Start by marking “Love Lessons (Love Lessons, #1)” as Want to Read:
Love Lessons (Love Lessons, #1)

Love Lessons (Love Lessons #1)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  4,554 Ratings  ·  713 Reviews
Love doesn’t come with a syllabus.

Kelly Davidson has waited what seems like forever to graduate high school and get out of his small-minded, small town. But when he arrives at Hope University, he quickly realizes finding his Prince Charming isn’t so easy. Everyone here is already out. In fact, Kelly could be the only virgin on campus.

Worst of all, he’s landed the charming,
Published October 1st 2013 by Samhain

To ask other readers questions about Love Lessons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Lessons

Susan
Apr 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-favorites

Wow. I REALLY did NOT expect to LOVE this book THIS much!!!! It was just SO GOOD!

Is it sweet? YES.
Is there angst? Minor. Very minor.
Is there smut? Minor. Very minor.
Is it the typical YA formula? On the surface it might seem it, but it actually goes much deeper. I wouldn’t call this “YA”.
Is it emotional? Yes, at times.
Is it HEA? See question 1.

This is a really different book than I’m used to from Heidi Cullinan. Honestly, the woman knows how to write a HOT story. Love Lessons, however,
Heidi Cullinan
Apr 26, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: wrote-it
This is on audio now, if you hadn't heard that news.

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*Only $0.99 at Amazon right now!! 8/3/15 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CZ8MCG0*

description

Another fabulous read by the always reliable Heidi Cullinan! I mean, what is there not to love about a college freshman virgin from the sticks and a male player reforming his ways?? Truly nothing. And a Disney theme to boot?? Yes please!!

Clearly this book had some of my favorite tropes and it delivered in a big way. I was needed something light to pick me up and this good old-fashioned M/M sappy romance did the trick! V
* Meli Mel *

♥ ♥ ♥ 4 STARS ♥ ♥ ♥

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

"Sometimes they never do, and that’s a risk we take. But sometimes what they need most is to see us sitting still, patient, waiting. To understand that we’re going to be there no matter what, that we’re the ones who are always sitting there waiting, loyal, loving. Sometimes that’s more powerful than any words.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

All Walter Lucas wants is to live off campus. He is known as a
Vio
DNF 40%
Jumping for cover, sorry guys. Another buddy read gone bust, only this time I was wise enough to quit while I was ahead. Love Lessons will be that other book that everyone loved but me. Picky, fussy, grumpy or moody take your pick. My patience seems to be wearing thin lately, I was bored and exasperated, its a very slow moving story. It also didn't help that one of the characters Walter annoyed me, another strike. Sugar is all well and good but white death is too much.:( Yes, I did skim t
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Pre-ordered and a big thank you to Samhain's wonderful customer service that allows me to forget about the book until a nice email is in my inbox reminding me that it's here ! :D
And I'm going to Buddy read this with Lucy! :)

OK, first update Samhain didn't send me an email this time. Not good, here I am praising them left, right and center and they don't send me an email. *sadz*

4.5*

Now to the book!
Short version I loved it . I am a sucker for sappy and sweet and Disney HEA! And this one delivere
Shelley
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars

Okay, please don't hate me all you Heidi fans.

This was okay, but dear lord was it boring, after 60% I was so bored, bored, BOOOORED!

Everything was Disney movies and college politics and dull, dreary, everyday draaaahhhma.

I won't even mention the epilogue (well I am, but I'm not, if you know what I mean) because Heidi likes her OTT happy endings, but that's not what I'm moaning about. It just ... ends, no climax, no reveal if you like, just ...oh, we'll be fine and then the OTT epilog
Christina Marie
I apologize in advance; this book has turned me into a giddy schoolgirl. I’ll try my hardest not to squee.

Have you ever been so excited for a book that you were nervous to the point of sweaty palms? Have you experienced that fear of disappointment? Hesitated to read something you really wanted to since you knew that it would be devastating if it didn’t fulfill expectations, because you were so ridiculously looking forward to enjoying the hell out of it? NOT A PROBLEM HERE!

The blurb had me convin
Mandapanda
Apr 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Review: Love Lessons A contemporary romance about gay Casanova, Walter, and his new room-mate, the idealistic and innocent Kelly. This book starts out really well. Walter's revolving-door policy with men comes to an abrupt halt as he becomes obsessed with Kelly and the dynamic between the two guys causes a lot of yummy sexual tension.

About halfway through the guys get together and from then the story slows right down and concentrates mostly on Walter's emotional problems. As with a few of this
Dan C.
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Once again, I got the first peek at this book. It is, without a doubt, my favorite thing my wife has written. It pushed all the right buttons and made me feel all warm and gooey inside. You all better pray October gets here quickly. :)
Macky
Well what a delightful read that was. I never doubted this one because it had so many things going for it from the word go. It's by Heidi Cullinan so that's a given. Its set in college.I love college stories. At this moment in time the reviews average 4.3 and best of all its MC's are made up of a gorgeous shy, Disney loving, allergy ridden virgin and an equally good looking, popular, devil may care, anti relationship, walking sex magnet Mr Popular... Opposites attract at its best, so the thought ...more
Kaje Harper
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved Walter - he's a guy who's working so hard to keep life running smoothly, not just for himself but for everyone he cares about. His depressed, moody mother back home. His favorite professor. And when he's assigned to room with the from-a-small-Minnesota-town freshmen, Kelly, that quickly includes his new roommate.

