Start by marking “The Girl from the Well (The Girl from the Well, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Girl from the Well (The Girl from the Well, #1)

The Girl from the Well

(The Girl from the Well #1)

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  6,177 ratings  ·  1,268 reviews
You may think me biased, being murdered myself. But my state of being has nothing to do with the curiosity toward my own species, if we can be called such. We do not go gentle, as your poet encourages, into that good night.

A dead girl walks the streets.

She hunts murderers. Child killers, much like the man who threw her body down a well three hundred years ago.

And when a s
Published August 5th 2014 by Sourcebooks Fire

To ask other readers questions about The Girl from the Well, please sign up.
Rin Chupeco The main inspiration for this book was from an old Japanese legend called the Bancho Sarayashiki. Yamamura Sadako, the Ring's villainess was also…moreThe main inspiration for this book was from an old Japanese legend called the Bancho Sarayashiki. Yamamura Sadako, the Ring's villainess was also based on that legend; hence any similarities (a well also figures heavily in the original Japanese tale). (less)
Madalyne Jesus It gets a little bloody and a lot dark, I would recommend waiting until she's old enough to handle decapitation.

·  6,177 ratings  ·  1,268 reviews

Miranda Reads
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“I am where dead children go.”
Just because she's dead, doesn't mean she doesn't have a life.

Okiku is one of Japan's most famous vengeful spirits - she's the Girl from the Well, star of many horror stories and horror movies.
Few stories start with death. Often, it starts with grief.
She was killed when the man who she loved betrayed her in the worst way possible...And for a while, she was just as bad as the movies portrayed her.

She killed, often, without mercy or rhyme or reason.

But not anymor
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
“I say it is an onryuu, yet I feel no hate from her."

“An onryuu with a conscience, kami help us."
Shimatta! (That means shit in Japanese). God help us, this is supposed to be our terrifying heroine? Kuso yaro! Sou desu ne?! Ramen! *insert random-ass Japanese word here for authenticity* Sukiyaki! Hentai! Bukkakke! Hello Kitty!

This book will be scary, they said. A cross between Dexter and The Ring, they said. Not fucking likely.

This was how scary the book was for me.

Trust me, I'm just as disappoi
Lola
description

Is this really supposed to be a horror book? Like...for real? I’m surprised to say this, since I usually never read this genre (because of the chicken that I am), but I found it very dull and never did I have some goose bumps while reading. Goose bumps are mandatory to me when reading a (supposedly) horror and creepy story.

If someone who has read The Forbidden Game by L.J. Smith and couldn’t sleep ALL NIGHT says this book was not scary, believe that person. On the other hand…that book was very d
Isa Lavinia

ARC provided by Sourcebooks Fire through Netgalley

TW: murder, mentions of rape

I don't own a TV.
Yeah, I know you're expecting me to go down the usual pretentious, "I don't own a TV, because books are the superior form of blah blah blah" but the truth is I don't own one because I am so crazy that after I watched The Ring I had to get rid of my TV.
There will be NO creepy kids climbing out of a well and into my house!

So when I got approved for this ARC I went, "Oh no, Isa. What have you done?"
Elise (TheBookishActress)
The thing that stands out about The Girl From the Well is the omnipotent, out-of-the-story narrator. Well, to be quite fair, Okiku isn't totally out of the story - she's actually a ghost who murders child rapists and abusers. And she is fucking awesome. Not only is she the morally grey girl villain we all needed, but she's also vividly developed and has a brilliant character arc.

This book is not outright terrifying, it's more just... unsettling. It's really creepy and atmospheric, with some goo
Faye, la Patata
Warning: Scary GIFS galore!

I posted some Asian Film Recommendations as an extra to posting this review on my blog. Check it out here and go marathon some scary movies!

Since I was young, I've always loved Asian horror films. I'm a fan of horror in general (who agrees with me that getting goosebumps is AWESOME?! No? No...? Okay...), but there's a certain quality in the Asian counterparts that I don't really see in Western works. For one, they incorporate their mythology in their films and litera
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always

Let's get one fact straight: I am a huge wuss. I hide behind pillows during horror movies and force people to come with me when I walk into dark rooms. I am freaking scared of dolls. Those Barbies I collected as a kid? I want to throw them all out the window. But after reading my first horror book, Anna Dressed in Blood, I thought I wasn't going to be as scared. Well, ha ha to myself.

That was my reaction throughout the book. I was happily enticed by all the mythology and Japanese histo
Sue (Hollywood News Source)

We are the fates that people fear to become. We are what happens to good persons and to bad persons and to everyone in between. Murdered deads live in storms without season, in time without flux. We do not go because people do not let us go.

I frankly haven’t heard of this book before, or I genuinely just don’t remember it, until, I read an article about it the other month. Read it here.

I usually shy away from anything horror related, mainly because I’m a complete wuss. Even though, I’ve seen ha
Giselle
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, own
Even with the great premise and creepy as heck scenes throughout, I can't say I liked this one much, unfortunately. Though this is all due to the writing, and if you're a fan of it you will have a much better experience with this book than I.

