Start by marking “The Strangled Queen (The Accursed Kings, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Strangled Queen (The Accursed Kings, #2)

The Strangled Queen

(The Accursed Kings #2)

‘This was the original game of thrones’ George R.R. Martin

The King is dead. Long live the King.

Philip IV is dead and his great kingdom is in disarray. It seems the fatal curse of the Templars is plaguing the royal house of France.

His son has been enthroned as Louis X; but with his disgraced wife Marguerite imprisoned in the Chateau Gaillard for her adultery, Louis can prod
Published September 26th 2013 by HarperCollins (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about The Strangled Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Strangled Queen

Jeffrey Keeten
”When one has governed men for a long time, when one has thought that one has acted for the best, when one knows the pains the task has entailed, and then suddenly sees that one has never been either loved or understood, but merely submitted to, then one is overwhelmed with bitterness, and wonders whether one could not have found some better way of spending one’s life.”

Philip IV, or as he is also known Philip the Fair, is dead. The curse that was cast upon him by the Templar Grand Master Jacques
Roman Clodia
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This picks up immediately after The Iron King: Philip The Fair is dead and his throne is inherited by his weak son, Louis X. In this installment of Druon's 7-book series we witness the machinations of Philip's old guard, especially the Machiavellian struggle between his brother Charles de Valois and his minister Enguerrand de Marigny; we find out the fate of Louis' wife Marguerite, and follow the intrigues around the nomination of the new pope, preferably one sympathetic to Louis.

This was writte
Helen
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in Maurice Druon's Accursed Kings series (Les Rois Maudits in French). There are seven novels in the series, all published between 1955 and 1977, telling the story of the monarchs of medieval France. The front covers of these new HarperCollins editions tell us that The Accursed Kings inspired George R.R. Martin's A Game of Thrones, but be aware that this is not a fantasy series!

In the first book, The Iron King, we saw how Philip IV the Fair of France brought about the des
Christine
Good sequel to the first novel. It's historical soap opera really. I do wish there were more women though. It does make me want to read more about the time period.
Susanna - Censored by GoodReads
3.5 stars. Not quite as much fun as The Iron King, but still a lot of fun.

For a further review: http://susannag.booklikes.com/post/13... .
Sud666
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Louis X, Louis le Hutin ("headstrong"), is now King of France. He wishes an annulment of his marriage to the cheating Marguerite. This is also about the machinations of the nobles to oust Marigny from his position. There is a lot going on here and Droun's wonderful historical fiction about the French Throne before the Hundred Years War is one of the best out there. It reads like a novel about a fictional family of ruthless bastards. But it is all true.

I have read many of the the books in this se
Samantha
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
With the glowing recommendation of GRR Martin, the Accursed Kings series is enjoying a resurgence in popularity. I loved the first book, The Iron King, and only waited this long to read the second installment due to my aversion to Kindle books that cost more than a couple of dollars.

The Strangled Queen begins where the Iron King ends, with the death of Phillip the Fair of France. His inept son becomes Louis X, and the fighting ensues over who will have the real power in France. Will it be the y
Claire
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: precinct-81
The second entry in Maurice Druon’s serie about the kings of France is just as good as the first part. For one not used to European history ,it might read like fantasy. In reality it is just power games in a time where dirty murder and dying was much more common and visible than today.

Natasa
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: french-history
This book was an enjoyable read as it continues the plot started so excellently in the first book. The plot lines are a little more simplified and the book a little more predictable and with less intrigue, but still somewhat satisfying.
Carolina Casas
"The Original Game of Thrones. Believe me the Starks and the Lannisters have nothing on the Capet and Plantagenets" -GRRM. From the second book of the Accursed Kinds recently re-issued with a word by George R.R. Martin about this historical fiction saga. I recently came across it and I was not disappointed despite my initial wariness of it. When it comes with most historical fiction I am wary as many liberties are taken. Characters here are multi-fascetic rather than two dimensional or one dimen ...more
Katherine Coble
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written like a really entertaining history class. 4.5 stars.
Even if it's the second book of a series of six books, this book can be considered as a stand-alone book.

