Start by marking “Branded Ann” as Want to Read:
Branded Ann

Branded Ann

No pirate on the high seas is more bloodthirsty than the notorious Branded Ann, a woman with eyes like ice and a face marred by a mysterious cross-shaped scar. When she raids a merchant vessel bound for Jamaica, her only objective is to obtain the map that will lead her to a legendary treasure. But she hadn't bargained on taking Violet, the merchant's young widow, on board ...more
Published January 2nd 2008 by Bold Strokes Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Branded Ann, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Branded Ann

Verechnaya
Jun 30, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: rape-culture
When the fearless pirate Branded Ann attacks and murders Violet's husband and unexpectedly keeps her as a slave, Violet must survive the abuse as Branded Ann engages in a masturbatory one-woman battle of will and attempts to break her into submission, until Violet becomes suicidal. When Branded Ann's ship finally comes into port, she decides to free Violet, but when freedom for Violet comes with gratuitous rape by strangers and being forced into prostitution for survival, she realizes that at le ...more
Lia A
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
I tried to like it, I really did.
M
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: l-books

Lesbian pirates...... Enough said!

If you push me, well then I would have to say that I loved the characters, the setting and indeed the ambience of story. Is there any thing more?

From the beginning, it was apparent that there were secrets and hidden truths to both of the heroines. The author gave the time and space for both characters to develop and grow together to an obvious conclusion.

I really liked this book, a very entertaining and quick bedtime romance with dashing pirate captains, evil
Cidney
Oct 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book has what I love best in lezfic romance. It doesn't take itself so seriously. It's agenda-free. And it isn't about a dead lover and dealing with grief. This is just a fun, amusing ride with sexy, memorable characters... and excellent writing to boot! And pirates!! How can you *not* love a book with lesbian pirates?? :)
Alex
Dec 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, queer
It's embarrassing to admit that I enjoyed this, but I did. It's a lesbian pirate romance novel, okay???
Alison
Oct 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: queer, my-e-things, dnf, lgbtq
I didn't finish this because I really wasn't into it. I didn't like either of the main characters and it became a struggle to continue. I was hoping for a swashbuckling, exciting queer pirate story filled with dashing characters and adventures on the high seas, but by a quarter of the way in, there was no sign of any of that and I found Ann to be pretty icky. Oh well.
Delitealex
I really enjoyed this book both Ann and Violet had so much to overcome from their past in order to move on. I liked when each got over their reservations about being together and finally asked the other what they wanted. Also loved the action and wondering what was going to happen next.
Colleen Corgel
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, romance, adventure
This was a pretty fun historical fiction romp that, at times, takes itself a little too seriously. For me, it felt a little bit like lesbian Beauty and the Beast with pirates. Branded Ann is a ruthless pirate with a past and is out for the last part of a treasure map that leads to the largest hoard of treasure in the Spanish Main. She is quite Beastly in her appearance (she earned her nickname because of a cross that was cruelly branded into her face) and in her attitude. Violet, our Beauty, is ...more
Cee Jelly
May 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: just-no
Another one of those badly written own-owned things.

Ann killed lots of people, and no matter how she pretended she was sorry for it, it did not change a thing. How her half-assedness took her that far? We'll never know. She also stayed a "tragic" villain "forced" to do bad stuff at the end. No purnishment for you know, leading men to take ships and kill ppl. She was also (big surprise) not likable, and kind of pathetic when you recognized all her reputation is just the magic of being the heroine
farhana
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5
It's not a bad book, just not amazing or captivating. It was a fun read for the most part, especially the ending.

