Start by marking “The Dark of Deep Below (The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle #2)” as Want to Read:
The Dark of Deep Below (The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle #2)

The Dark of Deep Below

(The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle #2)

Hardcover, Signed, Limited Edition, 232 pages
Published November 1st 2013 by Subterranean Press

To ask other readers questions about The Dark of Deep Below, please sign up.
Hannah I bought "The Thing Beneath The Bed" for my friend who loves Rothfuss' books. He and I share the more morbid sense of humor, but he thought what fun…moreI bought "The Thing Beneath The Bed" for my friend who loves Rothfuss' books. He and I share the more morbid sense of humor, but he thought what fun it would be to read it to our other friends who's humor is a bit more mild. Some of the most hilarious, nervous, and down-right discontented reactions I have ever seen. We enjoyed every minute of it. xD(less)

Patrick
Nov 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)

I have to admit, I'm really proud of how this one turned out. The Illustrator, Nate Taylor, really outdid himself....

But you can't trust my opinion. It's my book after all.

So here's a couple people who have no particular reason to lie about it.

Like Bill Willingham:

"Patrick Rothfuss and Nate Taylor seem determined [...] to bring back the lost but lovely tradition of bedtime stories that make children afraid to sleep. After my second outing with the Princess and Mr. Whiffle, I have one more comme
Alex Ristea
Bonus points for actually reading this aloud like a story book!

If you haven't already read The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle: The Thing Beneath the Bed, do that first. As the sticker says on the cover, "this shit is not for kids. Seriously." It's a children's book, made for adults. And none of that tricky "oh this looks like it's for kids but there is subtle humour for the parents." Don't ever read this to a child, ever. Even I was disturbed.

This one's a much longer story, and altho
Rob
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Story
I liked this one a lot more than the first. It was less depressing for one. It's still quite twisted in places though, and definitely dark. I thought it was a lot of fun though, and as a picture book, a very quick/easy read.

If you liked the first one, you'll likely enjoy this, and if you were so-so on the first, you should give this one a shot, you may find it an improvement like I did.

It's still a borrow from the library book thing for me though. It's not something I'd read a bunch of ti
Debra
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I just love the author's wicked picture books that aren't for kids! This adventure was almost as fun as the first. The first was a bigger shock with the surprise ending. This one, I already knew it would be dark, but it was longer and loads of fun. Definitely NOT for young children.
Lisa
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Genius is in the details!
Kristina
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Well, I didn't get all the information I was looking for, but I think I got the story I didn't know I wanted.
Dagan Brinda
Well, where do I begin? Most reviews of this book state it's longer than the first one, but the twist isn't as good, and you know what? That's pretty spot on. The first book will take you about 5 minutes to read, and has a surprising twist, that makes since if you read it again. This book will take you about 30 minutes to read, and has a very, very, VERY confusing twist, I've read the book twice, and I still don't understand the ending twist. Maybe a third read will do it? Who knows. Probably th ...more
Terry Costantini
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
2.49 stars (That's why I can't round up to 3 stars)
O.K. - I have to say I am a little disappointed. The first book was a complete masterpiece, and absolutely brilliant. This one was not poor, but it suffers since the first one was SO good. It makes me kind of wish he stopped at the first book. The twist, and the clues made it brilliant, and I use it to teach kids to make inferences in Grade 7/8. This one entertained me slightly, but just didn't pack the same punch. I wonder what I would say abo
Tsedai
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, childrens
The adventure continues and I love it.
J. Dorner
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Oldest Siblings
Exactly what having a younger sibling is like! Ha ha.
Ending one is just so... oh my, as George Takei would say. Those of us with a dark humor streak will want to run right out and read this to the younger sibling. Evil. Grounding! Okay, it'd be a bad idea.
But it's okay, it goes back to where you figured. And then, page 76, ... well, you really should read the first book before reading this second book. Otherwise you'll miss the hilarious moment, or at least not understand it as well as you migh
Danielle Long
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
My first thought when I opened this wonderful book, was "Yeah! More craziness from Mr. Rothfuss!" What I really got was another crazy story but it lacked the punch like the first did! I still give it 4 stars because of the illustrations which are spot. Now the Princess has a baby brother to deal with and let's just say it's typical older sister not liking to have share and do things for her little brother. He ends up getting into trouble and she has to step up and be the big sister in order to s ...more
Dana West
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
These adventures are hilarious and heartwarming and NOT for kids.
to'c
Nov 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A much more involved story than the Princess' first adventure. And with 33% more characters! Yet somehow not quite as satisfying. Still a good read, however.
Morgan Golias
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mandy DeOrnellas
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love the second installment of the princess and Mr. Whiffle. I treated myself to an autographed copy from Worldbuilders.org for an early Christmas gift and I’m so happy that I did. I loved that it was longer than the first. It expands on the princess’s family too. The illustrations are wonderful! I do hope that there will be a third book. They are so much fun and frankly, the princess is a badass too.
Michael
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: patrick-rothfuss
I finally got a copy of this and I'm so happy when it arrived. The story itself was great and it was beautifully illustrated by Nate Tylor. As it states this story is not for kids.

