Start by marking “Larissa” as Want to Read:
Larissa

Larissa

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  62 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
HOOK
A mean, backwater mining planet where the alien Q'rin rule. Taking the wrong side can get you killed and humans have little hope for escape.

LARISSA
A young woman with a talent for sports...and knives. She's beating the aliens at their own particularly harsh game until someone dies. Novy she must flee Hook.

OFF-PLANET
The stakes are higher, the competition even deadlier. H
Mass Market Paperback, 284 pages
Published 1993 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about Larissa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Larissa

Sam
Nov 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-sci-fi, r-roc
Almost gave it 4 stars, but irked by (another) ROC Publishing disingenuous cover. It is a well written and paced story and I enjoyed it. Larissa is a great character, written as a woman of African lineage and short cropped hair, who is also physically very well endowed. She is not the skinny, flat chested white chick on the cover and I thought the true Larissa deserved better!
branewurms
I bought this book when I was 11? 12? years old and I recall my confusion when the main character was described as a dark-skinned black woman. I kept flipping back to the cover, wondering if I'd misinterpreted the picture, or the text, but no. I couldn't figure out why they'd gotten that so wrong. Oh, child me. So innocent. Anyway, yes, this cover is whitewashed.

I remember very little about this book, except that it freaked me right the hell out and I didn't like it and I never finished it. I th
Roger Scanlon
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyable tale of a female human who fights professionally and personally on a planet ruled by human-hating aliens . The main character Larissa is funny, tough and smart and the writing is fast-paced and engaging. Nothing taxing about it, it would be a good beach read. My main criticism is that Ms. Devenport gives slight glimpses of an obviously very intricate alien culture and I would have enjoyed having Larissa (and the reader) learn anything about this culture, but that never happe ...more
Mia
This had a well developed world with interesting alien characters. It reminded me a little of TOTAL RECALL (violence, thrilling-action scenes, sexscapades, political tensions, romance, etc...). The lead was a physically and emotionally strong black woman named Larissa, who fights to overcome the gruesome murder of her mother, the poverty and viciousness of her home plant, and political corruption.

I really enjoyed reading this. It was gritty, raw, and contained characters that were morally ambigu
Ralph McEwen
Feb 19, 2011 rated it liked it
The story in OK but never really gets you involved. I never felt one way or the other towards any of the characters.
J'aime
Jan 05, 2012
Susan
Jul 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Look for my new book out from Tor in May: MEDUSA UPLOADED, available in paper, ebook, and audio.

I've been published under three pen names: as Emily Devenport, I wrote SHADE, LARISSA, SCORPIANNE, EGGHEADS, THE KRONOS CONDITION, and GODHEADS. As Maggy Thomas, I wrote BROKEN TIME, which was nominated for the Philip K. Dick Award. As Lee Hogan I wrote BELARUS and ENEMIES. My books have been published
More about Emily Devenport