Start by marking “Coeur d'Alene Waters” as Want to Read:
Coeur d'Alene Waters

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Coeur d'Alene Waters

COEUR D’ALENE, IDAHO, is where people go to hide. Neo-Nazis. Corrupt politicians. Mining men with buried secrets.

In 1972, ninety-one men were killed in a mining “accident” sparked by a fire lit nearly a mile underground: the mystery was never solved. After the rest escaped, only three miners survived underground.

More than twenty years later, Matt Worthson is a sheriff’s l
Published July 10th 2013 by Prospero Book Group (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Coeur d'Alene Waters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coeur d'Alene Waters

Mikela
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I learned I'd won this book as a giveaway on Booklikes I couldn't help jumping for joy, then waited with bated breathe until the wonderful day when it arrived for my perusal. Oh, the wait was so worth it, the writing of Ned Hayes' debut mystery novel is so very good, so much better than I'd dared to expect that I found myself both delighted and surprised.

Late one night a dismembered body was discovered in the washroom of a luxury resort near the beautiful Lake Coeur D'Alene in the Pacific N
Alec Clayton
May 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Couer d’Alene Waters is a murder mystery that rises above the genre with language that is simultaneously lyrical and hard-nosed. Ned Hayes kicks off his historical mystery with: “The girl felt hope leave her as the road went dark. Night lapped across the valley and seeped over the mountains, an approaching tide. She turned her head and saw a light far away on the hill. Even as she looked, it faded into the depths. The darkness would swallow her.
“Ahead of the car were only acres of water, an emp
Nancy Silk
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"No One Is Innocent In This Novel"

This is a complex novel that really absorbed me until the end. The story takes place in and about Coeur D'Alene, Idaho. A rustic, rugged landscape of timber and mines. Like the land, the characters in this story are also rugged -- each and every one of them having ultimate goals and remorse. The main character, Matt Worthson, sits at Albi's Bar and Grill. Trying to overcome his taste for hard liquor, he orders coffee. He's carrying a load of guilt, and his recen
Randee Baty
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, reviewed
This novel is as gritty as the mines that it describes.

Matt Worthson is the investigator assigned to the murder of the police chaplain, Arlen Bowman, who was found dismembered in the bathroom of a fancy resort in Coeur D’alene Idaho. Matt has a troubled past as an alcoholic and almost seems set up for failure in this investigation from the beginning. The officer, Russ White, assigned to help him is retiring shortly and will be running against the current sheriff in the next election. The owner
Julie Maas
May 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ned Hayes’ debut novel, Couer d’Alene Waters, captures the tragedy and intrigue of the Sunshine Mine disaster alongside the quest for justice in the violent murder of a local chaplain. Both events present a trail of lies to sift through and an array of unanswered questions. The search for truth knits its way into each character and scene in the novel, moving back and forth in time and intricately connecting the historical North Idaho mining tragedy and the chilling murder investigation that is t ...more
richard m.
Mar 11, 2014 rated it liked it
I would rate this a 3.5 if goodreads allowed that.

The story captured and held my interest throughout - definitely 4 stars for that, especially considering this is the author's first book. I was glad to see the historical notes as they helped me to appreciate the setting of the novel.

I liked the author's technique in telling the story, but it was, in one or two instances, a bit confusing (for a few paragraphs) when the perspective of the narrative switched point-of-view from one character to anot
Allison
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the Author's first book and what a book it is. Well written, complicated characters and storyline. I found nothing likeable about any of the characters and at times was ready to put the book down and not finish it but something kept me going, I had to finish the story. I wanted to find out what people knew and who or what was the cause of all the trouble, what was the reason the story needed to be told. Based on true facts of the mining industry and accidents in Idaho around the mid to l ...more
Jean
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure it gets for stars because "I really liked it." It gets four stars in my book because it is well written, well plotted and kept me interested to the last page. It is a bit "hard edged" for my personal tastes - language is corse and the details a bit graphic. I am not sure any of that is necessary to the story. I am not a prude; I just don't like corse and graphic over-done for the sake of attention.
Having said that, beyond the story being good, it is also a story of forgiveness and g
Milena
Nov 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s the first Hayes’ book that I’ve read and definitely I’d like to check out his other works. The story is revolving around the crime investigation conducted by Matt Worthson. Apart from the murder of a local priest there are other mysteries to uncover connected with the tragic mine accident that happened years before the main events. The plot is developing rather slowly but for me it wasn’t an obstacle. The author’s descriptions of a town, nature, characters and events are so amazingly pictur ...more
Shellie Uchtman
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very intriguing story. I have to admit it took me a couple chapters of listening to the story to get into it. However, as the story went along I found myself becoming more and more intrigued as I sat there listening waiting to find out what was going to happen next. If you love suspense/thrillers, you will love listening to this audio book. This author did a great job with the story line in this audio and I look forward to listening/reading more of his future work.
Jeanne
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I'm surprised that this is the author's first novel. Loved the intricate storyline, the characters and the mystery spanning decades. The fact that it is based on true historical events makes it that much more interesting. I had a hard time putting this book down and look forward to future works by the author.
Kat
Dec 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I got this book from Goodreads First Reads.

