Start by marking “Daniel's Running Formula” as Want to Read:
Daniel's Running Formula

Daniel's Running Formula

Get in the best shape of your running career with the help of Daniels’ Running Formula, the book that Runner’s World magazine calls the best training book. Premier running coach Jack Daniels provides you with his legendary VDOT formula to guide you through training at exactly the right intensity to run stronger, longer, and faster.

Choose a program to get in shape, target
Paperback, Third Edition, 306 pages
Published December 31st 2013 by Human Kinetics Publishers (first published May 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Daniel's Running Formula, please sign up.
Ruben Valdez Escobedo You might want to check out this previous response. I've tried and it works, but it does not list the second edition next to the third: …moreYou might want to check out this previous response. I've tried and it works, but it does not list the second edition next to the third: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...(less)

Michelle Curie
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
Running is my weak spot. I can't even say why, but I count picking up running a few years ago to the best decisions I have ever made and now can't even imagine a life without it. Having that said, I'm not an athlete. I run and that's all I do. I don't train. But then I realized I actually did want to increase my knowledge on that subject and get more into the scientific bits. And that was when I was recommended this book!

Jack Daniels (not related to the whisky, but I wonder how often he gets jok
Simen Næss Berge
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to get serious about their running
Shelves: personal-library
This book is simply amazing. I read it, followed one of the 26-week marathon training plans and dropped my marathon time by over 50 minutes in less than a year. From 3:55 to 3:03 after doing the 41-55 miles (66-89 km) per week plan.

The book does a good job telling you why you do every run as you do. It tells you what paces to hit for each run also. The plans are easy to follow and they are easy to customize to fit your life.

The only critism I have is that the long runs are too easy/slow. While
Jessica
Jan 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a recreational runner I found this book very helpful but also pretty advanced. It is definitely a resource that I will continue to utilize as I continue to improve in my running.
Henri Hämäläinen
Jack Daniels is a professor of physical education, coach of Olympic athletes and olympic medalist himself. That was proof enough for me, to take a closer look on his ideas.

For me there were two important things in this book. First one was the idea of training load. I've understood that there is different load for different type of exercises, but this book got me to understand more about it and quantify the loads to some extend. I took that part directly in to use on my training diary and will us
Lüc Carl
Daniels is a genius. At times almost a little too smart. I do not recommend this book to anyone who's never run at least a 50 mile week at one point or another. Most of his techniques don't apply to people not hoping to qualify for the Olympics.
His methods are cutting edge (especially 30 years ago) and this book is a must read for anyone who spends a great deal of their life in their running shoes.
Joseph Siefers
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Done them all...Hansons, Pfitzinger, etc. The Daniels 2Q marathon plan is the right fit for me (your mileage may vary).

The 2Q method is wonderful and roughly follows the 80% easy 20% hard rule of thumb (which in my opinion is a far more sustainable way to train). I love how each Q is unique (some have a long warmup, others short, some marathon pace Qs have a break roughly halfway, others don't, tempo Qs sometimes have rests, other times, recovery intervals). With Hansons and Pfitzinger you were
Mark Law
Some good tips but I had higher hopes. I appreciate the scientific approach, but sometimes felt the discussion was in place just to talk about the science, rather than enhance the author's premise. A nice structural change would be a bullet point "need to know" at the end of each chapter to reinforce the important points or lessons in that chapter.
Mai Anh
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Một cuốn cẩm nang cho runner để tạo training plan trong ngắn hạn cũng như dài hạn.
Vasilis
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: running
The way the book is written is very easy to follow and use. I think it's a great helper for anyone who is serious about his training. Now it's time to apply the VDOT values in the road and see if the training programs of the book do make a difference in marathon!
Hexar Anderson
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book changed my entire view on what running training should look like - and it flies in the face of my preconceptions that I've held ever since I started running. The first and most important thing I learned is that I've been running entirely too fast for the majority of my runs - when in fact, you obtain the greatest benefit for the lowest risk when you run pretty slowly (easy pace) for the majority of your runs. The second is that I should be running much more than twice a week - ideally ...more
Yuriy Bezsonov
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sport
Daniels' Running Formula - одна из самых известных и самых лучших книг о беге от известного тренера Джека Дениэльса, часто упоминаемого спортсменами как ДД :). Я считаю что это must read для любого кто увлекается бегом - от новичка, до соревнующегося спортсмена.

Одна из важнейших концепций описанных в книге это VDOT (http://www.attackpoint.org/trainingpa...) - расчет тренировочных скоростей и планируемого время завершения дистанции на основе времени других дистанций. Т.е. если атлет пробежал заб
Kyle Bale
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Back in college I had my two roommates Jake and Joey relay me the sparknotes version of this book as I was preparing to run a marathon January later that year. I had been building a base of aerobic endurance the previous 6 months and was looking for some direction in my leftover training. Both gave me the basic idea, and referred me to an 18-week training plan I could jump into.