I didn't enjoyed the book that much because I disliked the two main characters (Ann and Violet). For Ann, the way she treated Violet was sickening. And yes, I knew it was a story about pirates; so I wasn't expecting flowers and chocolates. But I really didn't get Ann. Most of her actions didn't make any sense to me. Like she was ready to die for Violet, yet endangered Violet's life
nisie draws
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pirate lesbians!! Overall an enjoyable read, but there was too much sexual menacing, implied rape, background sexual violence, etc for me to give this a full 5 stars. The captain is fierce lady who doesn't tolerate the mistreatment of women, but of course there are bad dudes on the ship in the towns who must be stopped from abusing her girlfriend the ex-prostitute. :/

Towards the end, there was also a bit of my personal pet peeve, the trope of "both characters are in love, but thinks the other on
Alex
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think I'm in love with Violet, it was my favorite character, all that stuff about her past and all her praying made her more interesting and lovable, at least to me
Alana Rodrigues
Apr 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who like pirates, strong/stubborn/beautiful women.
hamildy
May 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who like good chracter development, strong female lead characters, cannon lesbian characters
Shelves: shelf-personal
tl;dr version: IF YOU LIKE LESBIAN ROMANCE YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY READ IT OTHERWISE IT IS AN AVERAGE PIRATE BOOK.

It's short, fun, a bit grim in places and filled with sexual tension. There are really only two characters in this story the rest mostly being 2 dimensional pirates. For a book of this length that is not really a problem our two main characters (Ann and Violet) both have interesting and tragic back stories which is slowly revealed. Their personalities are well developed and undergo som
lauraღ
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. I went back and forth on it a lot, because while it's steeped in just the right amount of realism and fun, sometimes it got a little too real? Branded Ann is a pirate, and she does a bunch of awful pirate stuff that almost kept me from liking her as a character too much, but she never went over the line. (For me, at least. I can honestly see some people not liking her at all.) But Violet, Violet I loved with all my heart, and at any given moment, the few times the story lagged ...more
moxieBK
Jul 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pirate loving lesbian
I really wanted to like this story. Truly I did. Pirates, lesbians, a sexy strong protagonist that won’t back down—what could be better? Unfortunately, this book dragged and I just couldn’t get into the character Branded Ann. She felt wishy-washy at times. I fault the writer for that because the story wasn’t always upfront with the reader about the history of it’s characters. I’m sure this was intended to build suspense, but it didn’t come off that way for me.

I slogged through it because I liked
Janet
Jan 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pirates, romance
Writing a romance about pirates that has any sense of authenticity is a real challenge. Historical pirates were a brutal bunch, and creating a romantic lead who is also a pirate usually requires some sort of Count of Monte Cristo-ish backstory explaining how a noble person ended up in taking to the seas to plunder but manages to retain their honor in the midst of a life of villainy.

Merry Shannon manages to create a romantic heroine who is a pirate captain who has justly earned her fearsome reput
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
SlashReaders: This was by far the best of the three fem slash books I just put up on here. This book simply reached a level of character development and conflict that built up nicely where as the others did not. Not to meant ion the fact that I think the writing is a few steps up.

Okay anyway, this is not the say the others were bad, simply some things needed to be worked on. Or maybe this one just spoke to me more.

Anyway there was a nice build up of tensions between the characters. I like it whe
Jess
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ok. I like Pirates. I like Lesbians. I love Lesbian Pirates.
This book is basically one of my teenage fantasies come to life. I’ve imagined myself in both positions, as the swash buckling rogue who woos a woman of more ‘demure’ nature. Which I say lightly in this case, as Violet is anything but demure.
I’ve also imagined myself as the damsel abducted by the pirate queen and eventually wooed into her bed, despite my belief it is wrong or some such.

Basically, my teenage fantasy came to being into th
D. Omars
Feb 24, 2012 rated it liked it
For me, this story was not amazing, great or good. It was passable, that's it, passable. I would have giving it a 2, but it felt that it deserved a 3. I like the drama and the suspense, but there were points were one of the main characters was really dumb in the point in which she did not see trouble coming from someone. The action was good, that was good. Romance was good too, but in a weird sense and at some point, it was confusing how it developed. The ending was good, but I was expecting a l ...more
Katarina Ross
Jan 25, 2016 rated it liked it
I was introduced to Merry Shannon through her debut novel, Sword of the Guardian. Since that is one of the few books that has managed to make me hate the necessity of sleep, I was excited to see what her second novel would have in store. Since it's a pirate tale there's bloodshed and other unpleasantness, yet not as much as I was expecting. At its heart is the journey of two women discovering what they want away from the dictated expectations of others.

