Start by marking “Dead Man and the Restless Spirits (Dead Man, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dead Man and the Restless Spirits (Dead Man, #1)

Dead Man and the Restless Spirits

(Dead Man #1)

Dying sucks hairy monkey balls, even when you're not the stiff.

Denton Mills has a secret: he can see dead people. Or rather, how they died. It's quite a drag in a city like Chicago, teeming with the echoes of the no-longer living. Rather than whine about it, Denton has learned to live with his troublesome talent. His adaptability comes in handy when he meets his enigmatic
Published June 25th 2013 by Harper Books (first published May 31st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Man and the Restless Spirits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Man and the Restless Spirits

Start your review of Dead Man and the Restless Spirits (Dead Man, #1)
Monique
May 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt

These two men are the perfect match for each other and their tale is most definitely one of opposites attract, we a have a veritable delight of paranormal beings, from ghost to witches and demons to vampires, each story had me captivated and linked seamlessly, and paced so we as readers absorbed enough information to keep reading and greedy for more!

After reading Spirit Sanguine and Dead Man and the Restless Spirits, it is abundantly clear that Lou Harper has a wicked sense of humour… she brea
Susan
Jun 16, 2013 rated it liked it

Lou Harper is a new-to-me author and I really really enjoy her style. Her writing is funny and quirky and sarcastic and those all appeal to me.

The story is about Denton, who as a necromancer, is able to see dead people as well as feel & summon spirits. He doesn’t know much about his gifts or how he can utilize them until he meets his new neighbor, Bran. Bran is mysterious and a man of few words and Denton is drawn to him immediately…despite it being obvious, the guy has secrets.

Denton
Ami
3.75 stars rounded up

Lou Harper continues her style of writing episodic stories (after Dead in L.A. and Spirit Sanguine) with this first book in "Dead Man" series, starring Denton Mills. It's a spin-off from Spirit Sanguine, where Denton first appears.

I would like to comment on the episodic stories first. While this structure makes the book light and enjoyable to read, since each 'episode' will be about a case that Denton and Bran handle, it also makes it slightly lack of deep study on the chara
Lou Harper
Apr 28, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Denton was a supporting character in Spirit Sanguine but managed to steal most of the scenes he was in. I had to give him his own story. He has a special relationship with the dead; among other things, he can see what he calls "death traces."

I based his talent on my hodge-podge of ideas regarding ghost sightings and stuff. According to my utterly unscientific theory, paranormal phenomena like ESP, psychics, and ghosts are strongly connected to human emotions. People leave traces of themselves be
ttg
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
4-4.5 stars – Very enjoyable set of 3 connected paranormal mysteries about “Dead Man” Denton, who can see or sense ghosts, and his tall, dark, & sexy (and very introverted) male witch neighbor Bran.

If you’ve read Harper’s Spirit Sanguine, you may remember Denton as a major side character there. It’s not necessary to read Spirit Sanguine to enjoy Dead Man, although I recommend both books—they’re both a fun read.

Whereas Spirit Sanguine focused on the growing relationship between vampire Harvey an
Cole Riann
Review posted at The Armchair Reader.

I was super excited to read this spinoff of Spirit Sanguine, which I really loved, because I really felt like I liked Denton a lot in that book. He's really funny and he's a natural to have his own book, with the fact that he can see ghosts and all, or at least, the remnants of death. And I really did enjoy it. I think that I ended up feeling quite different about it than Spirit Sanguine, no matter how much I enjoyed it and not relating to the fact that it is
Tamara
Re-read 06/20:
Still fun!

Original review:
3.5
This was fun! The story is light without being fluffy. It's divided into cases, so in that way it reminds me of Dance with the Devil a bit.
I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series!
DarienMoya

4.5

I am so in love with Lou Harper's Paranormal romances, it’s freaking insane. With Dead Man and the Restless Spirits following the same set up as Spirit Sanguine, it was all a freaking delight. And to see a character I previously enjoyed get his HEA was a real joy to read.

Denton Mills can see dead people and sometimes it sucks a whole lot. He's learnt to care with his episodes, but just like death they can come on all unexpected like. So he tries to live as normal as possible, by holding down
Kaje Harper
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: light, paranormal, m-m, mystery
This book is constructed as episodic novellas, but it flows together fairly well. Denton is a website designer who also sees ghosts and the echoes of recent death. Bran is an herbalist and witch who lives next door to Denton's new apartment. At first Bran seems remote and uninterested, but gradually Denton's cheerful personality and unusual skills catch his attention.

