Start by marking “Design Thinking for Strategic Innovation: What They Can't Teach You at Business or Design School” as Want to Read:

A comprehensive playbook for applied design thinking in business and management, complete with concepts and toolkits

As many companies have lost confidence in the traditional ways of running a business, design thinking has entered the mix. Design Thinking for Strategic Innovation presents a framework for design thinking that is relevant to business management, marketing, an
Published August 21st 2013 by Wiley (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Design Thinking for Strategic Innovation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Design Thinking for Strategic Innovation

Start your review of Design Thinking for Strategic Innovation: What They Can't Teach You at Business or Design School
☘Misericordia☘ ⚡ϟ⚡⛈⚡☁ ❇️❤❣
It's really sad that these days random fashionista stuff like 'Design Thinking' seems to be replacing all the other types of 'Thinking', like 'Logical Thinking', 'Abstract Thinking', 'Analytical Thinking', 'Contextual Thinking', 'Historical Thinking', 'Mathematical Thinking', 'Engineering Thinking', 'Concrete Thinking' and, well, just the 'Thinking' altogether.

I liked some of the buzz-words, since they buzz nicely. So I'm allotting it a whole extra star (above 0) for all the design effort. And
Sarah Lewis
I picked up this book because of its beautiful design, and also because I own a small business and value strategy, but am not familiar with "design thinking" and hoped this would be a good primer. The subtitle, "what they can't teach you at business or design school," gave me hope that it would be a high-level introduction to a new topic.

Well, it is high-level, perhaps to a fault. My impression is that it's written for executives or managers rather than practitioners, and deals primarily with th
Brock Ray
Apr 25, 2015 rated it did not like it
This book is utter crap! It's just a series of business buzzwords strung together without actually saying anything. It would be generous to say it's all theory and no details, as I don't think there's actually any theory, just some blather that's supposed to sound impressive. The author includes no examples and never explains how to actually achieve the amazing results he brags about. If anything, this book is just a really extended brochure for Mootee's consulting firm -- but again, without eve ...more
Synexe
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
THE MAIN IDEA

Design thinking can “bring about creative solutions to solve complex business problems.” This book explains how to do this in a ‘hands on’ way able to be easily transferred into practice by any organization wanting to adopt design thinking in their own work.

INTERESTING TIDBIT

The author is CEO of his own design firm ‘Idea Couture’ so has lots of practical experience in applying design thinking in practice.

WHAT YOU REALLY NEED TO KNOW

Applying design thinking to your business isn’
Dan
Nov 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Not as good as expected. I struggled to see the relevance of the photos, and as there was so many, it effected the overall substance. It maybe added to the 'complexity' of "getting" Design Thinking for those who are trying to apply it to themselves and/or an enterprise.
There was a lot however, that I did like.
Dean Roskell
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
A short book containing a lot of blank space and unrelated photography, or a photography book with really odd captions, I'm not so sure.

The book felt lacking the whole way through, as if the author had more in their head than they were putting on paper. Paragraphs felt condensed into sentences so optimized they were hard to grasp.

Each topic felt like it needed some real world example to help shape out its lesson and give the reader something to grasp and apply the language to.

It wasn't a wholl
Rajiv Bhattacharya
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
"Design Thinking" has become a buzzword in the industry these days. When I saw this book in my library I thought it might be a good primer on this topic. Sadly, it wasn't anything like that. The book is a compilation of funky,glossy pictures with very little content. It looks almost like a coffee table book(except for its size). My guess is that the whole content of a book won't amount to a few pages if one strips down all the pictures. Read this book if you want to gain knowledge of the topic e ...more
mellyana
Dec 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Maybe this is a new buzz word but I don't really give much care about it.

This book may be more suitable with business people but I found the argument although not new is fresh and interesting. How to do things beyond "business as usual" and encourage a creative way of thinking in any business?
Jose Papo
Aug 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Interesting book if you don´t know yet about Design Thinking. Not really much new information. As an introduction to Design Thinking for executives is really good.
Rizkana
May 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Design Thinking for Strategic Innovation proposes solutions to, at least, 8 major business challenges—growth, predictability, change, relevance, extreme competition, standardization, creative culture, and strategy & organization.

