Start by marking “The Last Falcon” as Want to Read:
The Last Falcon

Read Excerpt

The Last Falcon

(Cael Stone #1)

Is it possible for a single falcon to save a kingdom?

Erynn Taylor was fourteen the day she witnessed the random and brutal murder of her father. She should have died that day too, alone on a forest road in a kingdom that was not her own, but a reclusive golden dragon swooped down upon the scene—scattering her attackers and sparing her life, but ultimately denying her justi
Published June 24th 2012 by Colleen Ruttan

To ask other readers questions about The Last Falcon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Falcon

Start your review of The Last Falcon
June
May 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-queue, first-reads
I'm giving this three stars based on what I read. So allow me to clarify my main problem with this book, it's an enjoyable read that I read from start to finish, however, it feels cut off. I am aware that the book is a series, but it feels like we only just got started on our journey and then suddenly it's the end.

Now whilst I do feel like the book is a complete exposition for the rest of the story, it is undeniably a good set-up. It's rare to see fantasy novels with strong female friendship bon
Bethany
My review doesn't do this book justice.

I feel kinda bad about my rating. First off, I won this from a First Reads giveaway. I'm gonna give it 3. Not because it wasn't a good book, but it just wasn't for me. I'm into fantasy, and sci-fi... but this one just wasn't my cup of tea. I would definitely recommend this book to someone who is more into the realms of fantasy, but for someone like me... I think you could take it or leave it.

I hate saying this, but I just couldn't get into it. Which, was
Megan Tully
Sep 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I won this as part of a First reads competition and to say I enjoyed this book would be an understatement.

The writing flowed seamlessly and all the characters were easy to identify with or understand. One of the things I really appreciated was that though the datails of the story were described enough for you to know exactly waht was going on they were not over embelished which allowed for me to use my own imagination to connect with the book throughout.

A fantastic start to what will hopefully
Samantha Pierce
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this book from a first-read giveaway & I am sure glad I did! It is the first part of a touching story of a very brave young girl who's adopted father gets murdered. A couple years later she finds things out about herself that change her life forever. This is a great, well written book and I could not put it down! I will be waiting for the next book to find out what happens. I highly suggest this book to everyone, even if you aren't into fantasy books go ahead & read the first few chapters. ...more
Jen Rothmeyer
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
A fast-paced fantasy novel of intrigue and adventure, The Last Falcon brings one to mind of Tad Williams’ The Dragonbone Chair (one of my favorite books of all time), Terry Brooks, Melanie Rawn, and their ilk. (Perhaps more famously, George R.R. Martin, Robert Jordan, and Terry Goodkind, although I’d argue my first set more.)

SYNOPSIS | Erynn Taylor is a young girl of fourteen when her father is murdered in front of her by a man with a limp and scars. A golden-colored dragon of unknown intentions
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full review also posted here on TotalTeenFiction.

I won this book from Goodreads in their first-reads giveaway, and it's been sat on my shelf for a while now. I've been putting it off partly because I was behind on books, and partly because it's fantasy and YA fantasy is a genre I've really struggled to get into. As soon as I started reading this book I regretted not reading it sooner!

The Last Falcon follows Erynn, who after losing her adoptive mother to illness and her adoptive father to murder
Sarah-Jayne Briggs
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
(I received this book for free as part of Goodreads First Reads giveaways).

(This review may contain spoilers).

This book did a really good job of pulling me into the storyline straight away. It was really easy to relate to Erynn as a characters and I quite liked the world that was created within the book.

I thought dragons were introduced and used particularly well in this book. Out of all the mythological creatures, dragons are probably my favourite. (There is actually a documentary-style film ab
Christian
Dec 11, 2013 rated it liked it
I won this book in goodreads giveaways. It's the second I've own and I was pleasantly surprised (partly because I couldn't even finish the first one). The Last Falcon is a fast moving book set in a world much like in the Inheritance Cycle (Eragon), with dragons, humans, dwarves and elves. While not as realistic as Eragon, it's a completely original story and is not as thick as the Inheritance books. The teaser in the description happens within the first couple pages, so beyond that a reader does ...more
Andrea
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways, dragons
I won this book through the Goodreads First Reads program, and I am so happy that I was given the chance to read this wonderful book.