The writing is one that, although may work for some, I could never get used to. The narrative voices (plural because I "think" there were more than 1, but I'm not 100% sure…) are in 3rd person which is always harder for me to connect with regardless, but in
Neil (or bleed)
Aug 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
"It is only for few seconds. But when you have resigned yourself to an eternity filled with little else but longing, a few seconds is enough."

This book should be scary, right? But why it doesn't felt like one? If I could rate the scary/creepy level of this book from 1 to 5 (1 is the lowest and 5 is the highest), I will give it a 2.5.

There are few scary scenes that are scary enough but most are just okay. Meh. Compared to Nova Ren Suma's Imaginary Girls, this book fell short in terms of giving
Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic
The Girl from the Well successfully gave me the chills and scared the hell out of me and I didn't expect it. It was like The Grudge / The Ring (both Japanese version) in book form. I remember that time when my friends and I had The Grudge: Ju On movie marathon and there are lot of jump scares. Especially, Kayako Saeki crawling down the damn stairs and have this eerie voice is etched forever in my mind. After reading this book… YES! I finally found a good Halloween book!

The story is about a v
C.G. Drews
I have to shout one thing first, okay? Okay. Keep calm, just let me get this off my chest:

THIS WAS AMAZING AND SCARY AND FREAKISHLY FANTASTIC. IF YOU HAVE NOT READ IT YET, YOU'RE MISSING OUT.

Aaaand...I'm done. I am! I could end the review here, to be honest. But, I'm not positive you're convinced. (Although, in all honesty? Everyone knows I'm trustworthy and that if I like a book you ought to drop everything and rush out and read it.) But for the SKEPTICS, I will explain.

The Girl From The Well i
Miriam
Apr 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya
Hits all the cliche tropes and imagery of Japanese horror films and manga. Drowned girls with long dark hair and dark pits for eyes who hangs upside down from the ceiling or come through the mirror or tv. Light that mysteriously go out and flash on just long enough to see a shocking sight such as a man being dragged under a bed or into a closet. Pooling blood. Claw marks appearing on walls or skin. Creepy dolls (are there any other sort in films?). Because it relies on effects that are primarily ...more
Inge
This is a rare case of "sequel is better than prequel" for me. Where The Suffering was truly terrifying and had a magnificently scary setting, The Girl From the Well lacked that feeling. Told from Okiku's perspective, the whole story felt more distant and detached. Still, I enjoyed reading the beginning of this series, and more things make sense now.
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
“It is not in my nature to be interested in the living.

You can find this review and all of my other reviews at Novel Descent Thanks for the support!

I read this as one of my books during October because I was reading nothing but scary stuff. I thought this looked pretty cool but it didn't live up to its potential for me.

The Girl from the Well started off really great. This book has a surprising narrator - a young girl named Okiku, who just happens to be dead. She also happens to be a spirit
Figgy
WARNING - This review WILL include gifs and images that might disturb.

There's an issue with image links on GR right now, only half of them are showing up from time to time. Hopefully this will fix itself soon.

This book has been written up as a cross between The Ring and Dexter, but I actually felt it was equal parts The Ring:

The Grudge:

And a little bit of The Eye:
(This one makes more sense if you’ve seen the movie)

I had two very different reactions to this book.

The first was fear. The creep
TL
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
----
Not bad but underwhelming overall. Just expected.. "more"

*shrugs* Not much else to say really.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I would like to thank Netgalley and Sourcebooks for having this book available to read now.

The Grudge meets, The Ring, meets an awesome book! This book is creepy but in a good way. I loved it!

The girl from the well is named Okiku and she was killed years ago. Her ghost stayed around to kill people that murder children. She's really creepy at first, well she's creepy all along, but she's good! She certainly does some creepy things and makes some creepy noises. I would love to see this as a movi
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
After having read a few milder ghost stories I was in the mood for something darker, scarier, and down right thrilling.

What I wasn't expecting was this horrific, crazy, down right creepy story that would leave me turning the lights on at night and anxiously looking around for the ghosts that might be lurking in said darkness.

This read was fabulous! The perfect creepy blend of Japanese lore with American culture.

Ghosts, demons, doll possession, curses, mysterious tattoos, murderers, legends, and
Evelyn (devours and digests words)
'I am where dead children go.'

I've never read a Young Adult book with Asian lore sprinkled in. So when I found out that this features a Japanese horror story, I was morbidly excited and curious.

I open The Girl From The Well with one expectation.

It has to be batshit scary.

If anyone is familiar with the horror movies The Grudge or The Ring, then this book will remind you strongly of them. The Girl From The Well features a very restless and violent ghost who goes by the name Okiku. Like every other
Lynx
Nov 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, young-adult
The legend of Okiku is one of the most famous stories in Japanese folklore and has seen a massive resurgence in the past few decades with films like Ringu and Ju-On: The Grudge. This year we even have the film Sadako v Kayako, where the two Okiku inspired villians battle head to head. Rin Chupeco gives us new depth into Okiku's story, showing us more humanity then we are used to.

