Start by marking “Chasing Invisible” as Want to Read:
Chasing Invisible

Chasing Invisible

Could you handle life in the spotlight?

Julia Alexander is a quiet girl from a small town. Content to spend her days with her small group of friends and a pile of books, Julia thinks her future is set. When she unexpectedly meets Chase, a fellow college student and budding musician, she is unaware of just how drastically things are about to change.

Suddenly thrown into the
280 pages
Published June 2013 by Anchor Group Publishing (first published May 24th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Chasing Invisible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chasing Invisible

Tonya Bangart
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received a full sample copy of Chasing Invisible for the purpose of this review. I finished it in just two days. The story drew me and wouldn't let go. I thought I understood the difficulty of being a celebrity, but I never really grasped how much of a toll it would take on the loved ones of a celebrity... the sacrifices they would have to make. I am keeping this review brief, because I don't want to give anything away. I will say, days later the ending is still haunting me.
Melissa
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Words can not describe how amazing I found this book. I ate it up, reading through the whole thing and coming back to re-read. The reader just needs to know what happens to Julia. The author has a great way of writing and pulling the reader in. A true 5 star book, if not more. Amazing!!
Donna Huber
I finished it at lunch time, but I couldn't stop thinking about the book. The ending totally shocked me. First, I thought it was totally out of character but the more that I've thought about it I think maybe not. A great book for book clubs.
Lissette
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Julia Alexander has immersed herself in books of every kind ever since she was a child, much to her parents chagrin. She can't help herself in doing so. Books are a passion of hers she can't let go. She's tried to make her parents and friends understand her passion, yet they can't seem to grasp the concept of it. Never-the-less, she's determined to hold fast to who she is as well as to her own beliefs.

Determined to make the most of her college experience, Julia sees it as a chance to gain her in
Alicia Marietta
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Although this is a new genre for Karen, you certainly could not tell. Karen has a way with words that pulls you in and never lets you go. One of the biggest things that I loved about Chasing Invisible was that I could see Karen in Julia in certain ways. Her love for books and desire to help get books out to everyone. For me, it just connected me to Julia all the more.

I have to admit that at first I did not care for the back and forth in the timeline. It wasn't until all the pieces of the puzzle
Emily Fogle
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Chasing Invisible is the amazing story of Julia and Chase and their rollercoaster ride through the social limelight.
Julia is a quiet girl who is more than happy to keep to herself, blocking out the distractions of the world. When she meets Chase, however, her bubble of solitude bursts. Chase is the lead singer of a band. They meet at an after party Julia's friend drags her to and there is an instant connection. Although Julia tries her best to ignore Chase and his advances, his charm wins her o
Ann-marie
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love the author’s style of writing. I was easily drawn into the store, and never lost interest throughout the book. Julia is a bookworm at heart, and is perfectly content staying home on the weekends, reading and studying, instead of partying. But her friend Robyn convinces her to go out one night to hear a local band, Spectrum, play. The scene was definitely not Julia’s cup of tea, but she did meet the hot lead singer, Chase. They were both attending the same college, and he was ea ...more
Romina
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
How would you handle suddenly being thrown into the spotlight?
Julia Alexander just wants to read. To lock herself away with her books and do well at college.
After being dragged on a disastrous night out with her friend Robyn she meets Chase. A college kid and lead singer of a band with high aspirations.
Dating for a while they declare their love for each other, not long after Chase is offered an opportunity that will send them and their personal lives into the spotlight.
Forced to make some tough
Kathleen
Aug 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Wow. Not sure what to say about this one. It was a quick read and I read it straight through....that's something I suppose. It was to a point realistic....that's something.... It was depressing.

Julia and Chase meet in college as their lives are just kicking off...dreams are coming true. We learn all about them and love their romance but then reality kicks in....

If I'm being 100% honest with myself, I probably wouldn't recommend this book and its not because it wasn't good. I don't mind heavy boo
Katherine
Mar 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Chasing Invisible by Karen Pokras Toz is a well written contemporary romance. It begins with Julia in college and focused on school. She isn't looking for a boyfriend, but Chase pursues her and they all in love. Chase is offered a record contract and his sudden fame is a little hard on Julia since she is a very private person. But she loves Chase and they marry. The story
gets interesting as they progress through married life and kids and have to deal with the issues of being public figures.
The
Christina M Condy
Chasing Invisible is an interesting story. Chase and Julia are in love, the romance between the two is slow moving but believable. What happens next is something most people seem to forget about, the price of fame. Chase is so involved in his career that he falls prey to everything the music industry is known for. Meanwhile Julia is trying to have her own career and the paparazzi seem to just be everywhere and into everything.

