Start by marking “Murder on Wheels” as Want to Read:
Murder on Wheels

Murder on Wheels

(Hildegarde Withers #2)

Miss Withers investigates a man who appears to have hanged himself while driving

As snow falls on the steps of the New York Public Library; a line of cars moves sluggishly down Fifth Avenue. Oblivious to the traffic, a blue Chrysler roadster tears down the street, hops the curb, and slams to a halt. The car is empty, its driver thrown half a block back. He is stone dead, hi
Published May 14th 2013 by MysteriousPress.com/Open Road (first published 1932)

To ask other readers questions about Murder on Wheels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder on Wheels

Start your review of Murder on Wheels
Jan C
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2018
Second in the Miss Withers series. Enjoyable read. Not real sure how this murder is feasible though. Victim is in a roadsters and goes past an open bus. A noose catches the victim and he's pulled out of his car. He's identified almost immediately by someone who then disappears.

It turns out there is a twin brother, a cousin who lives with the family, a more distant cousin who doesn't live with the family but has a sister who is engaged to one of the twins and in love with the other twin. A movie
Gary Sundell
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining entry in the Miss Withers series.
Ivonne Rovira
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of Nick and Nora Charles
Murder on Wheels, Stuart Palmer’s second novel in the Hildegarde Withers series, doesn’t rank as highly as the first, The Penguin Pool Murder, but it’s still plenty good. Don’t be fooled by the red herring in Chapters 3 and 4; it will take the savvy Miss Withers to deduce the murderer in Murder on Wheels.

Published in 1932, Palmer’s novel still reads as fresh in the Great Recession as in the Great Depression. Astute detective work combines with witty dialogue and great scenes from a gentler New Y
Francis
Jun 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, this book contained a lot of elements I've criticized a lot of other books for. Mainly, things like, and overly complicated manner of murder, an overly complex plot, with few too many twists and turns. So, why did I give it four stars as in I really liked it?

Because with a Stuart Palmer book you know when you start what kind of ride you are in for, so suspend your sense of disbelief, relax and enjoy a roller coaster ride beside the ever prickly and unrepentant Miss Hildegarde Withers and he
Iasa
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is the type of book that is perfect for an evening's entertainment after a long work day. Nothing too taxing albeit a little far-fetched.
Leslie
Jun 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, mysteries
Maybe only 2.5* as I found one aspect quite obvious, though I didn't guess who the killer was.
Jack Keely
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How could I resist a mystery where one of the suspects shares my surname (albeit with a different spelling), and includes the sentence, "But go on, why should I remember the name Jack Keeley or whatever it was?"
This 1932 whodunit features the spinster schoolteacher, Hildegarde Withers. A wealthy Manhattan playboy is murdered in a bizarre fashion, and clues point to an odd selection of suspects. Pugnacious Inspector Oscar Piper tells Hildegarde that as a professional homicide detective, he is obv
Marj
Dec 21, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vintage-cozy
The story opens with a traffic accident, but there isn't anyone driving the car. A witness says that the driver jumped backwards out of the car, and is laying in the street a block or two away. He is found with a rope around his neck, and died because of a broken neck.

Inspector Oscar Piper is called to the scene, and his friend, Hildegarde Withers, soon appears. They had been involved previously in an investigation, and this time Withers and Piper become involved in a competition to see who can
MaryJo Dawson
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was bargain priced for a time on kindle, and I chose it for a light whodunit read when needed. It fit the bill just fine. Miss Withers, considered a spinster at 38 in the New York of decades past, is a clever lady indeed, and her friend on the police department, as the man with the procedural mind and manor, is a good sidekick. There is nothing original in the that setup, nor the stuffy old house with the eccentric old grandmother and various other odd family figures.
But working out wh
Whistlers Mom
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Evil twins, rodeos, and murder.

I always thought the "evil twin" thing was invented by a soap opera writer hoping for a pat on the head from the producers for writing two roles that only required paying one actor. According to this book, the notion that twins have only enough goodness for one person was widely accepted at one time. The Stait twins are handsome, athletic young men and no one can tell them apart, but their autocratic grandmother is convinced that Lew is the "good twin" and Laurie i
Kelvin
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a 1930s book written by Stuart Palmer. It is the second book in the Hildegarde Withers series. Hildegarde was helping her boyfriend Inspector Oscar Piper of the New York Police Department in trying to solve a case involving one of two identical twins being strangled by a cowboy lariat when he was driving in an open roadstar car on Fifth Avenue in New York during rush hour. Subsequently there was another strangling involving a man sitting in a chair in a locked room.

