Start by marking “Eistochter (The Sensitives, #1)” as Want to Read:
Eistochter (The Sensitives, #1)

Eistochter

(The Sensitives #1)

Nach dem Langen Winter, dem ein Großteil der Weltbevölkerung zum Opfer fiel, liegt der Staat im Kampf gegen die »Empfindsamen«, Menschen mit besonderen Fähigkeiten. Die 17-jährige Lark weiß, was von ihr als Nachfahrin der großen Staatsgründer verlangt wird: eine gehorsame Bürgerin werden. Aber dann wird ihre große Liebe Beck beschuldigt, zu den Empfindsamen zu gehören, und ...more
Published February 17th 2014 by Blanvalet (first published December 5th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Eistochter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eistochter

Start your review of Eistochter (The Sensitives, #1)
Rebecca McNutt
Larkstorm is a more or less conventional dystopian novel, set in a society of rigid control where those who are different are ostracized. Divergent, anyone? But it's still a captivating story with an intriguing premise, and the characters are likable for the most part. I guess I personally just found the story a bit predictable. Having been forced to read every trendy dystopian novel in high school for English class, I learned that these books follow a pattern, and Larkstorm is no exception.

Wha
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
I so hate doing reviews about why I couldn't finish a book.

I got about 75% in and I just couldn't go further - Lark just annoyed me and Beck was a wussy.

The story was great up until Lark got to the Light Witches and then I just couldn't take the ribbing, the whining, the adults acting like children.

Now, these things that annoyed me, may not bother you so please don't go by the reason I stopped reading. Like I said, the beginning and the story line are unique and great!
Angela S
Sep 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Larkstorm is a cross-over between dystopian and traditional fantasy. Witches and super trains. Dark magic and repressed societies. Perhaps I'm just not well-read enough (even though I try), but I thought this was a unique cross-over combination that allowed for a lot of unusual plot development. What if witches brought about a global catastrophe? What would that look like and how would society rebuild itself with magic at the helm? Miller brings that world to life with intricate detail and descr ...more
Karekon
Jun 02, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, young-adult
This book started out interesting then got progressively more icky.

(view spoiler)
Debra Driza
I read an earlier version of this book and it was awesome! If you love stories about ill-fated romances, then this book is definitely for you!
steph
On first glance of the summary, I expected Larkstorm to be like the normal dystopian fare that is so popular nowadays. I was looking forward to seeing how Dawn Rae Miller would make her storyline fresh and unique, but I was still pleasantly surprised by the different approach she took with her book. Many dystopian elements are present in the story, but magic, the factions that broke apart because of it, and an unbreakable friendship are very much the central focus here.

After the Long Winter, the
Sara
I'm kind of surprised at all the 5 star reviews for this book. While it wasn't bad, I didn't see the WOW factor that it seems everyone else did. I thought the beginning of the book had promise. It seemed as things progressed that I had a good grasp of the dystopian society and I was enjoying the setting of the story. As the story continued it lost me.

Once Beck left and Lark set out to find him I was excited to see where the story would go. The whole encounter with Lark's brother at the train st
Andrea Snedaker
Dec 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, love, 2011, school, dystopia
LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

Seriously! I cannot say enough raving, fantastical, amazing things about this book!

I cannot wait to get my hands on a realy copy (I had to use Smashwords to get it). I want to reread it over and over.

Lark is one of those characters that you get sucked into, you see the world through her eyes, you are her when you read her. I pink puffy heary Miller for being that kind of author.

The entire concept of light and dark witches/sensitives, is one not touched much
Kimberlee
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
" 4.7 on the Bell Curve."

The pacing of this moves quickly. I sat down and read it start to finish with only two breaks because I had to know what happened next.

Larkstorm has a multifaceted plot that slowly unravels over the course of the book. The prose is thankfully more literary than sarcastic. Each line feels carefully thought-out and it balances showing and telling very well.

