Start by marking “Ocean” as Want to Read:
Ocean

Ocean

The ocean has never had a biographer quite like Sue Goyette. Living in the port city of Halifax, Goyette’s days are bounded by the substantial fact of the North Atlantic, both by its physical presence and by its metaphoric connotations. And like many of life’s overwhelming facts, our awareness of the ocean’s importance and impact waxes and wanes as the ocean sometimes lurk ...more
Published April 2013 by Gaspereau Press

To ask other readers questions about Ocean, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ocean

James Murphy
Jun 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This isn't a book about the depths of ocean thousands of lonely, empty miles from land. Sue Goyette has written a book of poems about the very personal ocean off Nova Scotia and Halifax. It's composed entirely of numbered poems (56) written in couplets expressing the wonder and gratitude owed to the ocean roundabout there but also tinged with the fear of it and the sense of its oppressiveness. In the end it's a moody, capricious god more gray than blue. These are wonderful poems carrying humor a ...more
mwpm
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
The real estate agent chewed gum to cover the smell
of bank on his breath and told us a snow fence would keep it

out. That it wasn't so much like student housing
but a wishing well that would one day increase

our property value. Oceanfront was like 24-hour shopping;
we'd browse its surface and wonder who really needed

all this stuff. And what a hurricane of a question!
What a tidal wave of disruption. It got worse

when we walked into it and let it taste us. Courtship!
We had never heard of marriage let a
Sonia Jarmula
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Some of the most lyrical, magical, powerful, evocative (too many adjectives? doesn’t matter, they are so necessary) works I have ever read. A must-read.
Paula Dembeck
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Every once in a while you find something that is an absolute jewel, and for me this is one of those times.

Goyette has lived in Halifax, a city located on a peninsula surrounded by ocean, for over twenty years. The ocean dominates the city where all the downhill road streets lead to it, and the sea naturally becomes a part of the lives of people who live there, even if they don’t realize it.

These are not the usual “ode to the sea” offerings, but instead, very original crafted observations, some
Lindsay
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Normally, I fall into the ".... I don't get it" camp with poetry. Not so with Sue Goyette's Ocean. Something about Goyette's poetry really jived with my brain. Each poem was brilliantly metaphoric; many made my heart ache. Although in a few instances the metaphor might have become a bit too forced or slipped into abstraction (leaving me with the "... I don't get it" feeling), these instances were fortunately few and far between, and did not overshadow the deeply moving--and often funny--poetry o ...more
Alison DeLory
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful collection of poems about the Ocean's influence on a community of people. It it in turns generous, punishing, tricky, and unpredictable. So much gorgeous language here it was like swimming in gentle waves. The imagery and allegory were neither too challenging not too obvious.
Cathrine
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
The ocean nursing new rocks ... I so afore this collection. Thank you :-) so much Teresa :-)
LZ
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
A clever, quirky, touching book of poetry about the humankind's relationship with the ocean. I've read this three times and appreciate it more with each read.
Ryan
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
In 2018, these are better suited for older parents. I'll come back to this in 20 years.

It is refreshing to read poetry with modern day references.
Andrea
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: canadian, poetry
What an amazing and inspiring body of work. Sue Goyette captures the spirit of the ocean and life! Our connection to the oceans of the world and what it means to be alive. To give you an idea of how ingenious this poet's writing is here's one sample of what is in-store for those who find themselves caught in the undertow of poetry.

"Pandemonium was at high tide in those days
and women were insisting on diving into every wave.

In this way, we learned about the undertow
of flirting, the grit of
Indigo Wayworth
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this. This poetry was so alive and I fell deep into the pages and read it in one sitting. Sue Goyette is writer in residence at my school, and she'll be teaching this lecture on Wednesday and I cannot wait to pick her brain.

Read for ENGL 3271: Contemporary Canadian Literature
Andrea McDowell
Sep 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. Every single poem was a jewel. Some were more beautiful than others, but all were lovely. There was not a single dud in the whole bunch.
Carissa
Aug 30, 2017
Neta Herage
Nov 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Sue Goyette is a Canadian poet and novelist. Born in Sherbrooke, Quebec, Goyette grew up in Saint-Bruno-de-Montarville, on Montreal's south shore.

Her first poetry book The True Names of Birds (1998) was nominated for the 1999 Governor General's Award, the Pat Lowther Award and the Gerald Lampert Award. Goyette's first novel, Lures: A Novel (2002), was nominated for the 2003 Thomas Head Raddall Awa
“We traded an accordian of hours for wood.” 0 likes
“It won every staring contest. Would laugh
at our jokes. It was the original god of hypnosis

and made us all feel sleepy. Over time, it became
a breed of static, an out-of-service channel broadcasting

beyond our buildings. If we drove to its feet,
it wasn't to confront it, but more to adjust

our own reflections, straighten out our hearts with the old
if-you-know-what's-good-for-you talk.”