Start by marking “El buscavidas” as Want to Read:
El buscavidas

El buscavidas

El buscavidas es la historia de Eddie Felson el Rápido, un joven jugador de billar que se gana la vida con pequeños timos, viajando de ciudad en ciudad, birlándoles sus ahorros tanto a tipos corrientes que tienen la imprudencia de desafiarlo a una partida como a héroes locales que se consideran a su altura. Para Eddie el Rápido no hay hombre vivo que pueda ganarle en su ju ...more
Published June 2nd 2009 by Alamut (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about El buscavidas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El buscavidas

Toby
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lit
“When the bottles hit they tinkled and jangled noisily; but Eddie did not hear them because of the overriding - yet distant, detached, far-off - sound of his own screaming.”

I saw The Hustler for the first time recently, I love the atmosphere and the mood that drifts from nihilism to hope, Paul Newman struggling with the anger and hatred inside of himself in between long silent brooding takes. And I knew within the first chapter of reading the words of Walter Tevis that all of it stemmed from her
Kevin Seccia
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kevin by: Sarah
The Hustler is pretty close to perfect. And better for your morale than a half-dozen self help books, chased with a handful of Xanax.

When I started reading it I had twenty dollars to my name, now I have five (the book wasn't free), and all the secrets to the universe.

"It's always nice to feel the risks fall off your back. And winning; that can be heavy on your back too, like a monkey. You drop that load too when you find yourself an excuse. Then, afterward, all you got to do is learn to feel so
Ben Loory
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
so far i've read three walter tevis books: this, Mockingbird, and The Man Who Fell to Earth, and i don't think there's been a word out of place in any of them. incredible.
Jim Cherry
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You probably know the story of “The Hustler” from the 1961 Paul Newman movie of the same name. It’s the tale of small time pool hustler Eddie Felson who wants to move from the small time to the big time by playing the best pool player, Minnesota Fats. He loses to Fats, falls for a woman, gets his thumbs broken, is taught how to win by gambler Bert, and has a rematch with Fats. It’s all there, the pleasure comes in the prose of Tevis’ writing.

The prose is sepia tinged as it should be for the worl
Carole Morin
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carole Morin, author of Spying on Strange Men, reviews the fiction of Walter Tevis

Paul Newman was told he wasn't sexy enough to be an actor. A rich man's son, he didn't have the street cred of Brando and Dean who studied at Lee Strasberg's Actors' Studio around the same time.

His performance in The Hustler makes a mockery of Strasberg's judgment. The Hustler, Walter Tevis' first novel, is exceptional not only in being a brilliant book but the movie based on it is also great.

Three of Tevis's 4 no
Daniel Polansky
Loved this. Loved it. The perfect antidote to the last five. The story of Fast Eddie's attempt to become the greatest pool player in America, a hill that he must climb over the corpse of Minnesota Fats (the names, right? The Names!) Fast, sharply written, a meditation on, basically, the Will to Power as expressed over a pool table. The character sketches are divine, I spent a lot of time reading it and laughing loudly in bars. Definitely check this out.
Chadwick
Jun 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely perfect novel. Tevis is a writer who makes me go "Holy shit, did you fucking see what he just did there? That was bad-to-the-ass!" Seriously, a textbook about how to write a perfect novel. I read it in three hours.
Bert
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: orgasmic
Such great writing.. precise, hardboiled, real-sounding dialogue and vivid, sad characters. It's been years since I've seen the movie but I couldn't help but visualise Paul Newman while reading this, he just nailed that part.
Michael
Dec 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For some reason that I'm not aware of at the time of purchase, I've only been reading first novels these days. First, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, followed by Less Than Zero, on to The Secret History and finally this one, Tevis's first, inspired by his working at a poolhall. I'm not sure why I've been subconsciously doing this, but it must mean something. And all in all, every work is about as different in every way as possible, as just as good as the next.

I have to agree with a former reviewer
Piewacket
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From a pool players perspective (and I have played competitively for over 15 years) this book has amazing insight into the mind of a player. I enjoyed it immensely as well as the follow-up "The Color of Money". This one is a little different from the movie version (less about the love story and more about the game), while the later bares no resemblance to the book other than the title.

I think you can enjoy them both even if you don't play pool, even more so if you have ever competed at any sport
Mo
Jun 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I hate pool, see? My Dad hustled pool and we ended up with mysterious appliances that he said "fell off of a truck". And a lot of Keebler's cookies. But I digress: Walter Tevis is a genius novellist. Every word so precisely chosen, so put in just the right place, the plot effortless and the dialogue just perfect. Characters? Don't even get me started.
Paul
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I've heard that pool can be a dirty game," she said.
He put the comb back in his pocket.
"People say that," he said. "I've heard people say that myself."
"You're being comical," she said, trying to make her voice sound dry. And then, "Is it dirty?"
... "yes, it's dirty." He felt of his face, which needed a shave. "Anyway you look at it, it's dirty."

"It was like a whorehouse Saturday night and payday in the mines; the day the war was over and Christmas. He could feel his palms sweating for the weigh
Paul Beech
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tevis's first novel only just merits 4 stars, as it suffers from the same problem as his own 'Mockingbird' - a good premise, a great first half, then a gentle but noticeable decline in quality. Tevis's writing here is mostly very fine, but it's almost as if he couldn't keep his enthusiasm from sagging midway through the process. The careful development and attention to detail that characterise the first 100 pages gives way to a rushed and underdeveloped summing-up. The climatic contest between E ...more
Sharad
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Play to win.