My first impression was that the story was reminiscent of MATCHED, and was glad to see the elements which I found to
Singbarefoot
Nov 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this book last night and I wish it hadn't ended. I love books where I feel a connection to the characters, and my heart is invested in their journey-Larkstorm is just that kind of book. The story pulled me in right away and I found myself immediately connecting to/becoming more curious about the characters-not just Lark and Beck, but their friends, their families, and as the story went on, even their enemies. The character development in this book is great-you want to know these ...more
Book Whales
Jan 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted @ Book Whales

She must kill the boy she loves, unless he kills her first

I love post- apocalyptic books and Larkstorm is one of my favorite. It’s not the typical zombie, asteroid, nuclear or alien invasion. I admit! I was surprised about it!! I don’t post spoilers so you have to read this book to find out what cost the destruction. You will be stunned! I like how the author created Lark’s world. It is very authentic; I can imagine myself living in there.

Lark Greene, lives a li
Colleen
LarkStorm by Dawn Rae Miller 3/5
Lark – by chapter 6 the main female character Lark is confused and slightly whiney. Doesn’t seem to be a strong person, but relies on others. By chapter 9 there was a lot of character building and the story was starting to bore me. After chapter 9 things started to pick up and Lark seems to understand her situation. Lark loves Beck but is caught up with so much emotion that she doesn’t know what to do? Lark tries her best to learn her new abilities, but with the
Michelle Smith
Sadly, could only give 2 stars. I thought 4 at the beginning for its strong strong start, but it just degraded after that. I had high hopes for it, too, the story elements are all there - some might even say derivative (Uglies anyone? Matched anyone?), but it just turns into a jumble at the end.

I think it suffers from too much reveal. There are too many surprises, too many shocks. And they're all felt through Lark, who is just this messed up happy/sad split personality by the end. There's a lot
Lisa
Dec 31, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm torn between giving this book three or a four stars. In the end, I'd have to say 3 1/2. When I first heard about Larkstorm I was super, super excited about it and obsessively searched everywhere for it. I expected this book to be a different kind of Dystopian(I don't know why, I just did.) and it was. I wouldn't count it as supernatural, but I'd say it falls more into that category than dystopian, I guess in the big picture it's dystopian, but anyway...I liked this book, but honestly, I thou ...more
Kim
Nov 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2012, 2011, 2015, ebooks
I absolutely loved this book! It held my attention and I didnt find it too predictable. I fell in love with Beck and cant wait until the next book comes out. The ending definitely left me wanting more.
Chloe (Girl In The Woods Reviews)
When I finished LARKSTORM, there was something that seemed to capture the radiance that some books seem to lack in but this simply not-to-be put-down novel had that something I was looking for...
Samantha
Apr 01, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-s-challenge, arc, ya
This was just not my cuppa. I pushed on through this entire book just to be even more disappointed by the end. The story has potential but the characters, the back story, the different elements just didn't gel together.
Angela
14 April 2015: $0.99 on Kindle

3 January 2015: $2.99 on Kindle
Margaret Alexander
I’d wanted to read this book for a while. It was definitely entertaining and had some great pacing.

The story starts off with Lark sharing a room for her entire life so far with Beck, her designated “mate.” She lives in a society where human population is closely monitored, hence the assigned mating. While this may sound like a dystopian story, don’t let that fool you. This is actually a futuristic fantasy…I guess? This is the issue I had with the story. The opening was off to a shaky and somewh
Rachel Naddeo
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been wanting to read Larkstorm for a long time and most of the time when you expect too much from a novel, it can only disappoint you. But that was not the case with this one. With such an unique and exciting premise, Miller's novel is what everybody should be reading right now (if you haven't read it already)! Not to mention that Larkstorm has one of most beautiful cover I have ever seen (it will look SO good on my bookshelf)!

I won't tell you more about the story, since Goodreads' book des
Jaylee
I only made it halfway through this one. This book is not particularly badly written, but the story just didn't hold water.

First off, it's a sort of dystopian society where you are not allowed to have sex until you are matched with your lifetime "mate." And yet, Lark and a boy have shared a room their entire lives. And their dorm matron asks, fearful, "have you two had sex yet??" because if they have, they're in big trouble with the government. Um. Then WHY ARE THEY SHARING A ROOM? If this is s
Rachael Allen
Sep 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Larkstorm is like no other book I’ve ever read. It’s a dysopian, with all the great world building stuff that goes along with that - wristlets, population control, fun new words like ping and heya, bindings (state chosen partners). But it’s also a fantasy – witches and quests and generation-spanning curses! The hybrid result is an amazing piece of fiction.

