Start by marking “In Darkness We Must Abide: The Complete First Season (IDWMA Episodic Serial, #1-5)” as Want to Read:

In Darkness We Must Abide: The Complete First Season (In Darkness We Must Abide Episodic Serial #1-5)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  89 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
In Darkness We Must Abide is the epic saga of one young woman caught in the dangerous world of the creatures of the night.

Already living in the shadows due to her albinism, Vanora is just a little girl when her older brother inadvertently unleashes a terrible evil from the family crypt that changes their lives forever.

As she grows up in a world where beautiful deadly bein
Paperback
Published May 24th 2013 (first published May 18th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about In Darkness We Must Abide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Darkness We Must Abide

Eric Asher
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read and wrote a short review for each episode of this fantastic serial. I have compiled them below.

EPISODE 1:
This is a very interesting start to the serial. The setting is creepy, the backstory is intriguing, and I am worried about what is going to happen to these characters I just met. I already bought the next installment in the serial. Frater’s prose is flowing, engaging, and begs to be read. Please excuse me while I go read more of it.

EPISODE 2:
I made the terrible mistake of starting to r
Toni
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone that loves vampires -- this is true gothic horror at its finest!
I participated in the read along for this first season so I am going to post my review/discussion for each episode here.

Episode 1:

1. For the chapter prologue: What does everyone think of Armando? It’s clear that Vanora has a reaction to him.

- Vanora’s reaction to Armando is one of very mixed emotions. Vanora is both thrilled and frightened of Armando, which already makes me want to read every episode right now so I can find out what is going on in present day!

2. First impressions of the Socoli’s
Rachel Tsoumbakos
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am breaking this review up into five parts, since that is how many episodes In Darkness We Must Abide: The Complete First Season by Rhiannon Frater contains. I will also give each part it’s own rating out of five and then a final rating for the entire season at the end of the reviews.

Death Comes Home (In Darkness We Must Abide, #1)

Vanora is Romanian and lives in a Gothic-style mansion – what could possibly go wrong? Vampires, of course! Right from the onset of this first episode, the mood is s
Wendy
May 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal, gothic, horror
Originally posted on my blog: book-scents.com

I haven't really read any serials before so this was kind of a new experience for me, reading these episodes. At the beginning of each episode is a snippet of a scene that is happening after the events in these five episodes. The scene unfolds with each episode and ties them together. As this was told in episodes, I'm going to format my review as reactions to each episode. This will be spoiler free, so my discussions may become less as the episodes pr
Lanye
Oct 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm a picky reader. Nearly every time I go into a bookstore I leave empty handed. I need to be sucked into the story. I need something different from every other novel on the shelf. Rhiannon Frater has done that with this serial.

I have known of Rhiannon Frater since she first started self-publishing. I kept tabs on her work, but frequently dismissed them because of time constraints and life in general. However, when In Darkness We Must Abide came to be I found myself curious. I didn't immediate
Paddy
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I really don't think that she's written a stinker, every book I've read of hers I have enjoyed from cover to cover and this certainly is no exception. I am glad however that I bought the book as a complete whole season because it allowed the flow of the story to continue without interruption. I then bought episode 6 and am waiting for episode 7 to come out and fine it irritating to say the least!
Back to this complete season, just brilliant and so gutted when it finished. If you like the genre yo
Lorre
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved it!!! I suspected I would love it cause everything I've read from Rhianon Frater is just amazing.

This first season of In Darkness We Must Abide is fab.u.lous! I adored Vanora after a few pages and can't wait to see what happens to her and her siblings in the 2nd and 3rd season.
Lori
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: indie
One of the best serials I have ever read, Rhiannon Frater keeps me on the edge of my seat with this modern gothic tale of Vanora. It has a more obvious romantic thread then any of other Frater works, but it works, and Armando is an amazing leading man.
It's Me - Yvette
Dec 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First, for the record, I'm glad I have Goodreads friends or I never would have known about this gem. Enjoyed this more than I expected. Off to a good start. I will definitely read more from this author.
Seyma
Aug 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great story of Vanora (an albino girl) who is raised by her half brother and sister and how her family becomes intertwined with vampires. I loved the character development and storyline. Although there is a forbidden love, it is dark and true to the nature of vampires. Loved it!
Lindsay
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a must-read for Frater fans the world over! Gory, sensual, tear inducing, horror bliss! <3
Ashley
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Let me start by saying I love how this book has been compiled into the first five episodes. Any one who is a fan of vamps should give this a try
Alexia Purdy
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This serial novel follows the Socoli Family as they descend into the dark world of vampires and a long, deadly family history that has come full circle to haunt the three siblings Roman, Alisha and Vanora in their Texas home.

