Start by marking “Shadowforged (Light & Shadow, #2)” as Want to Read:
Shadowforged (Light & Shadow, #2)

Shadowforged (Light & Shadow #2)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  659 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
With Catwin’s help, Miriel has captured the heart of the King, but their victory has come at a cost: the suspicion and enmity of the Duke, and the unrelenting hatred of the Court. As they recover from the attempt on their lives, the two form a fragile alliance, promising that their first loyalty is to each other, and that their one goal is to survive.

But to survive, Catwi
Paperback, 1, 221 pages
Published April 9th 2013 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about Shadowforged, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadowforged

Lia
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ohmahgawd.

THIS BOOK.

I'll write a review when I'm coherent again because Ifhveoitndurgo34fusd834!

Edit:

Apparently, it took me a good long while to be coherent.

All right, time for a real review.

This book...this BOOK.

Okay, I just had to post that gif again.
Warning: Might contain spoilers for Shadowborn
As a fantasy book, Shadowforged strives to be unconventional and it succeeds.

Instead of grand epic battles, the only battles shown are the ones fought in court, where the weapons are not swords an
Paranormal_Madness
What I liked:
-Catwin and Miriel. The girls grew on me throughout the course of this book, and I found myself rooting for them constantly. They were learning to trust and rely on one another after realizing that there was nobody else they could trust. The two formed an almost sisterly bond, complete with arguments. I also love Catwin’s devotion to Miriel.
-Plot. There wasn’t a ton of action in this book, but there didn’t have to be. There was plenty of drama and intrigue and mystery surrounding da
Andrea Anastos
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you have not read "Shadowborn" you will want to do that before picking up this book. If you have already finished "Shadowborn", keep reading!

The writing gets better with each book by this author. The characters deepen; the relationships become richer; the plot moves with a steady pace which, as I noted in my review of "Mahalia" (a stand-alone by this writer), is much more realistic than the compressed frenzy of many fantasy books these days.
I won't spoil the ending, except to say that it caug
Claire
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who like mystery, prophecies, medieval fantasy
Recommended to Claire by: saw posting in local coffee shop about local indie author
Great pacing to follow in this second novel. The plot thickens and the pace quickens.

After establishing her characters in Shadowborn, Katson launches her readers forward with an array of surprises. With Shadowforged uncertainty at court, assassination attempts and further deception prompts the reader to deeply question alliances.

Will Catwin and Miriel continue to play as pawns in the Duke's game? How close are we to a rebellion that will reshape the structure of their society? If either of the
Tim Lumsden
Oct 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 STARS!!!! I enjoyed better than the first. Good read!

We continue with the saga of Catwin, girl of fate and prophecy. She has been trained as Miriel's shadow and protector and after a rocky start has become her friend and ally. Sometimes very slow moving, nonetheless you keep wanting more, to uncover the mysteries, untangle the plots and unravel the intrigues of the court. Will they survive? Will they break free of the Duke's control? Will Miriel attain her goal? What does Catwin want? What, if
Kayla
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a great second book!

I’ve completely fallen in love with the characters in this trilogy. Catwin and Miriel are absolutely wonderful female characters. While they are certainly my favorite, I also rather enjoyed Garad, Wilhelm, and Temar. All of the characters have such a realness and depth that I can’t get enough of.

The writing is on par with the previous book (which is great in case you didn’t know). As the story progresses, it’s evident that Moira is a skilled author.

I cannot wait to read
S.L. Saboviec
I was impressed by this series, the Light and Shadow trilogy, which was another one of my fabulous Bookbub bargains. (Er, by the way, since I talk about them so much, one might wonder if I’m affiliated, but I’m not. Though I’ve acquired enough $0.99 and free books from them, I should probably take out stock.)

This is both a fascinating character-driven and an interesting plot-driven story, wrapped in an engrossing fantasy world. Catwin, the main character, comes from a poor family, and until she’
moxieBK
As I started to read this story I knew I was going to buy the complete set....and in fact, I did.

The whole "Light & Shadow" series is beautifully written. I completely became immersed in the setting and really enjoyed the full emotions that characters had. I was set in a "medieval-like" setting, and that is one of my favorite period to read.

The characters were absolutely well drawn and the plot was very absorbing. I never thought the author wandered too far from the train of thought. I found
Cr
Mar 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of repetitive telling, slow-going

I wanted to like this second book more, but the author spent a lot of time going over things from the first book and then spending a lot of time telling the reader the same stuff about the relationships between the main characters, without any interesting developments, twists or growth. It was such a disappointment that I'm not going to read the 3rd book unless it's free and I have nothing else to read. Spoiler: The fact that the main protagonist, Catwin, s
Kristen
May 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
NOOOOOOOOO I had this massive review typed out and I don't know what happened to it! Ugh, all the sadness.
Oh well, the gist of it was that I love the development of the plot, as well as Catwin and Miriel's relationship. In my opinion, this book is the better of the first two because we really get a good look into some of the characters feelings and motivations. Katson paces this book much better than the first one, speeding up and slowing down in the right amount to keep the reader engaged in t
Nicole
Apr 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: just-ok
1st - I received this book in return for my review

2nd - I only just liked this book. It is very easy to read, the characters are well formed and the story is defined.... However! The story takes a long time to pick up! The first book was better and I can only hope that the next book actually goes somewhere. That being said, this book is full of internal dialog and I feel that we could have done with out the entire first 2/3rds of the book and it would be a great book! The last 1/3rd is worth the
Heather
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book is the second in the trilogy. While I was unable to put the first one down from pure enjoyment and thrill, this one was very rough to get through. The plot was plodding, and the characters became more grating the longer I read.