The book itself is a slow but steady read. There were points that for
Candice
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My Review is simple today: Karen takes you on a journey of a life we all think we want to life, we all think we desire. However, you get to explore the other side, understand relationships struggle, find out what family can do, and really fall in love with Julia and you understand her point of view and thoughts-but better yet, you get a personal connection. But what becomes is a story of discovery and growing up. I greatly enjoyed the story, and I even enjoyed the dialog, which is difficult for ...more
Anne Ragan
Mar 29, 2014 rated it liked it
I had many reactions to this book, and they were all deeply felt. Anger, outrage, sadness were all coming out of me when I finished this book. To the point that I had to explain the entire book to my husband, who doesn't like to read, and even he was confused by the ending. It is unexpected, but not in a good way to be. It goes against the main character's values and actions throughout the entire book. I am only giving it three stars because I feel like the ending was written just for shock valu ...more
Cheryl Malandrinos
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've read some of Toz's books for children, so I was eager to dive into her first novel for adults. Like in her other books, Toz knows her main character well and lets her take the reins with the storytelling. This allows the reader to truly know Julia and witness the journey through her eyes.

The main challenge I had with this novel is that I couldn't sympathize enough with Julia. I didn't relate well to her, so while there were moments where she became sympathetic, there weren't enough to make
Angela
Apr 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
Chasing Invisible covers a large time frame and the author does a fantastic job at hitting the main events of Julia's life without leaving the reader feeling like something has been missed in the time jumps.

Through the entire book I felt connected to Julia and identified with her thoughts, emotions, and reactions to the situations that we so outside of her control.

I hope that Karen Pokras Toz plans to write more novels for adults. Chasing Invisible is a strong adult debut for the author who is a
Melanie
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I recommend reading this book. The style of writing was new to me, and I almost felt like I was watching a movie. This book covers most of Julia's life. She meets a boy, Chase, in college and they marry, then he gets a recording contract. His musical career takes off. Living in the spotlight, Julia can't grow accustomed to it, and everything she does to try to distance herself from it, makes the spotlight even brighter. I really like the title and how the meaning is cumulated at the very end. Th ...more
Alana McKinney
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh my word! Chasing Invisible by Karen Toz is an incredible read! Ms. Toz describes the emotions of the main character, Julia Anderson, so accurately that it drew me into the scenes and made me feel true empathy for her. Julia never imagined or desired a life in the spotlight, but when it becomes her reality, she is forced to examine every aspect of her life. I was drawn into the story that covers a large span of Julia’s life, and an unexpected ending left me wondering what I would have done in ...more
Jaime
Jul 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. I was completely drawn into this novel from the first page. It really made me think about how a celebrity family deals with trying to live their lives constantly surrounded by the paparazzi. I thought about this book for days after I finished reading it. The characters were what I liked most about this book. They were fully fleshed out, and I was able to feel what they were feeling - their hopes and dreams, ups and downs. I be ...more
Stephanie
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received the book free exchange for an honest review. Well here's my review. I instantly connected with the main character (Julia) cause I could relate to her. I could picture every scene and moment through out her college life and into adult hood. Just like Julia I also fell in love with Chase. I enjoyed reading and picturing their life together, through their ups and downs. It also gave me insight how being in the spotlight is not all its cracked up to be. Julia did not like being in the spo ...more
Claire Taylor
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is such an emotional rollercoaster, and the ending was perfect for the storyline. It was well written and nicely paced, though I occasionally wished there was a little more detail (but given how many years it spanned it was completely understandable as to why it didn’t). Over all, this was a great read that kept me turning page after page.

I received an e-copy from the author in exchange for an honest review.
Julie
Aug 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Chase and Julia meet by chance and fall in love. Chance is hopping for a big break. Julia is a homebody bookworm.
The story shows you how fame and the paparzzi interferes in peoples lives and how they cope with it. It is well written and.covers many years. So as Julia grows you see changes as she matures.
Fran Yariv
May 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Compelling story about a person suddenly thrust into the limelight as a result of her relationship with a musician who becomes a success. Her life is no longer her own as she is followed by paparazzi and her every move is scrutinized.
Michelle
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Wow.Wow.Wow. My heart aches for the happenings in this book. Good & Bad. What an ending! Such great writing, I couldn't put this book down. I truly was affected by this book all day after I read it.
Ali (Ali's Bookshelf )
Jun 21, 2014
Pamela
Jul 31, 2013
Christine Gable
rated it did not like it
Apr 09, 2014
Tabatha
Aug 16, 2013
Mandy Combs
Jan 20, 2014
Karen Pokras Toz writes middle grade and adult contemporary fiction (as Karen Pokras). Her books have won several awards including two Readers' Favorite Book Awards, First Place in the Children's Chapter Books category and the Grand Prize overall in the 2012 Purple Dragonfly Book Awards, as well as placing first for two Global E-Book Awards for Pre-Teen Literature. A native of Connecticut, Karen n ...more