Start by marking “Listening to the Light: How to Bring Quaker Simplicity and Integrity into Our Lives” as Want to Read:

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  87 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Quakerism has been a source of inspiration for over 300 years. Combining spirituality with the practical life, its insights have a universal appeal that is particularly relevant to today's world. Quakers deeply value inner peace and tranquility and believe that there is "that of God" within us all. They also have a compassionate determination to alleviate suffering and a p ...more
Published April 1st 1999 by Random House UK

To ask other readers questions about Listening to the Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Listening to the Light

Gloria Denoon
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Jim Pym shares his own spiritual journey from growing up in Roman Catholic Church to joining Buddhist meditation groups, and his transition to becoming a Quaker. Pym’s approach may appeal to a broad range of people because he explains his rationale for adopting Quakerism. (p.20-21)

This is a good introductory book for Quakerism. By discussing practical examples, the book introduces the religion to new comers. The basic theme is that Quakers believe there is “that of God” in everyone and they meet
Mandy
Nov 20, 2009 added it
Shelves: read-in-2009
I wasn't really sure how to read this book. It is written for everyone, not just Quakers, but is about Quaker worship, and suggests that the readers start using Quakers ways of worship in their lives. As someone already attending Quakers, I felt odd when I came across those suggestions, almost as if the book was not intended for someone like me.

It was very interesting to read how Pym thinks about Quaker worship, especially as his viewpoint is from someone who has dual membership, as he is also a
C. Jellie
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was like a spiritual homecoming. There is such beauty in the concepts and ideals of modern British Quakerism. I love the acknowledgement that each individual is following their own spiritual path and the openness to all faith or none tied with the pursuit of equality, justice and peace.
Andi Allen
May 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is a wonderful overview or introduction to the Quaker faith. It is very calming to read. I have also found it very useful to provide this to friends or family members who have never attended a Meeting but are trying to understand Quaker beliefs and practices.
Barry
May 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
See review of "Plain Living" - of the two, I would recommend the first, but by all means read both for Quaker insight.
Grace
Aug 11, 2007 rated it liked it
exploring my Quaker spirituality
J
Oct 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Not preachy and very calming to read.
Kathleen
Feb 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
This is a great book for anyone who is looking for an introduction on how to bring Quaker simplicity into their life.
Holly McIntyre
Dec 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
An excellent introduction to the Quaker (Society of Friends) tradition, especially as it is in England, but very much an introduction -- not as useful for someone who wants to dig deeper.
Doc & Charly
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Interesting tome written by a Buddhist Quaker. There is much that is appealing about Quakers.
Jacob Wingate