Kelly is a good guy who's a bit overwhelmed by the transition to college, and all the things he thought it would be and isn't, including a dorm with disdainful jocks, and food t
Amy
All the stars for Walter and Kelly! I absolutely LOVED this story! Walter and Kelly were the perfect couple. They were both so freaking cute. Walter is a reformed manwhore who has no interest in relationships. And Kelly is a Disney fanatic looking for true love and a happily ever after. Fate pairs them together as roommates. I loved the slow build of their relationship. And I loved the epilogue! Cannot wait to read Fever Pitch!!
Elsa Bravante
DNF 20%, aburrido y pretencioso. El tema me encanta, el libro, no.
MLE
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, on-my-kindle
My friend has been on me forever to read these, but I was having trouble getting into it. Kelly just seemed too pure, and innocent, and Walter like too much of a player. I was pleasantly surprised once I got passed the initial bit how much these characters grew, and changed. I liked that Kelly had strong ideas, and a love of Disney movies, but he was so much more than that. I liked that they had to learn to understand each other, and that it was a story about them both growing, and learning abou ...more
Jenni Lea
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it

This book was way different than any other book I have read by this author. It was very sweet and had a YA or NA feel to it. While I liked the story and I felt it was well written, it is not a favorite of mine. I think I prefer the main characters to be quite a bit older and more seasoned. It was still a great story although very, very long.

3.5 stars rounded up to 4
Lilia Ford
The Case of Tangled v. Fight Club

This book was yet another reminder of why Heidi Cullinan is one of my favorite M/M authors. I read it right after reading Special Delivery, which is deliciously filthy, so I was a bit worried by the college setting and the “warning” that Love Lessons would be less, shall we say, sexplicit, than her other books. The anxiety ramped up a bit during the opening chapters because of the rom/com friendly set-up: shy, freshman virgin is forced to room with the “campus Ca
Lenore
This is story is okay if you're into cute, allergy-ridden virgins who hail from the arse end of nowhere and lust after Disney characters.

Okay. No. Seriously. This was nice. The writing was very good and the line editing was stellar. I've realised that's why I keep coming back to Heidi Cullinan's books—because in many technical aspects they are fantastic.

This book started out funny and I liked Walter all right. Then at around 25% I learnt Kelly was a Disney fanboi and lusted after cartoon charact
Alice
Aug 22, 2013 rated it liked it
This was an adorably sweet book with possibly the cheesiest ending I have ever read. Loved it! The book, not the ending! The ending was a little ott for my tastes.

Gooey fluff haters stay *far* away! Sap lovers read it and enjoy.
Sara
There is a beauty in reading. Not only do we as readers get a chance to meet new characters and to get lost in their story but every reader experiences a book differently. Some view it simply as a voyeur, watching the players go about their script from beginning to end and some get immersed in the story as if it were actually happening. Me? I am a part of the latter; I become one with the story. The characters become real and I experience everything with them. Sometimes I feel the new of their s ...more
R * A Reader Obsessed *
Apparently I'm a total sap, and I'm not going to apologize for loving the sentimental romance that this was. It must be the college setting and the setup of the shy virgin who just can't help but fall in love with the notorious player, slowly winning over his heart. Though this is a classic NA trope we've all read many times before, Cullinan executes this quite brilliantly.

So yes, this was a perfect blend of everything I like in a romance. You've got well balanced push pull, crazy jealousy, gut
Pjm12
I found the tone and style worked absolutely perfectly for me. We wander back and forth between the two boys' points of view: Kelly's idealised & optimistic outlook, and Walter's jaded yet generous one. They don't clash so much as mesh. And interlock. And fit together. Eventually. Once Kelly overcomes his shyness and Walter lets down his guard.

The use of Disney films and a college philosophy club to highlight moral and economic issues involving family, jobs and abandonment is incorporated cl
¸. • * ° *❧Gwendolyn❧°**★°**★
Aww, so sweet!

Yes, that sounds like something Kelly would say. And, gosh did I love their cuddling. why I liked this read so much....l

Gosh, let me tell you why?

Plain and simple this book was MAGICAL! And, it made me happy.
Gosh, I love the name Walt, it reminded me of Walt Disney ....which was the theme of this book. I loved seeing how Heidi Cullinan built her world around this theme. It was pretty AWESOME to read.

But, what I loved most.......

I loved Kelly & Walt they are truly one of th
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***3.5 Stars***

This was a sweet love story.