Ruttan created a fascinating world. At first it seems your run of the mill sort of medieval world, and while there are mentions of dragons and elves, no one seems to be sure if they still exist anymore. That is, till a golden dragon saved the life of a fourteen year old girl named Erynn.

I really enjoyed Erynn as a heroine, she was strong and brave, but still just a
Van Phan
This book reminds me of a similar plot in Beowulf with a mixture of the series, The Chronicles of Narnia. Instead of a male, the story follows a young girl, Erynn, on her adventure with swords and mystical creatures to avenge her father’s death. She storyline moves at a consistent pace, it wasn’t too slow from the draggy details and it wasn’t too fast where all the actions and scenes are rushed in. I liked that there are just enough description to allow readers, especially young readers, to imag ...more
Ming Yang
Jan 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Although the story is very intricate and has a lot of depth, it felt difficult to follow at times. Names were briefly introduced, if introduced at all (more often just referenced), making it very difficult to follow the story at times - especially if one is not fully paying attention.

I think the characters for the most part were decently written and constructed. Some of them I would have liked to hear about more, but I understand that that is not really an option with that specific story plot.
Nancy
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Last Falcon is a great fantasy with a plucky orphan heroine on a quest to save her king and along the way find the answers she would risk her life to know.
Who are the enemies conspiring to control the kingdom of Alyria and maybe all of Valentia?
What is the legacy past to her by the mother she never knew?
What ties her to the golden dragon, Krystalix, who keeps swooping in when she is in danger?
Since this is the first volume in The Cael Stone series it ends with our heroine in peril and still
Marie
Dec 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-ya-bingo
This book is an interesting start for both a series and an author, but I felt it dragged in a few different places, and there were places I would have loved to feel more of a building excitement. I also felt like the dialog was a bit wordy, and could have been cut or edited in places to give it a better flow. But I am very interested in the dragons, and what might happen next. And lucky enough for me, I already have my hands on the second one from a goodreads giveaway!
Sabrina Bradley
Nov 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed reading this book..I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads. All the conspiracy and secrets and twists...now I have all these questions, but don't want to post them and spoil the book for others..can not wait for the next book!!! Thanks for giving this book on Goodread and thanks also for the autograph..my first autographed book!
Kris Dickinson
I enjoyed this story very much. Im sorry it took so long for me to read it. I will be looking for futire books from this author! :)
Jeanne
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Excellent read. Very engaging and entertaining from the get go. It left a lot of unanswered loose ties for book 2 but I'll be patient. Very good read.
Alexie Gregory
Dec 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I liked this book and am all about fantasy and dragons!! My local library doesn't carry the next one tho. :( Thanks for the chance to read this book
Vic
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Captivating

I didn't want to put it down. It was intriguing the way you found out information a little at a time, just enough to keep you wondering what would happen next. I would recommend this book.
Michelle
Good book

You people should just read this book yourselves and write your own review on this novel yourself and I really enjoyed reading this book very much so. Shelley MA
Darrian Ryce
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, from start to end and I cannot wait to read the second one! Its a great read for anyone who loves fantasy with strong female leads
Linda
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Dragon's and castles, right up my alley. Erynn was there when her father was murdered. When she took the news back to the King he was concerned and asked her to stay around and be his scribe. Erynn learns many things while she is at the castle, including the fact that Holden, the King's son is out to become the next King in any form or fashion that suits him, even though his older brother, Gareth, is truly the next King. However, Gareth is off to war and messages don't seem to be getting through ...more
Heather
Jun 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Good story. Just enough dragons and kings and subjects and servants. Erynn is taken in by the king when her parents die. Weird, yes. Why her? She seems to be a random girl but mate she isn't. She becomes a trusted scribe for the king but is also often punished by the cook with endless dishes to wash. Why things start getting exciting, it's hard to tell who Erynn can and should trust. It's a smidge bit annoying that her favorite phrase is "I don't understand". I'm sure she doesn't understand what ...more
Dennis Fahey
Jun 02, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bad YA, bad anything, even for free

