Start by marking “Beneath the Surface (Reluctance, #1)” as Want to Read:
Beneath the Surface (Reluctance, #1)

Beneath the Surface

(Reluctance #1)

Kyran Reese is a man in control. Driven when it comes to work, focused when it comes to play. From his office to the chalk circle of the bare-knuckle boxing ring, his only thought is to win. That thirst heightens when Dale Porter enters his life. His brother’s assistant should be off limits, but her witty comments and sarcastic comebacks have him desperate to get her betwe ...more
ebook
Published August 29th 2013 by TWCS Publishing House (first published August 28th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Beneath the Surface, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beneath the Surface

Crystal~BIG book addict~
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-netgalley
*ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

I really liked this book. It was an easy read, great characters that I liked. Neither of the MCs annoyed me so I was very happy with it.

Dale is just starting her first day at her new job when she meets one of her bosses, Mr. Kyran Reese. She is to be his brother's new assistant. The attraction is instant for both of them. He likes that she won't let him walk all over her and she likes that he is sexy and arrogant.

"How can you make me f
*P*u*r*p*l*e* Masochist
~Arc provided via Netgalley in exchange for honest review~

This review is posted on Way Too Hot Books.

I was excited about reading this book and I won't pretend that the main reason for that wasn't the mention of a male hero being a boxer, because it was, but unfortunately, overall in the end the story fell flat.

The reasons for my rating:

1. The Plot

“I have fucked you. Numerous times, in fact. We will continue to do so because, seriously, Dale, it’s amazing....Now, get on the floor. I need to
Sandra
May 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-netgalley
This review will also be available on My Fiction Nook as of 8/29/13.

While the author's voice has matured a bit since her debut novel, this book, much like the previous ones, is still suffering from what may be one of the biggest tropes in erotica romance right now - tortured hero meets woman with magical va-jay-jay to cure him.

Such is the trope in this nicely written but quickly forgotten erotic romance. Our hero, Kyran Reese, likes to be in control, at work and at play. His play time is mos
✿kawehi.reviews
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
“I have f*cked you. Numerous times, in fact. We will continue to do so because, seriously, Dale, it’s amazing....Now, get on the floor. I need to feel you wrapped around my d*ck. Now.”

I'm disappointed to say that I struggled immensely to get through this book. The story was slow and the main characters, Kyran and Dale (both sound like guys names, eh?), were nothing special.

Kyran, is a shrewd business man with a secret. He is very frigid, emotionally stunted and guarded, and needs to be in contr
Crista
Sep 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Review posted at: Swept Away By Romance

3.5 Stars!

Beneath the Surface by M.A. Stacie is the exact type of story that never fails to attract my attention. Rich, successful, sexy, alpha male…check! Honest, sweet, down-on-her-luck heroine who isn’t afraid to stand up to the alpha male….check! Steamy sex…check! This book has it all, and delivers an entertaining (albeit predictable) read.

As the book opens, Kyran Reese is struggling with the responsibility of running the family business. He is restless
Cindy
Whoot whoo Dale! Loved Dale she is a very strong minded woman who knows who she is and what she wants. It was interesting to see her paired up with Kyran Reese who is a strong alpha male. It worked surprisingly well. Kyran is the CEO of the family corporation along with his brother Taylor who is CFO and they are both hot and broken and have their secrets. Talk about dysfunction at it's finest. Kyran is strong, sexy, family fixer, and has serious emotional bonding issues. Taylor is just as good l ...more
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
August can't come fast enough I need this book!

Okay after writing that a week later I received an ARC copy of this book to read after requesting it on Netgalley. I love me some netgalley because they always have the latest books I love so much. First I want to start this review off a little differently because I hardly ever do this but this is one of those rare occasions that I have to say this book cover screamed for me to read it. I love a rough tattoo boxer looking guy who is rough and tough
Victoria
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
I was looking forward to reading Beneath the Surface especially after I saw several good reviews but unfortunately it fell flat for me. The story has everything I usually like, a dominating man, a little angst, and a lot of time between the sheets, or against the wall, or on a desk...

“Look, we are going to do this. I am going to fuck you. I have thought about nothing else for the last week. Now, you can talk all the way through, or you can enjoy it. However, if you choose the first, I can assure
Flirty Reader
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: erotica, twcs-books
I've had the pleasure to be the editor of this story and I couldn't be prouder of Stacie's work. She's had grown so much as a writer since Unwritten Rules. Her male protagonist is hotter and more swoon-worthy plus her female protagonist is stronger than ever.

This story is a little Fight Club, a little bad boy business man, and a lot of UST!

I can't wait for the rest of the world to read this book, M.A. Stacie is going places!
Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾

"Every time I took a breath, the air was filled with you. I fought it, determined to ignore your siren call. But you kept dragging me under, and beneath my controlled surface, something was happening to me."

I read this while on vacation a few days ago, and I'm struggling to remember any feeling or thoughts I had about this book. So that for one tells you something.