While many YA novels transcend the genre this wasn't one of them. Better written then your average R.L. Stine book but
Franco  Santos
No me gustó. Personajes que jamás lograron interesarme, historia muy cliché, no da miedo y en su mayor parte es aburrida. Literalmente no pasa nada hasta los últimos tres capítulos. No lo recomiendo.
Yodamom
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, horror
4.5 Japanese ancient myths & horror blend vey well in this modern tale. I am so happy to have found tis author and this series. The characters fit their rolls, they had believable reactions, it was easy to care about them and nobody was TSTL. Ding Ding winner. I already ordered box 2 in the series.
Jo
Jan 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, kindle, ya-ghosts
Loved the Japanese culture woven through the story. Loved that the narrator is a ghost of vengeance. Loved the lyrical and beautiful writing. This book was a treat to read. I didn't want to stop reading, and it definitely kept me on the edge of my seat. I don't know how scary it is compared to other horror books since I don't typically read in that genre, but I thought it was ok scary. Not too scary, but a nice even stream of intenseness. While I enjoyed the Japanese influence, there were points ...more
Mackenzi
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
To use some technical industry talk, this book scared the crap out of me.
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

It has been a long time since I’ve read a novel based on a myth so I really did not know what to expect from The Girl from the Well, though I am pleasantly surprised. This novel is based on a popular Japanese ghost story which was about a girl who was murdered, then thrown down a well, head first. As you may already know, I do not read horror novels all that often because quite frankly, I am a wimp. Talk about dolls and my imagination will go flying
Stephanie (Bookfever)
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stephanie (Bookfever) by: Jennifer
Starting The Girl from the Well I was a little on the fence about it because when it comes to Japanese horror stories I'm a total wuss. Really. The movie The Ring scared the crap out of me. And there were some seriously creepy parts in the book but I ended up really liking the story, especially the author's writing style.

This was really a unique story, in my opinion, because it was told from the point of view of Okiku, a centuries' old spirit that hunts down child murderers and unleashes her wra
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
3.5 Stars
This is dark and haunting tale of vengeful spirits, heavily inspired by Japanese horror. Considering this book is intended for a younger audience, I felt that it had some decently creepy scenes, with some unsettling sounds and images woven into the story. Even the writing itself was purposely unnerving with fragmented sentences, formatted in a way to unsettle the reader.

The story was heavily influenced by the Japanese traditions and cultural ideas about the spirit-world. Told from the p
Taylor Knight
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Girl from the Well is a very exciting and impressive debut from Rin Chupeco.
When I first seen this book in Barnes and Noble, I'd never seen it before or heard anything about it.
I guessed it was horror and grabbed right away. I'm really glad I did.

Right from the first page, this book got my full attention and never let go. I was really impressed with the
writing and concept. At times I was a little bit confused because of the fast pace but I think I was just reading too fast to take it all in.
Books like The Girl from the Well by Rin Chupeco??? 1 3 Oct 11, 2018 06:29AM
Books like The Girl from the Well by Rin Chupeco??? 1 2 Oct 11, 2018 06:28AM
Around the Year i...: The Girl from the Well, by Rin Chupeco 4 20 Sep 10, 2017 03:14PM
Mentor Texts: Mentor Texts 1 4 May 04, 2017 05:46AM
Into the Forest: The Girl From the Well with spoilers 18 16 Dec 10, 2015 07:21PM
  • Amity
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • MARY: The Summoning (Bloody Mary, #1)
  • Shutter
  • Of Metal and Wishes (Of Metal and Wishes, #1)
  • Beware the Wild (Beware the Wild, #1)
  • Servants of the Storm
  • The Fall
  • Welcome to the Dark House (Dark House, #1)
  • Falls the Shadow (Falls the Shadow #1)
  • Mistwalker
  • Dark Metropolis (Dark Metropolis, #1)
  • Insanity
  • (Don't You) Forget About Me
  • Fiendish
  • A Murder of Magpies
  • Of Monsters and Madness (Of Monsters and Madness, #1)
  • Glimpse
For updates, events, and new releases, sign up for her newsletter at http://www.rinchupeco.com/newsletter Unfortunately, I cannot accept friend requests at this time - Amazon detects these friends' lists on Goodreads and prevents the people on them from leaving book reviews!

------------------------

Despite an unsettling resemblance to Japanese revenants, Rin always maintains her sense of hummus. Bo

The Girl from the Well (2 books)
  • The Suffering (The Girl from the Well, #2)
“It is not in my nature to be interested in the living.

But there are many things, I have found, that defy nature.”
21 likes
“Dad says there are more than three thousand letters in the Japanese alphabet, which could pose a problem. There are only twenty-six letters in the English alphabet, and I get into enough trouble with them as it is.” 13 likes