Start by marking “The Pigeon Needs a Bath!” as Want to Read:
The Pigeon Needs a Bath!

The Pigeon Needs a Bath!

(Pigeon)

The Pigeon really needs a bath! Except, the Pigeon's not so sure about that. Besides, he took a bath last month! Maybe. It's going to take some serious convincing to try and get the Pigeon to take the plunge.
Published April 1st 2014 by Hyperion Books for Children

To ask other readers questions about The Pigeon Needs a Bath!, please sign up.
Anita Erskine I enjoy the Mo Willems book and this is no different. I read it to my 5 yr old great grandson and also to a second grade class where I volunteer. The…moreI enjoy the Mo Willems book and this is no different. I read it to my 5 yr old great grandson and also to a second grade class where I volunteer. The grandson and I laughed all the way through the book because he sometimes does not want to get a bath, and the pigeon's reasons are similar to his. Mo's books are silly and simple enough that beginning readers can enjoy them.(less)

Start your review of The Pigeon Needs a Bath!
Sophia Triad
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Life is so short. Why waste it on unimportant things. Like taking a bath.

Hahaha. I just love this bird!

Pigeon needs a bath and he tries to find excuses in order to avoid it. Until he is convinced to take a bath. And then, he doesn't want to stop and get out of the bathtub.

This book is hilarious. I don't care that it is a book for children, because for me it is one of the funniest books I have ever read.
Ronyell
Pigeon

I have been reading Mo Willems famous Pigeon series for eons now and it is great that Mo Willems has now written another new book for the Pigeon series called The Pigeon Needs a Bath! I must say that this latest installment of the fantastic Pigeon series is just as brilliant as its previous installments!

The bus driver comes back in this book to tell the readers that the Pigeon needs a bath. The pigeon refuses to take a bath, even though he is extremely filthy and he keeps trying to convince the
Banny Kirsten Marie Reviews
Hold on a second i'm dying........ Okay i think i am done...... No wait...... Okay......... Okay this time i am literally finished.....

Hey you...... Ya you..... You look like you have not laughed in a loooong time... Well just because you have not found anything funny is no excuse... This book is hilarious so pick it up, read it, and grab a box of tissues becausse your eyes are going to water this book is that funny.

Okay i'm back that weirdo who was just typeing is back to being serious... My
Rebecca
Billions of preschoolers are going to learn the phrase "purely coincidental."
Brent Weeks
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-lit
Probably best if your child doesnt like to bathe. Mine does, so the central conceit is lost on us. But still a good and funny book. ...more
Morris
Apr 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
The story here is hilarious, but the illustrations are the stars of the show. The full-page panels are particularly engaging with a lot to see. I'm not sure if the kids will be begging for this one at bedtime or if the parents will be. It's bound to be a favorite for the whole family.
Carmen
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Children, Parents
A little dirty, stinky, sassy pigeon does not want to take a bath, even though he needs one badly.

He tries everything to get out of taking a bath.

"Clean. Dirty. They're just words, right?

And

"Maybe YOU need a bath! YEAH! When was the last time YOU had a bath?!"

And

"What smell? I don't smell anything!

He finally gives in and agrees to take a bath. However, the process of getting the bath ready takes FOREVER. The water's too hot, too cold, there's too many toys, too few toys, the water is too hot
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
Small-fry adores these stories about the wacky bird, and I get a chuckle out of the sardonic (yet somehow still silly?) jokes. Its a win/win ...more
Chris
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious! Kids will relate and actually, so will adults. This google-eyed Pigeon is such a funny illustrated character.

Pigeon is kid-like in that he doesnt know what he wants/needs even though someone is telling him, you need a bath! . (Im using the male pigeon gender in my review). Hes dirty, hes smelly. Its not obvious to him until he actually looks and sees and feels the grime. Hes not remotely aware hes smelly until he sees the flies flying away from him the odor is so bad. Hey dude, you
Matt
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've never known pigeons to be stubborn birds, but this book may change my mind about the entire topic. From the opening page (literally, the title page), the pigeon tries to convince the reader that he is not in need of a bath. Filthy feathers and smelly vapours are discounted as normal, but the reader is sure not to be fooled. Even when this pigeon agrees to bathe, the bathtub experience is filled with moments of procrastination. However, in the end, the pigeon's need for a bath is conquered ...more
Scott Robins
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
So nice to see that after multiple books in the series, Willems still makes me laugh out loud and brings something fresh to these books every single time.
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
Check out more picture book reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Pigeon really needs a bath! Can we help his human friend convince pigeon that a bath would be a good thing?

This is the third pigeon book my nephew and I have read together and we LOVE THEM! This one is quite good and falls into that modern etiquette category. With a tongue in cheek sort of narrative style you convince the child reading that baths are necessary as the child and you convince the pigeon they are necessary!

The drawings
Becky
I love Mo Willems. I think if you were to go back and read all my reviews of Mo Willems' books, they'd all start the same gushy way. I do indeed love Mo Willems' work. I would never say--could never say--that my love for Pigeon matches my LOVE, LOVE, LOVE for Elephant and Piggie, I have grown fonder of this character over time. I think The Pigeon Needs A Bath may be my personal favorite from the Pigeon series.

