Start by marking “Eyes on Target: Inside Stories from the Brotherhood of the U.S. Navy SEALs” as Want to Read:
Eyes on Target: Inside Stories from the Brotherhood of the U.S. Navy SEALs

Eyes on Target: Inside Stories from the Brotherhood of the U.S. Navy SEALs

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  316 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Told through the eyes of current and former Navy SEALs, EYES ON TARGET is an inside account of some of the most harrowing missions in American history-including the mission to kill Osama bin Laden and the mission that wasn't, the deadly attack on the US diplomatic outpost in Benghazi where a retired SEAL sniper with a small team held off one hundred terrorists while his re ...more
Published February 25th 2014 by Center Street (first published December 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Eyes on Target, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eyes on Target

Casey Hampton
Eyes On Target provides a brief overview of the U.S. Navy SEALS. From its inception to present-day, this book loosely discusses past and present missions, training, and the bureaucratic difficulties within our political landscape.

The subject is interesting. The content felt abridged. This is a short book, too short. When I finished, I wasn't satisfied, but I was ready to be done. There's a tad too much political lecturing. I understand the critical relevance of politics to the subject, but this
ElaineY
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK; FEBRUARY 11, 2016
Narrator: Holter Graham

This will probably be the last non-fiction book I read on Special Ops warriors. I will stick to fiction from now on because in fiction, my heroes don't die and when they are outnumbered and outgunned and their government won't send in the cavalry, there is always someone who will, and who does.

And Navy SEALs, Delta Force guys should never be named in public or their missions made public. I want to only read about them as fiction, for t
James
Jun 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
Overall Rating: Just skip this book!

Scott McEwen burst onto the scene after Coauthoring "American Sniper" with Chris Kyle and has been writing his "Sniper Elite" series since, which I will concede are entertaining, but perhaps he should stick with writing fiction rather then military history. This entry into military naartive seems to be an attempt to capitalize on that fame. While I am not familiar with Richard Miniter, his credentials would lead me to expect much more from this book the is del
Mark
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: military
I gave this book 5 stars for the chapters that Mr. McEwen dedicated to Benghazi. He outlines what went wrong. He also proposes 5 VIABLE options, based on assets at the disposal of the United stated, that could have altered the tragic outcome that will be a black eye in our history.
Wyatt Martens
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Scott McEwen is a fantastic military writer. In his book "Eves on Target" he describes life as a Navy SEAl. In this book, he speaks about the training, operations, and overall brother hood of the U.S. Navy SEALs. This book will open your eyes to the reality that these great men are facing everyday and give you an idea of the mental strength that a SEAL operator has. This book was very interesting for me because I enjoy war and history books. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoyes read ...more
Bob Mehlhoff
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Pretty good; there are better, more detailed books about SEALS and their training.

The entire final 1/3 of the book is devoted to the 9/11 2012 terrorist attacks on the US consular station in Benghazi, Libya. The authors are highly critical of the Obama administration's response with an in-depth analysis of the timetable of events and suggesting several military responses which were NOT used. The numerous appendices detail the after-analysis of the Obama administration's response and the investig
Eric tennar
Good read

Great book with a lot team history in it. Definition of a seal is answered. If you like the seals and their stories you have to read.
Ed
Nov 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
Such a love letter to the seals that it was hard to take seriously.
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
"In times of war or uncertainty there is a special breed of warrior ready to answer our Nation's call. A common man with uncommon desire to succeed.

Forged by adversity, he stands alongside America's finest special operations forces to serve his country, the American people, and protect their way of life.

Brave men have fought and died building the proud tradition and feared reputation that I am bound to uphold. In the worst of conditions, the legacy of my teammates steadies my resolve and silen
Joe Oaster
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, well researched and well told. Gives some good insights as to the training, culture and major missions of this elite group of warriors.
P.e. lolo
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is more than a military book. I described this book as part history of the Navy Seals and part failure of our government to protect men they send to foreign countries, more later. The first part of this book goes into some of the history of the Navy Seals, UDT, and Frogmen. The last two were what I had heard stories about. Growing up with a father who served in WWII and then growing up in a military town I would hear stories of these men who would actually had been on the beach before the s ...more
Curtis
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book focuses on the birth and events that the Navy SEALs had to deal with from vietnam era to the raid of Osama Bin Laden. It follows an accurate chronological timeline that utilizes very specific details on how the Navy SEALs came into the wars they now fight. Eyes on Target also really focuses on brotherhood and never giving up, one must work his hardest to achieve one’s goal. Without a strong will and hard work to achieve your goal, you will fail but when accompanied by your brothers wi ...more
R Jeff Pate
May 18, 2016 rated it liked it
What I liked:
I went into this book not knowing very much about the Seals. However, once I started reading the book I found it hard to put down up until the later chapters.
The authors did a nice job of displaying an overview of the Seals history, ranging from the beginning days of the Frogmen to the recent heroic story of the two Navy Seals who took their last stand at Benghazi.
They also expanded their story in pointing out several seals throughout the book, describing where they came from,
Alex
Poorly written and sensationalist

I've always been intrigued by the SEALs and bought this book because it promised an inside look. Instead I got very poorly written, soap box name-calling.