A short novel about a pool player trying to become a great one. I thought it was going to be the typical story but it kept surprising me. It transported me to the pool saloons and made me care for the protagonist and his quest for self improvement.
Black_hammer
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The eye opening book.
DROPPING OUT
May 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely the quintessential novel about pool and the pool once hustler, written in its heyday. Gritty prose typical of the era. Great ending. Once I started, I did not want to put it down - Read it in under four hours.

I think I saw the movie some fifty years ago that starred Jackie Gleason. I do not think I saw the sequel, "The Color of Money." As both are considered "classics," I gotta checked them out too.

For those who yearn for the America of the 1950s, here's a sample, about the anti-hero,
Kelly
Jun 01, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Though I've never seen the film adaptation of The Hustler, I suspect (or at least hope) it's considerably better than the book. The story is somewhat interesting, but all of the characters are fairly one-dimensional and I really disliked the protagonist. The writing style is very spare, somewhat like Steinbeck or Hemingway, but not nearly of that caliber. At very rare moments, it has the almost poetic feel of good Hemingway, but it's, mostly unremarkable or even bad. The author seems to be more ...more
Chrisl
Sep 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like reading Tevis. Tagging this "toreread"
Great Movie, too.

***

While in Air Force, enjoyed a season bowling with a hustler. (Chicago Izzy - at Space Lanes, near Omaha) Won a bit of tournament money with him. Stayed out of pot games when he was on. Hard be comprehend him being that good using house balls.

There is an enjoyable art to sandbagging with a bowling ball. Being a librarian and and outsider, I enjoyed being "eccentric" in my approach to the pins, after moving to cowboy county ...

Have
Lars Guthrie
Feb 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A classic by an under-recognized writer. Makes me want to investigate more of Tevis. A truly American story about a man trying to invent himself--'to think of himself as an insurance salesman or a shoe clerk would have been only absurd'--driving across America's open spaces, living outside the law, but within his own code of honor. And where does he end up? Not too far away from the insurance salesman and the shoe clerk: "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss." 'The Great Gatsby' placed in The ...more
Pat Cannon
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite movies but I had never read the book. Walter Tevis had a remarkable understanding of how pool hustling worked. I would recommend reading this even if you have seen the movie because there are many details in the book that will enrich your understanding of what motivated Fast Eddie Felson. Except for a few dated references, this is a story that could be told in a modern setting with very little change to the plot.
William Boyle
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can't believe I haven't read this until now. I've always loved the movie, and I've had a swell pocket-sized Dell paperback of the book hanging around for about fifteen years. Finally picked it up two days ago and tore through it. A perfect, beautiful little novel. Loaded with great characters, but Sarah, the alcoholic grad student, might be my favorite--She has a picture of a sad clown up on her wall and that's tough to top.
Daniel Jon Kershaw

The Hustler explores the dingy, low class world of the American pool hall with a minimalist style that reminded me of John Fante. Tevis delves into psyche of a sport where money and self worth are intertwined. Beautiful drawn and seedy characters litter the pages in-between poetic descriptions of pool.

I was hustled into giving this book 5 stars.
Chris O'kill
Dec 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic book. I'd read the Color of Money first and had to read this one too. Atmospheric, gritty and brought the tables and poolrooms to life. I know why the likes of the mighty Lawrence Block enjoyed his books. Just a shame there aren't that many.
Carey
Sep 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pool
Creme de la creme of pool books. You know you're a pool player when you can't even read 10 pages without putting it down and running to the nearest pool hall.
Brenda
May 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. The hardest decision to make is in deciding which story has more pathos; in the film she dies, in the book she lives on as a lush.
Jeannie Walker
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read the book and saw the movie! Loved both!
MR. Samuel Frank  Campbell
Great Read!
Kilean
Feb 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
All of his books are excellent.
Alan Wang
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A well-crafted, concise book that imparts more wisdom than it lets on. The story is essentially a thesis on winning. What is winning? Why do some win and others don’t? In my view, the author presents winning as a standalone universal concept in of itself. It is not a byproduct of passion, or strategy, or even action. Winning is its own religion, and only those who worship might ever grasp nirvana. To win at the highest level, one must obsess over victory for its own sake.

To lose is the default.
Warren Stalley
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When ambitious Fast Eddie Felson rolls into Chicago his one aim is to beat one of the top pool players at Benningtons namely Minnesota Fats. But in this classic novel by Walter Tevis the young pool hustler goes through a kind of personal hell to reach his journey’s end. At his lowest point he meets the tragic, noble Sarah and their rocky relationship is the cornerstone of the novel counterpointing the many scenes of pool games with a strong sense of emotion. Although overshadowed by the classic ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Una questione privata - I ventitre giorni della città di Alba
  • The Drive-In: A Double Feature Omnibus
  • Resurrection Man
  • Enigma in luogo di mare
  • Alcatraz: Jack Folla un DJ nel braccio della morte
  • The Missing Head of Damasceno Monteiro
  • House of Splendid Isolation
  • Solomon Gursky Was Here
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Freemasonry
Walter Stone Tevis was an American novelist and short story writer. Three of his six novels were adapted into major films: The Hustler, The Color of Money and The Man Who Fell to Earth. His books have been translated into at least 18 languages.
“And winning; that can be heavy on your back, too, like a monkey. You drop that load too when you find yourself an excuse."
...
And Bert seemed to relax, knowing he had scored, had pushed his way through Eddie’s consciousness and through his defenses, although Eddie still only partly understood all of what Bert had said, and was already prepared to rationalize the truth out of what he did understand. But Bert had suddenly quit pushing, and seemed now to be merely relaxing with his drink. "That’s your problem," he said.”
3 likes
“To love the game itself is a fine thing; it is loving the art you live by.” 3 likes