Start by marking “Letters from Bath; Or, a Friend in Exile (The Meriweather Chronicles #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Letters from Bath; Or, a Friend in Exile (The Meriweather Chronicles #0.5)

Letters from Bath; Or, a Friend in Exile (The Meriweather Chronicles 0.5)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  50 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
A short incident from the time of Jane Austen, told in a series of letters from Bath, England. Ann Northcott reluctantly accompanies her mother to the famous Spa, and there finds what entertainment she can by plotting various subtle ways in which to be disobliging, indulging in unskilled matchmaking, and writing accounts of it all to her best friend Julia.
A prequel story
Kindle Edition, 1, 59 pages
Published March 1st 2012 by Meredith Allady

To ask other readers questions about Letters from Bath; Or, a Friend in Exile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letters from Bath; Or, a Friend in Exile

Hannah
Here's a fun little tale of Bath, written as letters from young Ann Northcutt to her dearest friend Julia. While my attention lagged a bit at the midway point, just picking up near the end, I'm still rating it high because the period tone was done so well and was so delightfully reminiscent of Jane Austen's books. I'll be keeping an eye out for the sequel and am happy to recommend this little story of travel and friendship to anyone who loves Austen's work or to those who prefer no romance in th ...more
Elsabet
I love this book. It was an instant favorite. I have never before read a book that so perfectly mimics the wit of our beloved Miss Austen. I have seen many people attempt it, but that usually resulted in clumsy prose and jokes that fall terribly flat. Not with this book.

The story is short, and it was an easy read. I read part of it aloud to my siblings and they loved it. Even my oldest brother, who has often scorned such works as being "foolish and silly" couldn't conceal his enjoyment. They ha
Age Appropriate For: All Ages
Best for Ages: All Ages

One of my friends went on and on about this author, so I decided that I had to try her out since I could get a prequel free. I was not disappointed!

I felt almost as if I had stumbled onto an undiscovered Jane Austen novel. Though this was just a collection of fictional letters, they had the wit and style of Jane Austen. I was so thrilled. They made me really want to read the next book in the series, which I shall probably do later this year.

Thr
Hannah
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh. My. Goodness.
This is a truly unique author. I could hardly believe it when I encountered this book quite by accident. It's hard to believe a contemporary author could write so naturally about a historical period, but she does. It's as if she was born there. I have read extensively in the literature of the pre-Regency, Regency, and Victorian period, and I have to admit...her ability to imitate the language and FEEL the time period is perfect.
Perfect.
This is not a self-conscious, meticulously
Mela
It is a witty, amusing, splendid novella. I was sucked in an atmosphere of Bath in the beginning of XIX century. I just felt it. If you are fun of Jane Austen and Jude Morgan (his Regency books) try it! It is still free on Amazon. I am not wonder it is free because after reading it you want to buy next (full) book. Not only because you want to know what happened next but also because it is written enjoyable and funny.

PS A main plot has an end so you will not feel cheated. But you will want to kn
QNPoohBear
Nov 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: austenesque
This novella is a pastiche of Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey in parts and a somewhat witty observation of Regency society. Teenage heroine Ann Northcott is being held prisoner against her will... by her mother... in Bath! Ann's mother disapproves of her hoydenish daughter who walks with a slight limp due to a childhood accident. At first Ann is miserable in Bath but she soon finds some unexpected allies. When she meets Miss Barr, Ann discovers a heroine in need of a happily ever after. Ann enlis ...more
Kelsey Bryant
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indie-authors
Perfectly delightful. I give the author five stars for her writing style! So much in the spirit of Jane Austen. I loved Friendship and Folly, so this was a nice little addition. I look forward to reading the author's other books.
Nancie Lafferty
Feb 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Enjoy historical fiction, but not so much Jane Austen (perish the thought!) Cute little incident of gossip, flirtation, and correspondence during the Season at Bath.
Marlene
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Letters from Bath by Meredith Allady is a prequel to Allady's Merriweather Chronicles. It's an Austenesque novella without being a romance. It does, however, have wry observations of people that totally makes me think of Austen.

It's the tale of Ann Northcott's stay in Bath, told in letter form to her best friend Julia from back home in the country. You see her in the pump-room for many days throughout this book.

Mulitple other reviewers recommend first reading Friendship and Folly: The Merriwe
Tiffany Tinkham-Graves
This book read more like a diary than anything else and I'm not the greatest at reading a diary from the past, but it was letters that one person wrote to her friend of her adventures in Spa and the people she met. It's somewhat interesting, but I wasn't too fond of it.
Little Red Readinghood
I loved this book the language the period feel. So why three stars. It is a prequel. I am invested in the main character and the story stops and I have to get the first book. luckily I do have it already on my kindle so I am off to down load it.
Laura Thomas
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Observations of a Friend

Well written short story that consists of a series of letters sent to best friend,resulting understanding lady who wrote them.
Hayden
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: other-genre
Authentically written and thoroughly charming! I'll definitely have to try more from this author. (and thanks to Elisabeth, who recommended it to me!)
Susan
Jan 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: epub-s
Though this is a prequel to Friendship and Folly, it is a standalone novella of letters. Letters written by Ann Northcott when staying in Bath to her friend Julia.

Nov 13, 2017
RMK
Mar 02, 2016
Lucy  Dixon
Mar 18, 2018
Meredith Allady had a lot more free time before she became involved in The Merriweather Chronicles. She is slowly pulling herself into the 21st century and now has a website and a Twitter account, but she doesn't recommend the latter because, quite frankly, she hasn't figured out why it's useful or exactly what to do with it!
More about Meredith Allady

The Meriweather Chronicles (3 books)
  • Friendship and Folly (Merriweather Chronicles, #1)
  • Letters to Julia (The Meriweather Chronicles #2)
  • A Summer in Bath (The Merriweather Chronicles #3)