Fast forward to post-marathon, post Joey and Jake roommates (*dab*), and post-unplanned break from running (laziness),
Miguel Pais
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exactly what I was looking for!
The perfect manual for every mildly self-conscious and motivated runner who wants to improve their times and an overall awesome introduction to fitness in general.

There's just so much misleading information being exposed every day on blog posts, while this gem has been lying around for 20 years with everything you need to know, written not by a journalist or some sort of fad-creator, but from an actual scientist that has been researching about this for years.

An eye
Camilo
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually more like 3.5 stars

Good recommendations and general framework for running, but it seems to be more suitable for professional and/or people who are really into long distances on their weekly training than people like me who really like running but can't put in all that much mileage. I used it for marathon training and his lightest program was up to 40 miles per week while my aspiration was more like up to 20 or 30 miles per week
Michael Mason-D'Croz
If you want to learn how to coach running, set up training plans or just better your running, this book is a must read. It is so dense and full of information about running and training. Seriously, you should read this book if you care about running. If not ... skip it.

With that said, this book is so full of science, science data, science jargon and other heavy, research-based sections that it can be a bear to read and get through sections.
Cheng Nie
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Now that I have the proper knowledge from the coach, I am better prepared for a better training plan ahead. Before reading this book, I was thinking about tackling Marathon at the end of this year. After reading this book, I thought I'd be better off to target at half Marathon before the end of the year with carefully executed plan. Thank you coach!
Martin Raybould
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My marathon planning goes on.
This authoritative book helped although it was clearly written for those fitter and younger than me. Contains enough general tips to help casual runners who are motivated by personal achievement rather than winning medals.
Greg Streeter
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good for the intermediate to advance runner

Plenty of science and training plans for more experienced runners. New runners should slowly build up to at least 30 miles per week before tackling Mr Daniels' formulas. S great resource.
mellyana
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: running
It helps me to understand the training program. I must admit, the number and charts are not my fave but they are necessary. This is reference book, that means I like to quick read the whole book and go deeper to section related to my objective at that time.
Liz Q
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Interesting, but well outside my pay grade!
Matthew Schutz
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read for any class of runner.
Jeff C
Dec 14, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm just a recreational half marathon runner.
The training plans and concepts in this book seem more helpful to semi-pro or pro runners.
I'll stick with simpler run training books.
Gustavo Iriarte
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must for anyone serious about running and training. Jack Daniels is one of the leading authorities when it comes to running. He created the term VO2 Max.
Kevin Wu
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very useful for long distance training, a bit technical but does a good job of explaining the reasoning behind the training programs discussed.
Jack Luminous
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uuuu.
Kieren Geaney
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. My favourite running framework training book.
Melissa
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loads of information, but pretty technical. Have not yet tried any of the training regimes... they look difficult to implement, though I'm sure they are effective.
Hmorgan
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: purchased, 2018
skipped chapters 16-19 because they provided training plans for distances that I don't race
Evgeniy
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: Бег
Одна из лучших книг по бегу
Hristo Gochev
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for everyone who runs more than a few miles per week.
  • Lore of Running
  • Run Faster from the 5K to the Marathon: How to Be Your Own Best Coach
  • Advanced Marathoning
  • Running with the Buffaloes: A Season Inside with Mark Wetmore, Adam Goucher, and the University of Colorado Men's Cross-Country Team
  • The Competitive Runner's Handbook
  • Brain Training For Runners: A Revolutionary New Training System to Improve Endurance, Speed, Health, and Results
  • Duel in the Sun: Alberto Salazar, Dick Beardsley, and America's Greatest Marathon
  • Pose Method of Running
  • Bowerman and the Men of Oregon: The Story of Oregon's Legendary Coach and Nike's Co-founder
  • The Triathlete's Training Bible
  • Running Anatomy
  • Again to Carthage
  • Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes
  • Training and Racing with a Power Meter
  • Hansons Marathon Method: A Renegade Path to Your Fastest Marathon
  • Pre: The Story of America's Greatest Running Legend, Steve Prefontaine
  • Marathon Man: My 26.2-Mile Journey from Unknown Grad Student to the Top of the Running World
  • The Science of Running: How to find your limit and train to maximize your performance
“Don’t waste your time wishing for things you don’t have. Do your best with what you do have.” 1 likes
“The result is that you get about 3 minutes at O2max in runs one and two, but you get no time at max in runs three, four, and five. What was the purpose of the workout? If it was to hurt, you accomplished the purpose, but if you had planned to spend 15 minutes or so stressing your aerobic maximum, you missed that completely.” 0 likes