Start by marking “Boy Scout Handbook” as Want to Read:
Boy Scout Handbook

Boy Scout Handbook

3.86  ·  Rating Details ·  2,236 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews

The original Boy Scouts Handbook standardized American scouting and emphasized the virtues and qualifications for scouting, delineating what the American Boy Scouts declared was needed to be a “well-developed, well-informed boy.” The book includes information on the organization of scouting, signs and signaling, camping, scouting games, and a description of several scoutin

Paperback
Published November 1st 1998 by Boy Scouts of America (first published 1911)

To ask other readers questions about Boy Scout Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boy Scout Handbook

Jon
Apr 25, 2017 Jon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is a fantastic book full of useful practical information
Eric
Aug 04, 2014 Eric rated it did not like it
It is sinful to maintain an homophobia while trout-fishing in the nude.
Debbie Tabb
Jul 01, 2012 Debbie Tabb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
Item Title: Boy Scout Handbook (The Centennial Edition)

Item Call Number: HS3313 .B69 2009 ISBN- 978-0839531029
Reviewed in: LME 508

Boy scout handbook. (12th ed.).(2010).Irving, TX: Boy Scouts of America.

Relevance and Relationship—
Spiral bound, best for remaining open while consulting for information, is $ 14.99. This Boy Scout handbook is the Centennial edition and contains references to original methods used in Scouting alongside advances made in the 100 years of its existence.

Purpose:—
The inf
Adam Bruski
Apr 20, 2013 Adam Bruski rated it really liked it
I got the idea to read this from a post on the Art of Manliness website. It is a fascinating mix of the outdated and timeless. While discussions of "Indian braves" make the book seem out of touch with modern sensibilities, the discussions of service and patriotism ring as true today as ever. The advertisements in the book are a fascinating time capsule as well.
Alex Burk
Apr 05, 2009 Alex Burk rated it did not like it
I can now start fires
Shanley Pedro
Dec 13, 2007 Shanley Pedro rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: it complicated
holla.

i was a member of an inner city scout troop, wouldnt change that for the world. respect the issues of the scouts in a broader sense, but cant deny what i learned. this book has touchstones on life, respect, honor, honesty, faith in humanity, survival, endurance, service, and tollerance. if more people knew what was in this book, the world would be a better place. i see how the scouts has made bad decisions and involved itself in biggotry from a company standpoint, but that detracts from t
Ray Davis
This book was very interesting. As a boy scout in reality, some of the requirements are the same, and some of them aren't. I can see, that the requirements get harder. Also, this book is interesting, and i suggest you to read the old requirements, and compare of how it was then, and how it is different now.
Phillip
Jan 26, 2012 Phillip rated it it was amazing
Ah, yes. The Boy Scout Handbook Some years they are wonderful, other years the members believe the editors have lost their way.

But, some of my best memories are associated with being a Boy Scout leader. This book is an important part of instruction to teach young people to grow into good, healthy citizens.
John Yelverton
Apr 04, 2015 John Yelverton rated it it was amazing
This book is an essential guide toward understanding wilderness survival as well as pre-military training and life training in general.
Professor
Sep 04, 2015 Professor rated it really liked it
I think I enjoyed reading this more than actually being in scouts.
Wendy Arnhart
Boy Scout Handbook. (2016). USA: Boy Scouts of America.

Citation by: Wendy Arnhart

Type of Reference: Handbook

Call Number: j 369.43 H649

Content/Scope: A handbook targeted to ten and a half to seventeen year-old boys who desire to become Boy Scouts. Contents include the basics of Boy Scouting including organization, Scout law, signs of a Scout, badges, uniform and equipment, camping, adventures, animals, weather, sign language, first aid, patriotism, family, growth in scouting to Eagle Scout-in sho
Tom
Sep 24, 2015 Tom rated it it was ok
The second half of this book seems to be written in a more lyrical style. It was as if the author became more concerned with his readers becoming put-off with how narrow minded he was treating his subject matter. The writing prose continues to improve as the end draws closer.

The first half was very difficult to get past due mainly to its harsh, abrupt, spiteful, and the seemingly endless, over and over again, repetition of the same limited topics. Just how many times and ways in one book can the
Mohammad Ali Abedi
I didn’t read this book word by word, but I did scan through it and read the outline of the different chapters. There is no reason for me to read a book like this except to finish through a list I have given myself, but there is something important for me in a book like this. Boy Scouts is an idea that is not really available in every country, but the concept of having an organization for young boys (and girls) is something that is repeated in a lot of places.

The reason it interests me to some d
Tiffany Morgan
Apr 24, 2016 Tiffany Morgan marked it as to-read
Boy Scouts of America. (2010). The boy scout handbook (12th ed.). Irving, TX: Boy Scouts of America.

Citation: Tiffany Morgan

Type of Reference: Handbook

Call Number: Ref 808

Content/Scope: This handbook is targeted to boys who want to be "well-developed and well-informed" boys. It talks of camping, scouting, signs and signals, and much more.

Accuracy/Authority/Bias: Boy Scouts of America is an authoritative name that has been well-known for years.

Arrangement/Presentation: The handbook is paperba
Rebecca
Nov 08, 2012 Rebecca added it
Shelves: reference
Citation: Birkby, R. (2009). The boy scout handbook (12th ed.) . Irving, TX : Boy Scouts of America.