The descriptive writing and excellent set up had me on edge throughout the first season. This serial novel has a way to addict the reader like literary crack. The suspense, violence and horror are written in such a manner, you must come back for more, much like an episode of
Cindy (eclecticfirefly)
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have to say it. Rhiannon is one of my favorite authors!

The vampires in this book are NOT sparkly. They can be humorous, petty, vicious, and loving. Not an easy task for an author, but Rhiannon pulls it off without seeming to work at it. Kudos!

The prose is lyrical. The violence is not understated. The love and affection shown between the family members is real, not sappy.

It's hard to go into specifics without giving away some key points of this story. So, I'll end with this.

READ THIS BOOK!!! Yo
JoJo
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 to 4 stars

It took me some time to get into this one. But once I did I was hooked. I think at first I thought the characters needed more depth to them but as the story progresses you really get to know the characters and they become very well developed. I really like how the story unraveled. I am intrigued to find out what happens next. If you love a good vampire forbidden love sort of story you will enjoy this one!!
Elisa
Sep 24, 2013 rated it liked it
I struggled a little with this one. I liked it a lot, but there was some repetition of things and some of the dialogue was a little forced. Also, it jumps in time and we are left clamoring for the next set of episodes because what the heck is going on?!
Some blood and violence and a love scene. Looking forward to finishing the story!
Samantha Newsome
You must read this...

Really! I don't know why I waited so long. it has everything a good vampire story should have. I don't want to give anything away, so I will just say READ IT! Venora and Armando as well as everyone else are such great characters.
Vee
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

I hesitated at first but then I was totally mesmerized by this spin on vampire tales! All the characters touched me and all I can say is I'll be buying the next in series
Sofia Galvez
Sep 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: vamps
This was a slow read for me. There wasn't much to hook me and I feel it was missing some action. Overall, I did like the story.
AH
Dec 17, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: free-downloads
12/16/15 - Kindle free download.
John
Cassandra Walker
Jun 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Grimm Fairy Tales: Inferno
  • The Visitors: SEASON ONE (Episodes 1-5) (The shocking YA dystopian serial)
  • Whitstable
  • State of Decay: Omnibus
  • Code:Breaker, Vol. 03 (Code:Breaker, #3)
  • The Art of Emily The Strange
  • Return of the Phoenix
  • Becoming (Lynnie Russell Trilogy #1)
  • Genital Grinder
  • Lost (Heart Search #1)
  • The Goth Bible: A Compendium for the Darkly Inclined
  • The Unseen
  • Nightmare (Dangerous Times, #2)
  • Pestilence
  • The Zero Class (Cypher Theorem #1)
  • Deadland Rising (Deadland Saga, #3)
  • Abnormal Psychology
  • This Plague of Days, Season 1
Rhiannon Frater is the award-winning author of the As the World Dies zombie trilogy (Tor) as well as independent works such as The Last Bastion of the Living (declared the #1 Zombie Release of 2012 by Explorations Fantasy Blog and the #1 Zombie Novel of the Decade by B&N Book Blog).

She was born and raised in Texas where she currently resides with her husband and furry children (a.k.a pets).

S
More about Rhiannon Frater...

In Darkness We Must Abide Episodic Serial (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Death Comes Home (In Darkness We Must Abide, #1)
  • Death in the Shadows (In Darkness We Must Abide, #2)
  • The Arrival of Armando DeLeon (In Darkness We Must Abide, #3)
  • The Gift (In Darkness We Must Abide, #4)
  • The Vampires (In Darkness We Must Abide, #5)
  • Dire Warnings (In Darkness We Must Abide, #6)
  • Destruction (In Darkness We Must Abide, #7)
  • The Fallen King (In Darkness We Must Abide, #8)
  • The Purge (In Darkness We Must Abide, #9)
  • Betrayal (In Darkness We Must Abide #10)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Perfected (Perfected #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
“I have lived long enough to realize that nothing remains the same for long. Life is a series of changes, and you must adjust to survive.” 0 likes
“Why don’t you write about the gypsies? My great people the gitanos!” Armando smirked in response as he moved her away from his computer. “You know when I was mortal, the gitanos were considered trash.” Carlotta’s face darkened with anger. “You high-brow Spanish aristocratic pig, whose genes are so inbred you’re lucky your genitals aren’t growing out of your forehead,” 0 likes