The sequel of "Le Roi de Fer" tells the story of the successor of Philippe IV - Louis X. The plot starts with the imprisonment of Marguerite de Valois, followed by the his game of intrigue against the famous financier Marigny and the remaining feudal barons of the Order of the Templars.

I read a Portuguese version of this book and the translation was of bad quality.

As a Bookcrossing book, it w
Jonathan
“Men who love power are not only dominated, as is generally supposed, by an appetite for wealth and honors. Above all they are influenced by an objective taste for the creation of events, for controlling their occurrence, for acting upon the world with effectiveness and for being always in the right. Wealth and honors are no more than the signs and tools of their influence.”

“The modern man, when he tries to imagine the Middle Ages, generally believes that he must make a terrific imaginative effo
Dana
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book and would give it 5 stars but the audiobook narration leaves something to be desired for me. I know it's a personal preference but when changing storylines, the recording doesn't even take a quick split-second break. Sometimes I got confused on who was supposed to be talking or what they were talking about. But I found the story compelling and have already gotten the next in the series ready to read!
Daylin
Apr 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Another great installment. The good thing about these books is that they're short. Each one so far has been a little over 200 pages which is really nice because if these books were longer then that'd be an issue.
Sean O
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.

This is the second book of the Accursed Kings and the big spoiler is in the title.

It's good. And if you're reading this, You've probably read the first book.

The best character is the only "good" guy. (Good is relative in this book.)

Looking forward to the next book, but I'm not in a rush to read it, ya dig?
Bou
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Philip the Fair, the iron king, dies and is succeeded by his son, Louis X. Chaos ensues.
Augusto Bernardi
An excellent historical fiction book once again by the master, Maurice Druon. I'm not giving this book 5 stars not because it was bad or had something wrong with it, but rather because the first one was simply better and far more memorable.
Of course, all the characters had their complexity and I really liked the scenes which illustrate the lives the people were leading in the early 13 hundreds.
I'm not a fan of how Druon sometimes reveals what is going to happen later with the characters as if it
Charley Robson
A foreword by George R.R. Martin himself set this book up to be one of the greats of historical fiction, sire of a great tradition of complex, political novels, and the second installment of a series near-legendary for its greatness, and its scarceness outside the original French.

All of those things may be true - but I myself found it thoroughly underwhelming.

The melodramatic title certainly recounts one of the more dramatic events of its storyline, but for the most part this book is focussed on
Kalliope

This is the second volume in the saga of the Accursed Kings, the series that fictionalises the end of the Capetian line and the beginning of the Valois. My sense so far is that this will unfold as an almost unbroken narrative.

We begin now the phase of what would have seemed at the time an unlikely situation. King Philippe IV le Bel’s lineage came to a dead end in spite of having sired three sons who all survived to adulthood. The previous and first volume put on the pages the curse uttered by th
Sumeetha Manikandan
While the plot of the novel is pretty obvious, it still makes a very interesting read. King Philip IV is dead and France is in turmoil as the Grand Master of Templar’s curse seemed to work quite mysteriously.