Though I don’t have any background of business theory/education, I found that this book quite lacking. I understand that the author promote design thinking as a solution, but he wastes so many pages on persuading “why” you should consider design thinking without giving
Enrique Nares
Pros: Diseño llamativo, facil lectura, imágenes impactantes y decoración creativa

Contras: el contenido es muy superficial acerca de Design Thinking

Conclusiones: si deseas conocer como te puede ayudar Design Thinking a desarrollar una organización, como buscar nuevos caminos, como ayudar a que la innovación sea adquirida por tu empresa (organización) es una buena selección; si buscar conocer mas acerca de D.T. como se ejecuta y como aterrizarlo, este libro no es para ti.
mavromou
Este libro está escrito a un nivel conceptual mas abstracto del que hubiera preferido. Si hubiera incluido la descripción de ejemplos en donde mostrara a una o mas empresas que hayan incluido el Design Thinking en su cultura para generar una innovación estratégica sería un gran libro, creo que le faltó eso...

Quizá el aporte mas grande que tenga son las preguntas que deja al final para que aquellas personas que quieran integrar el pensamiento de diseño a su organización las respondan en base a lo
Anantha Chandarla
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
The concepts of design Thinking are well defined by providing complementary design Thinking methodologies for each of the business problems faced by companies today. Apart from it, Little else of worth is discussed in the book. The pictures are wholly irrelevant for the subject being discussed. No examples or personal experiences working with brands are quoted. The book therefore remains abstract with ideas thrown in and fails to give a complete picture of Design Thinking.
Jeff
Dec 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has a lot of big ideas in it but translating those ideas to action, process, or something more definitive is given short shrift.
Shahid Khan
Dec 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Very high level observations. Was looking for actionable insights & did not uncover them.
Johan Oskarsson
Dec 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
Absolute crap!
Arti
Dec 30, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business
the book introduces design thinking and sets the context for how it is relevant today and can be embedded into a modern enterprise… the subject is current and I have seen that design thinking, with its multifunctional and multi-perspective approach, helps to look at the complex connections between people, places, objects, events and ideas… and understanding the nature of these interactions both at the physical and emotional level is required to unlock the value of these complex relationships.

if
Nesya
Jan 23, 2021 rated it liked it
A practical book, hence most of informations here are quite basic.
Abhijit
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I have read till date on Design Thinking

Very insightful, comprehensive and full of deep substance which differentiated it for me vis a vis other books on the topic !
Claudia Yahany
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good-ones
Muchas de las cosas que he aprendido en los últimos seis años, de forma estructurada. El Design Thinking no es una moda, no es algo "simple", no es algo "por encimita".
Es la forma de hacer las cosas, es la forma de pensar, es la forma de transformar, es la forma de vivir, es la forma de crear.
Marc
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very definitely a business perspective on Design Thinking. There is much here that translates to my thinking in education and these ideas were important and made the book worth the read. The business specific sections were of less value to me and hence not five stars.
Miriam
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very interesting book, very inspiring, but I would appreciate if there were more real examples.
Rocio Lopez
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
marvelous! finally something that bring biz and creative sides together!
Luke Nhung

• Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days
  • Design Thinking: Integrating Innovation, Customer Experience, and Brand Value
  • Luster
  • Value Proposition Design: How to Create Products and Services Customers Want
  • Change by Design: How Design Thinking Transforms Organizations and Inspires Innovation
  • Design Thinking Methodology Book
  • Visual Meetings: How Graphics, Sticky Notes & Idea Mapping Can Transform Group Productivity
  • Gamestorming: A Playbook for Innovators, Rule-breakers, and Changemakers
  • Pretty Happy: Healthy Ways To Love Your Body
  • Big Friendship: How We Keep Each Other Close
  • Shape Up: Stop Running in Circles and Ship Work that Matters
  • Business Model Generation
  • Designing for Growth: A Design Thinking Tool Kit for Managers
  • Business Model You: A One-Page Method for Reinventing Your Career
  • The Laws of Simplicity: Design, Technology, Business, Life
  • Brave New Work: Are You Ready to Reinvent Your Organization?