Citation by: Rebecca Tabb

Call Number: J369.43 BOY

Description: The 12th edition of this classic publication covers all things related to scouting, woodcraft, and camping.

Relevance and Relationship: A great source of information for elementary age boys involved with Boy Scouts or interested in the topics scouts learn.

Purpose: To provide a source of information for scouts.

Validity: Published since 19
Jason
Dec 29, 2011 Jason rated it really liked it
This book is one of the bestselling books of all time. This is no surprise as it is the "Bible" of a great organization; Boy Scouts of America. It's definitely packed with a ton of helpful information, both for the savvy outdoorsman or the novice. I was pleased to find that I knew most of the information simply from being a Scout throughout my life (this shows that I had some good leaders along the way) and I feel that I truly have benefited from this knowledge while backpacking, giving service ...more
Seb Demetter
Aug 16, 2012 Seb Demetter rated it it was amazing
This book!!
It has been a long road for the boy scout program, but it is finally at its end; I received and passed my Board of Review!
I wholly recommend the boy scout program to anyone. Being a scout and working towards this goal has taught be a lot about values that are important to me as I prepare to face the world on my own. It was worth all the hard work, and it's an honor to be part of the program. Like I said though, I mean, even if you're a girl or a woman or a grown man, this book has gr
Veiltender
Nov 12, 2008 Veiltender rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who need to know outdoor skills.
Recommended to Veiltender by: my Father
So, you wouldn't reckon the Boy Scout Handbook needs reviewing, but by gum I'm going to review it anyway. This book is, of course, necessary to go up the ranks in the BSA, containing as it does "The Trail to Eagle." However, at its core it isn't primarily about advancement. The first edition title had the right of it A Handbook for Boys. This book is full of useful information about tying knots, first aid, wilderness survival, and a plethora of other useful skills, all arranged in a simple easy ...more
Philip
Jan 13, 2009 Philip rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone, really.
Recommended to Philip by: My father
This is the latest edition (11th) of the Boy Scout Handbook, which first came out in 1911 as the Handbook for Boys, a title it held through the 5th Edition. This 11th edition is about to be replaced this year or next by the new centennial 12th edition. I grew up with the 6th, that was out from . It was the sesquicentennial edition.

This is a fabulous book for learning all sorts of outdoor and survival skills, physical fitness, character development, preparation for active citizenship, and leaders
Justyna Justy
Oct 23, 2016 Justyna Justy rated it really liked it
There's 21 pages of a section to parents about how to protect your children from child abuse. The rest, the boy scout section is 449 pages. With credits and index is 472. This book is very informative.

This book talks and shows how to do knots, teach morals and values. Teachs not only the badges, but how to be a decent human being, give respect to others, clean your area, yourself, respect nature and give back.

This book teachs you how to use a compass, use maps, use other ways to indicate direc
Gregg Jones
I started as a Boy Scout in 1961 as a Tenderfoot and got to Eagle in 1966. I read the whole thing a few times. You could and still can learn a lot from this book. You could survive in the wild with this book. I did learn about camping in a way that made it enjoyable. You could raise your comfort level in the forest is you learned your lessons from this handbook. It taught me how to cook, camp, how to be a good citizen and so much more. This was my first exposure to First Aid and combined with go ...more
Jason May
May 12, 2013 Jason May rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
This was my father's edition but as an Eagle Scout I am familiar with the topics discussed in this edition (of which many have not changed). In a way it is comforting to know we were both taught similar techniques on camping and first aid. However it is much more of a collector's piece with sentimental value. With it's Norman Rockwell cover it harkens back to a time of "Ozzie & Harriet" and "Leave it to Beaver".
Doug
Mar 15, 2009 Doug rated it it was amazing
This is a how-to book for all ages and people. Scouts and scouters should read this marvelous book, as well as family members and anyone else interested in . . . well, truthfully anyone interested in anything can find something in this book.
Dakota
Feb 03, 2012 Dakota rated it it was amazing
Shelves: frommyyouth
Everything you need to know and nothing you don't. A treasure trove of information and lessons on being a good citizen and good person.

Even now as an Eagle Scout I have kept this book in my collection as a reminder of hard work and fruition.
James Pittman
Feb 06, 2013 James Pittman rated it it was amazing
The 11th Edition of the Boy Scouts of America Handbook is filled with outstanding information for values, camping, hiking, and lots more. The handbook also has outstanding citizenship, first aid, cooking, and lots more.
Jonathan
Jul 17, 2008 Jonathan rated it really liked it
I had to look at it again in my adult life to see how much really good info there is in this thing. Every boy should have one, boy scout or not.
Carl
Oct 14, 2015 Carl rated it it was ok
I earned Eagle Scout with this book, and it has good lessons.
Liston Morris
A general guide to all things Boy Scout related. There are some particularly good sections on fist aid.
Sunny
Jun 13, 2014 Sunny rated it it was amazing
Oh yeah! Eagle Scout here 2005!
Joe
Apr 02, 2008 Joe rated it it was amazing
The earlier versions were better than the current, however this one book still contains almost all of the information/knowledge that a young man (or woman) should know.
Never put it down! 1 9 Dec 14, 2008 09:22AM