Start by marking “The Novellas” as Want to Read:
The Novellas

The Novellas

An omnibus collection of four novellas by Bram Stoker Award-winning author Kealan Patrick Burke (Kin, The Turtle Boy).

Featured in this book are:

THE TENT

The perfect getaway...

The perfect place to hide...

Hocking Hills, Ohio is an oasis for campers, hikers, nature enthusiasts, and for those who just want to get away and lose themselves in the wild.

And as long as you follow yo
Published April 24th 2013 by Elderlemon Press (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Novellas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Novellas

Mark Matthews
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Tent, Midlisters, my two favorite, but the whole thing is an incredible collection and Kealan has done us a favor by grouping them together as one. I read Burke not just for enjoyment, but for writing instruction, for he writes the best kind of horror, starting with his plots, but most importantly, his characters. He writes characters dark, deep, and rich, and his prose does nothing less than sews the reader up in their skin and lets us take them for a ride. His horror is literary, entertain ...more
Jon Recluse
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A disquieting quartet of novellas that amply display Mr. Burke's awesome talent and incredible range. A fine traditionalist, he knows the terrain like a seasoned guide, but never fails to surprise the reader on these literary excursions. Because he never takes the road less traveled in his tales. He dives into the thickets and cuts his own path, and every sojourn into his literary woods is an adventure you'll always remember. Just don't let him loan you a tent.....

Highly recommended.
Andi Rawson
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: plan-to-read

The Novellas are, unsurprisingly, a collection of four of KPB's novellas. Since I read his novel Kin (if you haven't read it, go do that now) I have proceeded to devour everything I can get my hands on by Mr. Burke.

The Tent: The first story in this collection was my favorite. An unhappy couple and their teenage son go camping in the woods in an attempt to rekindle a crumbling marriage and reinforce the family bond. When they end up lost in the woods, their camping trip turns into anythi
Kimberly
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Four novellas in one book, by one spectacular author! I can honestly say that I loved everyone of them... The breakdown:
THE TENT: I bought and reviewed this one separately--solid 5 star read.

YOU IN? Great tension and atmosphere throughout! My only "problem", was that I thought the end should have had a little more to it after the tremendous build up. After following up with the author, another possibility was brought up which had me thinking about it almost incessantly for a while. Can't go wron
Bandit
Jun 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Every time I read Burke, I'm struck anew by just how good he is of a writer. This collection of four novellas is an terrific example of that. Somewhat of a mixed bag thematically, creature feature, two very different haunted/messed up houses and a crime story. First one was great, very creepy, second and third impressive but lacked a sympathetic protagonist, particularly the third, last story was a star. Very Ketchumeque (Jack Ketchum actually provides foreword for it), it's a genre writer's per ...more
Lars (theatretenor) Skaar
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
KPB does it again

The Midlister is worth the price of admission alone! Incredible. All four Novellas are great though! Pick it up now!

Reeda Booke
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, anthologies
4 creepy tales! I really loved The Tent and Midlisters the best. You can't go wrong with Mr. Burke!
Rob Twinem
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another great collection by KPB. To me the two outstanding stories are The Tent and Midlisters and I reviewed The Tent sometime ago awarding it 5 stars.
Julia
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
A collection of 4 novellas showcasing a collection of horrors.

The Tent - super cool story of a family falling apart on a camping trip. This is a classic monster type horror, and it went places I did not expect it to go. I enjoyed this very much.

You In? - for me, the weakest one in the bunch. The characters did not seem as fully developed and truthfully I didn't care much what happened to the main character. A ghost story.

Seldom Seen in August - I liked the premise of this story. And bad guys get
Pierre
Kealan Patrick Burke's collection of novellas starts with a bang with the excellent The Tent and ends with a brilliant story that every author who has ever imagined a death in a story (whether it is in a clever short story, novella, novel, or a movie script) should read. Saying any more than that would be saying too much. Read it, whether you are an author or not. It is I am sure a common and persistent fear!
Beth
Aug 19, 2014 marked it as to-read
FREE ON AMAZON 19/08/2014
Lauren
Nov 01, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. That seems like such a low rating from me for a book by Kealan Patrick Burke! I really did enjoy this collection of four novellas but I didn't LOVE them as much as others. Let me explain...
I skipped The Tent because I actually read it only about a week ago as a stand alone publication. I really liked it! It was creepy and weird and totally Burke. But because I didn't read it in this collection, I didn't factor it in to my overall rating.

I thought You In? was a great ghost story. In f
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Tent: four stars.
Man I’m really finding all the great camping in the woods stories, and they’re really making me never want to go camping again. This short story has one of my favorite things...MONSTERS!
You In?: two stars.
I wasn’t really feeling this story. I liked the setting of the old haunted Inn, but the ghosts just didn’t creep me out this time and the ending left me feeling meh.
Seldom Seen In August: five stars.
This story was like an episode of Black Mirror! I loved the mix of Sci
Luke Walker
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great collection of long stories - The Tent and Midlisters being the highlights for me if only because neither went in a direction I expected. If you're new to Burke, this is a good place to start.
John Copeland
Aug 01, 2013 rated it liked it
All four of the stories had great writing and they all started off brilliantly. Unfortunately, I found that they all kind of fizzled out at the end, leaving me unsatisfied.

The Tent: 3 stars. A gripping read that loses steam when the titular tent appears.

You Inn?: 2 stars. Starts well and builds tension perfectly until the end.