Bad YA, bad anything, even for free

another self publishy/ed effort. the writing is competent, but plot, characters, believability lack. it just wasnt interesting enough to bother with. I managed to read about half, forcing myself, but, as I had no $ in this, that's where I quit. Nice writing skills, little else. Now I see a vol. 2 is out, surprise, I wont bother, believe me.
Min
Aug 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Enjoyed the book. The characters are interestingly drawn. The heroine is not as courageous as some writers tend to make the heros' or heroines' overly courageous, brave blah blah. The ending makes you want to read the next book for sure. A lot of gaps about some characters but I suppose that's the author's sneaky way of making you wanting to read the next book! haha. It sure does.
Cathi
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this even though it's YA. I was all set to get the second in the series when this one ended abruptly. I should say stopped, it didn't end. I hate books that don't end at the ending. I feel cheated. It's my rule to never buy the next in the series when the first doesn't end. Too bad, I really would have liked to know what happens to the girls and I like dragon stories.
H.E. Regis
Sep 21, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Won my copy of this in a giveaway here on goodreads, and am so glad I did. This book was one of the most enjoyable reads I have come across in a long time. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who's considering reading it!
Alisia
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway-wins
This book was really good. As soon as I got going on reading it, I couldn't put it down. Now I need to know what's going to happen to the ladies of this story. I highly recommend this book, if you're into the middle ages and dragons.
Bill Tillman
First novel of new series The Cael Stone. Great intro to new fantasy saga. Magic, dragons, mystery, intrigue. Will keep you glued to your reading chair. The hunt is on for the last falcon with life and death in the balance.
Bryan Brown
A fun,quick read. If you need a quick escape...it's a good one.

It's a pretty quick read, but entertaining. The characters develop quite a bit as you progress through the book. I'm guessing there will be more "meat" in the next one...which I am about to find out ;-)
Tony Parsons
a book I would luv 2 win/read
Goodreads Librari...: Duplicate Books 3 21 Mar 27, 2014 09:40AM
Goodreads Librari...: Updating Current Paperback Cover 3 15 Sep 29, 2013 12:19PM
Fantastic Fantasy...: FREE Giveaway of THE LAST FALCON 1 4 Sep 28, 2013 07:35AM
Goodreads Librari...: New Book Cover 9 40 Apr 24, 2013 06:02PM
Goodreads Librari...: No cover image for giveaway 3 29 Nov 14, 2012 12:36PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please Combine 2 Editions 6 36 Oct 06, 2012 02:56PM

• Sworn to Raise (Courtlight #1)
  • Sworn to Transfer (Courtlight #2)
  • The Rage of Dragons (The Burning, #1)
  • Sworn to Conflict (Courtlight, #3)
  • Sworn to Secrecy (Courtlight, #4)
  • Sworn To Defiance (Courtlight #5)
  • Innocent in Las Vegas (Tiffany Black Mysteries, #1)
  • World Whisperer
  • Blood and Thorne (Eva Thorne, #3)
  • Downward Cycle (Catalyst #1)
  • Lionheart - A Chasing Atlantis Thriller
  • Bound (The Witches of Doyle #1)
  • Train to Anywhere
  • Going Solo: My choice to become a single mother using a donor
  • The Fork, the Witch, and the Worm: Eragon (Tales from Alagaësia #1; The Inheritance Cycle World)
  • Kalanon's Rising (Agents of Kalanon #1)
  • The True Bastards (The Lot Lands, #2)
  • The Red Heir (The World Reborn, #1)
Colleen Ruttan grew up in North Vancouver, BC, and currently lives in Chilliwack, BC. She is the author of THE CAEL STONE, a traditional fantasy adventure story being told over the course of several books, and is currently hard at work on the third volume of the story (THE RING & THE CROWN). The first volume, THE LAST FALCON, received a starred review from Publishers Weekly and was listed on the K ...more

Cael Stone (2 books)