While it dragged at times and was perhaps a
Artemis
Yes! Another novel to grace the special hall of wonderful novels in my heart. Gods, I love everything, EVERYTHING, about this book, from the characters to the themes (c'mon, FEMALE pirates!) to the plot to the style. LOVE THIS.

My heart SURGED so many times throughout the novel, from heartache, to anger, from laughter to those adorably lovely moments of "I feel the love." (And you two, Ann and Violet, are too blind to see it yet!)

There were so many: That moment when you want to reach your little
Cucumber
Jan 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Tropes and clichés aside, it was a fun read. I’ll be honest, I went for it because it had lady pirates and looked like a cheesy love story. I was not disappointed. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised by all the character development Ann and Violet went through. The only thing that irritated me a bit were the parts where the writing went into full-on purple prose mode but after a while I got used to that, too. (I got the impression that the author knew exactly what she was doing so…)

In conclusion
Ronel
Dec 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
I am just in love with this book. When I was in my teens, I remember the romance novels that we all devoured. There would be action and adventure and the two main characters would fall in love.

This book is just that, with the exception that it is two women falling in love amidst the chaos aboard a pirate ship.

It is an easy read. The story itself may not be that original (pirate ship, haunted island, treasure map) but the characters are so well developed that it lifts the books above the normal s
Vivian Lau
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
It was a good and fun read on pirating adventures and a growing romance. I especially liked the tightly written action.

BUT it would have been a great book if the impacts of Ann's and Violet's difficult pasts could be further explored and put to use and if the crew's actions had further repercussions.
Megzz
Entertaining story, for sure. Exciting plot, and great characters. It's overall a really nice quick read if you like pirate stories.

Personally, I thought there was too much adventure and not enough romance, but that's really a matter of taste. The romance is there, but is very slow and I wasn't satisfied until the very end of the book.

Lex Kent
Mar 28, 2016 rated it liked it
I had a hard time rating this book. There was parts I really enjoyed and others not so much. I loved Merry Shannon's first book, but this didn't have the same feel for me. It's not bad by any means just not quite what I was hoping for.
Kate
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book. I'm pretty picky about my lesbian books and this one was really good. More complicated relationship and story than usual which made it more real. Decent suspense. I couldn't put it down. Read it in two days.
Maxine
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As the first ever Pirate book that I have ever read I was apprehensive but I have to say that I am completely impressed, a total page turner I didn't want it to end! Well written and thought out I enjoyed this book thoroughly :)
Michelle
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lesbian-fantasy
An excellent read. One of the best lesbian pirate stories out there. Though I really felt the epilogue functioned more as a final chapter considering it held some key moments in the character's final arcs. Lovely read anyways.

• A Pirate's Heart
  • The Sublime and Spirited Voyage of Original Sin
  • Hard Times
  • The Scorpion
  • Taming The Wolff
  • Dynasty of Rogues (Celaeno, #5)
  • Lady Knight
  • Missing Lynx (Elite Operatives,  #3)
  • Backwards to Oregon (The Oregon Series, #1)
  • The Devil Unleashed (Cain Casey, #2)
  • Ambereye (Garoul, #2)
  • Tiopa Ki Lakota
  • Innocent Hearts
  • Love in the Balance
  • Lessons
Merry Shannon was born in California and grew up a military brat. Raised in a conservative family, she was not allowed to watch cartoons and moved around so much that she made few friends; and so she turned to books for companionship and entertainment. She fell in love with reading at a very young age, and soon began to write her own stories.

Her love of fantasy and adventure began very early, and