The story has a lot of
Joan - xstitchfan
A wacky mystery set in the 1930’s with a set of identical twins, a noose, a traveling rodeo, and a murder on Fifth Avenue in New York City. Will Detective Piper solve this one or will his friend teacher Hildegarde Withers have to come to his assistance once again? This is a light mystery to read for pure fun.
Linda Dotson
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have enjoyed these mysteries more than anyother

What a series! What fun. I feel like Hildegarde Withers and Inspector Piper are old friends to me now. The writing is that good! I enjoyed every moment of this book. Unlike some reviews that insisted the murderer was obvious - I hung on every word to find out the ultimate conclusion. Great, great fun.
Lauren
Mar 28, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally published in 1932, Murder on Wheels is the second novel to feature amateur sleuth Hildegard Withers. This one involves an identical twin hanged while driving a car, and the mystery is clever (if somewhat easy to figure out in places). I didn’t find it quite as amusing as The Penguin Pool Murder, but it was still a fun mystery from that era. Recommended.
Jenn Estepp
Definitely one of the more outlandish methods of murder I've come across lately. I mean, it's no murder by carrot, but still. Alas, I did manage to figure out a few things, so points off for that. But I continue to really like Miss Withers and her detective. I'm sad they never made it to City Hall.
Virginia Adi
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rather silly.
Denise Kearney
I Book-$1.99- Early Bird Books. 31/2stars well written plots and fun characters
Jack Heath
Synopsis: Miss Withers investigates an accident in which a driver on Fifth Avenue in New York is found with a noose tied around his neck!
Umer Abbas
my first Palmer certain leaps in logic deduced from available evidence and impractical and hard to follow murder methods but overall not a bad read but not great.
Christina Cueto
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
karen wendt
Mar 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, but not my favorite of all time.
Kay Hudson
Jun 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, mystery
I loved the old classic mystery writers, and I've read pretty much all of Christie, Marsh, Sayers and Allingham, and on this side of the pond Rex Stout, but I'd never read Stuart Palmer's Hildegarde Withers mysteries. So when this one popped up at a bargain price, I downloaded it.

I found Murder on Wheels enjoyable enough. The plot was fairly clever, the characters fairly cardboard, but the fun was in watching the detectives figure out the solution without modern conveniences. The story was publi
Deborah
Nov 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this series. They are being reprinted (after being out of print for years) by Rue Morgue Press in Colorado. The spinster school marm investigates and always gets to the solution before the police. A lot of fun to read, especially if you have ever seen one of the old movies. I always look forward to the next reissue.
Beth Casey
Dec 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Fun, entertaining murder mystery written in the 1930s. I was hearing gangster movie voices as I read.
Ronald
May 13, 2016
Janet Carroll
Mar 11, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Miss Seeton's Finest Hour (Miss Seeton, #0)
  • Miss Pinkerton
  • The Great Mistake
  • A Late Phoenix (Inspector Sloan #4)
  • The Wickenham Murders
  • Henrietta Who? (Inspector Sloan #2)
  • The Religious Body (Inspector Sloan #1)
  • The Haunted Lady
  • The Watersplash (Miss Silver, #21)
  • The Withdrawing Room (Kelling & Bittersohn, #2)
  • Murder at Kensington Gardens (Ginger Gold Mysteries #5)
  • Murder Comes First (Mr. and Mrs. North #15)
  • The Eleventh Hour (Poppy McGuire Mysteries Book 1)
  • Recipes for Love and Murder (Tannie Maria Mystery, #1)
  • Bundle of Trouble (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #1)
  • File M for Murder (Cat in the Stacks, #3)
  • A Brazen Curiosity (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries #1)
  • Fallen World: A Collection of Dystopian & Post-Apocalyptic Novels
Stuart Palmer (1905–1968) was an American author of mysteries. Born in Baraboo, Wisconsin, Palmer worked a number of odd jobs—including apple picking, journalism, and copywriting—before publishing his first novel, the crime drama Ace of Jades, in 1931. It was with his second novel, however, that he established his writing career: The Penguin Pool Murder introduced Hildegarde Withers, a schoolmarm ...more

Hildegarde Withers (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Penguin Pool Murder (Hildegarde Withers #1)
  • Murder on the Blackboard (Hildegarde Withers #3)
  • The Puzzle of the Pepper Tree (Hildegarde Withers #4)
  • The Puzzle of the Silver Persian (Hildegarde Withers #5)
  • The Puzzle of the Red Stallion (Hildegarde Withers #6)
  • The Puzzle of the Blue Banderilla (Hildegarde Withers #7)
  • The Puzzle of the Happy Hooligan (Hildegarde Withers #8)
  • Miss Withers Regrets (Hildegarde Withers #9)
  • Four Lost Ladies (Hildegarde Withers #10)
  • The Green Ace (Hildegarde Withers #11)

News & Interviews