Seldom Seen in August: 3 Stars. Yet again, a great start and the main character is well written. Stars off as a criminal on the run then as more of his character is reveale
Jason Parent
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Since I reviewed each story individually, I'll be brief. In order of rank, here are the stories:

Midlisters - 5+ stars

The Tent - 4-4.5 stars

Seldom Seen in August - 4 stars

You In? - 2 Stars

As you can see, I didn't really care for You In, but the other three more than make up for it. Using my handy dandy comp calculator and giving The Tent 4.25 stars, I get and average of 3.81 stars, which will definitely be rounded up for the greatness that is Midlisters.

Please check out my review of each story f
Barry Simiana
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A very good read. Two stories with the theme of redemption that is quickly hijacked to somewhere a lot less comfortable, a story about a man who needs to seek redemption but enjoys his work a little too much and an xcellent tale of revenge ordered but not being served as requested. Lots to love here.
Aaron Nash
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ive already read midlisters before but rest assured that is also a 5 star read.

The tent is such a cool story with a great original concept and monster. The scene involving the actual tent itself is one of the greatest i have read. 5 stars.

You in, is a pretty creepy ghost story with an addicted gambler at its core. Although the ending leaves a little to be desired, the build up is very well done. 3 stars.

Seldom seen in August, the best of the bunch, is a superb headfuck in the best possible wa
Rob
Oct 28, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 My first foray into Burke’s writing and gotta say it was most enjoyable. 2 solid stories sandwiched in between a good and a not so good one.
1. The Tent: 5/5 - Camping checklist: (a) Be prepared (fail) (b) Know your surroundings / don’t get lost (fail) (c) Stay safe (utter failure). Excellent character development for a novella. This was a doozy.
2. You In?: 2/5 - Lame ghost story.
3. Seldom Seen in August: 4/5 - An examination into the design of a unique type of criminal rehabilitation.
4. The
Eric
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really really enjoyable horror! Burke is an easy read with thought provoking twists. Will absolutely read more.
Laertes
My verdicts for the individual novellas:

The Tent: 3 stars
Seldom Seen in August ☆☆☆☆☆
Midlisters ☆☆☆☆☆
Ós Camacho
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Definitely i will look for more of KPB, 4 solid stories about murder, aliens and ghosts.
The tent and midlisters were my favourites, but not to forget the other 2
Baker St Shelves
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another good anthology featuring four novellas. Each of them has a nice eerie element that keeps you on suspense. Nicely written and goes at a smooth pace that keeps you engaged.
Martin Price
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I could take the standard route and review this collection of novellas from front to back, detailing each one and how I felt about them individually. I'm not going to do that. All right, I will make an exception with the "The Tent". If you want an original scary story, then this is it. Depending on your thresholds, you may even wish to take it along with you on your next camping trip...or maybe not. Is sleep important to you? Then don't take it. You have been warned. So that's it - that is my re ...more
K.
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful collection. A must for every fan! This was just my kind of book, and I was eager to return to it after work. Not every book incites you to "pick it up quickly ..." Few authors can create that kind of reality - with beautiful prose -, giving readers the feeling they are right there on that mountain in that storm (The Tent).

Especially noteworthy in my opinion is how the author highlights his characters' strengths and weaknesses gently but firmly (The Tent). The Midlisters was my favorite
Aurora
Aug 08, 2013 rated it liked it
As much as I hate to say anything negative about KPB, I had to slog my way through to the end of this collection. The emo tone started out heavy in the first story and smothered everything in emo gravy the whole way through. Add to that the problem that this story collection was written oh, circa 2012? while the treatment of women in the storied had a 1950's mentality to it. A lot of "Oh geez women are so caring and supportive and look at them cook dinner" with no female character actually -doin ...more
Jennifer Longo
Nov 15, 2015 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the author's creative use of imagery and metaphor, but the 1st two stories were not even close to scary, and I did not find them so intriguing. The final two are better but end abruptly. I suppose that's what typically happens in novellas. I guess the good part is that the investment is short and you are onto the next. Burke has a King sense of dark humor--his inspiration can be felt throughout the work. At times it felt a little too mimicky and I wondered if the last story may ...more
Nev Murray
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
4 novellas all in one purchase. What's better is they are all written by Kealan Patrick Burke. This includes his new novella The Tent, You in?, the superb Midlisters (worth a buy for this alone) and what has just become one of my all time favs Seldom Seen In August. Fantastic as always.

This review was written before I started to take my reviewing seriously. I would need to re-read the book to give it a serious and fair review so the above review was what I posted at the time.
Donald
Sep 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, shorts, kindle
Four novellas including: The Tent, You In?, Seldom Seen In August, and Midlisters.

These tales are horror, sure. But they aren't gushing blood. These'll make you wonder. These'll make you think. You may even ponder beyond the story being told. I think all of these could be candidates for Twilight Zone episodes, if such a thing were to be resurrected.
Book Talk with K...: News 136 70 Jun 05, 2014 11:55AM

• Arboreatum
  • Bay's End
  • Scraping the Bone: Ten Dark Tales
  • Clockwork Dolls
  • Night Terrors (Savage Species, #1)
  • I'm Not Sam
  • When We Join Jesus In Hell
  • Darling
  • Last of the Albatwitches
  • Ugly As Sin
  • Nightmare Man
  • The Frenzy Way (The Frenzy Wolves, #1)
  • Faint of Heart
  • Snow Day
Born and raised in a small harbor town in the south of Ireland, Kealan Patrick Burke knew from a very early age that he was going to be a horror writer. The combination of an ancient locale, a horror-loving mother, and a family full of storytellers, made it inevitable that he would end up telling stories for a living. Since those formative years, he has written five novels, over a hundred short st ...more