Suffice it to say, this didn't leave any impression on me one way or another. The plot was very 'been there, read that', a
Claire Robinson
Aug 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shit-hot-series
You know what you are getting with this book, and no mistaking, a dominant alpha male with the some level of emotional detachment, a feisty female who has been unlucky in love, and the inevitable chemistry that sparks up when they meet.

Lets face it, the alpha male/feisty female genre is flooded at the moment, and in all honesty there isn't anything new in this book that I haven't read in dozens of others, like alot of literature of this type out there at the moment, it is a bit of a mish-mash o
Laylaw
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc-review
Let me start off by saying, I love a fighter. I want to be a fighter just so I can be around guys who do MMA, seriously HOT STUFF. The cover was smoking hot..... That being said, I struggled with this book. I could not connect on any level with Dale, she drove me nuts. And her name!! I was constantly having to remind myself that she was a woman and Kyran was a man etc. I had such a hard time finding either to have likeable qualities. Especially in the beginning. I found Kyran to be overally dema ...more
Nicci   ☞ Hell Raisin Sugar  ☜
There was a lot to love about this book. Kyran is a buttoned-up executive by day and a tattooed fighter by night. Did I mention I am a total MMA whore? And the quiver inducing power a man in a well-cut suit holds over me?

Kyran’s more than a little bit damaged, and adrenaline and pain are his drugs of choice. He isn’t fighting for glory or money—he just wants to feel something. His brother, Taylor, on the other hand, finds his solace in drugs of the illegal variety. The drugs have addled his bra
CasPerfitz~SLiTsReaD
thank you Netgalley and Smith Publicity for the arc....

(review can also be seen here : http://wp.me/p3NHjQ-cg and here : https://www.facebook.com/SLiTsReaD)

Kyran Reese loves to fight when his stress... and his often stressed with their company, his absentee father and his brother..... so he is often at the arena coming home with bruises and black eye.

Dale Porter is starting a new job, new life. She just dumped her ex whom she caught humping her bestfriend in their home. Then she met Kyran, her
Sweet and Spicy Books
This book starts with us meeting Dale, who is starting a new job after quitting her old one when she found her boyfriend and best friend in bed together... with another women.
Her new boss isn't in so she meets his partner, Kyran. The attraction is instant but both play it off try to ignore each other.
They have a hot/cold, love/hate relationship. The banter is funny because these two are hot heads and when they get together they explode. They end up agreeing that they cant deny their attraction t
Jay
Aug 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**ARC kindly provided by NetGalley and the publishers.

3.5 stars! I really enjoyed this one, but there were a few things that annoyed me.

early on I got pissy with Dale... no sooner had they discussed & agreed they're "just sex" she'd be asking again what they are. & I really didn't see what she was so pissed off about when she stormed into Metro to rip into him.

after that it all fell into a fun, comfortable place just like Kyran & Dale did, & completely agree with her choice to wa
Jill
I received this book from Netgalley for my honest review.

When I read the blurb for this book I thought, "hells yeah, this sounds like a book for me!!"
I mean how can you resist a sexy brooding dark hero...one that gets off on underground fighting. Yum!!
This is exactly what you get with Kyran Reese. He is a man who likes control and excerpting his dominance in any given situation. A successful business man also he doesn't like anyone to know about his secret bare knuckle boxing fight.
Enter Dale.
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
Kyran Reese is a typical alpha male that sees something he wants and goes all out to get it. But there is one thing that he did not anticipate encountering. A strong independent woman with a serious mind of her own except when it comes to that libido of hers. man in control. Driven when it comes to work, focused when it comes to play. Dale Porter enters the picture and his life changes to win at any cost. Dale is full of witt smart azz comebacks and the chemistry is off the charts in a very dele ...more
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
First and foremost, I need to thank M.A. Stacie for giving me an ARC of this story. I am honored that you thought of me. I have been a fan of Ms. Stacie's writing since her first novel, Unwritten Rules. With each story, I enjoy her writing even more. This story is no exception.

Kyran Reese is a business man who is also a bare knuckle fighter. We meet Kyran as he is attempting a break from the Metro, the place where he fights, and then he meets Dale, Taylor's new assistant. Taylor is Kyran's brot
Janet
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
* I was extremely fortunate to 'be' with this story from the 'get go' *
M.A.Stacie never fails to make you smile, grit your teeth ,have that 'what the hell?' moment in all her books and this is no exception ....

Kyran Reece is a business man , with a secret ,Dale Porter ,his brothers new ,very capable assistant ,throws him a curve ball ..Taylor Reece has lived in his brothers shadow, slowly sinking into a world Kyran knows nothing about ..Dale Porter covers for Taylor whist attempting to hint at t
Stacy
***ARC courtesy of Net Galley***

Familial dysfunction is one of the worse fucking things we (as humans) have to deal with. It fucks with our heads and causes us to do some fuck up shit and make some fucked up choices. But we all have to learn to forgive and forge ahead. At its heart, that is part of the underlying message in Beneath the Surface.