And while all that on its own would be enough to make me want to read this book, there’s also a star-crossed love story. Lark and Beck have b
Lynsey
Oct 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I first saw the beautiful cover and read the synopsis of Larkstorm by Dawn Rae Miller, I thought I might like this book but OMG I LOVE IT WITH THE FIRE OF A THOUSAND SUNS. I thought it was just another dystopian book but boy was I wrong as the “Sensitives” or humans with extra abilities are basically witches. Now, in some ways that might be considered a spoiler but in this case, I want you to know how the story will develop as it might be a deal breaker for some.

Larkstorm is basically all a
Christine
2.5*

I was so excited when I got my hands on Larkstorm. Unfortunately, this book did not hold up to my expectations.

Lark and Beck are descendents of the founders of their society. Lark goes to school with Beck, her birthmate. They live in a society where the state chooses their job and mate. The school they go to is like a safehold for the children in this society, guarded from the Sensitives, the outcasts of this world. They are thought to be a threat and evil.
The pace of the story gets faster
Jayme
Dec 22, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
S. Davis
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Stars or More! I loved it.

On the audiobook performance:

The voice actor is my absolute favorite, Erin Mallon, who also performs the Sweet Evil series by Wendy Higgins.

I never want to turn down the volume for hurting my ears because of screechy, obnoxious, over-acting, and I like her "style".

Though softly-pitched and soothing, Erin's voice is far from dull. Her interpretation of the characters is always straight on and her narrator/character transition seamless.

IMHO, Erin Mallon delivers that "t
Yianna Yiannacou
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really didn't know what I was getting myself into when I purchased this free book off amazon. But let me just tell you how happy am I that I did. Something about this book kept me on the edge of my seat. It's really long for an eBook but I finished it in no time. I read it without even reading the synopsis first so I didn’t even know what supernatural world I was getting myself into this time. Let me tell you more.

This book takes place many years after what seemed like the end of civilization.
Nannah
Uffda, this book is a mess.

Where is the plot? Halfway through, I thought, finally the plot's going to become clear, but then the book kept going, and I still didn't know the story's main focus. Lark finding a way to be with Beck? Lark trying to learn magic? Light and Dark witches and their drama? What's the plot? Everything is so jumbled together, and yet more plot points and conflicts keep being added! I basically was left to conclude that there was no plot, just a series of revelations.

The fi
Stephanie Bibb
Dee
**Review Copy Provided by Author**

I am always on the lookout for interesting books, so when this one popped up as an author provided book in one of my goodreads groups, I jumped on the chance to read it. this was back in December...and then for some reason I kept finding reasons to not read it, or getting distracted (although that is actually not that hard to really accomplish...), but this past week, I finally sat down and read it.

The premise was intriguing, 2 teens who are going to be mated wh
« previous 1 3 next »

• Pod
  • Ashen Winter (Ashfall, #2)
  • Darla's Story (Ashfall, #0.5)
  • Sunrise (Ashfall, #3)
  • Rapture (Rapture Trilogy, #1)
  • Ashfall Survival Cookbook
  • Ashfall (Ashfall, #1)
  • The Pearl Savage (Savage, #1)
  • Rot & Ruin (Rot & Ruin, #1)
  • Twelfth Night
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
  • A végtelen térségek örök hallgatása
  • I Was Born for This
  • The Scorpio Races
  • Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders
  • Eon: Dragoneye Reborn (Eon, #1)
  • Beyond Redemption (Manifest Delusions, #1)
  • Ewigkeitsgefüge
Dawn is a Twitter and fashion addict whose favorite things in life are her family, gorgeous dresses, tea leaf salad, and French macarons. She splits her time between San Francisco and Northern Virginia, and is always up for a trip to Paris.

The Sensitives (3 books)
  • Nightingale (The Sensitives, #2)
  • Phoenix (The Sensitives, #3)

News & Interviews