The authors switch tense for no reason at all, often in he same paragraph. One moment you're reading the book in past tense and then, all of a sudden, it switches to present tense for 3 sentences, then back to past tense. This is not done for effect, it's just bad writing.

Then there's the tone. The authors say
Tracy Dougherty
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very well researched and extremely real. Tough read both technique and subject matter. As much as we all know that men go to war or volunteer their lives for our freedoms, it is always hard to hear/read (as it should be) of the sacrifice they make; the lives that are lost. The story is more about Benghazi and the mishandling of the security situation there, the timeline of events leading up to and following the attack and a very thorough chronology of what is being done to hold someone (Hillary ...more
Maria
Short history of the US Navy SEALs pulled from interview material and declassified material.

Why I started it: I'm on a SEAL kick and this was published recently.

Why I finished this book: The authors seemed balanced about their political/history on the stuff were the material has been declassified and it was fascinating if short. The second half of the book is the more recent missions, triumphs and tragedies. The authors talked about what they could but I felt more preached to about political iss
Ausy
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a book about the start of the navy SEALs and why they were started. The book goes into detail about the importance of the SEALs. The book also depicts the life of the seals and the missions the SEALs did throughout American history. The book always promotes the heroism of the SEALs and there missions.
Carolington
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amazing insight into the lives of our brave Navy SEALs and how they get things done -- no excuses. Loved the Drago's War chapter. The timeline on Benghazi was also very informative -- our government is still not being completely truthful with us. We should never forget the heroes that have sacrificed so much for our country.
Brent Phillips
A great read if you like military books, are a fan of Scott McEwen's work or are interested in the Navy SEALS and their history. Be Warned: a good portion of the book focuses on Benghazi so if you are very knowledgable about what happened you might not.get as much out of the book. For those that don't know very much about what happened in Benghazi it will be very eye opening.
Linda
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great info which confirms several other sources in my quest to learn more about Benghazi attacks Nov 21, 2012. The books are better but it was the movie that sent me digging for more information.
My quest continues
Ann
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a great book, especially for people interested in the military life style. A Good overall view of the men who serve in the Navy Seals. An interesting insight to their missions and the lives both private and service. I'm not much of a non-fiction reader but this was a good pick.
Noah W
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Good book that explores some of the early "pirate" legacy of the SEALs. It also explains home one of the primary thought processes that drives a SEAL's actions, the "Threat/No threat" evaluation method. Very helpful insight.
Sam
I thought I won't be able to finish it. Somehow I managed it.

To zla ksiazka byla. :D Napisana przez fana, w sensacyjnym tonie, i sie ciagle powtarzaly informacje. Z tego co slyszalem to polski tlumacz najwyrazniej poprawil bledy merytoryczne w uzbrojeniu etc.
Andrea Kerr
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thought it was going to be historical fiction but was intrigued by informative and in-depth analysis of SEALs role, training, and political ramifications on their ability to perform their missions.
Jen Labato
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
This was a hard book for me to get through. Although very factual, it did not hold my interest.
Annie Chateauneuf
Oct 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Seemed a little biased!
Kay
Loved it!
Ramsey Abbott
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. It gives a very good insight to Naval Special Warfare and its history.
Ben
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enlightening

I have always held the SEALs as he's and admired their courage. This book make one realize just what sacrifices they make so we can enjoy our freedom.
Jeff
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!

Very eye opening and riveting. Could not put it down once I started. Great book for anyone that supports our troops.
  • Battle Ready: Memoir of a SEAL Warrior Medic
  • Always Faithful, Always Forward: The Forging of a Special Operations Marine
  • Damn Few: Making the Modern SEAL Warrior
  • SEAL Target Geronimo: The Inside Story of the Mission to Kill Osama bin Laden
  • Level Zero Heroes: The Story of U.S. Marine Special Operations in Bala Murghab, Afghanistan
  • Aliens in the Backyard
  • When the Dancing Stopped: The Real Story of the Morro Castle Disaster and Its Deadly Wake
  • Lords of the Sky: Fighter Pilots and Air Combat, from the Red Baron to the F-16
  • Toni Tennille: A Memoir
  • Inside SEAL Team Six: My Life and Missions with America's Elite Warriors
  • The Last Rescue: How Faith and Love Saved a Navy SEAL Sniper
  • The Other Side of History: Daily Life in the Ancient World
  • Navy SEAL Sniper: An Intimate Look at the Sniper of the 21st Century
  • The Spy's Son: The True Story of the Highest-Ranking CIA Officer Ever Convicted of Espionage and the Son He Trained to Spy for Russia
  • American Warrior: The True Story of a Legendary Ranger
  • Forensic History: Crimes, Frauds, and Scandals
  • Medical School for Everyone: Grand Rounds Cases (Great Courses #1977)
  • Service: A Navy SEAL at War
Scott McEwen is a trial attorney in San Diego, California. He grew up in the mountains of Eastern Oregon where he became an Eagle Scout; hiking, fishing, and hunting at every opportunity presented. He obtained his undergraduate degree in Oregon and thereafter studied and worked extensively in London, England. Scott works with and provides support for several military charitable organizations, incl ...more
More about Scott McEwen...
“because the ends justified the means. Drago’s” 1 likes