Start by marking “False Idols and Other Short Stories” as Want to Read:
False Idols and Other Short Stories

False Idols and Other Short Stories

A clockwork monster, pernicious alien insects, pre-programmed nightmares, ancient feuds, reality-twisting cyborgs, and an army of demonic chickens. Nine science fiction short stories so amazing they will make your temporal lobe spontaneously combust!
Kindle Edition
Published April 2013 by Tony LaRocca

To ask other readers questions about False Idols and Other Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about False Idols and Other Short Stories

Brian Hartman
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
LaRocca has fashioned a collection of sci-fi and fantasy stories that should delight lovers of the genre. Among my favorite stories in the collection are "False Idols", "Flawed Copies", and "Ad Aware".

LaRocca shows an intense attention to detail and word painting, as well as a sense of purpose to his writing that is strong, but not overpowering. He gets his themes across without bludgeoning you with them. Examples of this are "Ad Aware", "Flawed Copies", and "Heaven 2.0", which all touch upon th
Kimberly
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
OK, first, this is my first review, so I'm kinda nervous. Second, I have to confess, I don't really care for short stories and if I'm going to read a sci-fi book, it has to be knock-your-socks-off good for me to finish it, but for personal reasons, I decided to give it a try. I say these things to put into perspective my following words: THIS BOOK WAS FANTASTIC!! I've always been in awe of those people who could so fluently put words to paper and create characters, worlds and plots that complete ...more
Alisha Howard
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I’m usually not a fan of short stories, but each installment was so wildly entertaining and well written I found myself not minding the length.

Every chapter was like watching an episode of The Twilight Zone, thrusting me into a new warped world where aliens, giant insects, time warps and talking dogs exist. By the time I ended the book I was positively giddy!

For those who are true Sci-Fi lovers (I’m talking the “I love the original Dune movie, can give brief synop
Suzanne Casamento
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
LaRocca's world building is out of this world. (Pun intended.) Each short story drew me into a different time, place and crazy situation. But they were all so beautifully delivered with relatable themes of love, loss and fear, that I couldn't help asking myself, "What if?" Bravo!
Wendy
May 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
This was a great collection of stories, I was impressed with the diversity and creativity involved. I don't usually go for short fiction, but this was well worth it!
Matthew Olson
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
It could be better

Some of the stories were great. They had twists and turns that were right up my alley.

This is probably a four star book, but the author did not hire an editor. There were also some places that didn't have enough description and others that had too much. At times there were some realism problems with the way characters reacted as well. If these things were cleaned up, then I would change my review to four stars. To get a fifth star from me would require better plots and charact
Vicki
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I don’t typically gravitate toward Sci-Fi books, but I’m so glad I did in this case. I was totally blown away by this set of stories. Not only is LaRocca adept at bringing you completely into these fantastic worlds, each diverse from the other, but he also immerses you in emotion, and the human condition. These are thoughtful, well-written, powerful stories. I felt like I had actually travelled to another place, and at the conclusion of each story, I had the surreal sensation of coming back into ...more
Heather
Viki Scheldrup
Aug 07, 2015
Deena Wilde
Oct 13, 2015
Tony LaRocca is a carbon-based life form, animator, occasional actor,
U.S. Army veteran, blogger, karaoke crooner, electrician, and chronic
doodler from Basking Ridge, New Jersey. He currently resides with
his family in Queens, New York.