M.A. Stacie explored issues surrounding addiction in its various forms - drugs, violence, sex - but it never came across as "preachy" (don't think that's
Talk Supe
BRAINE'S FEEDBACK

DNF - so I'll skip the rating as I find it unfair to rate a book I didn't read through.

This isn't working for me. The hero is ok, typical Alpha male, all rigid and controlling. It's the heroine that I have a big problem with. Her character is so off-putting from the start I can't stand her nor will I allow myself to be subjected to suffer through her story.

The heroine, Dale, applied as a secretary for Kyran's company. First day at work she's already flirting with the boss, TWIRL
Wendy
Full review closer to release, but I really liked it. I loved the intensity chemistry between the H/h and that the story was more than just the sex. There were a couple surprises that I liked the right amount of angst and pretty good character development. What I loved most was the two different sides to "Reese"...sexy in a suit and in control of himself and his father's company, and raw to the core while at Metro, fighting in an underground ring. Awesome story!
CT
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Review up on 29th August

**arc received from netgalley**
Lauren at Live Read and Breathe Reviews
Source: eARC for Honest Review from TWCS Publishing House via NetGalley

Kyran is the misunderstood grumpy ass CEO with the only thing that makes him feel alive is fighting.

Well until....Dale.

Instantly there is a connection but they try to fight it off since it is against the rules until Kyran convinces her that they can have a no strings attached relationship.

This seemed like a great idea until things changed.

"Kiss me, Dale. Kiss me and make me forget everything. The hospital, my father, Taylor
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Slick‘s review posted on Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

I’ll admit right up front that this cover drew me in…hook…line…sinker. I mean seriously, how can you not want to run your tongue down this guy’s chest and that tat snaking under his belt line….whew…yeah. Then I read the blub and knew I had to see what it was all about. I liked this book, but I didn’t love it mainly because the heroine gave me whiplash; she was all big, bad, bold Ms. Attitude one minute and then weepy, clingy, whiney girl the
Michelle ♥ The Romance Vault ♥
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

So by day Kyran is a CEO running their father's company alongside his brother Taylor. But by night he is a bare knuckle fighter, venting off his frustrations of what life is throwing at him whilst letting off steam in a chalk ring inside The Metro. Kind off a cool concept and one I hadn't come across yet until now.

Dale is Taylor's new assistance but Taylor is late to the office so Kyran steps in to welcome her into the Company,
JL Roberts
Sep 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves sexy business men during the day/underground boxing badass at night.
Shelves: read-series, reviewed
**ARC provided by author via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.**

No labels, a sex only relationship. Thats what Kyran and Dale decided their all consuming passion would be.

Kyran Reese is the sexy CEO of Reese Corporation by day and at night he is an underground fighter at Metro. He is controlled in everything he does; from work to his fighting. That is until Dale walks into his office. She comes in with a warm smell of vanilla and an attitude no one ever throws towards Kyran. She invad
Ellen ✦ Book Bellas ✦
Kyran is a conservative, successful businessman by day and a bare-knuckled fighter by night. Few know his secret obsession with fighting, at least until Dale comes along:
“This was what he needed. This was what he lived for. No amount of buying and selling businesses could beat the buzz he got from it. Tomorrow would be better – his senses would be heightened and his rigid control would return.”
Kyran and his brother Taylor work together in their family buiness. Dale Porter is hired as Taylor’s as
Jennifer ♛Jenna♛
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
*I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.*

Kyran Reese is the CEO of The Reese Corporation and used to people doing what he says. Dale Porter is his brother's, Taylor, new assistant and doesn't care that he is the boss and isn't afraid to speak her mind. Kyran finds this both an annoyance and also a turn-on; he doesn't know why he feels an instant attraction to Dale but he does. Beneath Kyran's corporate suites he has tattoos and boxes in an underground club
  • The Companion Contract
  • One Of The Guys
  • Play by Play (Play Makers Shorts, #1)
  • An Aria in Venice (A Musical Interlude, #1.5)
  • The Fighter's Block (The Fighter's Block, #1)
  • Unscrupulous (The Manhattanites, #1)
  • Fighting Love (Love to the Extreme, #2)
  • Fireworks
  • Immortal Protector (The Immortals, #1)
  • Phoenix
  • Blood Flows Deep (Ryze #1)
  • Ruin (Summer in Winter, #1)
  • Nice Girl (Girl Series, #1)
  • Jezebel
  • Power Play (Billionaire's Club: New Orleans #2)
  • Love Me (Take a Chance, #2)
  • Safe in His Arms
  • Res Me (A1pha #4)
M. A. Stacie is never without a book or her eReader. A voracious reader, with a love of sexy, yet angst ridden novels, she loves getting lost in new worlds. Her need to write did not grip her until after her second son was born, when her previous rambles became fully fledged stories.

She describes herself as one huge contradiction, and though not the most conventional of hobbies, she counts getting

Reluctance (3 books)
  • Behind the Scandal (Reluctance, #2)
  • Beyond the Seduction (Reluctance, #3)