Kelly was a small town, newly out, romantic dreamer. He was obsessed with Disney movies and based his relationship goals on those idyllic romances and happily ever afters. Walter was his polar opposite. He avoided romance and was cynical about relationships. Deep rooted abandonment issues only aided him in keeping romance at a distance.

"I want the full package. I want to meet someone at a restaurant and wonder if we'll kiss at the end of the night. I
Tully Vincent
Oct 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Lovely well-written, sweet, slightly angsty, slow-developing romance. Enjoyable book which I listened to on audio. Narrator did a nice job. Totally adorable ending. But...this one had me teary for the wrong reasons. I think my reaction to it might have been a bit like Walter's to watching Tangled.
Sort of a bit spoiler... (view spoiler)
Isabel
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS BOOK!!! It is romantic, sweet, emotional and it is like a fairy tail with two princes charming!

Kelly and Walter are absolutely beautifully together, not only as lovers but also as friends... loyal friends... I've felt a little anguished in the first part of the book, watching the beggining of their love but also the denial of their feelings... until that magnificent kiss, I wasn't relaxed...

Definitly a book to read again!!!

photo 673569ec-d2b3-456c-b383-05b0c9391f87_zpsd28d2596.jpg

I would like to read more about Kelly and Walter... I'm wond
Eva
Oct 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ahhhhh... I loved it.

Sappy and sweet and Disney and everything!

Even though watching a Disney movie together and holding him close while they slept had been better than any sex Walter had ever had in his life.

This book is a slow growing sweet romance but it packs an extreme punch. While sweet it was so tender, touching and detailed... Beautiful.

“Because you matter.” Walter ducked his head and nuzzled Kelly’s ear, but it wasn’t sexy. More needy, insecure. “You matter so much, Kelly."

*Si
Tina
Aug 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance

3,5 stars.

Love Lessons is about two young men who know they love each other but they have to discover this slowly and find out if their love has a future.

Kelly is just starting his freshman year of college and is for the first time really coming out. And he has a pile of issues to deal with. He is allergic to just about everything and has to live in a specific dorm in order to make sure that he doesn't have an allergic reaction. Of all people he gets the campus Casanova as his roommate in a room
Debra
I'm giving this one a 3.5.

The book was enjoyable, the writing good and I liked the romance. The roommates/friends to lovers was done very well. Experienced Walter and virginal Kelly made a good opposites attract couple. I enjoyed the tension and build up to their romance.

As far as storylines go, it was typical new adult fare with the two finding their way in a college that does not quite live up to the image it projects (not sure really why anyone chooses that school) and struggling with famil
Lauraadriana
A crazy little thing called love happened to Walter Lucas…Actually, his name was Kelly Davidson, he had like a million food allergies and an intense (and kind of weird) passion for Disney movies happily ever afters. Yes, Kelly was a little different from what Walter usually went for (skanks!), but he was just what Walter needed to finally give his heart a chance at love.

This is maybe the sweetest book I’ve read by Heidi Cullinan, and that’s saying a lot since she’s given me much awesomeness to r
The Backlot Gay B...: Love Lessons by Heidi Cullinan 7 48 Feb 03, 2014 06:57PM
Ask Heidi Cullinan: Love Lessons 42 74 Oct 08, 2013 05:19PM
  • Christmas Kitsch
  • Blame It on the Mistletoe
  • Mark Cooper versus America (Prescott College, #1)
  • Deep in the Count
  • Louder Than Sirens, Louder Than Bells
  • Too Stupid to Live (Romancelandia, #1)
  • Catch My Breath
  • Junk (The Bristol Collection, #1)
  • Chase the Storm
  • The Art of Breathing (Bear, Otter, and the Kid, #3)
  • Social Skills
  • Kieran & Drew
  • My Summer of Wes (Wes & Mal, #1)
  • The Truth About Riley
  • Not Just Friends
Heidi Cullinan has always enjoyed a good love story, provided it has a happy ending. Proud to be from the first Midwestern state with full marriage equality, Heidi is a vocal advocate for LGBT rights. She writes positive-outcome romances for LGBT characters struggling against insurmountable odds because she believes there’s no such thing as too much happy ever after. When Heidi isn't writing, she ...more
More about Heidi Cullinan

Love Lessons (3 books)
  • Fever Pitch (Love Lessons, #2)
  • Lonely Hearts (Love Lessons, #3)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Pleasures (Pleasures, #2)
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Some Kind of Hero (Troubleshooters, #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $1.99
“Sometimes the ones we love are like butterflies, flitting all over, and we have to sit and wait patiently for them to land. Sometimes they never do, and that’s a risk we take. But sometimes what they need most is to see us sitting still, patient, waiting. To understand that we’re going to be there no matter what, that we’re the ones who are always sitting there waiting, loyal, loving. Sometimes that’s more powerful than any words.” 29 likes
“Kill them with kindness and if that didn't work, use a shotgun” 7 likes