I got my copy from Worldbuilders and is signed by Patrick Rothfuss himself and i'm glad that money has been able to help the Worldbuilders charity.

If you are a Patrick Rothfuss fan then it is definitely worth picking this book up.
Sam Wescott
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I actually think this one was a big improvement on the first Princess and Mr. Whiffle book. I loved the glimpses of the parents and the whole Goblin scenario. The Mr-Whiffle-as-Scout gag actually made me laugh. It took the interesting mood of the first book and glossed it over a more substantial plot. Highly recommend for creepy children or adults who like picture books.
Nicole Silverlance
Mr Whiffle is my favorite bear and I want a Mr Whiffle!!
I think I could read about their adventures everyday for the rest of my life and never get bored of this. It's such a nice story even though THIS IS NOT A BOOK FOR CHILDREN!!!
Natalie Waddell-Rutter
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Princess has a little brother that's she's not too fond of. She does follow him into the deep, down dark to rescue him from the goblins. She's able to kill all the goblins, no problem, but is afraid of the dark. Luckily, her little brother will solve that problem for her.
Simon
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, children
I love Pat Rothfuss' "not for children" children's books. It's dark, it's fun, it's lovely, it's hilarious. The illustrations are great, full of small details that will make you go back and reread it from the beginning.
Marcus R. Kellogg
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable and fun read.
Michael Targaryen
Rothfuss is fucking trash.
Melissa
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love dark children's bedtime stories, I hope that there will be a third "The adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle" book!
Kelsey
Oct 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-book, fantasy
Not as creepy as the first one, but there are definitely some unsettling parts. I don't think the multiple endings worked as well in this one vs. the first one. Excellent illustrations.
Velia
It wasn't as creepy as I thought it would be, but it was still a good story.
Alicia
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another installment of not so childlike children's stories not at all meant for children by Mr. Rothfuss. Adorabley diabolical.
Mikki
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Mr. Rothfuss never fails to deliver. The best author I have ever had the pleasure of reading. I have had this book forever but just realized I never rated it. Shame on me.
Mothwing
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dark and twisted tale that is really not for children. We had a really fun evening reading it and looking at the pictures again afterwards.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• A Softer World: Truth and Beauty Bombs
  • Walking Your Octopus: A Guidebook to the Domesticated Cephalopod
  • Chiliad: A Meditation
  • The Princess Who Saved Herself
  • Simon's Cat vs. the World (Simon's Cat, #4)
  • The Butt Book
  • Saga #13
  • Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files: Wild Card (Series Omnibus, Signed Limited Edition)
  • Digger: The Complete Omnibus
  • Dangerously Ever After
  • Diary of a Dragon
  • The Wurms of Blearmouth (The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, #5)
  • The House of the Stag (Lord Ermenwyr, #2)
It all began when Pat Rothfuss was born to a marvelous set of parents. Throughout his formative years they encouraged him to do his best, gave him good advice, and were no doubt appropriately dismayed when he failed to live up to his full potential.

In high-school Pat was something of a class clown. His hobbies included reading a novel or two a day and giving relationship advice to all his friends

The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle (2 books)
  • The Thing Beneath the Bed (The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle #1)
“She knew the cave wasn't very deep. But everything seems bigger in the dark.” 1 likes