can only get better.

Each chapter presents a different type of multiplicative method one can use, and while the
Jane
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education, leadership
My biggest quibble with this book is that the people described who aren't "Multipliers"--leaders who tap strengths, build community, develop others, etc.--aren't really leaders at all. And there's no advice for counteracting their destructive behavior. But...this book is great for helping those in positions of influence in schools--administrators, coaches, teacher leaders and consultants--evaluate their own practices, work to improve culture, and inspire others. Great tools and exercises, too, f ...more
Seth
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
Excellent follow-up to Multipliers. As someone who has had a career in education for over 14 years, this book is right on target. If the principles that are not only taught but proven were implemented in our schools, we would see amazing growth at all levels of our education but most importantly, helping to ensure our children receive the education, support and future they deserve. This is a must read.
Karin Foster
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked the ideas in this book, but sometimes I felt that I know these ideas in different formats. I am looking forward to talking about this book with colleagues. I think this book should be read with a group and discussed.
Amy
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is usually not my kind of book, but I did find it interesting. As an administrator beginning the year at a new school site, there were things that I could reflect on and use for the upcoming year with a new staff.
Teacherman
Nov 16, 2014 added it
Shelves: leadership
I don't remember exactly when I finished this one, but the strategies in this book are amazingly effective! ...more
Pam Howell
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. The concepts are clear. The challenge is putting them into practice. The authors give you practical steps to practice and become a Multiplier. The examples are great!
Mary
Jan 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Liked it - I was hoping for more from this after reading the original Multipliers, but felt this was a lot of the same concepts (some re-packaging).
Teresa

• Seven and a Half Lessons About the Brain
  • Digital Leadership: Changing Paradigms for Changing Times
  • Limitless Mind: Learn, Lead, and Live Without Barriers
  • By a Thread
  • Beautiful Questions in the Classroom: Transforming Classrooms Into Cultures of Curiosity and Inquiry
  • Your Body is Your Brain: Leverage Your Somatic Intelligence to Find Purpose, Build Resilience, Deepen Relationships and Lead More Powerfully
  • Refuge
  • Changing on the Job: Developing Leaders for a Complex World
  • Simple Habits for Complex Times: Powerful Practices for Leaders
  • The Hungry Mind: The Origins of Curiosity in Childhood
  • The Gifts of Imperfect Parenting: Raising Children with Courage, Compassion, and Connection
  • Unlocking Leadership Mindtraps: How to Thrive in Complexity
  • A More Beautiful Question: The Power of Inquiry to Spark Breakthrough Ideas
  • The Gardener and the Carpenter: What the New Science of Child Development Tells Us About the Relationship Between Parents and Children
  • Chasing Cupcakes: How One Broke, Fat Girl Transformed Her Life (and How You Can, Too)
  • Dark Horse: Achieving Success Through the Pursuit of Fulfillment
  • The Glittering Hour
  • Doctor Dearest
Liz Wiseman is an American researcher, speaker, executive advisor, and the author of The New York Times bestseller Multipliers

News & Interviews

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more, and become more, you are a leader. John Quincy Adams   I” 0 likes