This is how it begins:

Hi! I don't know if you've noticed, but the pigeon is filthy.
Anna (Bananas)
Mar 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book made me laugh on the first page - no, on the cover. There's just something about an obstinate bird.
Anna Nesterovich
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All bored parents
Shelves: childrens
I had never heard of Mo Willems before my son picked up this book at the library. And I must admit, I didn't expect much; the title didn't promise anything more than a regular boring-my-mind-out-while-reading-to-a-kid kind of book. So imagine my delight when I discovered that this one is so much more! It's actually fantastic! It has all those things going for it: Simple enough for a "beginning reader" to get through. At the same time, it's complex and interesting enough to entertain both a kid ...more
Nico
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kiddie-time
This was such fun. Both my Mom and sister were flabbergasted that I had never read a book in this series (or one by Mo Willems at all, for that matter). There's always time in the day to take 10 minutes and read about a picky and disagreeable pigeon. Note: if there's not time, make time. It will make you smile.
Rebecca
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, read-aloud
There is not much to say except the Pigeon has a new book. Just as funny as the others! Quick go get it and read it! Right now! Go!
Brenda
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: so-plain, meh
2.5 stars.
I like more the duckling than the pigeon...
Stephanie  Weatherly
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My kids loved this book about the pigeon not wanting to take a bath.
DaniellaSantina
So cute! So hilarious! So relatable! I read this with the kindergarteners today and they were giggling and mimicking Pigeons dramatic gestures. Great fun!! ...more
Zoë Bledsoe
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kids style
Prince William Public Library System
Filthy Pigeon needs a bath, but hes in denial until his flies abandon him because of his horrible smell. Contrary Pigeon thinks that a bath is the worst possible thing that could happen to him, and he tells you why, in no uncertain terms. As every childs alter ego, Pigeons voice rings true with the arguments, pouts and stalls that every parent has heard at bath time, or maybe even voiced in his or her own childhood.

Mo Willems simple (but not simplistic) visual style reads like a cross between a
Rachel
The Pigeon is back, and boy does he need a bath. His lovely blue is dusted with brown, and he smells to the point where even the flies run away. Problem is...he does not want a bath.

So begins his characteristic neurotic rant, and it is as funny as ever. Wild expressions, flapping wings, and that one eye says it all as he energetically expresses his opinions. At one point he even engages the reader when he asks about the last bath we took, and then he responds to our answer. After a while his
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Mo Willems + Pigeon = Awesomesauce

Anna Louise K.
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love Mo Willems. His humor and story telling skills are incredible. He didnt disappoint with his newest Pigeon book. I love how there are stink fumes drawn coming off Pigeon and the flies are even grossed out by him or is Pigeon a her gee, I never really thought about that *NOTE* just looked it up Mo Willems purposely doesnt have Pigeon being a guy or girl, thats why he likes animals, you dont have to say (I found that answer in a People Magazine interview) what gender the animal is. Very ...more
Victoria Moore
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
In "The Pigeon Needs a Bath" by Mo Willems you can tell from the cover this time the pigeon is going to be difficult. Covered in grimy brown dirt he doesn't care if he looks filthy or smells bad, because he doesn't understand the need for a bath. This book has a more factual feel to it that shows the reader how you can learn to enjoy something you might initially resist. For children, who might going through a feisty stage where they want to stand their ground, they would probably identify with ...more
Jocelin
Apr 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
The hilarity continues with the pigeon that is defiantly stubborn in taking instruction from anyone. I love this character! When our beloved pigeon gets dirty he aggressively believes that he does not need a bath. He tries to prove his point over & over again thinking he is totally fine. Of course, he realizes he does need a bath at the end & we are all the better for it.
I thought this was a funny story that will have both kids and adults laughing again & again. Keep the pigeon
Tim Vandenberg
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The legendary Mo Willems wins again!

This book *SO* reminded me of all the silly little quibbles I went through before finally getting in my bath as a 3-5 yr. old, as well as all the joys experienced once immersed in the "tub-ular" fun! Oh, if life only remained so simple & sweet!

VERY recommended! A MUST read for Mo Willems fans! (And pigeon fans....)

Note carefully: Several times Willems sneaks in little visual surprises from his other books, too! Fun!
Kaethe Douglas
May 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
No one at my house is currently an Early Reader. But I always look for Willems' books at the library, and check them out if they're in (they don't stay on the shelves long at all). I've now written about forty-seven versions of this but one more can't hurt: they're funny, the drawings are incredibly expressive, and I love Willems. And so do the kids.

Library copy.
Lynette
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I bought this at my daughter's school book fair. I'd never heard of it before but a quick flip of the pages convinced me it would be a fun read. I was not wrong. Both my kids (ages 5 and 8) love it. We use different voices for the pigeon to make him sound as silly as possible and the kids just roar with laughter. Great book!
Goodreads Choice ...: The Pigeon Needs a Bath! - July 2015 11 49 Jul 10, 2015 12:39AM

• The Day the Crayons Came Home
  • The Day the Crayons Quit
  • Marvin Wanted More!
  • Olivia and the Fairy Princesses
  • The Internet is Like a Puddle (Big Hug, #3)
  • آقای با كلاه و آقای بی كلاه
  • Chester's Back!
  • We Are Growing! (Elephant & Piggie like reading!, #2)
  • قدم یازدهم
  • خداحافظ راکون پیر
  • The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)
  • Little Mouse Wants an Apple [With CD]
  • The Worm
  • پس چندتا؟
  • گل اومد بهار اومد
  • Pete the Cat and the Itsy Bitsy Spider
  • The Empty Pot
  • Friendship is Like a Seesaw
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Dont Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didnt Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early

Pigeon (9 books)
  • Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!
  • Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late!
  • The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!
  • The Pigeon Has Feelings, Too!
  • The Pigeon Loves Things That Go!
  • The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!
  • The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? (Pigeon series)
  • The Pigeon Has to Go to School

Articles featuring this book

As we wrap up our 2018 Reading Challenge, we decided to ask our Goodreads coworkers a simple yet tough question: What were the ...