This book practically beat me severely about the head and face with complete and utter boredom.

Pages were devoted to the perfection of the character, Miriel, that after a while became superfluous. Characters that were interesting in Shadowborn became flat and u
Ashley
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, young-adult
I sort of abandoned this book for quite a while before I managed to return to it, but once I did, I read it all in one night (almost all in one sitting, too!). I like the relationship between the two main characters--it is complex and shifting and dynamic, like relationships are in real life. The book is subtle and well-plotted without seeming like it feels too clever for its own good and exciting without resorting to shock tactics. I am looking forward to reading the end of the trilogy, even th ...more
Jessie
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
This was mostly fun while I was reading it but not particularly satisfying at the end.

The ups and downs of Miriel and Catwin's relationship get fairly repetitive and old. The tensions don't change much throughout the book; they just repeat.

Few of the characters beyond Miriel and Catwin are particularly well-developed still, and Miriel doesn't develop much (or even particularly develop in Catwin's eyes) in this book.
Michelle
Oct 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how, but this was even better than book 1. Even more happened, the characters are much further developed (at the beginning of book 1 if you told me I'd like Miriel this much I'd have laughed at you).
Diana
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really interesting series, loved the story and the characters. There was too much detail about the families and the conduct of all the nobles in parts but overall I was really engaged throughout the series. The plot twists were unexpected and the characterization was good.
Greg Kirby
Aug 08, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shelves: ebooks, my-books
I thought that this second in the series would not live up to the first (I quickly tire of court intrigues) but the last few chapters more than made up for it!
I did find a few typos that the editor should have caught, but they were minor.
I have bought the third book and am starting it now!
Marinne Carter
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Story was just an interesting and fun as the first one. Things are definitely heating up in this world! I love how subtle the attraction between Temar and Catwin has been. There are a few errors in this book that could be polished up. (repeat words or missing words and misspelled.)
Meghan
Oct 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Pretty good. A couple boring bits of inner reflection and rambling, but otherwise it kept the pace of story well. The ending was excellent.
Trisha
Aug 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Don't understand WHY people would love the ones they chose. Also disliked how very descriptive, over and over the same things were.
Deborah Lewitt
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
a perfect fallow up to the first book. riveting can't put down suspense. the political intrigue is fascinating so sad there was only one more book.
Liz
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Better than the first one.
Rebecca
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Thoughts

I did enjoy this book. Unfortunately hard to keep up with all the people, names & how they fit in the story.
Marie
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I enjoyed this book quite a bit, a good addition. On to the next!
Douglas Cook
Well written. Primarily focuses on character development. More intrigue than action.
Susan Schnelbach
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, fantasy
I've been pleasantly surprised by both books in this series. So much so, that I'm going to pay full Kindle price for the third book in the series. This series is well written and engaging.
Krista
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read.
Ralph Trickey
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Still excellent

This is still an excellent book about two young ladies caught up in palace intrigue. If you liked the first one this is just as good.
Beth
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The second in a series, following the girls in their continuing adventures in keeping safe and alive. Lots of intrigue. Good story to read.
Nicki K.
This one was slower than the first, if you ask me, but the ending was so so great.

3.5/5
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Book does not show on my Read shelf. 2 16 May 21, 2015 10:34PM
  • Cobweb Empire (Cobweb Bride Trilogy)
  • No Sooner Met (October Daye, #6.2)
  • Candidate (The Black Mage, #3)
  • Lesbian Nuns: Breaking Silence
  • A Perfect Armenian
  • Fortune Made His Sword
  • Domesday: A Search for the Roots of England
  • Gateway to Reality
  • Acts of Violence
  • The Gathering of the Lost (Wall of Night, #2)
  • Heir of Rengarth (Sword and Circlet, #2)
  • A Flight of Marewings (Wyld Magic, #1)
  • Warp World
  • The Discovery of Socket Greeny (Socket Greeny, #1)
  • Bastial Steel (The Rhythm of Rivalry, #2)
  • Rivers of London: Body Work, #4
  • The Call of the Stone (Stonewiser, #2)
  • The Last Kings Amulet
I am a transplant to the frozen wastes of the midwest, learning to love fried food on a stick, hot dish, and the winters. Having recently bought a house, I am also learning everything from how to wire chandeliers to how best to paint a room. (Also, I spend too much time at Menard's.)

I have been writing since I was old enough to read, and I write on every scrap of paper I can get my hands on. In th
More about Moira Katson

Light & Shadow (3 books)
  • Shadowborn (Light & Shadow, #1)
  • Shadow's End (Light & Shadow, #3)
“From somewhere, I was not sure where, Donnett procured a dressmaker’s dummy, and the two of us began to spar to protect it. I started next to it, or far away, but whatever the case, it was my job to keep him from reaching it. Donnett had no clever line, as Temar did: now you’re dead, and Miriel is dead. Whenever he tapped the mannequin with his sword, he only looked over at me, and then raised an eyebrow. If I did not understand the maneuver he had used, he would explain it. When I did understand it, we went again.” 1 likes
“I think that you’re casting away everything of you. You should feel betrayed that your blood kin would try to kill you, you’re only pretending that you don’t. You’re playing a part, and sometimes you forget what’s you and what’s the other Miriel. You said you would be forsworn if you needed to be, my Lady, but you deny yourself every day for no reason at all.” 1 likes