Start by marking “Live from Mongolia: From Wall Street Banker to Mongolian News Anchor” as Want to Read:
Live from Mongolia: From Wall Street Banker to Mongolian News Anchor

Live from Mongolia: From Wall Street Banker to Mongolian News Anchor

EAT
Blowtorched sheep. Wash down with fermented horse milk.
PRAY
Beneath a canopy of stars under the endless Mongolian sky.
LOVE
Fall in love with the possibility of a future you'd only ever dreamed of.
In 2006, author Patricia Sexton set out on a journey most of us have only ever fantasized about. She quit her job to pursue her dream. Thirty years old and a rising star at a
Published October 21st 2013 by Beaufort Books (first published October 8th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Live from Mongolia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Live from Mongolia

Jill Dobbe
Follow your dream is Sexton's ultimate message in this fun read as she leaves her high powered banking job and moves to Mongolia to work as a foreign news correspondent. I learned so much about Mongolia from the author's vivid descriptions of the people, history, and country; a place I knew nothing about. Sexton's story is filled with her own doubts, humor, and musings as she lives her life and now motivates others to follow their own dreams. I love where Sexton's story takes her, but still have ...more
Abigail Majane
May 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mongolia
A surprisingly engaging account of one woman's three-month journey to realizing her dreams of becoming a foreign correspondent. I'm not sure what I was expecting of this when I started it, but what I got was an entertaining, relatively easy read that made me feel like I was there with her. I highly recommend it to anyone with an interest in backpacking, Mongolian culture, or who just needs a sign to send them in the right direction towards going after their dream.
Clara
May 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Filled with cliches, but from an interesting viewpoint. Would recommend not for the quality of writing, but instead for her fearlessness.
Joy
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was read for my Reading Challenge Around the World in 80+ Books

This book took me longer to finish than it should have. It’s a compelling real-narrative of Patricia Sexton’s departure from Manhattan to Mongolia to chase her dreams. Unhappy as a Wall Street Banker, Sexton decided to make a radical and bold move. She applied to be a foreign correspondent in Mongolia, nestled between Russia & China. I enjoyed her journey on many levels. As someone who has uprooted her American life a
Cathy Richardson
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting story of following a dream, life in Mongolia and being a reporter.
Kelli Tarala
Dec 17, 2017 rated it liked it
A short, fun book on pursuing dreams with a brief glance at Mongolian culture.
Apriel
Interesting story about following your dreams but not brilliantly written.
Elisa
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

I have always had a weird fascination with Mongolia. So when I saw this book about the author's move from banking to Mongolia, I was intrigued (plus there was a Kindle daily deal). The story was interesting in that most Wall Street bankers do not quit their jobs to live with a Mongolian family drinking fermented milk and eating greasy lamb.

The author also used Mongolian history as filler for what could have otherwise been a much shorter story. Despite my fascination with Mongolian c
Amie's Book Reviews
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I won an autographed hardcover copy of "LIVE FROM MONGOLIA: From Wall Street Banker to Mongolian News Anchor" from Goodreads Giveaways.

When I first read the description of this non-fiction book I was intrigued. Following your dream instead of following the money is an exceedingly rare occurrence.
And it seems like the world of Wall Street is a strange place to find someone who values dreams over money.

The book did not disappoint.

Patricia was a rising star on Wall Street and was offered a job a
Barb
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you, or anyone you know, needs inspiration to “follow your dream” they should read this book. It lends credence to you only have one life, but if you live it right once in enough. In 2006, Patricia Sexton quit her Wall Street job to do a summer internship as a news anchor in Mongolia. And loved it! Well, maybe not all of it – she probably could have done without the food poisoning.

Sexton writes in a very personal and humorous style while conveying much history and culture in her memoir about
Heather
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
I LOVED this book. I won it on a giveaway on goodreads. It was a simple, fast, and humorous read. It was an uplifting, positive book that reaffirms why it is so important to follow your dreams.

The writing is wonderful, and simple. There are many characters that you meet in Mongolia that are hilarious, and hilarious situations that the author finds herself in. The descriptions of Mongolia are not too overdone, yet are vivid and paint the setting very well.

This book doubles as a motivational, upli
Tammie Maloney
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Preparing for an upcoming trip to Mongolia, I picked this up to give me an idea what to expect during our visit. I thoroughly enjoyed the book, getting the right amount of information about Mongolia along with a charming story about following your dreams. I feel like I'm much better prepared for my trip, getting a dose of history and tourist information (even know some restaurants to visit). But the best part is the author's experiences in making a leap from her fast paced life in the NYC invest ...more
David Webber
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
A very readable account of a woman who dares to follow her dreams from her comfortable but gritty life on Wall Street to the gritty but rewarding streets of Ulaanbaatar. This does not contain the detail of travel writing since her experience would not really be considered 'travel', but rather focuses more on her personal story and experience. However, there are still good details of the time of Genghis Khan, traditions and history of modern Mongolia, and of life in the Gobi desert. Enjoyable!
Douglas
Sep 25, 2014 rated it liked it
A fascinating, well written true story. I'm finding it amazing how little I know about so many countries.

I only wish the author had brought a little more passion and personality to her work. This is a personal story about leaving a great job, leaving the comfort of a civilized way of life, and finding oneself trying to bath in ice cold water, surrounded by people speaking a language you don't know. We get factual reporting, but again, no passion or energy or real candid insights.
Jeanne
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
An inspirational memoir about following your dream no matter how extreme. An interesting glimpse inside of life in Mongolia. Who knew you could pay a British company to find you a volunteer internship in Mongolia?
Rachael Davis
May 20, 2016 rated it liked it
This book was okay. I was hoping to learn more about Mongolia, and less about Patricia's personal experiences.
Alison
Dec 09, 2014 marked it as wish-list
kindle 261 (memoir)
Karen
Nov 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
What a fast, fun read! Inspiring story about a woman who gives up her job on Wall Street to follow her dreams.
Rosalie
Sep 30, 2014
Netta
Oct 01, 2013
Karyn Spertzel
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

Enjoyed the story and in particular, the location in Mongolia as I have recently returned from there including the amazing Gobi Desert. I am always dreaming of new places and new beginnings so reading about one who did it was delightful. And interesting.
Kirstin Casey
Nov 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Vast Unknown: America's First Ascent of Everest
  • The Black Death
  • The International Bank of Bob: Connecting Our Worlds One $25 Kiva Loan at a Time
  • Road Trip to Redemption: A Disconnected Family, a Cross-Country Adventure, and an Amazing Journey of Healing and Grace
  • The Dark
  • The Sad Artist and Other Fairytales
  • Human Trafficking Around the World: Hidden in Plain Sight
  • Pilgrimage: My Journey to a Deeper Faith in the Land Where Jesus Walked
  • High Road To Tibet
  • The Riddle of Prague (The QuickSilver Legacy Series) (Volume 1)
  • Never Mind the Balkans, Here's Romania