The set-up here is fun, the banter has some nice moments, and the guys compliment each other. The take is very light. It skates ov
Vero
Jun 02, 2013 rated it liked it
I liked it. I really did.
BUT it was not so very special - though it had some, well, extraordinary parts .

There was some funny banter in the beginning and some nice and interesting stories/cases with paranormal context, but overall, it was more a nice read.

And I notice that I am not so invested in those two guys that I would wait nail-bitingly expectant for the next installment. Don't know why, but it just didn't grab me that much, though I felt a mite bit protective of Denton.
As I said, a nic
Will Parkinson
May 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Must. Have. More.

This is not a plea. This is a requirement. I *NEED* more of these guys. When I learned Bran's secret, and what other stuff he was keeping hidden, I knew that I'd love this book.

One of the secrets that Bran has needs to be explored. It's not fair to torture this prickly sweet pear like this, Ms. Harper.
Elspeth
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
This was more like a bunch of shorts stuck together than a novel. So there were time skips which are not my thing. One time skip jumped over their first time. I missed that, I enjoy the feels these characters would have had.
So down went three stars to two.
⚣Michaelle⚣
4 Stars

Fun, interesting and sexy...I would definitely read more about this demon-witch and necromancer couple. Also that bit of hotness there at the end? Kinky, delicious fun.
Sammy Goode
Aug 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Okay. Fan girl moment--sorry...Squee, I loved this book! There, done. Now I can be a serious reviewer again. I so admire this author. With each book, Lou Harper solidifies her spot as a top notch story teller whose novels remain fresh and exciting. The plot lines have just enough twists and are packed with more than their fair share of action making them exciting to read. The dialogue is rich and humorous and often reveals so much about her characters. Her characters...oh my...vibrant, alive (ev ...more
Heather C
Omg this was so much fun!  And also my first experience with Lou Harper's writing, but I'm still not sure how I've never heard of the Dead Man series before. Please, let there be more to come!

Set in Chicago and told as a series of three "episodes", Dead Man & the Restless Spirits tells the story of Denton, a web page designer who can "see dead people".  He has recently been hooked up with a new apartment with the help off his BFF, Joy.  Joy has also warned Denton all about the broody, snooty an
Bitchie
Once again, Lou Harper gives you a book with a couple of separate short stories, both of which are quite enjoyable. Denton, who you met in the Sanguine series, can see dead people and ghosts, and he moves next door to Bran, an herbalist slash witch. It's Bran who helps Denton realize he can do more with his abilities, and they grow closer. Bran has something a little "extra" down below, which was quite fun to read about!

It was also nice seeing Sanguine's Gabe and Harvey, even if it was only for
Caipi
This was a light and fun read.

Denton, a necromancer, moved into a new apartment, right next door to Bran, a herbalist and witch. It didn't take long and the two were building a lovely relationship and working together as ghostbusters.
I loved the most Denton's sense of humor!

3,5 stars
MostlyDelores
Spare, clever, and romantic.
Taintedskyee (Books Books&More Books)
Very fast paced story.I adored Will and Gene's Ghost. ...more
Chris, the Dalek King
Well, look at that, Denton went and got his own book!

To quote the old saying ('99 was ages ago, right?), Denton sees dead people. Ever since he was a kid, and almost ended up walking thru that white light vis-à-vis a dip in some inhospitable water, Denton has had the ability to see the lingering remains of people after death has collected his due. Which pretty much sucks because walking thru the last minutes of someones death every time he needs to buy a cup a coffee is a real downer.

When Dent
Ulysses Dietz
Jul 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dead Man and the Restless Spirits is a new, and welcome, kind of paranormal m/m romance - both the gay romance and the paranormal world are taken for granted. I see more and more books in this vein, and like it.