I live about an hour away from Coeur d'Alene, and it was fascinating to read about places I've been.

Good story, good writing style, good ending. I liked it, and am glad Mr. Hayes is writing another novel.
L
Jun 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ned Hayes has a great talent for wrapping a fictional mystery around an historical event. Although a bit confusing at points, this is a great read. He had me up into the wee hours last night finishing this one.
Ed Wheeler
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great literary read, kind of like Dennis Lehane's Mystic River in style and tone.

Really enjoyed this book... and it's one of the few murder mysteries I can name that is set in Idaho.
Julien V
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: polar, americana, donné
*I received a free copy from the editor in exchange of my honest opinion*

Ned Hayes is obviously a proficient writer and I wish him well on his future projects. However, I wasn't too impressed by Coeur d'Alene Waters.

First of all, the author relies heavily on the same single trick to keep the "mystery" (as such) alive: secondary characters who know important information are always unwilling to talk to Matt, our main protagonist. Or they will shut up at some inopportune time because... well, this
Vicki Elia
Sep 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Audiobook Review
3 1/2 Stars

First, a note to the author: When you author a superb book, find a superior narrator. Kevin Arthur Harper, a Video Game Voiceover artist with nothing else to his credit is NOT a book narrator. Simply because of Haye's excellent writing and story I stuck with dialogue that was chopped (not choppy), mispronunciations, and no pauses between scenes. Harper is simply awful. (I certainly hope he's not your friend or a relative, but he needs to keep his day job.)

Coeur d'Alene
Lyle Appleyard
Jan 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received a copy of this book through a Goodreads Giveaway contest.

I like a good murder mystery. Take a gruesome murder scene, sibling rivalery and a corrupt police force. A body is found cut up in an Idaho resort. What happen?

I enjoyed the the premise of the plot. A twist in the plot always helpt to keep the reader interestred. There was some action in the story, there was a murder after all. I fould this to be a character driven story. The major character was developed quite well. We found hi
Deedra
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a story of a murder,a man wrongfully accused and how a long dead secret has affected a whole town.I liked it.I found it too long and some spots boring. I don't know if the narrator,Kevin Arthur Harper was meant to read it that way but it made it tough to get through.He is a good narrator.I was given this book free for an honest review.
Nikki
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A long, slow read. Lots of detail that, at the conclusion, seems unnecessary.
marla cunningham
May 27, 2013
Elisa
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, fiction
This book was so slow it was painful. I considered stopping reading it several times but kept picking it up. I'm wishing I had put it away and chosen something else. A very unfulfilling murder mystery. I'll stick to Deaver, Preston/Child and others that are my go-to's from now on if I'm craving some action.
John
Oct 30, 2013
Ned Hayes
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Myra Ball
May 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
World Mysteries a...: FREE AUDIOBOOK OFFER 2 12 Oct 01, 2014 12:06PM

• Santa Claus and Little Sister
  • The Price of Malice (Joe Gunther #20)
  • A Student of Living Things
  • Lost Voices
  • 21 Erased
  • Mesopotamia
  • Lightning Bug
  • Winter Range
  • Nefarious Doings (Nell Forrest Mystery, #1)
  • Ghosting
  • Ominous: Borders: Coffee (The Paris Thriller)
  • The Debba
  • The Vampire's Game
  • Matanzas Bay (Quint Mitchell Mystery #1)
  • At the End (The Road to Extinction, #1)
  • Come Barbarians
  • Or the Bull Kills You (Chief Inspector Max Camara, #1)
  • Playing in the Light

Sinful Folk on Facebook Ned Hayes on Instagram Ned Hayes on Twitter Book Likes Pinterest for Sinful Folk YouTube for Sinful Folk

Ned Hayes is a voracious reader (and writer) from Olympia Washington.

My newest novel is THE EAGLE TREE ("Little A", 2016). The novel was a national bestseller, and was named by New York Times bestselling author Steve Silberman as one of the top 5 books on the autistic experience.

I read in many genres. I especially enjoy historical fiction like Philippa Gregory, Anita Diaman