Louis, his first born ascends the throne as the King though his disgraced wife and Queen Marguerite of Burgundy is still imprisoned. With no possible way out to get an annulment (as there was no Pope), Louis’s reign is fraught with controversies and the power struggle between his uncle Valoi
Matt
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THE KING IS DEAD! LONG LIVE THE KING! With the death of King Philip, Louis X assumes the Throne and all the issues left by his father. With the three imprisoned harlots awaiting a decision on their future, Louis must decide how to handle them; one being his adulterous wife Marguerite. A tainted reign is not something Louis wishes to have enter the history books, and so he seeks to annul his marriage and find a new queen. Agreements are made and a potential bride is found, Clemence of Hungary, a ...more
MrsER
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
La Reine Étranglé is the second volume of the series Les Rois Maudits by Maurice Druon. I am so glad I found these books, because the are excellent. In this series, for the first time, Druon reveals to his readers that he was helped by a group of researchers—among which was historian Pierre de Lacretelle. He did extensive research and had access to the Bibliotèque Nationale and the Archives Nationales, which he put to excellent use in the seven volumes of this fantastic series. I love medieval h ...more
Hamid
Apr 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this after devouring the Iron King a day before release and finished it on the same day. It picks up following the death of Philip IV and explores the relationships between three key characters - the new king, Louis X, Marigny and Charles de Valois - and a large cast of other players shaping the conflict. It's in this novel that Martin's comment in the Forward to the books that 'The Accursed Kings is the real Game of Thrones' really becomes apparent. Duron is master at quickly creating ...more
Sonja
Jul 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is written in the 1950s, and I have been quite impressed with it's easy and beautiful language. It is not at all heavy which older novels sometimes tend to be, but there is one thing that bothers me a little. I feel like Druon couldn't decide what genre of novel he wanted to write. Sometimes it feels like a book on history and other times it takes the form of a historical novel. He tends to give things away in the middle of the text, which would be fine for a book on history, but as a ...more
Neringa Ve
When I just heard about The Accursed Kings series I decided to read every part by myself and rate it. Unfortunately, my local library doesn’t have the first part at all, there was only second book and no more Maurice Druon works at all. However, knowing that every book doesn’t depends on each other that much I decided to read what I have.
It was hard to read in the beginning; a new, unknown for me era and completely different style of writing. In the very beginning it was hard to puzzle out where
Tanzanite
The second in his Accursed Kings series, The Strangled Queen takes up the story of Louis X of France and his adulteress wife, Marguerite of Burgundy. Although the title pretty much leaves little to the imagination as to what happens to poor Marguerite, the majority of the book focuses on the political struggle between the king, his nobles, his brothers and his uncles (especially Charles of Valois).

Druon is a really good writer but he has a nasty habit of yanking you of the story for some philos
Michaela
Apr 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second installment of The Accursed Kings series. This one centres around Louis X, the son of Philip the Fair, whose story was told in The Iron King. Let me tell you; Louis isn't a patch on his father. He's weak and pathetic and Maurice Druon did an excellent job of making him wholly unlikeable. His wife, Marguerite has been locked up for adultery since the reign of Philip the Fair and Louis is desperate for a divorce so that he can marry again. (view spoiler) ...more
Chris
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Accursed Kings, Book 2.
Philip the Fair is dead and his good-for-nothing son, The Hutin, has succeeded him. Amidst all the chaos and intrigue, his major concern is getting a new wife.
And the plot thickens. In fact it is now so thick you could pour it over a pot roast.
I loved it. Just as good as book 1 (you can read that review for more details). I've already purchased books 3 and 4.

p.s.The first two paragraphs of part 3, chapter 2, Monsieur Druon? Hmmm...
2017 Reading Chal...: The Strangled Queen by Marcus Druon 1 13 Jun 20, 2015 08:07AM

• Fortune de France
  • La reine soleil
  • Le Vicomte de Bragelonne II
  • The Man with the Lead Stomach
  • Catherine and Arnaud (Catherine, #4)
  • L'Allée du Roi
  • Aliénor d'Aquitaine
  • Роксолана
  • Flaunting, Extravagant Queen (French Revolution, #3)
  • Kings of Albion
  • La Chambre des dames
  • Saga Sigrun (Północna Droga, #1)
  • Aphrodite
Maurice Druon was born in Paris. He is the nephew of the writer Joseph Kessel, with whom he wrote the Chant des Partisans, which, with music composed by Anna Marly, was used as an anthem by the French Resistance during the Second World War.

In 1948 he received the Prix Goncourt for his novel Les grandes familles. On December 8, 1966, he was elected to the 30th seat of the Académie française, succee

The Accursed Kings (7 books)
  • The Iron King (The Accursed Kings, #1)
  • Los venenos de la corona (Los Reyes Malditos, #3)
  • La ley de los varones (Los Reyes Malditos, #4)
  • La loba de Francia (Los Reyes Malditos, #5)
  • La flor de lis y el león (Los Reyes Malditos, #6)
  • De cómo un rey perdió Francia (Los Reyes Malditos, #7)
“Mediocrities can tolerate being surrounded only by flatterers who conceal their mediocrity.” 11 likes
“It is thus that imagination can in the end determine destiny, and it but needs our future actions to be given shape in speech so that we are obliged to give them the reality of accomplishment.” 5 likes