This is not an emotional romance - but a slow-build buddy book in which a little background magic and intersecting talents bring two very different guys together. I liked that it wasn't all storm and sob - I liked that it is the skinny techno-geek, Denton, who figures out the dark and my
Emi Lia
Jun 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
**I received a copy of this book for an honest review**
Great read!
Denton makes an appearance in Spirit Sanguine so we our introduced to his witty nature and special talent. Denton can see dead people, and more specifically the imprints they leave behind of their death. When he moves into a new place, he gets the hots for his new neighbor, however Bran is a bit stand offish and really doesn’t pay him any attention, until he sees a tiny preview of Denton’s ability. As they begin to work together
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Whoever wrote the blurb hasn't read this or was just plain lazy (the sentence 'They seem like perfect partners—unless Bran's not-so-little secret comes between them.' in particular). There is absolutely nothing that makes these two characters be at odds. There is a secret, but the moment it is revealed, they just move on to more interesting things.
Also, I didn't expect this to be a collection of unconnected stories about the couple's various encounters with ghosts.
Karen Wellsbury
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Bloody great, pacy funny + sexy. I've said it before, I love Lou Harper's writing. ...more
Lena Grey
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Denton Mills, of Lou Harper's book entitled 'Dead Man Restless Spirits', is having a hard time finding someone special and he's lonely. It could be that potential suitors are put off by the fact that he's an unconventional, somewhat antisocial computer geek with lots of body piercings and an unusual sense of humor. Surely it has nothing to do with the fact that he's a necromancer and has supernatural knowledge that would scare the pants off of most people. Denton finds that in Bran Maurell. Now ...more
Yvonne
Reviewed on Hearts on Fire

3. 5 Stars I liked this story of Denton and Bran and their adventures in ghostbusting. Denton made a couple of brief appearances in Lou Harper’s other novel, Spirit Sanguine, where he assisted ex vampire hunter Gabe and unsuccessfully tried to make a play for him as well. In this spin off, (not sequel so it’s not necessary to have read the prior book), Denton gets the starring role as the very thin rather geeky web designer who’s also able to see dead people. At the
Jan 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-male-male
This is the second book I've read from Lou Harper and each time I was not disappointed. Dead Man and the Restless Spirits is a spin off from Spirit Sanguine. I would recommend reading that book first because it gives you more insight to the MC Denton. Also the two MCs from that book do make an appearance in this story.

I loved Denton in Spirit Sanguine and I'm happy he has his own story. The book is set-up very similar to the first which was a combination of 3 short storys centered around two MCs
Micha
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really liked this! I enjoy the tone of this author's writing. Minimum angst and a straightforward, uncomplicated story. There was no drawn-out drama over misunderstandings or lack of communication that seem to plague a lot of M/M supernatural books. The MCs are great, Denton's fun to read and Bran's adorable once he opened up. I got to the end and wanted more. Reading the sequels right after. ...more
Lilia Ford
This is similar in format to Harper's other paranormal stories, with an episodic structure that puts more attention on the developing relationship and (refreshingly) treats any mysteries as "jobs," stuff the characters do for a living but don't necessarily bring home with them. I liked this a bit less than Harper's other stories in the genre mostly because Bran didn't spark enough interest: the guy underneath that sexy and mysterious veneer was a bit of a drip, frankly. I did like his mother, wh ...more
Sherry
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Huh...I thought I had already rated this one. Oh well.

The reviews already showing do a great job but my thoughts/opinions are probably closest in sync with Ami's review....she's summarized it beautifully.

If you like this author's writing style, you'll enjoy this one as well. You don't have to have read the others in this series first but it's helpful.

Recommended.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Backlot Gay B...: Lou Harper's "Dead Man and the Restless Spirits" 7 32 Aug 18, 2015 02:07AM

• Jon's Downright Ridiculous Shooting Case (Jon's Mysteries, #1)
  • Pressure Head (The Plumber's Mate #1)
  • P.S. I Spook You (The Spectral Files, #1)
  • Shadow's Edge (Psychic Detective Mysteries, #1)
  • Daylight Again (Hell or High Water, #3)
  • Long Time Gone (Hell or High Water, #2)
  • Hell & High Water (THIRDS #1)
  • The Mysterious and Amazing Blue Billings (Black and Blue #1)
  • Not Dead Yet (Not Dead Yet #1)
  • A Reason To Believe
  • Among the Living (PsyCop, #1)
  • A Ferry of Bones & Gold (Soulbound, #1)
  • Catch a Ghost (Hell or High Water, #1)
  • Headlines (Prime Time, #3)
  • Breaking News (Prime Time, #2)
  • Fit to be Tied (Marshals, #2)
  • Daddy's Forbidden Room
  • Thrown to the Wolves (Big Bad Wolf, #3)
Under a prickly, cynical surface Lou Harper is an incorrigible romantic. Her love affair with the written word started at a tender age. There was never a time when stories weren't romping around in her head. She is currently embroiled in a ruinous romance with adjectives. In her free time Lou stalks deviant words and feral narratives.

Lou's favorite animal is the hedgehog. She likes nature, books,

Dead Man (3 books)
  • Dead Man and the Lustful Spirit (Dead Man, #1.5)
  • Dead Man and the Army of Frogs (Dead Man #2)

News & Interviews